Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2013 4:29:49 AM EDT
Can you legally buy these helmets? I was looking into getting one. They run about $200, while new ones are over $400.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  Body armor is legal in most states.  Some states require a permit.  So do your homework before you buy it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes.  Body armor is legal in most states.  Some states require a permit.  So do your homework before you buy it.

How do I know the soldier or Marine selling it didn't steal it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I got a brand new ACH for 170. I have since repainted it since my light mount chipped the paint and dinged the rubber lip.

You have to be careful though. A fair percentage are stolen from the .mil or elsewhere. I couldnt give you an exact figure but it's significant, so it doesnt hurt to ask where it came from as a CYA. Many if not most are GTG. Id recommend buying a new one, but most of the used ones should be GTG as long as there arent gouges into the kevlar itself.

Just bare in mind that if you do buy a hot one there is a small chance that CID et al may show up at your door. Generally though that's very rare as helmets arent one of the "hot items" for them to go after it seems. The vast majority of the time from what I understand it's no harm no foul unless you knew it was hot. They just take it to investigate the seller or his source. You may or may not be able to file a charge back claim with ebay. Very rarely they will try to fuck with you, but that seems to be mostly folks that have gotten their attention in some way like reselling stuff (especially stuff they have a hardon for at the time like NVGs). Best bet is to direct them to your attorney if the show up at your door and get agressive. Or better yet dont answer the door and let them move on to the next name on the list.

There are threads out there if you wan to read about those incidents, but they are fairly rare. I know several folks that buy tons of gear and armor there and have never had an issue. Stay away from NODS and IR lasers though. The feds have a hardon for those for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll know when the FBI, CID, or NCIS show up at the door.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it a bad sign if they come with issued helmet covers, goggles, nvg mounts, a surefire helmet light and says "combat used!" In the description?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it a bad sign if they come with issued helmet covers, goggles, nvg mounts and a surefire helmet light?

Nah. I'm sure it's all good.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If the price is too good and the seller's zip code is 28307 I'd skip it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I find them all the time at yard sales.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope I never need one of those.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is $200 for a brand new ACH from Clarkesville Tn too good?

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]
200, depending on manufacturer, is about the going rate. Botach was blowing a bunch out at 199 for a while there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it a bad sign if they come with issued helmet covers, goggles, nvg mounts, a surefire helmet light and says "combat used!" In the description?

There is ZERO chance that item was properly disposed of through DRMO.   ZERO chance.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is ZERO chance that item was properly disposed of through DRMO.   ZERO chance.

Doesn't anybody in the mil look at ebay? There are at least a dozen just like that. A lot say "USMC lightweight helmet" or "Army issued ACH"

You'd think they could sort that out before they sell it and the buyer gets stuck with a hot potatoe.

Did they do this for WW2 helmets and Vietnam helmets?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The individual could have "lost" it, since he had such an attachment from wearing it in combat , had a FLIPL done, signed a statement of charges, let the GOV recoup the money and then it's his..........Could being the operative word though
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't anybody in the mil look at ebay? There are at least a dozen just like that. A lot say "USMC lightweight helmet" or "Army issued ACH"

You'd think they could sort that out before they sell it and the buyer gets stuck with a hot potatoe.

You have a responsibility as a buyer to use simple common sense.

Use it or don't.  That's your choice.  Just understand that if you don't you are inviting the man into your life.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is $200 for a brand new ACH from Clarkesville Tn too good?

LOL.  Pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The individual could have "lost" it, since he had such an attachment from wearing it in combat , had a FLIPL done, signed a statement of charges, let the GOV recoup the money and then it's his..........Could being the operative word though

You can suggest that possible explanation that to CID.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#20]
MICH or GTFO
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There's virtually no way for authorities to know if it's hot or not.    

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You have a responsibility as a buyer to use simple common sense.

Use it or don't.  That's your choice.  Just understand that if you don't you are inviting the man into your life.

If I get a helmet that isn't stolen, can I buy a military helmet cover for it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can suggest that possible explanation that to CID.

I went and checked with my BDE S4, he said FLIPL or statement of charges doesn't matter, it's still GOV property.

I would think buyer would be in the clear, except for losing his shit if CID came knocking.  They would want the seller more than the buyer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Dont buy that junk.

Get a fancy Ops Core or Airframe.

Gear snob it up a notch.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well this seems pretty obvious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combat-Used-Multicam-ACH-Advanced-Combat-Helmet-Medium-Trama-Sensor-Rare-/151014365936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329285af0

I remember seeing one that had a unit patch in it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dont buy that junk.

