Site Notices
Page / 109
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this stay sticks around for awhile wouldn't it be impossible to prove that your pre 4/19 dated mags were purchased from 3/29/19 - 4/5/2019?

Some were gifts so no receipts. The law didn't state anywhere that a purchaser was required to keep a receipt of proof of purchase.

A Kali resident could have purchased used mags with any pre 4/19 date code it seems. So all those that were "discovered" pre 4/19 would theoretically be legal. Just a thought.
View Quote
Correct. That was kind of the shpeel the last go around with pre bans. It was also impossible for them to know when you actually acquired the mags (this is before rebuild kits became a popular thing)

Dated pre 2000, all of us received them pre 2000. Then rebuild kits made the date code irrelevant. Now ALL of that is irrelevant.

As Don eluded to, even worst case scenario, it is legal for everyone to have any mag pre dated 4/5/19 now (beyond proof of acquiring post 4/5/19- a very hard thing to prove). Its a win even if we lose.

Long run speaking, I don't think were going to lose.

Let freedom ring, motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree - the Order says "bought".  I'd be comfortable if my transaction was completed on an in stock item because my receipt would have a purchase date on it.
View Quote
David05111 is Mr contradictory in this thread. I wouldn't absolutely rely on anything he wrote.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If this stay sticks around for awhile wouldn't it be impossible to prove that your pre 4/19 dated mags were purchased from 3/29/19 - 4/5/2019?

Some were gifts so no receipts. The law didn't state anywhere that a purchaser was required to keep a receipt of proof of purchase.

A Kali resident could have purchased used mags with any pre 4/19 date code it seems. So all those that were "discovered" pre 4/19 would theoretically be legal. Just a thought.
View Quote
No my friend, it would be impossible for the State of Kalifornia to prove those magazines were not purchased between 3/29-4/5.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

David05111 is Mr contradictory in this thread. I wouldn't absolutely rely on anything he wrote.
View Quote
To be fair, he was right.  I corrected myself, but I admit I was wrong

I have been a bit fallible the past few pages, despite my best intentions.  I'll let others figure it out since I really have no place speaking about a CA mag ban taking place on the other side of the Country.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes I think I need to correct myself here, as others have pointed out.  If you buy them before 5PM PST tomorrow (8PM EST), you should be good to go for the moment.

The confusing part of this is that the order basically enforces provisions (a) and (b) of the statute, but doesn't enforce (c) and (d).

(a) reads

I didn't see the actual order text until I read a bit further back in the thread.  The order allows enforcement of only some parts of (a).  Those parts do not include "receipt".

Basically, as stated in the beginning, if you're in CA and get your order in before 5PM tomorrow, you're gtg.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Very simple people. You buy mags until 5:00pm PST your golden. Done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Californians I hope you don't cower should they get re-banned.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Typically a stay is asked for immediately after a ruling like this is handed down that overturns a statute, but in this case it wasn't.  More on that below.

The enforcement date of the law is the date which the legislature enacted it, not when a Court does something with it.  You have to think of the whole lawsuit process as one big cohesive event with multiple parts.  It comes down to the function of the different levels of the courts.

Typically, the District Court deals with the facts and applies relevant law to come to a conclusion on the case.

The Federal Court of Appeals has multiple ways of looking at a case, depending on what specifically the appealing party asks for.  For instance, most of the time an appeals court looks at errors in application of the law or case procedure.  So if something was misapplied and is obviously wrong or if some procedure wasn't followed correctly, that's one thing that the Court of Appeals can look at.  The other way it can look at a case is de novo which essentially means "as new".  In a de novo appeal, the Court of Appeals basically takes everything in the record and has a second look to come to its own conclusion.  De novo appeals are fairly common, and I'm sure that's what will be asked for in this case.

