Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Will it have “electrolytes”?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know if you have a septic and a well you're pretty much drinking and cooking and bathing with recycled gray water.
View Quote
Well if you ignore such things as filtration and aquifers...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm ok with this. Tertiary treatment of wastewater effluent combined with conventional sand filtration would result in high quality H2O.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"The solution to pollution is dilution."
View Quote
If you've ever surfed near a sewer outfall you'd doubt that...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've always been under the impression that the effluent from a waste water treatment plant is technically cleaner than most river water.

I assume the age and tech/type of treatment used by any given plant will affect this. Primary/secondary clarifies w/aeration basins and final treatment has to produce a cleaner product vs ponds with floating aeration motors that mix/propeller the shit out of the water...
View Quote
I know from experience and extensive testing. For the most part, wastewater effluent IS cleaner than the receiving stream. Even during times of extreme I&I.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They couldn't even maintain a dam.
View Quote
Maintain? Pffft they couldn't even use it right... Good luck getting them to read operating manuals if they can save a dollar.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Drink recycled water.  It’s good for the environment and okay for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Liberal tears. They're abundant here in California since the election, and cheaper than water. The salt is also good for exfoliating the skin.
View Quote
I am waterlogged. Is there a remedy?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everything with a municipal sewage treatment plant is fine and dandy until there is a big rain storm and the sewage plant operators have to bypass treatment and discharge untreated raw sewage directly into the receiving waters in order to prevent the treatment plant from flooding and knocking it out of commission.  Shit happens all the time.
View Quote
And in those instances, the composition of the influent is >80% rainwater and runoff. I submit that even a bypass is probably cleaner than the stream, simply due to nonpoint pollution.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ultimately, I think we should privatize water just like electrical service.
View Quote
Trust me, having worked in privatised water you don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberal tears. They're abundant here in California since the election, and cheaper than water. The salt is also good for exfoliating the skin.
Travel out of the state can be helpful, or so I hear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
They should exchange that water with the saline left over from a desalination
plant and put it back to sea. The desalinated water could be added to the reservoir.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you don't live here?

ETA: I may be misreading you. OOS is a long way to go for a shower. Whose side are you on? I am not sure what side there is to to take, either..
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The effluent from a wastewater treatment plant is already cleaner than what many cities pull from a river into their drinking water plants.  This is a non-issue for anyone who understands the water cycle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So you don't live here?

ETA: I may be misreading you. OOS is a long way to go for a shower. Whose side are you on? I am not sure what side there is to to take, either..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't live here?

Yes, I live in CA. You said you were waterlogged from all the liberal tears. I said leaving the state could be helpful; by that I meant getting away from the state, and all the liberal tears, could help you dry out a little. That clarify things?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Horrifically expensive relative to gov subsidized water.

Horrifically expensive only if you don't consider the real costs of the "free" water.

Shit, in Texas, the lack of freshwater inflows into our bays has a huge "cost" in lost production of things like oysters and fin fish.  Some of our rivers are so tapped, they no longer even reach the Gulf.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They will fuck up and dump E. coli into the reservoirs.
View Quote
E. coli is already there:  It's found in birds and wild animals, too.  Where do they shit?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A well run conventional surface water treatment plant is capable of treating some pretty nasty water with E.coli counts in the thousands of colonies per 100 ml level.  Also powdered activated carbon and the coagulation , flocculation and settling processes remove pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors along with many other chemical contaminants.

I doubt dumping treated wastewater effluent into the water will make it anymore challenging to treat than it already is with the existing sources of pollution already in the water.
View Quote
The technology already exists to take raw sewage and industrial wastewater in one end of a treatment plant and put out clean drinking water at the other.  It's all about how much money you want to spend in the process.

People like clean, virgin sources of water because they're a lot cheaper to treat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, I live in CA. You said you were waterlogged from all the liberal tears. I said leaving the state could be helpful; by that I meant getting away from the state, and all the liberal tears, could help you dry out a little. That clarify things?
View Quote
Yes, thanks.

That is easier said than done, which is why we get ripped soo badly. ETA: It is four + hours from here to Nevada for me.

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Once upon a time, the company I worked for made parts for them.
We cracked up just a bit when we figured what they made.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever consulted on a sewage plant for a prison? You have to put a macerator or commutator like a Muffin Monster up front and use grinder pumps because of all the stuff they like the flush down the toilets.

They also like their water towers extra high for increased water pressure to their firehoses for riot control.
Once upon a time, the company I worked for made parts for them.
We cracked up just a bit when we figured what they made.

A.W.D.
I laughed the first time I encountered a Muffin Monster. Love their hats.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Its because its California.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
some...interesting...responses in this thread.

all water is recycled.
Its because its California.
yeah, that's a big part of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ultimately, I think we should privatize water just like electrical service.
i'm guessing that that poster wasn't aware of the massive water privatization effort of the 90s-early 00s, which resulted in higher costs, greater waste, and increased inefficiency across the board.

most sectors benefit from privatization, but water resources is not one of them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People like clean, virgin sources of water because they're a lot cheaper to treat.
View Quote
unfortunately, there are no clean, virgin sources of water.  the sky and a few limestone formations are about as close as you can get.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

i'm guessing that that poster wasn't aware of the massive water privatization effort of the 90s-early 00s, which resulted in higher costs, greater waste, and increased inefficiency across the board.

most sectors benefit from privatization, but water resources is not one of them.
View Quote
But profits are profits... It doesn't matter how they're achieved...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But profits are profits... It doesn't matter how they're achieved...
View Quote
i think a lot of people just mentally default to "privatizing will fix everything" in the same way that liberals believe that more government will fix everything.

IMO, public/private partnerships are the way to go on water.  you get both kinds of accountability--market and electorate--so they wind up policing each other.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Imagine an entire state drinking an ever increasing concentrated source of prescription, illegal and over the counter drugs.