Gear snob it up a notch.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I went and checked with my BDE S4, he said FLIPL or statement of charges doesn't matter, it's still GOV property.

Exactly.  So few Joes understand that.  Even fewer understand that an item not being on your hand receipt for whatever reason doesn't mean it's yours to do with as you see fit.

I love the Army.  I love soldiers.  I fucking hate "Joe".
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dont buy that junk.

Gear snob it up a notch.

Not everybody can afford the tier 1 stuff
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally with stuff like helmets, unless they have the seller in their sites, they don't really care. I guess it's to much trouble to chase down helmets when their is no guarantee they are hot and when both the seller and the buyer can tell you to piss off. What are they going to say, "this guy bought/sold this thing on eBay that might be stolen please give us a warrant to rifle through his shit so we can look for proof that it MIGHT be stolen (but we may not be able to be absolutely certain)". Apparently they used to go after armor like the otv when it first came out and no one could realistically get them. In that case though they had stuff that was definitely .mil and wanted to make an example out of folks stealing desperately needed stuff during the start of a war. Now NODs are a different story. Apparently they are either high dollar enough, they don't want them getting out, or they are easy to track relatively to what is available on the civi side and they have been going balls deep in both sellers AND buyers. Best not to mess with NODs especially IR lasers "surplus" since those aren't technically civilian available for the high power ones so its much easier to prove they aren't legit according to the Feds that starts harrassing folks here. There was also a guy that got raided recently and had all kinds of extra shit stolen by the cops in addition to what they took and used as a pretext to get a warrant (mre case) and what that wanted in to his house for (he had been buying nvgs on eBay and resold some on Craigslist which seems to be what drew their ire).
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Combat-Used-Multicam-ACH-Advanced-Combat-Helmet-Medium-Trama-Sensor-Rare-/151014365936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329285af0

yup
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure that's legit.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#32]
There is a vendor here locally (Bridgeville) that also sells on ebay and the gunshows who buys them(ACH) direct from MSA here in town to resell -nothing illegal about it. From one of the legit vendors out there selling them --no problem but from the individual REMF selling his personal issue......that MIGHT bring CID to your door.

I would look at the vendors that are selling new unissed stuf and have actual stock of 10+ in each size --that way you dont get one that sat in the sun or got beat up and sweated on for 18 months even if just in training. There is plenty of gentex and msa out there sub $200 new to pick from.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Generally with stuff like helmets, unless they have the seller in their sites, they don't really care. I guess it's to much trouble to chase down helmets when their is no guarantee they are hot and when both the seller and the buyer can tell you to piss off. What are they going to say, "this guy bought/sold this thing on eBay that might be stolen please give us a warrant to rifle through his shit so we can look for proof that it MIGHT be stolen (but we may not be able to be absolutely certain)". Apparently they used to go after armor like the otv when it first came out and no one could realistically get them. In that case though they had stuff that was definitely .mil and wanted to make an example out of folks stealing desperately needed stuff during the start of a war. Now NODs are a different story. Apparently they are either high dollar enough, they don't want them getting out, or they are easy to track relatively to what is available on the civi side and they have been going balls deep in both sellers AND buyers. Best not to mess with NODs especially IR lasers "surplus" since those aren't technically civilian available for the high power ones so its much easier to prove they aren't legit according to the Feds that starts harrassing folks here. There was also a guy that got raided recently and had all kinds of extra shit stolen by the cops in addition to what they took and used as a pretext to get a warrant (mre case) and what that wanted in to his house for (he had been buying nvgs on eBay and resold some on Craigslist which seems to be what drew their ire).

There are 13 year olds on youtube with USMC issued Eagle SPC's that they bought on ebay.

They must have given up lol.

Wait, so buying MREs is illegal too?

Btw: I want to go the safe route. Does anyone know where I can buy an ACH that hasn't been stolen for $200 or less? It's the last thing I need to feel safe when the tornado sirens go off.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 13 year olds on youtube with USMC issued Eagle SPC's that they bought on ebay.

