Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody seen an ivory billed woodpecker?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I notice that as I get older, fatter, and slower I've been paying more attention to the little things. Birds, flowers, and trees would never have blipped my radar ten years ago but now I don't mind sitting on the back porch and watching the little guys play. Always neat to see something new or rare too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yesterday I rescued a baby chickadee that had fallen out of its nest prematurely.

At first I thought it was a dog turd in the driveway but upon closer inspection it was a chick.

I moved it to a shady/grassy area off the driveway and vowed to let nature take its course.

6 hours later my conviction to nature waned and I rescued the little bugger.

I prepared a nice "nest" in a spare dog bowl with water, grass, smooshed up strawberries and a dead dragonfly.

He/She? began to defacate and overall was building strength.  Started to work its wings and overall you could see a spark in its eyes.

A couple of hours later baby chick had strengthened enough to gain appropriate airspeed to launch itself from its temporary home.

My GSD promptly ate it.

Nature had its way yesterday.
View Quote

This touching story reminded me of the time in my childhood that we bottle fed 2 squirrel. After a few weeks of strengthening, the big day was upon us to return them to the wonders of nature.

We put them both on an oak tree and gleefully witnessed their assent....until they fell. And were eaten by our standard poodle.
View Quote

Ah yes.... The circle of life.

When I was 10 my Mom found a Luna moth pupae and stuck it in a jar.  Come springtime, the miracle of transformation happened, and a beautiful winged creature emerged.  We watched it unfold its wings as they took shape.  After a while we put the jar out on the driveway and watched that new being take flight.  It flapped up, up, crossing the street and heading for the tree on the other side...

...where a bird swooped down and ate it.  Poor creature had 30 seconds of freedom. and no chance to fuck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Step 1. Find bird
Step 2. Look at it
Step 3. Profit
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Know how I know your not English ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
it’s relaxing to see the beautiful natural world

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
There are different degrees to it..

Bought my wife a nice bird feeder setup for Mothers Day last year...

We have families of cardinals, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, and house finches that show up every day.

We'll sit out on the patio in the late afternoon with a cigar and watch the birds come in to eat. Last week, we watched the blue jays teach one of the juvenile jays to eat at the feeder. The juvi jay was sitting on the fence squawking wanting someone to bring it some food. The adult jay would peck on the feeder and then look at the juvi.. this happened several times before the juvi finally got the hint. The house finches have pretty cool songs. We also have a mockingbird couple that's started hunting in our back yard since we did a bunch of landscaping back there. One of the mockingbirds will stand on one foot when it sings. Birds can be weird, too..

We get a lot of doves that come and hang out, but they can't really eat from the feeders - we got the anti-squirrel ones and the doves are too heavy. But they still hang out and will peck around a bit at the suet blocks. Doves regularly get into showdowns with the red bellied peckers who will get after the doves with their pointy face knives if they get too annoyed.

It's cheep entertainment for when we're enjoying a cigar and an adult beverage.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I certainly would not consider myself a “birdwatcher”, my SO and I both enjoy watching and trying to ID the different birds we see while we are still hunting. It’s a fun way to pass the time
View Quote

Yup. It's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Elitism.  

I look around and I see, rabbit, deer, chipmunk, squirrel, bird, bird, bird, red bird, hummingbird.  No big deal.  

Some people want to show off with books, binos, a vest I think they wear.  It’s all “look at me I’m better than you because I see 5 different hummingbird species and idiots like you can’t even tell the difference”.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The reward is being out in nature away from others.

Checking birds off the list is just a plus.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't consider myself a bird watcher, but I do enjoy observing wildlife.  When I used to put out birdseed, we would often get 15-20 different kinds of birds on my back porch.  We once had 17 mourning doves there at the same time.   Every once in a while a hawk would swoop in and harvest a bird.  Birds would go nuts trying to escape and would slam into our living room window so hard that it sounded like someone hitting a tennis ball against the window.

