Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be campy. I enjoy the movie though.

To be honest with you I think most war movies suck. 99 percent of them get the guns and gear way off, and that automatically kills it for me personally. Amond a lot of other cheesey ass shit that's generally in most of them.

I enjoy SPR though I think it was pretty damn well done. Its one of my favorites personally
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also, Matt Damon with his Good Will Hunting character and perfectly straightened, Crest whitened teeth was awful in the role.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The campiest moment is when Matt Damon was acting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For REAL comedy, watch Schindler's List.
View Quote
"I forgive you"
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The Killing Fields really had me rolling.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck corporal Upham..

Fuck his character, Fuck the person who played him..

Now I’m pissed off.. every time I hear of this movie I watch that scene in my head and get totally pissed off.

Thank you OP for pissing me off.
View Quote
My bad.  It was almost unbearable to watch him cower in the stairwell while Adam Goldberg's character was fighting for his life upstairs.  Then he just lets the German guy walk by.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that scene was kind of weird and out of character.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
There is an interview with John Milius from around 2001  on the web,

he talks about SPR and how dumb a lot of the story is .  I recall some of it .  like  " why didn't they just blow the bridge and leave?  a few dozen guys going to hold a bridge against a bunch of tigers? and they blow it anyway"

He mention some guy he knew who was in vietnam telling him if he had been one of them he would have just shot tom hanks character   blew the bridge and left lol

He also  mentioned some of the cheap cheesey cliches the film pulled to get the audience to be invested in the story but  make very little sense after you think about it

the charge on the radar dish  was pretty fucking retarded for instance
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh yes.
Funniest movie this side of Stalag something or other.

RU Serious Clark?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yes.
Funniest movie this side of Stalag something or other.

RU Serious Clark?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
A while back I found a clip of the Ghetto clearing scenes from Schindler's List that were sped up and put to Yakkety Sax.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How about during the D-Day landing when the guy with the leg blown off thought one of the guys was going to help him but he just grabbed the ammo belt from around his neck and took off?

That was campy as hell.
View Quote
wha...

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Technically it was campy.  I'll see myself out.
View Quote
tewwible
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The most retarded thing in that movie is when the medic joined in, unarmed, when they attacked the machine gun nest at the radar site. I would have put him back where Upham was and put Upham at the rear of the squad.

What good is a medic if he gets killed?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I watched it again last night for the first time since the first time in the theater.
View Quote
How the hell have you gone 20 years without watching Saving Private Ryan?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

wha...

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
View Quote
Ok.  How would you describe it?  Absolutely Hilarious?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The most retarded thing in that movie is when the medic joined in, unarmed, when they attacked the machine gun nest at the radar site. I would have put him back where Upham was and put Upham at the rear of the squad.

View Quote
The point of the scene was to show how selfless the medics could be. He wanted to be close enough to his buddies that he could treat them as quickly as possible.
Yeah they should have split the force and let the sniper initiate contact and then killed the gun crew off. But they needed wade to die to create conflict. It's a movie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also, Matt Damon with his Good Will Hunting character and perfectly straightened, Crest whitened teeth was awful in the role.
View Quote
They had no choice but to cast Matt Damon. He matched up visually with the old guy at the end of the film.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How about during the D-Day landing when the guy with the leg blown off thought one of the guys was going to help him but he just grabbed the ammo belt from around his neck and took off?

That was campy as hell.
View Quote
Yes.

They didn't have the medical training that our soldiers have today and they certainly didn't have the technology. They were also getting shot the fuck up...the best thing the guy could do is keep moving forward to take out the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The point of the scene was to show how selfless the medics could be. He wanted to be close enough to his buddies that he could treat them as quickly as possible.
Yeah they should have split the force and let the sniper initiate contact and then killed the gun crew off. But they needed wade to die to create conflict. It's a movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it was relief since his character was annoying.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I spent the better part of 20 years reading books on D day. I can tell you that probably 100% of the "campy" scenes came from a direct recounting from someone that was there and saw it. While watching the beach scene I remember thinking "I remember reading about that".

So although you think those things were campy, they were also things that actually happened to real people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I spent the better part of 20 years reading books on D day. I can tell you that probably 100% of the "campy" scenes came from a direct recounting from someone that was there and saw it. While watching the beach scene I remember thinking "I remember reading about that".

