BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I rarely look at electronics when I go on vacation. Maybe I check stocks a couple times or text some friends. If I'm at the beach I just leave my phone at the house. You should leave all your electronics at work on Friday when you go on vacation.
View Quote
I'm fully remote and the electronics belong to me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Working when the rest of the country is off is a lot of fun.
Today I was one of, maybe, ten people working in a 30 story office building.
Talk about relaxed atmosphere.

In your case, op, I'd be with the rest of your cohorts.  Fuck that horseshit.
Upon your return tell the C suite guys you were on a cruise with no internet,  sorry.
View Quote

I love working when nobody else is there…. I get to put out my own fires and work on my own shit instead of putting out someone else’s.

This holiday I worked the three days between the long weekends and got caught up. Nobody around, and they bought us lunch and bagels/coffee because some folks came in to do year end inventory.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked for a guy who had some weird work rules.  Such as....

Men had to work half day Saturdays.  Women did not.  You were to find sometime to do.  We were office rats.

Men were expected to attend Wednesday morning bible study.

If you got your job done early, you had to stay until quitting time because leaving early would send a bad signal.  Even if you had nothing left to do.  He hired a lady to do this one job.  She did it efficiently and left mid afternoon.  She was called into the office and asked to explain herself.  She told him "All my work was done.  There was no reason for me to sit at a desk doing nothing."  He told her that she had to stay until 5:30 whether she had finished her work or not.  She came in the next day, did her work, went into his office and quit.  She was difficult to replace.

One Christmas, like this year, Christmas Eve fell on a Saturday.  The men had to come in.  There was nothing to do but sit around.  I didn't even work in the same building as the boss, but I followed orders because jobs were hard to find in my little town.

That half day of idiocy cost him plenty.  It was a source of long running resentment.  Many employees remembered it when there was real work to do.  They simply slowed down and gave less of a shit.

If you give people jobs that have clearly defined goals and then require them to stick around even after the job is done, you will make people angry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't begin to equate MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working, top of their game, pull out all the stops people to FAANG quality types at all.

If your organization can't get what needs to be done in 2080 hours/yr/person (and more realistically 1800/yr/person with federal holidays, sick leave, and PTO), it means that leadership is incompetent or values its personnel very little. Probably both, and more if someone really had a look under the hood. Culturally, I'd say it's time to move on.
View Quote
Universally no, FAANG is no guarantee.  But the folks we hire are used to high pace, have gone through rigorous interviews and intelligence testing, have managed high performance teams and had large budgets.  We're not hiring out of college or the local hardware store, nor are we hiring the yoga room/lunch on tap do-nothing Twitter millennials.  It's people who have proved themselves and who are valuable.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's how it works?  You cut everyone's pay, tell them they suck and if they don't work harder they're all going to be replaced even though they are operating far above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect?  Many people have quit, good hard-working people, but management has convinced themselves that its just the losers self-selecting out.
View Quote

So why are you still there then?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because even though it's 24/7/365, there are enough gaps in that to do a side job.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I usually take a total of 4-5 weeks of vacation most years. I go radio silence, I don’t give a fuck if the company will cease to exist if I don’t answer a phone call. When I’m not “at work” my time doesn’t belong to them. Somehow I’ve still managed to always be an asset and well rewarded employee. It’s sad what American society has come to consider as a normal work/life balance.

ETA: This reminded me of something I read the other day, half of American workers don’t even use the PTO they are given by employers.
View Quote

I’d be curious to see the asterisks next to that stat. I probably don’t, they pay me out on some hours
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Universally no, FAANG is no guarantee.  But the folks we hire are used to high pace, have gone through rigorous interviews and intelligence testing, have managed high performance teams and had large budgets.  We're not hiring out of college or the local hardware store, nor are we hiring the yoga room/lunch on tap do-nothing Twitter millennials.  It's people who have proved themselves and who are valuable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't begin to equate MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working, top of their game, pull out all the stops people to FAANG quality types at all.

