Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crudely speaking(1) An atom consists of a nucleus comprising protons and neutrons surrounded by a sea of electrons
(2) A proton has a positive charge, an electron has a negative charge and a neutron is neutral
(3) A stable atom is in effect balanced with respect to protons and electrons (positive and negative attracted to each other) and the spacing between the nucleus and its orbiting electrons is energy dependant e.g. an electron close to the nucleus will require a lot of energy to remove it (stronger force of attraction) relative to an electron a long way from the nucleus (weaker force of attraction).  
(4) By splitting the atom nucleus with a fast moving neutron you release some of the energy that held it together and form two new nuclei (two new elements)
(5) A large atom, with large numbers of protons and electrons (e.g. Plutonium has a nucleus containing 94 protons) if split by a neutron, will release more energy than a small atom.
(6) The energy released being proportional to the mass and the speed of light squared.
(7) On splitting the atom, neutrons will be released that move on to split other atoms
(8) In a nuclear reactor the fission process is moderated by the use of graphite, the graphite absorbs neutrons and thereby limits the fission process.  If sufficient graphite rods are inserted into a reactor they will absorb all neutrons and terminate the fission process.  Conversely, if the reactor core is not moderated, the rate of fission increases exponentially to the point where it can no longer be moderated and you get Chernobyl.
View Quote

You must know a lot about this subject with all the nuclear reactors there are in Australia.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A free neutron can be captured by an atom, making that atom heavier.

Atoms can become highly unstable at all but a few specific weights.

Large atoms are heavier than the sum of their parts! The extra mass is potential energy.

By increasing the weight of a heavy atom by exposing it to neutrons, it can cause it to absorb a neutron and go from stable to unstable.

When an unstable atom breaks apart, it will release it’s parts, as well as the additional weight above the sum of its parts as energy, according to E=MC^2 where M is the mass difference between the atom and it’s parts.

This can release more neutrons , which if sufficient to cause a growing chain reaction is called prompt critical. BOOM!

Or the parts of the parent molecule may itself be unstable, and when they decay seconds, minutes, or hours later, may release delayed neutrons, which can keep the nuclear reaction sustained on time scales that allow it to be controlled.
View Quote

But what about spontaneous fission?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fissile material, such as uranium 235.  Fissile, meaning, radioactive.  Radioactive meaning alpha decay, in the form of neutrons and protons.

If you put enough U235 in the same place, those decay neutrons will hit the neucleii of other nearby U235 atoms and fission, meaning cause them to split.  Which, creates heat (and other radioactive by products), but most importantly, more neutrons, that then hit other uranium atoms, in a chain.

There is some other stuff about fast vs slow neutrons, moderators, etc.

So you can have a controlled "slow burn" type reaction, such as in a nuclear reactor, or you can have a critical mass type reaction, such as in a fission bomb.  Comes down the purity, density and volume of the uranium.
View Quote

Where are the delayed neutrons?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:I mean i watch justin huhn on youtube. But mr higgs can probably break it down better than anyone on this site
View Quote

Mr. Boson-Higgs??
Hell yeah I’ll wait.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fissile material, such as uranium 235.  Fissile, meaning, radioactive.  Radioactive meaning alpha decay, in the form of neutrons and protons.

If you put enough U235 in the same place, those decay neutrons will hit the neucleii of other nearby U235 atoms and fission, meaning cause them to split.  Which, creates heat (and other radioactive by products), but most importantly, more neutrons, that then hit other uranium atoms, in a chain.

There is some other stuff about fast vs slow neutrons, moderators, etc.

So you can have a controlled "slow burn" type reaction, such as in a nuclear reactor, or you can have a critical mass type reaction, such as in a fission bomb.  Comes down the purity, density and volume of the uranium.