But what I'm getting at is that under de novo appeal, you can basically imagine that the first court never ruled.  The Appeals Court is going to make up its own mind as though its the first court to see it.  It doesn't go through a fact-finding mission again, but it looks at everything a second time.  When it looks at this case, it will look at it as though the District Court didn't rule in all liklihood.  Whatever its decision ultimately is, it will be as though its the decision the first Court made.  It will consider the enforcement date of the statute and that will likely be where it continues to see enforcement, should it uphold the statute and overturn Judge Benitez's decision.

If that doesn't go the way the State wants it to, it can ask for another review en banc I think, which basically means that instead of like a 3-judge panel looking at it and deciding what should be done, the entire Court of Appeals has a look at it.  The next step thereafter would be SCOTUS if it accepted the case, but it only accepts like 2% or less of cases appealed to it.

What makes this particular case interesting is that it seems that Plaintiffs and Judge Benitez caught the State of California with its pants down.  In almost every case I can remember, a defendant like the State of California which loses a case like this immediately requests and stay of the ruling pending appeal.  California was absolutely gobsmacked by this ruling and the attorneys representing the State weren't prepared to immediately ask for that stay.  Hell, in some cases, the Judge him or herself will stay their own ruling for 5-7 days to allow the losing side to appeal.  That didn't happen in this case, and people scrambled to buy up as many mags as they could before the stay was granted.

Now we see that Judge Benitez has stayed the ruling partly.  He's stopped the flow of mags into the State (or he thinks he has) and has allowed those who bought the mags that made it in to keep them.  But whenever that stay goes into effect, that's the mags they'll be contending with that are at issue.

I'm not sure if this sort of situation is unprecedented (it likely isn't, but I don't have the info in front of me), but its unusual.  My guess is that if the Court of Appeals overturns it, it'll be appealed again to an en banc review.  And then it'll be appealed again.  If ultimately the mag ban is upheld, I still believe a court is going to go back to the original enforcement date of the statute.

Just look at what happened with the bumpstock stuff.  For 5 years or whatever, bump stocks were legal in the eyes of the BATFE.  But when it reversed and declared them MGs, there was no grandfathering or amnesty by them or the Court.  In the minds of both of them, the relevant date of enforcement was May 1986.  Any machineguns manufactured after that date, under any circumstance, aren't permitted for civilian ownership.

The California mag ban had an enforcement date.  If the Court decides ultimately that the law is constitutional and always has been, it's not really at liberty to set a new date; the date has been set by the legislature passing it.  But as I say, these are unusual circumstances because the ruling wasn't stayed from the moment it was handed down and not only that, it will have been like a week or something before that stay ultimately goes into effect.  Someone mentioned it earlier; its a brilliant tactic by Judge Benitez if he's really thinking of "common use".
View Quote
I believe he specifically wrote parts of his ruling to give points of argument in a higher court.

Example the way he stated that a magazine is the same as a firearm and is protected. Also brought in "common use" and created an avenue for purchasing magazines.

I think he was prepping the battlefield. He really is playing 3D chess.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No my friend, it would be impossible for the State of Kalifornia to prove those magazines were not purchased between 3/29-4/5.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, in many cases, before 1/1/2000.  Buying gently used items on EE has certain advantages.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone got a line on some SP01 mags? Got a coworker who just had a kid and doesn’t really have the time to hunt some down, appreciate any help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Typically a stay is asked for immediately after a ruling like this is handed down that overturns a statute, but in this case it wasn't.  More on that below.

The enforcement date of the law is the date which the legislature enacted it, not when a Court does something with it.  You have to think of the whole lawsuit process as one big cohesive event with multiple parts.  It comes down to the function of the different levels of the courts.

Typically, the District Court deals with the facts and applies relevant law to come to a conclusion on the case.

The Federal Court of Appeals has multiple ways of looking at a case, depending on what specifically the appealing party asks for.  For instance, most of the time an appeals court looks at errors in application of the law or case procedure.  So if something was misapplied and is obviously wrong or if some procedure wasn't followed correctly, that's one thing that the Court of Appeals can look at.  The other way it can look at a case is de novo which essentially means "as new".  In a de novo appeal, the Court of Appeals basically takes everything in the record and has a second look to come to its own conclusion.  De novo appeals are fairly common, and I'm sure that's what will be asked for in this case.