If your organization can't get what needs to be done in 2080 hours/yr/person (and more realistically 1800/yr/person with federal holidays, sick leave, and PTO), it means that leadership is incompetent or values its personnel very little. Probably both, and more if someone really had a look under the hood. Culturally, I'd say it's time to move on.

you must throw money at people, because people like that are smart enough to see bullshit work environments, and would move quickly to the next place.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Using acronyms that are not common knowledge is queer.  Stop it.
View Quote

CEO is chief executive officer
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I know of nobody who ever went to their grave wishing they had worked more for their company, spent more time away from their families, and took less vacation.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because even though it's 24/7/365, there are enough gaps in that to do a side job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keeping a shitty job, because it lets you have a side job are unusual life goals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know of nobody who ever went to their grave wishing they had worked more for their company, spent more time away from their families, and took less vacation.
View Quote

welcome to GD, they'll be along shortly
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

you must throw money at people, because people like that are smart enough to see bullshit work environments, and would move quickly to the next place.
View Quote
We've managed to attract a few people who really hate failing and have put in the time to try, mostly for equity, but they end up leaving.  Most of the company turns over every 18 months.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
The company i work for does not have my cell phone number or my email address.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I lost some PTO this year, for the first time ever.  I was pretty annoyed with it.  The guy I have traditionally switched off weeks with in December moved to a different department in October or so, leaving no time to train anyone.  I did a few afternoons off, and had some nice slack work days this week, but was bummed to have to lose 50 hours or so.  Guy should have given me enough heads up to train someone else.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this your CEO?

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A CEO (MORNING ROUTINE) | #skit

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I get 6 weeks PTO plus 12 holidays per year. I will not allow a single hour expire or roll over, and I won't work a single minute while on vacation.

But out culture doesn't expect me to, so win win. Plus, my guys are capable of covering when I'm not there, I prepare them so.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I try to vacation places without cell service, and inevitably "something" happens and I can't leave the hotel until 1 pm or have to drive somewhere to find cell service.  I think it's easier to just have a phone handy, at least then it doesn't disrupt more of my day - so reconsidering my vacation options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working when the rest of the country is off is a lot of fun.
Today I was one of, maybe, ten people working in a 30 story office building.
Talk about relaxed atmosphere.

In your case, op, I'd be with the rest of your cohorts.  Fuck that horseshit.
Upon your return tell the C suite guys you were on a cruise with no internet,  sorry.
I try to vacation places without cell service, and inevitably "something" happens and I can't leave the hotel until 1 pm or have to drive somewhere to find cell service.  I think it's easier to just have a phone handy, at least then it doesn't disrupt more of my day - so reconsidering my vacation options.

OP, stop, just stop.  When you are on vacation w/ the family be there w/ them, not trying to find cell service so you can deal w/ work.  Work will be there when you get back.

If management cannot/does not have someone to cover while you are gone that is a serious flaw on their end.  What if you don't come back?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
100% of the people in this thread saying "Fuck them, I'm on vacation" spend 40% of their time on the job fucking off posting on ARFCOM (and a raft of other social media) and are completely unable to see the parallel.
View Quote

Sure thing hard charger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Whoa, that was scary. Legal team clutch tho!  I'm safe.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We've managed to attract a few people who really hate failing and have put in the time to try, mostly for equity, but they end up leaving.  Most of the company turns over every 18 months.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get 6 weeks PTO plus 12 holidays per year. I will not allow a single hour expire or roll over, and I won't work a single minute while on vacation.

But out culture doesn't expect me to, so win win. Plus, my guys are capable of covering when I'm not there, I prepare them so.
View Quote

That’s the key.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
You work on some kind of slave plantation bro.

I'd have three interviews booked the next fucking day.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Leadership staged a revolution for the holidays.
View Quote

How did leadership stage one if they are the ones pushing to get work done?  Don't you mean they caused one?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I used my last 2 sick days yesterday and today. I've got a 5 day weekend and go back Wed.  I did the same last week. ??
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I usually take a total of 4-5 weeks of vacation most years. I go radio silence, I don’t give a fuck if the company will cease to exist if I don’t answer a phone call. When I’m not “at work” my time doesn’t belong to them. Somehow I’ve still managed to always be an asset and well rewarded employee. It’s sad what American society has come to consider as a normal work/life balance.

ETA: This reminded me of something I read the other day, half of American workers don’t even use the PTO they are given by employers.
View Quote

I used my 4 weeks vacation, 4 personal days, 1 floating holiday, most every bank holiday we get, and today I used my last freebie sick day.  They give them, I use them.  Plus I had wuflu in spring and got 6 more days that didn't come out of my sick days but were paid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Gets to be like a cult.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fine business "leaders" they are. They spent a bunch of money burning expensive diesel fuel, putting wear on trucks, and paying guys who couldn't really get anything productive done.