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the birds, but if they showed up, they were kind of cool to see.  Since I quit putting out bird seed, I hardly see any of them.

some I remember"

gold finches
red winged blackbirds
mourning doves
chickadees
towhees
flickers
blue jays
camp jays
red tailed hawks (or Cooper's hawks, I can't tell the difference)
osprey
Bald Eagle
Heron
crows
anna's humming birds
Raufoss humming birds

Anyhow, the birds are interesting, and when there is plenty of seed around, they get along really well.  but I don't consider myself a bird watcher.  If they come around, swell, but I don't go looking for them, or walk around the woods with binoculars trying to see a certain one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am partial to the tufted titmouse as well.
View Quote

All joking aside, the black crested titmouse has a beautiful call.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Look great at 9x with a mil dot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Birds AND butterflies are fun to watch and ID.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My sister studied ornithology at Cornell and worked with the team that rediscovered them. She did not see one however.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in the yard. I watched a couple dove land in a pine next to a fake one I put there.  
 I've noticed a lot more different birds and more this year.    Some of them I wonder what they are.
Well from there it's how far you take it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Uh. You basically look at birds.
View Quote

This.  You fucking watch birds!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m afraid to ask but WTF is “shooting house sex”?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I certainly would not consider myself a “birdwatcher”, my SO and I both enjoy watching and trying to ID the different birds we see while we are still hunting. It’s a fun way to pass the time; that and shooting house sex.

Attachment Attached File

Sit in here

Have sex

Maybe kill a deer

Enjoy an adult beverage

One of the many reasons that I love the fact that my SO likes to come to camp with me.  She’s also trying to get to the point she can outdrink some of the guys. (she’ll never get there but I appreciate her determination)
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you like getting up at 5am and walking around with a bunch of fat frumpy lesbians wearing binoculars?  If so, then bird watching might be for you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136311/FE5F2657-D0B4-42ED-B488-7FBE267104EE_jpe-1475078.JPG

Sit in here

Have sex

Maybe kill a deer

Enjoy an adult beverage

One of the many reasons that I love the fact that my SO likes to come to camp with me.  She’s also trying to get to the point she can outdrink some of the guys. (she’ll never get there but I appreciate her determination)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I certainly would not consider myself a “birdwatcher”, my SO and I both enjoy watching and trying to ID the different birds we see while we are still hunting. It’s a fun way to pass the time; that and shooting house sex.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136311/FE5F2657-D0B4-42ED-B488-7FBE267104EE_jpe-1475078.JPG

Sit in here

Have sex

Maybe kill a deer

Enjoy an adult beverage

Well now it makes sense. We don’t have shooting houses here but I may build one now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I like birds.

OP doesn't like birds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
My gf has a bird feeder on the back porch. I get to watch birds and get rid of squirrels. Squirrels are assholes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
op have you seen the foamers?

Quoted:
It's a good way to put yourself into a position to threaten lone white women in secluded gay hookup spots.
View Quote

wait what?  that racist yankee white karen was looking to scissor?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm just going to say that I have 10 hummingbird feeders in the back yard. 50 of them engaged in aerial combat is something to see.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm just going to say that I have 10 hummingbird feeders in the back yard. 50 of them engaged in aerial combat is something to see.
View Quote
Little bastards make sure to let you know that the feeder is empty too. I had a fly by so damn close that I nearly fell off my porch. Now they just hover in front of my face for a few seconds to let me know.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Elitism.  

I look around and I see, rabbit, deer, chipmunk, squirrel, bird, bird, bird, red bird, hummingbird.  No big deal.  

Some people want to show off with books, binos, a vest I think they wear.  It’s all “look at me I’m better than you because I see 5 different hummingbird species and idiots like you can’t even tell the difference”.

View Quote

I see that elitest mindset with amateur nature photographers some. Birders who don't use cameras sorta hate on nature photographers and their bogarting of nesting birds or lingering too long making wildlife uncomfortable.

There is likely some truth to the rest of the gear that forms a function for looking at birds. Some take it too far.

Here in Texas, I have gotten to the point with birds where I can identify nearly all by call and don't need my binoculars much in the field. When you reach that point you can start having conversations with friends on hikes and you can carry minimal gear along. You still pay attention to the bird activity but it's a background event you filter through. Took about five years to get there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but I did see the billboard on I-40 in Arkansas that proudly announced its return. This, despite the fact that it hasn’t been confirmed and nobody’s seen an actual live one in decades.

Bird watching seems like a quiet peaceful way to get outside and enjoy something for its own sake.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I like watching birds. Or any kind of wildlife.

I don't go out in a Barbour jacket, tweed bucket hat and 4 pairs of Binos though. I just sit down and watch whatever happens by.

Sometimes the birds just scratch around for food. Sometimes a fight breaks out. It's all good.

There's some kind of bird that sits on a fence by my work truck. He's there almost every morning before sun up. Peeping away. I kinda miss him when he's not there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Some people simply enjoy nature, and watching how animals interact with their environment and other animals.
I see nothing at all wrong with it.