But what I'm getting at is that under de novo appeal, you can basically imagine that the first court never ruled.  The Appeals Court is going to make up its own mind as though its the first court to see it.  It doesn't go through a fact-finding mission again, but it looks at everything a second time.  When it looks at this case, it will look at it as though the District Court didn't rule in all liklihood.  Whatever its decision ultimately is, it will be as though its the decision the first Court made.  It will consider the enforcement date of the statute and that will likely be where it continues to see enforcement, should it uphold the statute and overturn Judge Benitez's decision.

If that doesn't go the way the State wants it to, it can ask for another review en banc I think, which basically means that instead of like a 3-judge panel looking at it and deciding what should be done, the entire Court of Appeals has a look at it.  The next step thereafter would be SCOTUS if it accepted the case, but it only accepts like 2% or less of cases appealed to it.

What makes this particular case interesting is that it seems that Plaintiffs and Judge Benitez caught the State of California with its pants down.  In almost every case I can remember, a defendant like the State of California which loses a case like this immediately requests and stay of the ruling pending appeal.  California was absolutely gobsmacked by this ruling and the attorneys representing the State weren't prepared to immediately ask for that stay.  Hell, in some cases, the Judge him or herself will stay their own ruling for 5-7 days to allow the losing side to appeal.  That didn't happen in this case, and people scrambled to buy up as many mags as they could before the stay was granted.

Now we see that Judge Benitez has stayed the ruling partly.  He's stopped the flow of mags into the State (or he thinks he has) and has allowed those who bought the mags that made it in to keep them.  But whenever that stay goes into effect, that's the mags they'll be contending with that are at issue.

I'm not sure if this sort of situation is unprecedented (it likely isn't, but I don't have the info in front of me), but its unusual.  My guess is that if the Court of Appeals overturns it, it'll be appealed again to an en banc review.  And then it'll be appealed again.  If ultimately the mag ban is upheld, I still believe a court is going to go back to the original enforcement date of the statute.

Just look at what happened with the bumpstock stuff.  For 5 years or whatever, bump stocks were legal in the eyes of the BATFE.  But when it reversed and declared them MGs, there was no grandfathering or amnesty by them or the Court.  In the minds of both of them, the relevant date of enforcement was May 1986.  Any machineguns manufactured after that date, under any circumstance, aren't permitted for civilian ownership.

The California mag ban had an enforcement date.  If the Court decides ultimately that the law is constitutional and always has been, it's not really at liberty to set a new date; the date has been set by the legislature passing it.  But as I say, these are unusual circumstances because the ruling wasn't stayed from the moment it was handed down and not only that, it will have been like a week or something before that stay ultimately goes into effect.  Someone mentioned it earlier; its a brilliant tactic by Judge Benitez if he's really thinking of "common use".
View Quote
hard to argue that thousands and thousands of mags that at SCMs aren't " common use" as well as then hit at the enforcfement NIGHTMARE that things just became, oh that magpul is obviously post 94, but that metal unlabeled magazine...

The original ruling did a ver nice job of prepping arguments against mag bans and feature bans, potentially even FA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Know most people are up to speed, but just sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHOTsk_fe8
View Quote
That Duck Dynasty looking dude talked for 7 minutes about a 6 page stay. Does anybody read anymore?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I believe he specifically wrote parts of his ruling to give points of arguments in a higher court.

Example the way he stated that a magazine is the same as a firearm and is protected. Also brought in "common use". I think he was prepping the battlefield.
View Quote
Agreed.  I love his writings on 2a stuff.  He attempts to address and counter every opposing argument.  They're well-reasoned.

Trouble is, opposing Judges don't always agree on these things.  And this will be a de novo review, so they'll review everything themselves and make up their own minds.

Man, I'd love him on SCOTUS though
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I love his writings on 2a stuff.  He attempts to address and counter every opposing argument.  They're well-reasoned.

