User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely! This is America! You can do anything you want!!
View Quote

*Morgan Freeman, narrating* “…And that’s when they found out that no, no you cannot do anything you want in America…”
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You guys are something else.

ITS A BRUSH PILE.

On our farms we do controlled burns where we burn dozens of acres at a time. According to you guys it’s a miracle I didn’t burn the whole planet
View Quote

When I cleared my shooting range the fire burned for 31 days continuously, and it rained out on that day or it would have gone longer.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s a huge “brush pile”

Does it have whole trees in it that have not been cut up?

How long has it been there, has it all had time to dry out. Oh, I just reread your post. It sounds like it was stuff that was just cut. That’s not going to burn very good at all.

In any case it’s going to be difficult to get it all burning and then burned up in any reasonable amount of time. Probably need a dozer or some other equipment to keep pushing it up as it burns.

I have burned a large number of brush piles over the years but none bigger than about 20’ in diameter.

I use diesel fuel in a pump up sprayer to get the fires started. Set the sprayer to spray a single stream. Put some paper in the pile near the bottom and spray a little diesel on it. Start that burning with a propane torch and then start spraying with the diesel. It will get a very hot fire going very quickly. Repeat that process in as many different spots as you can all around the brush pile.

I think it goes without saying that if you don’t have any experience in a project like that you need to be very careful. Get an experienced person to come out and look at it and give you some advice.

If the original post is just some BS trolling then disregard my post.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I usually find that a little  vitamin "G"
Lights bonfires nicely.
And by a little I mean 40 gallons
And lights  nicely I mean violent explosion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnVHYjjf3LM
View Quote

.... hold my Lone Star and watch this....
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are braver than I am.  I would never, ever use gasoline to start a fire, unless it’s been jelled with Napalm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I (very carefully) use gas to start the fire and keep it going with used engine and cooking oil.

ETA: That's a retardedly huge fire, don't do it

You are braver than I am.  I would never, ever use gasoline to start a fire, unless it’s been jelled with Napalm.

I never pour and light, and neither should anyone else, ever. I light a piece paper, then I have a pole with a metal can on the end of it that I can pour gas from a distance onto the burning paper, it's basically idiot proof.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a quality thread
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Call the local volunteer fire dep't and offer it up for a training exercise.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have a massive brush pile out on some land I just had cleared. Maybe 150' long, 75' wide, 10 to 15' tall of cut down trees.

It's rained a ton here and I want to light it off the next time it's raining so I don't light anything else on fire at the same time. I was thinking about using an accelerant to get it going easier. Maybe one of those easy lighting fire starting logs. I don't want any petroleum products.

Then I got to thinking, I have a couple gallons of old veggie and canola oil sitting around. Could I soak a bunch of paper or something with it and use it to get a good fire going?
View Quote

Let us know when you do it so we can monitor the news for the aftermath.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is a quality thread
View Quote

Another BH fairy tale.

He’s really trying to steal your thunder
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
It will be visible from space at that size. Probably a good idea to have a bucket of water on hand, just in case for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Split into multiple smaller piles
View Quote

Yeah no way I would light the whole thing at once.

When I light my piles they are probably 10 x 20 x 8 h. I light them on the downwind side and let it burn into the pile slowly. I also try and do it after some good rains.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never pour and light, and neither should anyone else, ever. I light a piece paper, then I have a pole with a metal can on the end of it that I can pour gas from a distance onto the burning paper, it's basically idiot proof.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I (very carefully) use gas to start the fire and keep it going with used engine and cooking oil.

Why use gasoline though? Just pour diesel where you want it started and old motor oil (because Oreillys vat is ALWAYS full) all over it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I cleared my shooting range the fire burned for 31 days continuously, and it rained out on that day or it would have gone longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITS A BRUSH PILE.

On our farms we do controlled burns where we burn dozens of acres at a time. According to you guys it’s a miracle I didn’t burn the whole planet

How big is your range, a couple thousand acres? I just burn 10 acres in a day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread will be a classic when its entered into evidence towards the op 'knowing' he was going to burn down Texas when he lit the pile
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I remember lighting a bonfire in high school, buddies dumped like 5 gallons of gas on there and made like a 5 ft trail. There was a fireball of vapor that lit off spreading a good 30ft out from the fire.

Nothing worse than some singed leg hair but buddy dang near jumped in to a tree
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are living trees around the pile as close as 75 feet. I'm hoping they don't torch.

I'm also slightly concerned about the bird houses we have put up. The closest are maybe 30-50 feet away. I don't want tweety to broil inside the bird house.
View Quote

Broiled Tweety? Sounds really good!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ITS A BRUSH PILE.

