Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/30/2022 11:50:24 PM EDT
So our leadership decided a few months ago that the week between Christmas and New Years the company would be closed.  Our B2C sales engine runs on its own and customer service is non-US and 24/7, so closing is of no real impact, and most vendors and B2B biz dev operations are suspended for the holidays or slow on the other end anyway, so it's an easy and cheap showing of goodwill to the vast majority of company employees.  I work with some of the MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working people I've ever met.  Real top of their game, pull out all the stops, FAANG quality types who will be online and available 5am-2am if necessary.

I immediately get COVID the day before Christmas Eve.  CEO decides that 2-3 "high priority" things MUST be worked on over this week, and specifically one smaller thing on Christmas Day, so I push through, half COVID-crazy, and exhausted, setting up docs for input from the rest of the team...and the rest of the team just...never...shows...up...

People who are "always on" are NOT answering emails...management is pushing "hey, this needs done today" - then transitions to "hey this needs done tomorrow" - then "hey, how much time do you need?" - and just crickets...it was the funniest thing to watch unfold..."hey, guys, anyone out there...heeellloooo?"  Finally today I realize I didn't even grant document access to most of the team (but I sent the link) and none of them even asked for access until a couple popped up late this afternoon.

I think I took 5 vacation days this year, and ended up working on most of them, and most of the leadership team is in the same boat, they just all noped out for the holidays, it was magnificent to watch.  Unfortunately I was supposed to use this week to make some side money, so this intrusion and COVID has probably cost me $3-5,000.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on vacation, can you give a summary?

TLDR
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TLDR
View Quote
Leadership staged a revolution for the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you much more satisfied in life working all those days?  

Most in GD would be.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TLDR

That sucks, I was just being a smart ass, sorry.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Most in GD would be.
View Quote
I need purpose, and it's a good time in my life to build some savings for things to come, but it's not a "forever" track.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I responded reflexively because your response felt very much like a Slack I am used to seeing...
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I turned off all forms of communications related to work this week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I responded reflexively because your response felt very much like a Slack I am used to seeing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe time to look around?  Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You came down with the Shanghai sniffles and weren't put in an induced coma and vent? You really are a trooper. You are also replaceable, contrary to what you believe.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if you're taking it in stride, or venting your disgust. Kind of hard to get a read on it.

This thread will soon turn into a bragging contest with guys who boast about never taking time off, working 70-80 hours a week, answering the phone or emails on weekends, and of course thinking that being a company man somehow grants them immunity from getting fucked just like the guy who doesn't kill himself for his job. There will also be plenty of principled capitalist conservatives who will tell you to shut the fuck up and be grateful to the CEO that you have the privilege of working for benevolent business "leaders" like him, that in their day they never got time off so how dare you expect any, and of course, parrot arfcom's favorite principled capitalist conservative virtue signaling one liner of "his/their business his/their rules if you don't like it start your own company...".
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most in GD would be.
View Quote
If you ain't willing to work Christmas Eve, don't bother showing up Christmas morning!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I drove around town all day with a trailer full of freight, half of the stops I couldn’t deliver because the customers were closed. I then had a long list of pickups, almost none of which I could get because they were also closed. I basically got paid to ride around in the city all day. I could have taken another PTO day & been fine, but the bosses decided to run the city drivers while everyone else got the day off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TLDR

Fuck’em!  The limits of tyrants and all of that!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure if you're taking it in stride, or venting your disgust. Kind of hard to get a read on it.