Trouble is, opposing Judges don't always agree on these things.  And this will be a de novo review, so they'll review everything themselves and make up their own minds.

View Quote
Yep, he would be wonderful on SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I emailed calguns admins and offered free mags, and included other opportunities to get mags. I'm not a member there but I've seen jack and shit on my offer.
View Quote
Thats unfortunate. Haven't logged in there in a while, but I can't imagine why you haven't been bombarded with PMs. I hate to think they're too afraid of the next 24 hours being considered a grey area legally. As far as I'm concerned, we're good to order or obtain mags by any means until 5pm PST tomorrow. I just walked my brother in law (he's new to the AR thing) through ordering 10 pmags via Primary Arms.

Also.. anyone here in CA need a 32 round P226 mag in what could be 9mm or 40mm? As far as I know the 9mm and 40mm are interchangeable for the P226. I don't own a Sig, but was given the mag as a rebuild when buying rebuild kits was still legal in CA... since the ruling, its been assembled and is now protected. Don't know the brand, but it appears to be functional. I can send it out tomorrow morning before work to the first person to PM me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops, I accidentally clicked back a few pages.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very simple people. You buy mags until 5:00pm PST your golden. Done.
View Quote
Until the 9th or SCOTUS decides to reverse the honorable district judge.
The freedom party is ending but the war goes on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

hard to argue that thousands and thousands of mags that at SCMs aren't " common use" as well as then hit at the enforcfement NIGHTMARE that things just became, oh that magpul is obviously post 94, but that metal unlabeled magazine...
View Quote
I agree.  Doesn't mean they wont try.

Look at every other court that has upheld AWBs in the US (for example, NY SAFE).  The damn Courts have just basically said AR15s aren't in common use, regardless of how many are out there at the moment.  The problem is that, as far as I'm aware, there's no agreed-upon standard for what constitutes "common use".  I thought Judge Benitez made some excellent arguments in this opinion and articulated the standard quite well, but other Courts in other districts have come to opposite conclusions.  In a world that made sense, that would set up a SCOTUS case.  But so far, no such luck
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Look at every other court that has upheld AWBs in the US (for example, NY SAFE).  The damn Courts have just basically said AR15s aren't in common use, regardless of how many are out there at the moment.  The problem is that, as far as I'm aware, there's no agreed-upon standard for what constitutes "common use".  I thought Judge Benitez made some excellent arguments in this opinion and articulated the standard quite well, but other Courts in other districts have come to opposite conclusions.  In a world that made sense, that would set up a SCOTUS case.  But so far, no such luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't want it to go to SCOTUS until RBG is taken off life support.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he was younger he would be a slam dunk for USSC.

I'm glad he appears to be on our side. Could you imagine what he could do if he wasn't. "shutter"
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're both right; saying "returned" is awfully stupid, but only because the return window will be well and truly shut from any retailer by the time this winds its way through the process further.

Let's say I'm right though.  Ultimately, the law is upheld and they don't grandfather those mags that have been bought in the past few days.  Owners will have the same three options they've always had.

1)  Destroy them

2)  Keep them, keep their mouth shut, never use them, and risk prosecution.

3)  Sell them out of state.

or

4)  If one of the retailers would take them back, "return" them.

I'm betting 1000-1 right now that the vast majority of those who ordered mags in this window wouldn't keep them.  They'd either destroy them, take/sell them out of state, or give them back if they could.  Why?  Because anyone who has wanted one and doesn't care about the consequences should already have them by now....
View Quote
They did. in lower quantities and in less variety, but they did. But magazines are not something that people "wanted one" of. They want bulk mags at PSA prices. That's what has been different the last week. Greater options, greater variety at lower prices. Thats obvious to nearly everyone in this thread, but you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, but they'll just keep swapping out her batteries.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's no lie.  Never know what Roberts would do at this point.  Trump's window, assuming he's not going to get a second term, is closing during which he can appoint someone without controversy though.  We held the dems off on Garland for like 8 months or something during the election year.  I'd say that Trump has about a year left before there would be a lot of political flak from him trying to appoint a replacement for her during an election season.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The stay goes into effect tomorrow at 5PM PST (8PM EST).  If the recipient has the mags by then, they're fine under the terms of the stay.  But if they haven't received the mags by then, they're in violation of it.
View Quote
LOL. You might want to look at the work "or" in the stay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn’t see anyone else list Classic Firearms, but they ARE selling to California!

