Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with getting any one to agree on that.  If there are 100 people tasked with finding the appropriate price level they will probably offer 110 answers.
I do agree with you some what about deflation.  Moderate deflation is not harmful, high deflation is, but is usually a result of, instead of the cause of recessions.
After inflation  has occurred, get the inflation under control, get it down.  Get it close to zero.  If it is below zero, but close, that is good enough.  Move forward from that point.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck with getting any one to agree on that.  If there are 100 people tasked with finding the appropriate price level they will probably offer 110 answers.
I do agree with you some what about deflation.  Moderate deflation is not harmful, high deflation is, but is usually a result of, instead of the cause of recessions.
After inflation  has occurred, get the inflation under control, get it down.  Get it close to zero.  If it is below zero, but close, that is good enough.  Move forward from that point.
View Quote

I think it was Milton Friedman that said if you put a dozen economists in a room, you'd end up with 15 different opinions. He was also the one that was adamant that "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output."
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think it was Milton Friedman that said if you put a dozen economists in a room, you'd end up with 15 different opinions. He was also the one that was adamant that "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output."
View Quote

Harry Truman said he wanted a one-armed economist.  All the economists advising him were always saying, "On the other hand".  I can sympathize with both.  It is natural to want simple direct answers, but it is also important to consider all possibilities.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ministry of Plenty continues to project higher than expected outcomes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
PPI comes in smoking hot.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
you know they're gonna just say we beat inflation with it at 3% and cut rates anyway.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PPI comes in smoking hot.

View Quote

10 year yield hating that news.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you know they're gonna just say we beat inflation with it at 3% and cut rates anyway.
View Quote

I do not think they will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would put inflation at 5%.

We are either looking at current rates for a long time, or rate increases if they really want to hit 2%.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top