So although you think those things were campy, they were also things that actually happened to real people.
View Quote
I didn’t call the things or events campy. I am saying the movie depicted these events with campiness.

I think we are in such awe over the subject matter, and rightly so, that it clouds the way we judge the film.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok.  How would you describe it?  Absolutely Hilarious?
View Quote
The 1960s Batman TV show with Adam West set the standard for campiness.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the whole movie is hollywood nonsense
View Quote
More believable than Lone Survivor or American Sniper.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Really? I must have missed those parts of it because I was making out with my date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really? I must have missed those parts of it because I was making out with my date.
LOL, you should have finger banged her. Rookies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Bubba, gotta find Bubba.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought 1941 was a comedy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#29]
How about "hey guys let's make frontal assault that mg42 nest."
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How about "hey guys let's make frontal assault that mg42 nest."
View Quote
That was a real doozie, wasn't it?  But hell, they only lost one of their guys going for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Alexandre....dumb ass.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
OP is going to lose his camping gear when he finds out Ramelle doesn't even exist.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP is going to lose his camping gear when he finds out Ramelle doesn't even exist.
View Quote
Nor was it shot in France...

Campy!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just about every WW2 movie I watch, eventually I notice the actors' perfect teeth.  In the 1940s, I'd bet most guys had never been to a dentist before they enlisted.  
View Quote
But sugar was scarce and no HFCS!

Dentists?
My Dad said it was the first time many of them cocoulever eat all they wanted. Even if the food sucked!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread makes me think that OP heard the word "campy" and was desperate to use it even though he's not quite sure what it means.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I thought most of it was perfectly cromulent.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the whole movie is hollywood nonsense
View Quote
Weird.  Lots of veterans that were on the beaches that day thought it was realistic.  Which beach did you land on?

http://oralhistoryaudiobooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/five-d-day-veterans-talkin-saving.html?m=1

https://www.uni-due.de/~lan500/movies/ryan/content/veterans.htm
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Or that campy scene where Upham commits a war crime and shoots the surrendering German.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Or that campy scene where Upham commits a war crime and shoots the surrendering German.
View Quote
Steamboat Willy violated his parole.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Not sure what this has to do with camping.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Campy is not what I would use. The historical inaccuracies do ruin the experience.

I do scale models so when I see something like late steel rimmed tiger wheels before 1944 I notice that. When you have the abomination that was the tiger in spr, it ruins it for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Campy is not what I would use. The historical inaccuracies do ruin the experience.

I do scale models so when I see something like late steel rimmed tiger wheels before 1944 I notice that. When you have the abomination that was the tiger in spr, it ruins it for me.
View Quote
I've always found it interesting how people point out inaccuracies in films depending on their specialties. I'm usually noticing gun or aviation blunders, but you could probably put an M48 tank in a WWII movie and I wouldn't even notice
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
How many Jews does it take to make a jacket?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jewish girl?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This! Sets the guy up to live up to a standard he could never possibly achieve. Poor old guy has to get validation from his wife at the end; doesn't even know decades after the war if he's been a good enough boy to "earn" being spared.

As a Christian it flies in the face of my personal outlook on life. It's totally stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The whole "Earn this" thing ruined it for me. It instantly turned a great movie into a Hollywood cheeseball.
This! Sets the guy up to live up to a standard he could never possibly achieve. Poor old guy has to get validation from his wife at the end; doesn't even know decades after the war if he's been a good enough boy to "earn" being spared.

As a Christian it flies in the face of my personal outlook on life. It's totally stupid.
As a Christian, you should know all about trying to live up to a standard that you can never achieve, and for "earning" what you have been given. Luke 12:48
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Really? And you know this how? Ever hear of shock? People can do some pretty odd shit when having a traumatic event like that happen to them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was campy as hell.
Really? And you know this how? Ever hear of shock? People can do some pretty odd shit when having a traumatic event like that happen to them?
Ever hear of sarcasm?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't doubt that but the way the scene was depicted seemed very campy to me.  Like it was done as a subtle inside joke for those involved in the movie.
View Quote
I didn't see that at all.  Sorry.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top