https://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/

$8.99 Croatian AK Mags
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak-47-30-round-mag-new-steel-made-in-croatia/
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They did. in lower quantities and in less variety, but they did. But magazines are not something that people "wanted one" of. They want bulk mags at PSA prices. That's what has been different the last week. Greater options, greater variety at lower prices. Thats obvious to nearly everyone in this thread, but you.
View Quote
Don't be ridiculous.  Of course I realize that people want plentiful mags at reasonable prices.  I'm a part-time resident of NY; I know all about that desire.  And I've also seen NY pass SAFE and a Federal Court uphold it.  I've been down a similar road before.

You make some pretty wild assumptions about me, as though I have some distorted view about people not wanting free trade of all types of mags at reasonable prices.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.

But I am a pessimist/realist and knowing what the 9th Circuit is made of and that CA loves to screw gun owners, I don't see much of a positive result at the end of all this, barring an appeal to SCOTUS that's granted.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL. You might want to look at the work "or" in the stay.
View Quote
JFC, why would you quote something I already corrected myself on further down the page?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes

I also gave all my mags to my two kids who were born after 2000
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me ask a question: now that the window for standard capacity mags was opened again, can Californians dredge up their sealed mags that have been sitting on the bottom of lakes and ponds and each and every one of them is now legal? You know, the ones that were "lost" when they were banned?

If so, the total number of "newly legal" standard capacity mags in CA might be colossal.
Yes

I also gave all my mags to my two kids who were born after 2000
My 2 month old nephew has a D60 and a whole pile of other standard cap magazines.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes I think I need to correct myself here, as others have pointed out.  If you buy them before 5PM PST tomorrow (8PM EST), you should be good to go for the moment.

The confusing part of this is that the order basically enforces provisions (a) and (b) of the statute, but doesn't enforce (c) and (d).

(a) reads

I didn't see the actual order text until I read a bit further back in the thread.  The order allows enforcement of only some parts of (a).  Those parts do not include "receipt".

Basically, as stated in the beginning, if you're in CA and get your order in before 5PM tomorrow, you're gtg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(a) reads

Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with
Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with
Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state
who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, buys, or receives any large-capacity magazine
is punishable
by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or
imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Any and all Arfcommers in my view have officially placed their orders through me before April5, 2019; 8pm Eastern. If I just ny chance didn't check my IM inbox. You guys are still considered the official owners. As such, when time allows. Your mags will be mailed out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you ordered out of stock and paid for it, that sounds like everyone would be good to go.
View Quote
I'm not trying to split hairs, and personal risk tolerance applies here.  I would not be comfortable doing that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#33]
At what number do you guys think would be considered “common use”?

I wonder if the legal team would work with the big distributors during this window to get an estimate of mags sold and then push more for common use?

What is the next step? Appeal to 9th Circuit? Then if they shut it do it goes to US Surpreme Court? Just trying to wrap my brain around the entire process.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any and all Arfcommers in my view have officially placed their orders through me before April5, 2019; 8pm Eastern. If I just ny chance didn't check my IM inbox. You guys are still considered the official owners. As such, when time allows. Your mags will be mailed out.
View Quote
Good man, here
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That didn't happen in this case, and people scrambled to buy up as many mags as they could before the stay was granted.