You don't have to imagine it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Imagine an entire state drinking an ever increasing concentrated source of prescription, illegal and over the counter drugs.

You don't have to imagine it anymore.
View Quote
every city has to deal with this.  pharma is extremely difficult and expensive to get out of water, so anyone who eats or drinks in the city is getting a steady dose of antibiotics and endocrine disruptors already.

however, the dosage from the water is vanishingly small compared to the doses everyone in the country (urban or rural) gets from meat, poultry, and dairy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We have the largest desal plant in the country about 7 miles from where I’m sitting.

It produces 50,000,000 gallons of fresh water per day.  About 10% of the area’s water needs.

We need more, but the environmentalists and don’t spoil our ocean view people rabidly fight them every step of the way.
View Quote
Except CA uses 6,300,000,000 gal per day for domestic water, which is still only a bit under 17% of the total fresh water use in the state.   You'd  need to build over 100 desal plants just to satisfy 17% of your water use.   I think i figured out once that you'd need to build a nuke power plant for every 10 or desal plants.  They are very power hungry and require 10-13 kwh per 1000 gallons water produced.

Ca water use data.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The morons in california dump hundreds of millions of gallons of treated waste water into the ocean every day. They could conserve more water like the rest of the states by putting it inland instead of into the ocean. That alone would help some the states water issues
View Quote
A lot of irrigation on the freeways and median strips throughout cities are using treated water. If you've ever seen purple pvc pipe, thats what its for.
Us morons have been doing it for decades.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#31]
First the veggie burger
2nd the sewer burger
3rd the sewer water drink.

Cali can eat shit and drink it too...well liberalism is a mental disorder.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

With some of the new standards out there, in areas like the Chesapeake watershed or especially any of our protect trout streams (the effluent even has to be a certain temperature when it comes out to protect the trout), you could literally drink the effluent coming out of the sewer plants.
View Quote
Yeah but a lot of those states are places where shit actually, you know, still works.

This is CA we're talking about here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm all for bashing Cali liberals as much as the next guy, but treated sewage is VERY clean water.  Almost always cleaner than the water systems it is discharged back into.  We're better than fear-mongering, guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm all for bashing Cali liberals as much as the next guy, but treated sewage is VERY clean water.  Almost always cleaner than the water systems it is discharged back into.  We're better than fear-mongering, guys.
View Quote
This guy gets it. And.....It's a "non-story". It's been done for many years. A few of us went into it quite in depth here. People who actually know the industry, but according to Arfcom, know nothing.

Another fine example of how the MSM controls the narrative.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I was in the Boy Scouts we went to one of the water treatment plants. I was quite impressed. And the water is drinkable and doesn't taste any different than tap water. You should see how it looks coming in, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
California to add recycled sewer water to the state reservoirs

California’s water regulation agency approved new measures Tuesday that will allow recycled water – water that once ran through the sewers – to be added to the state’s reservoirs, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The new rules are expected to be implemented by 2023.

"This is a type of indirect potable use — it's not treated recycle water that goes directly to someone's house," said Miryam Barajas at the Water Board. "It's highly treated."

She says the new regulations could potentially affect all 36 of California’s reservoirs that serve as the main source of the state’s municipal drinking water.
The term "It's highly treated." coming from their water board should be a red flag for Californians that you are about eat shit, well drink it anyway.
When I was in the Boy Scouts we went to one of the water treatment plants. I was quite impressed. And the water is drinkable and doesn't taste any different than tap water. You should see how it looks coming in, though.
Chunks of corn, rubbers & other various 'solids' that get past the strainers at the head works...
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is what you get with complete and total Democrat rule and management. Suck it, Cali.
View Quote
That's right, it puts you like 6 years behind a red state.

https://www.texastribune.org/2012/06/11/texas-gets-creative-recycled-water/

Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
So that explains why Texans are full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well bless your heart. We implemented a solution for inadequate water supply in an arid portion of this great state, years ago, y'all have been buying water from other states and dumping your effluent into the ocean.  Now you're looking to Texas as a guide to ONE of your problems.  Gotcha.

Let's let bygones be bygones my friend.  It's almost like we are kin with all the Cali plates I see here from people leaving that shit hole for a better life (hopefully they can loose their shitty attitudes fairly quickly).  Tell you what, I'll do you a solid.  If you go to PSA right now, they have some great prices on cases of ammo, I like most of the  country get it shipped right to our door. Sorry about your new laws. Say, are y'all still buying  10+ round mags with the anticipation that you won't have to toss them, or kneeling before your masters?  Anyways, enjoy your shit water and hope it doesn't cause cancer like everything else there.

Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I believe all future water plants should be built beside or as close to as possible to the sewer plants.  The sewer plants effluent line should be pipped straight to the water plant for use.  We have the technology (have actually had it for years) to do this safety.  Especially drout prone areas ... this would be a great help.  It is such a waste on both ends, it would cut down on the water we pull from the earth.

I believe another good idea would be for the states along the coasts to use sea water for drinking water.  I mean fuck all the global warming folks say the oceans are rising so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
View Quote
I believe we should build a lot more reservoirs.  CA has at least two large reservoir projects ready to go, but of course held up for supposed environmental reasons.  I'm sure all the western US states have sites, if not plans already available.  Here in WA two such projects would be to raise Bumping Lake reservoir and to create one at Lmuma Creek which is a mostly dry creek you cross on I-82.  Banks lake could be raised also and there was always supposed to be another Banks-sized reservoir, forget the location exactly.  These locations are not in environmentally significant areas.

Reusing sewage should be for industrial water and irrigation of crops not eaten raw.  The US just keeps handicapping ourselves for stupid reasons.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top