They will be here soon.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s not hard. Especially since it’s all theory anyway. Who can argue with you?So is landing on the moon
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
TELL ME HOW A NUCLEAR REACTOR WORKS OR ILL HAVE YOU THROWN FROM THIS HELICOPTER
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Nuclear fission is not theory. It happens and we use it every day in nuclear power plants all over the world and have even used it as a weapon of war twice. The first weapon used fissioned U235 and the second weapon fissioned Pu239.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Yes
Kharny
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mr. Boson-Higgs??
Hell yeah I'll wait.
View Quote
He, like you, have been conspicuously meaningfully absent in both threads. Don't make me call the ethics hotline

Thread legal:

Just got suggested this. No real interest in the whole nuke powered aircraft thing, but he leaves out something; these are in the parking lot of EBR-1, where he subsequently does a SELF GUIDED TOUR. There were no adults breathing down his neck, and he poked around all day.
Radioactive Nuclear Jet Engines in a Parking Lot

(I need to start a go fund me to go to all these places)

both nuc and reactor nerds, go put this on the biggest screen you can find. It is AMAZING
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agreed on both counts.
They still classify exactly what are in the 'converters' used at K25, and assuming currently at PGDP. (Is that place still running or hot standby??)

My grandmother worked at K25. When she was made aware of what she was working with, she suffered a mental breakdown that she never recovered from.

On a more cheery note, since no one wants to help me make my own personal reactor, would one of you like to explain the difference between an xray and a gamma?
View Quote

Sir

Gamma rays are high energy and coke from the nucleus.
X-rays are slightly lower energy and come from the electron shell.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I believe popcorn is actually a really really tiny nuclear explosion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Crudely speaking

(1) An atom consists of a nucleus comprising protons and neutrons surrounded by a sea of electrons
(2) A proton has a positive charge, an electron has a negative charge and a neutron is neutral
(3) A stable atom is in effect balanced with respect to protons and electrons (positive and negative attracted to each other) and the spacing between the nucleus and its orbiting electrons is energy dependant e.g. an electron close to the nucleus will require a lot of energy to remove it (stronger force of attraction) relative to an electron a long way from the nucleus (weaker force of attraction).  
(4) By splitting the atom nucleus with a fast moving neutron you release some of the energy that held it together and form two new nuclei (two new elements)
(5) A large atom, with large numbers of protons and electrons (e.g. Plutonium has a nucleus containing 94 protons) if split by a neutron, will release more energy than a small atom.
(6) The energy released being proportional to the mass and the speed of light squared.
(7) On splitting the atom, neutrons will be released that move on to split other atoms
(8) In a nuclear reactor the fission process is moderated by the use of graphite, the graphite absorbs neutrons and thereby limits the fission process.  If sufficient graphite rods are inserted into a reactor they will absorb all neutrons and terminate the fission process.  Conversely, if the reactor core is not moderated, the rate of fission increases exponentially to the point where it can no longer be moderated and you get Chernobyl.
View Quote

Very well done.

Side note, I think it real cool that many nukes can operate almost completely without any human intervention until the fuel runs out. Because like water moderators can make it do adjustments on its own.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Solar is safer.
View Quote

Solar fusion?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A free neutron can be captured by an atom, making that atom heavier.

Atoms can become highly unstable at all but a few specific weights.

Large atoms are heavier than the sum of their parts! The extra mass is potential energy.

By increasing the weight of a heavy atom by exposing it to neutrons, it can cause it to absorb a neutron and go from stable to unstable.

When an unstable atom breaks apart, it will release it’s parts, as well as the additional weight above the sum of its parts as energy, according to E=MC^2 where M is the mass difference between the atom and it’s parts.

This can release more neutrons , which if sufficient to cause a growing chain reaction is called prompt critical. BOOM!

Or the parts of the parent molecule may itself be unstable, and when they decay seconds, minutes, or hours later, may release delayed neutrons, which can keep the nuclear reaction sustained on time scales that allow it to be controlled.

What do you want to know about them? They are rare enough to be ignored for a simple explanation of nuclear physics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On a more cheery note, since no one wants to help me make my own personal reactor, would one of you like to explain the difference between an xray and a gamma?
View Quote

At a practical level, essentially nothing. By definition, a gamma is emitted by the nucleus, while an X-ray comes from the electrons, but both are photons - electromagnetic radiation, like visible light - just at higher energy levels. Most of the time gammas are higher frequency/energy level but not always.

There are almost no spontaneous sources of X-rays, they're a result of something going on that pumps up the energy level of an atoms electrons which is then released as an X-ray. Gammas are emitted spontaneously from unstable/radioactive nuclei, or from nuclear reactions. They're both ionizing electromagnetic radiation and a spectrometer to identify the source via energy signatures is the only real way to tell them apart.