This thread will soon turn into a bragging contest with guys who boast about never taking time off, working 70-80 hours a week, answering the phone or emails on weekends, and of course thinking that being a company man somehow grants them immunity from getting fucked just like the guy who doesn't kill himself for his job. There will also be plenty of principled capitalist conservatives who will tell you to shut the fuck up and be grateful to the CEO that you have the privilege of working for benevolent business "leaders" like him, that in their day they never got time off so how dare you expect any, and of course, parrot arfcom's favorite principled capitalist conservative virtue signaling one liner of "his/their business his/their rules if you don't like it start your own company...".
View Quote
In the circles I work in, it's rare for labor to speak up, no less perceptibly revolt.  It's definitely a culture of high output, high stress on a normal day, and people take pride in that.  Our company took it a step further recently and told a bunch of high-performing people that they would need to do better, taking a line from Elon Musk but applying it to people who were already at max effort/capacity.  I specifically told them that that was a shit idea and would backfire, and now it has.  I'm somewhat hopeful that this will drive some change, but I'm also happy that I'm not alone in finding this to be just a bit much to expect of people.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Feels good, doesn’t it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
It sounds to me like you need a better job.    Screw people with zero respect for you and your life.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So our leadership decided a few months ago that the week between Christmas and New Years the company would be closed.  Our B2C sales engine runs on its own and customer service is non-US and 24/7, so closing is of no real impact, and most vendors and B2B biz dev operations are suspended for the holidays or slow on the other end anyway, so it's an easy and cheap showing of goodwill to the vast majority of company employees.  I work with some of the MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working people I've ever met.  Real top of their game, pull out all the stops, FAANG quality types who will be online and available 5am-2am if necessary.

I immediately get COVID the day before Christmas Eve.  CEO decides that 2-3 "high priority" things MUST be worked on over this week, and specifically one smaller thing on Christmas Day, so I push through, half COVID-crazy, and exhausted, setting up docs for input from the rest of the team...and the rest of the team just...never...shows...up...

People who are "always on" are NOT answering emails...management is pushing "hey, this needs done today" - then transitions to "hey this needs done tomorrow" - then "hey, how much time do you need?" - and just crickets...it was the funniest thing to watch unfold..."hey, guys, anyone out there...heeellloooo?"  Finally today I realize I didn't even grant document access to most of the team (but I sent the link) and none of them even asked for access until a couple popped up late this afternoon.

I think I took 5 vacation days this year, and ended up working on most of them, and most of the leadership team is in the same boat, they just all noped out for the holidays, it was magnificent to watch.  Unfortunately I was supposed to use this week to make some side money, so this intrusion and COVID has probably cost me $3-5,000.
View Quote

Nobody cares. Theyll replace you before your carcass hits the floor.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually take a total of 4-5 weeks of vacation most years. I go radio silence, I don’t give a fuck if the company will cease to exist if I don’t answer a phone call. When I’m not “at work” my time doesn’t belong to them. Somehow I’ve still managed to always be an asset and well rewarded employee. It’s sad what American society has come to consider as a normal work/life balance.

ETA: This reminded me of something I read the other day, half of American workers don’t even use the PTO they are given by employers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I drove around town all day with a trailer full of freight, half of the stops I couldn’t deliver because the customers were closed. I then had a long list of pickups, almost none of which I could get because they were also closed. I basically got paid to ride around in the city all day. I could have taken another PTO day & been fine, but the bosses decided to run the city drivers while everyone else got the day off.
View Quote

Fine business "leaders" they are. They spent a bunch of money burning expensive diesel fuel, putting wear on trucks, and paying guys who couldn't really get anything productive done.

Many on this site will still trip over one another to suck that sweet corporate cock.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Using acronyms that are not common knowledge is queer.  Stop it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In todays market… doubtful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
When I'm at work I'm 100% work....when I'm on my own time I'm 0% work
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s already told us his leadership has their heads up their asses, they won’t think that far ahead
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Working when the rest of the country is off is a lot of fun.
Today I was one of, maybe, ten people working in a 30 story office building.
Talk about relaxed atmosphere.

In your case, op, I'd be with the rest of your cohorts.  Fuck that horseshit.
Upon your return tell the C suite guys you were on a cruise with no internet,  sorry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Working when the rest of the country is off is a lot of fun.
Today I was one of, maybe, ten people working in a 30 story office building.
Talk about relaxed atmosphere.

In your case, op, I'd be with the rest of your cohorts.  Fuck that horseshit.
Upon your return tell the C suite guys you were on a cruise with no internet,  sorry.
View Quote
I try to vacation places without cell service, and inevitably "something" happens and I can't leave the hotel until 1 pm or have to drive somewhere to find cell service.  I think it's easier to just have a phone handy, at least then it doesn't disrupt more of my day - so reconsidering my vacation options.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#27]
"Something" will always happen that needs solving, and when you leave the next guy will have to figure it out. Don't get to feeling special over it just because it was your turn to be worker bee of the month.