Many on this site will still trip over one another to suck that sweet corporate cock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drove around town all day with a trailer full of freight, half of the stops I couldn’t deliver because the customers were closed. I then had a long list of pickups, almost none of which I could get because they were also closed. I basically got paid to ride around in the city all day. I could have taken another PTO day & been fine, but the bosses decided to run the city drivers while everyone else got the day off.

Fine business "leaders" they are. They spent a bunch of money burning expensive diesel fuel, putting wear on trucks, and paying guys who couldn't really get anything productive done.

Many on this site will still trip over one another to suck that sweet corporate cock.

Leadership vs delegation.

Quoted:
Quoted:
In the circles I work in, it's rare for labor to speak up, no less perceptibly revolt.  It's definitely a culture of high output, high stress on a normal day, and people take pride in that.  Our company took it a step further recently and told a bunch of high-performing people that they would need to do better, taking a line from Elon Musk but applying it to people who were already at max effort/capacity.  I specifically told them that that was a shit idea and would backfire, and now it has.  I'm somewhat hopeful that this will drive some change, but I'm also happy that I'm not alone in finding this to be just a bit much to expect of people.

Sounds similar to the hospital systems...then they all hemorrhaged staff.  Short sighted, apathetic MFers in the C suites ??

Sounds like the staff needs to get a reality check about what it prides itself in & stop being door mats for management. Nothing is free, & I'm going to wager that management benefits at the expense of their subordinates' personal lives, & if there's any kind of justice, the staff will rethink their priorities & bail to leave management with their self-made sinking ship, as it should be. Because I despise the new age sociopathic culture of modern business management.

Quoted:

Sounds like a listing ship.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How did leadership stage one if they are the ones pushing to get work done?  Don't you mean they caused one?
View Quote
No.  Leadership team, under CEO.  Everyone below leadership was off for real.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

My favorite lunch places on the road lacked cell service.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's still a bummer, man.
Completely unplugging is extremely difficult but sometimes has to be done for your own sanity and physical health. Stress is a mother fucker.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I sold my soul for quite a long time.  My personal life was an afterthought.
DON'T DO THAT SHIT!!
View Quote

I did that for years for work and missing on family things that I was a few hours away from.  The worst thing I did was fail to get home to say good bye to my great aunt who was much more in our lives than my grandmothers.  Mom was telling me I should come home soon but didn’t convey how bad off she had gotten.  I “had” to work that holiday weekend.   I was too young and stupid to simply take PTO, they could manage without me.  I regret how that went and resolved to never have it happen again. .

Work always said family came first but if you stuck around they would use you.  When my own mom was failing they bent over backwards and just told me take whatever time I needed.  I took it and spent a lot of time with her in the hospital.  No regrets.   I have a friend dealing with a similar circumstance and I am trying to be there for him.  He’s doing it right but it still is rough.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is a slow time at work for our company.  They told us to take as many days off as we want and they will pay us half time every day.  So my next paycheck will be for about half of what it usually is, but it is better than burning full PTO days.  I guess it's sort of like a "retainer".  

I go back Thursday and Friday next week.  Hopefully they will have work that isn't just "busy work", but it is the slow season.
View Quote

That is a pretty good deal for both employee and employer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#36]
HR nagged me in November to get my vacation days in before the end of the year.
This past week was paid time off for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Men had to work half day Saturdays.  Women did not.  You were to find sometime to do.  We were office rats.

If you got your job done early, you had to stay until quitting time because leaving early would send a bad signal.  Even if you had nothing left to do.  He hired a lady to do this one job.  She did it efficiently and left mid afternoon.  She was called into the office and asked to explain herself.  She told him "All my work was done.  There was no reason for me to sit at a desk doing nothing."  He told her that she had to stay until 5:30 whether she had finished her work or not.  She came in the next day, did her work, went into his office and quit.  She was difficult to replace.

One Christmas, like this year, Christmas Eve fell on a Saturday.  The men had to come in.  There was nothing to do but sit around.  I didn't even work in the same building as the boss, but I followed orders because jobs were hard to find in my little town.

That half day of idiocy cost him plenty.  It was a source of long running resentment.  Many employees remembered it when there was real work to do.  They simply slowed down and gave less of a shit.

If you give people jobs that have clearly defined goals and then require them to stick around even after the job is done, you will make people angry.
View Quote

Whoa, Nelly. That's straight up illegal. A dime needs droppin'.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

agreed!

You running a broke dick District Attorney’s office in a destitute county?

18 month turnover from the top professionals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

A whole lot of WTF going on there.