View Quote
He opened up a giant economy sized can of Caetano v. Massachusetts on CA DOJ.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hey that's fine, I knew I could be incorrect on exactly what the terms of the law were.  Someone answer me this.  A week ago, what was the situation with mags over 10 rounds?  
View Quote
Lawful to possess. in fact they were never unlawful to buy. The legislature made it illegal to sell, give, offer for sale, import or manufacture. But buying and finding were technically legal. if you sold me a standard capacity mag in California you were breaking the law as the seller, but as the buyer i was not committing a crime.

Repairing magazines was allowed, to include replacing all of the parts. As long as the number of mags remained the same, you were pretty much unlimited in how creative your repair was. beat to hell USGI surplus mags got "repaired" into PMAGs with the blessing or DOJ for many years.

There was a 3-statute of limitations on importation. if a cop wanted to bust you for importing mags he either had to catch you in the act, or he had some really high hurdles. Location of violation to start with. Date and Time of violation as well. The LA county DA cannot prosecute you for the unlawful importation of magazines that occurred in Riverside county as you crossed in from Nevada, for example.

As such, there have been practically zero stand alone charges for magazine law violations.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's no lie.  Never know what Roberts would do at this point.  Trump's window, assuming he's not going to get a second term, is closing during which he can appoint someone without controversy though.  We held the dems off on Garland for like 8 months or something during the election year.  I'd say that Trump has about a year left before there would be a lot of political flak from him trying to appoint a replacement for her during an election season.
View Quote
If RBG croaks it's going to make the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats unfortunate. Haven't logged in there in a while, but I can't imagine why you haven't been bombarded with PMs. I hate to think they're too afraid of the next 24 hours being considered a grey area legally. As far as I'm concerned, we're good to order or obtain mags by any means until 5pm PST tomorrow. I just walked my brother in law (he's new to the AR thing) through ordering 10 pmags via Primary Arms.

Also.. anyone here in CA need a 32 round P226 mag in what could be 9mm or 40mm? As far as I know the 9mm and 40mm are interchangeable for the P226. I don't own a Sig, but was given the mag as a rebuild when buying rebuild kits was still legal in CA... since the ruling, its been assembled and is now protected. Don't know the brand, but it appears to be functional. I can send it out tomorrow morning before work to the first person to PM me.
View Quote
I'm willing to buy that 226 mag. In CA as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If RBG croaks it's going to make the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wonder if the legal team would work with the big distributors during this window to get an estimate of mags sold and then push more for common use?

What is the next step? Appeal to 9th Circuit? Then if they shut it do it goes to US Surpreme Court? Just trying to wrap my brain around the entire process.
View Quote
No one has a universally accepted standard for what constitutes "common use".  The one thing that can be said for certain is that it can only help to keep buying if you live in free states and encourage friends and family to do the same thing.

The next step is the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.  It will be reviewed de novo (as new).

The step after that would probably be an appeal to have the case heard en banc (by the entire 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, rather than a panel of Judges).

The last step would be an appeal to SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They are plenty useful and used often.
Only a few areas referred to them as a nuisance item and all they could do is confiscate, no charges.

I see standard capacity magazines all the time where I live. There is little to no enforcement because grandfathered mags are/were not illegal prior to the new law that was stayed anyhow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without getting too deep into details, you are incorrect.

The compliance rate with all previous AWBs was ~10%. Entire truckloads of magazine “repair kits” were mail ordered and or sold on forums and at gun shows. And least we not forget about the millions that were purchased pre 2000.

CA was already awash in standard cap magazines long before this started.
Hey that's fine, I knew I could be incorrect on exactly what the terms of the law were.  Someone answer me this.  A week ago, what was the situation with mags over 10 rounds?  No new imports, but those that had them before 2000 or something could keep them?  Just can't transfer them in-state or something?

The thing that always gets me about the compliance rate stuff is that its largely irrelevant.  Are the 90% of people who aren't in compliance regularly taking them to the range or out to shoot?  Or are they collecting dust in a hidden compartment beneath the stairs?  Ultimately with these laws, they're trying to prevent you from using the stuff.  If you have it and hide it, they're pretty happy about that.