Stop letting your career cuck your family.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In the circles I work in, it's rare for labor to speak up, no less perceptibly revolt.  It's definitely a culture of high output, high stress on a normal day, and people take pride in that.  Our company took it a step further recently and told a bunch of high-performing people that they would need to do better, taking a line from Elon Musk but applying it to people who were already at max effort/capacity.  I specifically told them that that was a shit idea and would backfire, and now it has.  I'm somewhat hopeful that this will drive some change, but I'm also happy that I'm not alone in finding this to be just a bit much to expect of people.
View Quote

Sounds similar to the hospital systems...then they all hemorrhaged staff.  Short sighted, apathetic MFers in the C suites ??
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#29]
What do you do for side money?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#30]
"I want 4 weeks PTO in addition to standard accruals, with no limitations in the offer letter"

I will agree with rollover policies by taking the time. Do I get looks from the guys that never take PTO and lose several weeks a year? Yup. Fuck those slaves.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I try to vacation places without cell service, and inevitably "something" happens and I can't leave the hotel until 1 pm or have to drive somewhere to find cell service.  I think it's easier to just have a phone handy, at least then it doesn't disrupt more of my day - so reconsidering my vacation options.
View Quote

Yeah, that's still a bummer, man.
Completely unplugging is extremely difficult but sometimes has to be done for your own sanity and physical health. Stress is a mother fucker.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I sold my soul for quite a long time.  My personal life was an afterthought.
DON'T DO THAT SHIT!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#32]
lost me at got Covid, meaning you are a tester, meaning you are a jabber

this is what I got for you

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:15:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been on vacation since December 21st. Haven't thought about work at all. Must be miserable constantly thinking about work.

Also Pure blood master race checking in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/crycryGirl-329.gif

View Quote

That is what you get out of this thread?

Go away loser.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol...equestrians
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus, dude.

Maybe try not to be quite such a dick?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Power in numbers and all it takes is for a few people on a same team to collude for the better.  Of course that also means being ready to face the music too. Don't be a doormat.  Employed the same tactics during the COVID vaccine hysteria.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#38]
This is a slow time at work for our company.  They told us to take as many days off as we want and they will pay us half time every day.  So my next paycheck will be for about half of what it usually is, but it is better than burning full PTO days.  I guess it's sort of like a "retainer".  

I go back Thursday and Friday next week.  Hopefully they will have work that isn't just "busy work", but it is the slow season.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't know being French was contagious. Next thing you know they'll be taking August off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:.

I think I took 5 vacation days this year, and ended up working on most of them,
View Quote

I doubt you make anything worth that bull shit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You came down with the Shanghai sniffles and weren't put in an induced coma and vent? You really are a trooper. You are also replaceable, contrary to what you believe.
View Quote

So are employers.   It works both ways.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Feels good, doesn't it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feels good, doesn't it.
Absolutely glorious. I am an expert at unplugging and NGAF
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is a slow time at work for our company.  
View Quote
Maybe for you you. I have one speed: GO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What do you do for side money?
View Quote
Lawyerin'
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

What would be the cutoff @cheekibreeki ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I didn't know being French was contagious. Next thing you know they'll be taking August off.
View Quote

F'n HA!!
Did some work with a place that had an assembly line which broke down and couldn't be fixed because two parts, for whatever reason, had to come from Italy.
The place that made the parts was on vacation for the summer and couldn't be bothered.

In the US we'll check email and VM daily while on vacation. (Guilty here).

In Europe and other places they'll get back to you when they get fucking back in a month or two.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't forget your TPS reports.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough to comfortably retire many years early so that you could at least try to catch up a little on the life you missed out on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I take my time away from work very seriously. If I'm on vacation, then I'm on vacation. I don't answer calls from work. I don't respond to emails from work. It's basically like I don't have a job for however long I'm on vacation. Don't like it? I don't give a fuck!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:09:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

F'n HA!!
Did some work with a place that had an assembly line which broke down and couldn't be fixed because two parts, for whatever reason, had to come from Italy.
The place that made the parts was on vacation for the summer and couldn't be bothered.

In Europe and other places they'll get back to you when they get fucking back in a month or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F'n HA!!

They played for a long time but the bill is coming due. Europe is probably going to be de-industrialized in the next 20 years. Energy will be too expensive to run factories there.

But the bill's coming due for us as well, running up debt like there's no tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top