Beta radiation is the same kind of situation... beta radiation is just free electrons. The only difference between "beta radiation" and "electron beam" is that beta by definition is emitted by a nucleus, whereas an electron beam just comes from an ionized source of free electrons. Electron beams are also known as "cathode rays", and if you've ever watched a traditional television or CRT computer monitor you've been looking at the effect of electron beams hitting phosphors on the inside of the glass.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:330 tons of nuclear-grade graphite.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/8167736696_6096b9d9a7_o_jpg-2845345.JPGThey had a substantial crew of people working for several months to cut and machine the graphite blocks and build the "pile". It's going to take more than a trip or three to Colorado... CP1 had 40 tons of uranium oxide and 6 tons of uranium metal for fuel.
As I posted a page back...
If you can make highly-enriched uranium you can make a reactor this size:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/flickr_godiva-720_jpg-2845387.JPG
Or
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/Flattop_critical_assembly_jpg-2845392.JPGWhich is essentially what killed Louis Slotin, set up to be operated mechanically.
View Quote

Godiva and Flattop.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Easy. You have a nuclear family, the wife leaves with half his shit and jumps into the middle of another relationship, causing that one to break up. Now you have TWO free roaming wimmenz out on the prowl to bust up marriages. Keeps going. St. Nick
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Godiva and Flattop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:330 tons of nuclear-grade graphite.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/8167736696_6096b9d9a7_o_jpg-2845345.JPGThey had a substantial crew of people working for several months to cut and machine the graphite blocks and build the "pile". It's going to take more than a trip or three to Colorado... CP1 had 40 tons of uranium oxide and 6 tons of uranium metal for fuel.
As I posted a page back...
If you can make highly-enriched uranium you can make a reactor this size:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/flickr_godiva-720_jpg-2845387.JPG
Or
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/Flattop_critical_assembly_jpg-2845392.JPGWhich is essentially what killed Louis Slotin, set up to be operated mechanically.

Godiva and Flattop.

Godiva IV actually, the original Godiva got a little hot and bothered and out of sorts

Attachment Attached File

This was the original - the Dragon, as in "tickling the dragon's tail" (don't wake up the dragon and get scorched). Named by the inimitable Richard Feynman, when the experiment was proposed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Imagine a billiards table where the balls represent atomic particles. The big atom that can be split apart is the 8-ball sitting quietly. The cue ball you're striking is like a neutron, a tiny particle.

When you strike the cue ball and it hits the 8-ball, the 8-ball doesn't just roll away. Instead, imagine it breaks into two smaller balls (let's say two striped balls). This is like nuclear fission: the big atom (8-ball) is hit by a neutron (cue ball) and splits into two smaller atoms (striped balls).

But there's more! Imagine that when the 8-ball splits, it also pops out a couple more cue balls that roll out and hit other 8-balls on the table, causing them to split too. This is the chain reaction in nuclear fission.

And the energy? Every time an 8-ball splits, it creates a little flash of light - that's the energy released in nuclear fission, much like how nuclear power plants generate electricity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sir

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sir

Succinct. Beauteous

Quoted:

At a practical level, essentially nothing. By definition, a gamma is emitted by the nucleus, while an X-ray comes from the electrons, but both are photons - electromagnetic radiation, like visible light - just at higher energy levels. Most of the time gammas are higher frequency/energy level but not always.

There are almost no spontaneous sources of X-rays, they're a result of something going on that pumps up the energy level of an atoms electrons which is then released as an X-ray. Gammas are emitted spontaneously from unstable/radioactive nuclei, or from nuclear reactions. They're both ionizing electromagnetic radiation and a spectrometer to identify the source via energy signatures is the only real way to tell them apart.

Beta radiation is the same kind of situation... beta radiation is just free electrons. The only difference between "beta radiation" and "electron beam" is that beta by definition is emitted by a nucleus, whereas an electron beam just comes from an ionized source of free electrons. Electron beams are also known as "cathode rays", and if you've ever watched a traditional television or CRT computer monitor you've been looking at the effect of electron beams hitting phosphors on the inside of the glass.