Sounds like some kind of cult.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Using acronyms that are not common knowledge is queer.  Stop it.
View Quote

B2B and B2C maybe aren’t common knowledge if you’re 14 years old. Or maybe if you work on a factory line. Otherwise, they’re pretty common knowledge.

But really, OP, nobody cares. Nobody at your company respects you because you work on Christmas Day. In fact, you’re the chump.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What would be the cutoff @cheekibreeki ?
View Quote

I wouldn't take such shitty work-life balance for less than $150k, and I'd still have to think a lot about it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wouldn't take such shitty work-life balance for less than $150k, and I'd still have to think a lot about it.
View Quote
It's alot more than that
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#43]
the less i work the better life is.
we are not on the same tracks lol. good luck to you

Quoted:
So our leadership decided a few months ago that the week between Christmas and New Years the company would be closed.  Our B2C sales engine runs on its own and customer service is non-US and 24/7, so closing is of no real impact, and most vendors and B2B biz dev operations are suspended for the holidays or slow on the other end anyway, so it's an easy and cheap showing of goodwill to the vast majority of company employees.  I work with some of the MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working people I've ever met.  Real top of their game, pull out all the stops, FAANG quality types who will be online and available 5am-2am if necessary.

I immediately get COVID the day before Christmas Eve.  CEO decides that 2-3 "high priority" things MUST be worked on over this week, and specifically one smaller thing on Christmas Day, so I push through, half COVID-crazy, and exhausted, setting up docs for input from the rest of the team...and the rest of the team just...never...shows...up...

People who are "always on" are NOT answering emails...management is pushing "hey, this needs done today" - then transitions to "hey this needs done tomorrow" - then "hey, how much time do you need?" - and just crickets...it was the funniest thing to watch unfold..."hey, guys, anyone out there...heeellloooo?"  Finally today I realize I didn't even grant document access to most of the team (but I sent the link) and none of them even asked for access until a couple popped up late this afternoon.

I think I took 5 vacation days this year, and ended up working on most of them, and most of the leadership team is in the same boat, they just all noped out for the holidays, it was magnificent to watch.  Unfortunately I was supposed to use this week to make some side money, so this intrusion and COVID has probably cost me $3-5,000.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So our leadership decided a few months ago that the week between Christmas and New Years the company would be closed.  Our B2C sales engine runs on its own and customer service is non-US and 24/7, so closing is of no real impact, and most vendors and B2B biz dev operations are suspended for the holidays or slow on the other end anyway, so it's an easy and cheap showing of goodwill to the vast majority of company employees.  I work with some of the MOST intelligent, diligent, responsible, hard-working people I've ever met.  Real top of their game, pull out all the stops, FAANG quality types who will be online and available 5am-2am if necessary.

I immediately get COVID the day before Christmas Eve.  CEO decides that 2-3 "high priority" things MUST be worked on over this week, and specifically one smaller thing on Christmas Day, so I push through, half COVID-crazy, and exhausted, setting up docs for input from the rest of the team...and the rest of the team just...never...shows...up...

People who are "always on" are NOT answering emails...management is pushing "hey, this needs done today" - then transitions to "hey this needs done tomorrow" - then "hey, how much time do you need?" - and just crickets...it was the funniest thing to watch unfold..."hey, guys, anyone out there...heeellloooo?"  Finally today I realize I didn't even grant document access to most of the team (but I sent the link) and none of them even asked for access until a couple popped up late this afternoon.

I think I took 5 vacation days this year, and ended up working on most of them, and most of the leadership team is in the same boat, they just all noped out for the holidays, it was magnificent to watch.  Unfortunately I was supposed to use this week to make some side money, so this intrusion and COVID has probably cost me $3-5,000.
View Quote

sounds like a personal problem. ill deal with it when I get back from vacation
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Only once work had me work during some scheduled vacation days. It was a job that was supposed to be a week, but ended up going for 3 1/2 weeks.

My time off was only four days. I got back home the week of Christmas and took two weeks off. They actually called and asked if I was ever going to come back to work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 months???  Get... the... fuck... out...
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm getting messages right now lolz
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What do you do for side money?
View Quote
More importantly, why? Apparently current job works him to death and he still has to do side jobs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm getting messages right now lolz
View Quote
I mean, me too, but it is the guys I like busting each others balls on a private channel and not talking the first thing about shop, where none of us have shown our faces in a week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Dealing with a company in South Africa.  They are taking a month summer vacation.  I contacted them a few days before their vacation, but looks like it will be at least the full month before they respond.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top