View Quote

Now that's a bird worth lookin' at.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When I was 10 my Mom found a Luna moth pupae and stuck it in a jar.  Come springtime, the miracle of transformation happened, and a beautiful winged creature emerged.  We watched it unfold its wings as they took shape.  After a while we put the jar out on the driveway and watched that new being take flight.  It flapped up, up, crossing the street and heading for the tree on the other side...

...where a bird swooped down and ate it.  Poor creature had 30 seconds of freedom. and no chance to fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yesterday I rescued a baby chickadee that had fallen out of its nest prematurely.

At first I thought it was a dog turd in the driveway but upon closer inspection it was a chick.

I moved it to a shady/grassy area off the driveway and vowed to let nature take its course.

6 hours later my conviction to nature waned and I rescued the little bugger.

I prepared a nice "nest" in a spare dog bowl with water, grass, smooshed up strawberries and a dead dragonfly.

He/She? began to defacate and overall was building strength.  Started to work its wings and overall you could see a spark in its eyes.

A couple of hours later baby chick had strengthened enough to gain appropriate airspeed to launch itself from its temporary home.

My GSD promptly ate it.

Nature had its way yesterday.

This touching story reminded me of the time in my childhood that we bottle fed 2 squirrel. After a few weeks of strengthening, the big day was upon us to return them to the wonders of nature.

We put them both on an oak tree and gleefully witnessed their assent....until they fell. And were eaten by our standard poodle.

Hawk snatches up duckling after child sets it free
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Listen, I have good vision, but even I can't make out distinguishing plumage at 100ft away.

Fucking knitting circle on here
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#33]
They are the Cat and Horse people of the Bird World.
On the edge of being mentally unstable 87% of the time.
There obsession is their safe space.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I do that from my back porch.  Really just to ID the birds that come to the feeder.  But then I also do that with aircraft...plane spotting.  

Why, I don’t know.  Why do people here like to make holes in paper using lead projectiles?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I like to bird watch. It's really cool to watch Bald Eagles, Red Tailed Hawks and Kingfishers just go about their daily business.

Although most of my bird watching is from behind a blind waiting for ducks and geese.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#36]
We stopped feeding them in May but I keep the bird bath full. Robins appreciate it.

This spring was the first time I ever saw a towhee.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#37]
The funny thing is that the birds are actually human watching.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I watch them.  And everything else.  When I see flora or fauna I want to know what it is.  I can’t be content in ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The guys with 3ft telephotos and giant directional mics are *not* about enjoying nature.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#40]
If you don’t have good binoculars (minimum $400) you won’t understand.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Two days ago I found this little guy abandoned in my yard in pretty bad shape.
He's starting to look good on his diet of Purina cat chow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#42]
bird watching binoculars in the wild are the equivalent of having a clip board in the city you walk all around and nobody asks you your business.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it's one of those things where the more you learn about it, the more you realize there is to it.

Maybe not the same, but, watching golf is boring. *Playing* golf is hard. Then, watching golf is more interesting because you can see all of the little techniques and nuances you missed before.

I've got so many birds around my house because I put out bird feeders. After a while I've started wondering what each type actually is. We've also got hawks and bald eagles that circle overhead and ride the currents, and those guys and fucking awesome. I'll grab the binos to watch them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The guys with 3ft telephotos and giant directional mics are *not* about enjoying nature.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some are, some aren’t.

Most things don’t always fit into a category.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I usually call it “grouse hunting” but based on my results the last few years you could also call it “bird watching”.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Listen, I have good vision, but even I can't make out distinguishing plumage at 100ft away.

View Quote

With 8 or 10X?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#47]
A couple years ago I kept a log and had 47 species of birds on my deck at my feeders.

Figuring out what all of them are and watching their habits is fun if you are the patient type.  People who like stimulation and obnoxious noise all the time don't get it.

My best spotting was a pair of Autobon's Orioles, which just shouldn't happen in WI.  They were probably an escaped from captivity pair as they didn't seem to know what to do.

Also fed someone's parakeet for a while. lol.

Most of the time now I can identify them by their calls and also what they are doing at the time.  Cardinals for example have a specific feeding call they use when their mates are around or lots of other birds.

Bird watching is more interesting than fishing, but lots of people don't have problems understanding that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

With 8 or 10X?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 8 or 10X?

These are the ones I have. Not bad at all and a good price
Linky
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are the Cat and Horse people of the Bird World.
On the edge of being mentally unstable 87% of the time.
There obsession is their safe space.
View Quote

You sound fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think it's pretty cool to watch them .
View Quote

yep
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top