Have we ever determined what it is that you do for a living? You are way too smart on way too many subjects

Quoted:

Godiva and Flattop.

what do you know of it?  DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION KIRK ANSWER ME NOW
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Shit's hot yo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

How many people die of skin cancer related illness?  Probably more than Fission Reactors in the US.  In fact more people die from natural gas related deaths (fire, explosion, CO) than from all nuclear including Chernobyl - Don't get me started on how many actually died.  Its another Ukraine "hand me money to fix my problem" scam that lasted 30 years.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I have only a rudimentary understanding of the process of fission.  However, I do find the timeline of a nuclear detonation, how long it takes a nuclear bomb to explode, absolutely fascinating.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have only a rudimentary understanding of the process of fission.  However, I do find the timeline of a nuclear detonation, how long it takes a nuclear bomb to explode, absolutely fascinating.
View Quote
Also,

consider the actual, physical amount of active material that's involved. They don't really let a lot of data out, but say a softball's worth of one material, and a coffee can or two of another material, and they made an entire island disappear from the face of the Earth.

.... sorry, must resist turning every nuke thread into a nuc thread.

How much material is in an average US reactor, once you peel all the other crap away? Pics?

Also, who wants to talk about pebble beds and other tech, or is this one for theory only?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also,

consider the actual, physical amount of active material that's involved. They don't really let a lot of data out, but say a softball's worth of one material, and a coffee can or two of another material, and they made an entire island disappear from the face of the Earth.

How much material is in an average US reactor, once you peel all the other crap away? Pics?

Also, who wants to talk about pebble beds and other tech, or is this one for theory only?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also,

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

Speed of light is about 300,000,000

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

300,000,000 ^2 = 90,000,000,000,000,000

1,000,000,000 J / 90,000,000,000,000,000 = 11.111/1,000,000,000 g

So 11.111ng/s of mass is lost to generate 1gW thermal.

U235 loses about 0.1 percent of its mass during fission, so the amount of U235 into waste is about 1,000 times that.

11.111 ng * 1,000 = 11.111 µg

So a 1gWt reactor consumes about 11.111 µg of U235 per second.

86,400 seconds per day, that is 11.111 * 86,400 ~= 1g of U235 per day.

Edit: Someone double check my math?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

1,000,000,000 J / 90,000,000,000,000,000 = 90/1,000,000 g

So 90 micrograms/s of mass is lost to generate 1gW thermal.

U235 loses about 0.1 percent of its mass during fission, so the amount of U235 into waste is about 1,000 times that.

90  g * 1,000 = 90 mg.

So a 1gWt reactor consumes about 90mg of U235 per second.

86,400 seconds per day, that is 90 * 86,400 = 7.776kg per day.

Edit: fixed some details.
Edit2: Lol my terrible division. Fixing now.
View Quote

Uh

I had no idea that the burnup was kg/day. That's a ton for something you have to take the lid off of to service it. Maybe we should go back to air cooling like the graphite reactor and windscale lol       whoops, yeah, I'd buy a gram or so total for all of it, a day. Thanks!

Found a video on them making the fuel rods. They have their nuts next to them, so that tells you something. That something is; that's probably how they made eunuchs in the bible times. Stand next to this rod, Ephod, then you may bathe the harem.

How It's Made - Uranium Part 2
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Uh

I had no idea that the burnup was kg/day. That's a ton for something you have to take the lid off of to service it. Maybe we should go back to air cooling like the graphite reactor and windscale lol

Found a video on them making the fuel rods. They have their nuts next to them, so that tells you something. That something is; that's probably how they made eunuchs in the bible times. Stand next to this rod, Ephod, then you may bathe the harem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ehyxRBMbw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

90  g * 1,000 = 90 mg.

Uh

I had no idea that the burnup was kg/day. That's a ton for something you have to take the lid off of to service it. Maybe we should go back to air cooling like the graphite reactor and windscale lol

I did the division by the speed of light squared completely wrong. Fixed it now. 1g per day U235 turned into lighter atoms. about 1mg per day mass burn.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Uh

I had no idea that the burnup was kg/day. That's a ton for something you have to take the lid off of to service it. Maybe we should go back to air cooling like the graphite reactor and windscale lol       whoops, yeah, I'd buy a gram or so total for all of it, a day. Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

90  g * 1,000 = 90 mg.