LOL, my shooting range was a thicket, not corn field

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you use a tractor to turn it into a 60x60x45 foot brush pile?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#19]
60% diesel or veg oil probably

40% gasoline

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Run your controlled burn plan past the nearest fire department- they love a good fire perhaps for training purposes.
View Quote

Don't forget to film it horizontally!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Run your controlled burn plan past the nearest fire department- they love a good fire perhaps for training purposes.
View Quote

This, fire departments love this sort of stuff.  They can do the burn then put it out and then start all over until it’s all gone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Kitchen grease fires use grease/oil for the fuel.  Cooking oil makes a good fuel that won't vaporize at normal temps.  The oil will stay where you pour it unlike gas which can easily flow downhill/downwind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  clear land and burn a lot of piles. For me, old diesel and waste oil work well, and I light it with charcoal lighter fluid so no kabooms.

If the large trees have not dried very long, many of them may still be there when you are done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
a 50/50 mix of used motor oil and red diesel is the best firestarter out there (allegedly in minecraft of course).

a road flare will do nicely to ignite said mixture.

allegedly in minecraft of course.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't be lame, do it right.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A decade or so ago the Boy Scouts did not allow accelerants for starting fires (too many bad experiences with foolish boys inviting themselves out others.)

A bag of Fritos made an excellent firestarter when you couldn't use accelerants.  Fritos are greasy as hell and burn great.
View Quote
Many, many years ago when I was in scouts we carried white gas (ostensibly for the lanterns) and lifeboat matches to start fires when they didn't want to start.   Never had a fire that wouldn't start w/ a cup of white gas and a lifeboat match.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe 150' long, 75' wide, 10 to 15' tall of cut down trees.

Maybe one of those easy lighting fire starting logs. I don't want any petroleum products.

View Quote

I wonder if you might be a bit out of your element here. That is not a burn for the faint of heart, and if you don't know how to start it, I would be concerned about knowing how to contain it.

It's kind of like pulling a trailer, where guys are all worried about their trucks ability to pull a load, not realizing the real issue is the ability to stop the load.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
150x75x15' brush pile?

That's going be a forest fire my man.
View Quote

That's the kind of brush pile you light with 500lbs of tanerite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm also slightly concerned about the bird houses we have put up. The closest are maybe 30-50 feet away. I don't want tweety to broil inside the bird house.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There are living trees around the pile as close as 75 feet. I'm hoping they don't torch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
150x75x15' brush pile?

That's going be a forest fire my man.

A house or two ago our neighbor had a house fire.  The fire was smaller than you are planning.  My yard was dead almost 100ft away along with the side of all the trees that faced the house.  You'll be able to see that motherfucker from space.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ITS A BRUSH PILE.

View Quote

Yeah, we burn acres of grass and brush.  Not 15' x75 x150 of condensed fuel.  That will be a monster fire.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
And here I was, wondering why this thread suddenly had so many replies...

Please post video.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]
If it’s whole trees and they were green it won’t go up in a blaze. It will be a long slow process with many burns likely.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#35]
It will ignite if added to an existing fire but I doubt you can touch it off with a match like fuel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Split into multiple smaller piles
View Quote

This.

Though I agree that a call to the FD to see if they want to burn the whole pile wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeah, we burn acres of grass and brush.  Not 15' x75 x150 of condensed fuel.  That will be a monster fire.
View Quote

If it was stretched out a bit further and laid with mind to the wind, it would be pretty easy to just burn one end to the other rather than a single large conflagration.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It sounds like you probably shouldn't be playing with fire. You have a brush pile 75x150' thats pretty substantial and its gonna burn for days.

Possibly contact local volunteer fire department. See if they will come out and burn it or take a look.  At a minimum you should have a machine there to push the pile  and a water source.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like you probably shouldn't be playing with fire. You have a brush pile 75x150' thats pretty substantial and its gonna burn for days.

Possibly contact local volunteer fire department. See if they will come out and burn it or take a look.  At a minimum you should have a machine there to push the pile  and a water source.

If nothing else, asking if veg oil soaked shit will burn sounds to me like he's not experienced with brush fires.  Mine never got over a 40 ft diameter or so, and maybe 10 ft high?  Even those got toasty, and would have hot spots the next day depending on what was in it.

That said, I've probably used everything you aren't supposed to use to light them off.  Gasoline for sure.  Big woosh.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#39]
A brush pile that big is going to take a out 100 gallons of diesel, 5 gallons of gasoline, and a couple dozen truck tires.  Be sure to take video for a monetized YouTube video.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A brush pile that big is going to take a out 100 gallons of diesel, 5 gallons of gasoline, and a couple dozen truck tires.  Be sure to take video for a monetized YouTube video.
View Quote

Da fuk you know about fire?

*Looks at avatar... backs away slowly*
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It will ignite if added to an existing fire but I doubt you can touch it off with a match like fuel.
View Quote

Don't know what the flash point is, but I know what happens with something like a paper towel soaked in it that meets a lit match.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top