So awash or not, if they're all underground and out of sight, they're not all that useful.
They are plenty useful and used often.
Only a few areas referred to them as a nuisance item and all they could do is confiscate, no charges.

I see standard capacity magazines all the time where I live. There is little to no enforcement because grandfathered mags are/were not illegal prior to the new law that was stayed anyhow.
Have your receipt and don't bring all your mags to the range at the same time.

Like lending money - only bring what you're willing to lose.

Remember, the "nuisance" statute still stands.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
My only worry is that would be shot down using bumpstocks as a standard.
Couple hundred thousand doesn't rise to the level of common use.

Shit, even in CA I know well over a dozen people who own ARs, AKs and other semi auto rifles. These are just friends, family, coworkers, industry cohorts, coworkers, people I have met on jobsites,  random people I have gotten to talking to etc, not fellow forum members, people I met at the range or gun related activities.
And I don't know that many people.

But they are still considered "not in common use"
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that the permanent injunction enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code §32310 (a) and (b)shall remain in effect for those persons and business entities who have manufactured, imported, sold, or bought magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds between the entry of this Court’s injunction on March 29, 2019and 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 5, 2019.Dated:  April 4, 2019
View Quote
Yep. Some are even arguing that it says if you bought even one mag during that window you continue to be exempt until the appeal is over or the stay is lifted. Think about what that might mean.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How do you confirm magazine purchase date?
View Quote
The burden of proof is on the state.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How do you confirm magazine purchase date?
View Quote
How do they confirm you didn't purchase them during the allowed window?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lawful to possess. in fact they were never unlawful to buy. The legislature made it illegal to sell, give, offer for sale, import or manufacture. But buying and finding were technically legal. if you sold me a standard capacity mag in California you were breaking the law as the seller, but as the buyer i was not committing a crime.

Repairing magazines was allowed, to include replacing all of the parts. As long as the number of mags remained the same, you were pretty much unlimited in how creative your repair was. beat to hell USGI surplus mags got "repaired" into PMAGs with the blessing or DOJ for many years.

There was a 3-statute of limitations on importation. if a cop wanted to bust you for importing mags he either had to catch you in the act, or he had some really high hurdles. Location of violation to start with. Date and Time of violation as well. The LA county DA cannot prosecute you for the unlawful importation of magazines that occurred in Riverside county as you crossed in from Nevada, for example.

As such, there have been practically zero stand alone charges for magazine law violations.
View Quote
Outstanding summary.  Thank you.

Now, just to be clear, the new law was signed into law in 2016 right?  And it's basically SAFE 2.0?  Get rid of them by turning them in, destroy them, or sell them out of state?  But it never came into effect because it was stayed in response to this lawsuit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Shit, even in CA I know well over a dozen people who own ARs, AKs and other semi auto rifles. These are just friends, family, coworkers, industry cohorts, coworkers, people I have met on jobsites,  random people I have gotten to talking to etc, not fellow forum members, people I met at the range or gun related activities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At what number do you guys think would be considered "common use"?

250k is considered common use with Tasers. The Bumpstock Ban being shot down is bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I emailed calguns admins and offered free mags, and included other opportunities to get mags. I'm not a member there but I've seen jack and shit on my offer.
View Quote
I'm not trying to be a dick - but most of them are just immature kids trying to cope in a complex world.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I know this is last minute but anyone have a bead on CZP07 mags? CZ sold out. other site I found is not shipping to CA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yep. Some are even arguing that it says if you bought even one mag during that window you continue to be exempt until the appeal is over or the stay is lifted. Think about what that might mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that the permanent injunction enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code §32310 (a) and (b)shall remain in effect for those persons and business entities who have manufactured, imported, sold, or bought magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds between the entry of this Court’s injunction on March 29, 2019and 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 5, 2019.Dated:  April 4, 2019
Hahaha.

Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't point out the wording there too much. Said judge is quite the wordsmith and since words have legal consequence, perhaps that was not by accident.
Page / 109
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top