Uh

Oh also, if it is Uranium dioxide they use for the fuel with no enrichment, then it is 0.7% U-235 by weight, and the oxygen adds 2 * 16 / 238 or about 13.4% more mass.

1+1/0.007 = 144
144 * 1.134 = 163

Multiplied by 1g per day would make it 163 grams of unenriched Uranium Dioxide fuel per day.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of all the mind-bogglingness of nuclear stuff, I find this the most boggling.

Take high_order1's softball (or less) of material with some high explosive around it to compress it to make an atomic bomb.

Take his "coffee can or two" of other stuff, set it inches away from that atomic bomb. Wrap them both up in a layer of heavy metal.

Set off the atomic bomb. The coffee-can's worth of fusion fuel goes through a whole sequence of actions initiated by the radiation pulse from the atomic bomb, and burns through its fusion processes before the shock wave from the atomic bomb (or the HE) traverses the few inches. Inches.

Attachment Attached File

Along with insulation, batteries, control circuitry and all that stuff, it all fits in that size package.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
In the future fission will be use to collect particles and fused(fusion) together to make....whatever you want. Get yer recipes together.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's only a hazard if you eat it or breathe it.

Once it's been in the reactor and is full of highly radioactive fission fragments, then one of those would kill you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sir

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed on both counts.
They still classify exactly what are in the 'converters' used at K25, and assuming currently at PGDP. (Is that place still running or hot standby??)

My grandmother worked at K25. When she was made aware of what she was working with, she suffered a mental breakdown that she never recovered from.

Sir

There’s a reason why Revenge of the Nerds were the tri lambda fraternity.

They were on three different wavelengths.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Once it's been in the reactor and is full of highly radioactive fission fragments, then one of those would kill you.
View Quote
kind of seems like fission might be an issue at that distance and net weight  (shrugs)
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote
tell us about Navy reactors, shipmate!

Quoted:

I did the division by the speed of light squared completely wrong. Fixed it now. 1g per day U235 turned into lighter atoms. about 1mg per day mass burn.
View Quote
Hey, it's ok. I can't even math out my time sheet some days. Thank you for the effort!
Quoted:

Oh also, if it is Uranium dioxide they use for the fuel with no enrichment, then it is 0.7% U-235 by weight, and the oxygen adds 2 * 16 / 238 or about 13.4% more mass.

1+1/0.007 = 144
144 * 1.134 = 163

Multiplied by 1g per day would make it 163 grams of unenriched Uranium Dioxide fuel per day.

View Quote
Wonder if you could calculate how many pounds you would need to achieve natural criticality? (Bet there is a NUREG that discusses it somewhere)

Quoted:

Of all the mind-bogglingness of nuclear stuff, I find this the most boggling.

Take high_order1's softball (or less) of material with some high explosive around it to compress it to make an atomic bomb.

Take his "coffee can or two" of other stuff, set it inches away from that atomic bomb. Wrap them both up in a layer of heavy metal.

Set off the atomic bomb. The coffee-can's worth of fusion fuel goes through a whole sequence of actions initiated by the radiation pulse from the atomic bomb, and burns through its fusion processes before the shock wave from the atomic bomb (or the HE) traverses the few inches. Inches.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/W80_nuclear_warhead_jpg-2851821.JPG

Along with insulation, batteries, control circuitry and all that stuff, it all fits in that size package.
View Quote
I like the 'mass defect' aspect of it. Energy=weight?  

Also, it's my understanding that even with the biggest, fastest computer on the planet, they still cannot simulate an entire reaction start to finish with any fidelity. Instead, they can only do portions in time. (It's been years since I really looked into it though).

(Also, I use softball as a measure because that roughly approximates a Christy pit.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#38]
The US military said I could.  At least to their satisfaction.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
kind of seems like fission might be an issue at that distance and net weight  (shrugs)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is unlikely enough that a fast neutron will hit another uranium atom that any fission that does happen produces very few additional fissions. There is far too much empty space between atomic nuclei, and they just pass through. The radioactivity is that of natural uranium, which has a pretty long half life.

Spent fuel rods have a very large number of much shorter half life atoms, mostly fission products, but also small amounts of upgraded atoms from neutron captures. The shorter half lives means a much higher radioactivity per unit of weight vs natural uranium, but the radiation is still not from fissions, but from decay.

You should definitely look up neutron source for things that can have dangerous levels of fissions without a moderator to slow neutrons down.

Neutron bombs are low yield thermonuclear bombs with a high number of fusions. The neutron flux is short lived, but intense enough to kill people in a larger radius than the explosion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Agreed on both counts.

View Quote
Wavelength?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#41]
It's when the Wendy's chilli reacts with the chocolate frosty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wonder if you could calculate how many pounds you would need to achieve natural criticality?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wonder if you could calculate how many pounds you would need to achieve natural criticality?

If you mean how many pounds you need of natural uranium to achieve criticality, the answer is "you can't". Natural uranium can't achieve criticality without a moderator. Hence CP-1 as described earlier.

Quoted:
There were two criticality accidents with the core.  In the first accident, one dead in 25 days due to the radiation.  The other guy died at 61, 33 years later from leukemia.  (maybe due to the accident, maybe not, he got 8 rads).

Here's the devilish detail about criticality accidents.

Neutrons.

When some elements absorb a neutron, the resulting isotope is radioactive. The three main types of radiation, alpha - beta - gamma, do not make other things radioactive. Neutrons, however, do make other things radioactive, what's called neutron activation.

Fission or fusion chain reactions are the only real way to generate neutrons in quantity. If someone is unfortunate enough to be exposed to a criticality accident, not only are they exposed to direct beta and gamma radiation doses, but they are also exposed to a significant quantity of neutrons, so that various elements within their body become radioactive. Thus they are exposed to additional dose of radiation on an ongoing basis. The second victim there may have received a dose of 8 rads from the accident, but now his own body is generating radiation, he may have received another 8 rads in the year following that (pure speculation as an example). Then 6 the year after that, 4.5 the year after that, 3.5 the year after that, 3 the year after that, etc etc. The point is you do not want to be around a criticality accident.

Reactors are built with care out of materials that have low responses to neutron activation, to reduce the overall radiation levels. You can't pick what the human body is made out of though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
what do you know of it?  DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION KIRK ANSWER ME NOW
View Quote

They are two of four zero power nuclear reactors that were initially built and operated at TA-18 Los Alamos National Laboratory for the Department of Energy.
The other two are Planet and Comet.  
They were moved to the Nevada Test Site (now called the Nevada National Security Site).  They reside in the Device Assembly Facility at NTS.  Approximately half of the DAF building is dedicated to the operation and support of these machines. That half was previously named the Criticality Experiments Facility and later renamed the National Criticality Experiments Research Center.
A fairly recent experiment conducted on Flattop and sponsored by NASA was named Duff (someone had a sense of humor).  Duff Experiment
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Uh

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

90  g * 1,000 = 90 mg.

Uh

That’s fucking fascinating!  

Free power. From rocks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Free power. From rocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1gW is 1,000,000,000 J/s

E=MC^2

M = E/C^2

90  g * 1,000 = 90 mg.

Uh

Free power. From rocks.

It’s solar power… Well supernovae power. Those are really the only astronomical events that can fuse atoms up to the atomic weight of Uranium due to it being so lossy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Approximately half of the DAF building is dedicated to the operation and support of these machines.
View Quote
In a general sense, what would the point be? are they tickling increasingly older dragons' balls tails, or what application would merit such a large expenditure of square feet?

Did ARIES ever go into production?
Quoted:

That's fucking fascinating!  

Free power. From rocks.
View Quote
dude.

Don't tell anyone, but the dirty secret of nuclear is that it is...

Click To View Spoileralso, as far as I know, it is the only method of charging cell phones and ev's that can make more fuel as it goes along. #inconvenientfactsarestillfacts
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Solar and wind are really nuclear power, just comes from the big nuclear reactor in the sky.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Ronald Reagan & the Biggest Failure in Physics
Well

Guess this thread has run its course.

Leave y'all with a three part series that only the true nuke nuts will be able to power through. I found it interesting enough to do all the parts.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Lots of fast particles ping around and then cause more particles start pinging around like multidirectional dominoes until they’re all just bouncing into each other like billions of angry little microscopic bumper cars, and each collision generates a little heat, which scales up to generate a lot of heat.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top