Probly if they are stolen. Dont know how they could prove that since mres arent exactly controlled items AFAIK. But in this case the guy (an arfcommer, there was a thread actually) had a case delivered and was sitting on his porch when they came to investigate the NVGs he was selling on Craigslist. According to him they conspired with the local cops to use that as a pretext to get a search warrant. I don't know what ever came of it though. I wouldn't touch NODs or lasers with a ten foot poll though regardless. It's always good to exercise caution regardless though. If a guy trying to sell you something tells you he is a soldier selling his "extra" stuff it's probly best to pass and play it safe even if its a good deal and even if he may have bought it privately. Having said that though tons of folks but gear and quite a few buy armor, so you'll most likely be fine. Worse comes to worse, you most likely just lose the item.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 13 year olds on youtube with USMC issued Eagle SPC's that they bought on ebay.    Go for it then

They must have given up lol. Depends on their mood

Wait, so buying MREs is illegal too? They are marked GOV property not for resale

Btw: I want to go the safe route. Does anyone know where I can buy an ACH that hasn't been stolen for $200 or less? It's the last thing I need to feel safe when the tornado sirens go off.

It's a gamble dude.  Nothing will most likely never happen.  But it could.  Don't invite the man into your life.

Look at the bottom of that listing posted above, there were some vendors on there, buying new from a company such as OPSCORE or a vendor on EBAY with new stock would be the best way to prevent the man from shooting your dag.  Keep your receipts also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could try botach. They definitely had XL in stock a couple months ago. But with them it's just as risky as buying stolen stuff given their customer service record. Haha.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probly if they are stolen. Dont know how they could prove that since mres arent exactly controlled items AFAIK. But in this case the guy (an arfcommer, there was a thread actually) had a case delivered and was sitting on his porch when they came to investigate the NVGs he was selling on Craigslist. According to him they conspired with the local cops to use that as a pretext to get a search warrant. I don't know what ever came of it though. I wouldn't touch NODs or lasers with a ten foot poll though regardless. It's always good to exercise caution regardless though. If a guy trying to sell you something tells you he is a soldier selling his "extra" stuff it's probly best to pass and play it safe even if its a good deal and even if he may have bought it privately. Having said that though tons of folks but gear and quite a few buy armor, so you'll most likely be fine. Worse comes to worse, you most likely just lose the item.

Don't forget to add ACOG's and AIMPOINTS to that list.  The serial numbers are linked to the GOV contract.  Don't get caught with one of those either
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Best is craigslist, post on a vpn and meet in person, have someone in the parking lot to transfer it to and park somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Why would any citizen need a helmet?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

To have something to hold NVGs to your head.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 13 year olds on youtube with USMC issued Eagle SPC's that they bought on ebay.    Go for it then

Wait, so buying MREs is illegal too? They are marked GOV property not for resale

It's a gamble dude.  Nothing will most likely never happen.  But it could.  Don't invite the man into your life.

Look at the bottom of that listing posted above, there were some vendors on there, buying new from a company such as OPSCORE or a vendor on EBAY with new stock would be the best way to prevent the man from shooting your dag.  Keep your receipts also.

Just because the eBay guy has new stuff doesn't necessarily mean you are good to go. I had a guy try to sell me new armor components one time who straight up admitted it was " extra stuff " he had from his time in the army and that he had just got out. Needless to say I passed. It's always best to ask the seller where the stuff came from just to cya.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Remove cover and Manufactures sticker and what are you left with?  I'll let you answer that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Any item that was procured into the .mil supply system and was not formally disposed of as surplus through DRMO (or other systems) is government property.

No individual has a legal right to sell or buy government property.

No MREs that were .mil have ever been released for private sale.  None.  None ever will be.  

Are there MREs (and like items) that have never been .mil?  Yes.

Again.... People need to use simple common sense.  Buying items online that might be government property is stupid.  If it smells fishy walk away.  If you don't then you are part of the problem and have only yourself to blame should the man decide that he's tired of his shit being stolen and (BEST case) comes and takes it back from you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Idk man. The other day a tornado rolled through Ga and my pakol didn't seem to provide enough protection.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Remove cover and Manufactures sticker and what are you left with?  I'll let you answer that.

A stolen helmet?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes you can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because the eBay guy has new stuff doesn't necessarily mean you are good to go. I had a guy try to sell me new armor components one time who straight up admitted it was " extra stuff " he had from his time in the army and that he had just got out. Needless to say I passed. It's always best to ask the seller where the stuff came from just to cya.

True.  What I was meant was a vendor/legit business like OPSCORE or one of them.  The ones who buy from a distributor.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#48]
I remember when they were going for $450+ in 2006. I got mine for 220 in 2006 from s shady pawn shop in dongduchon. CIF and my shit leadership tried to fuck me with a pasgt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remove cover and Manufactures sticker and what are you left with? I'll let you answer that.

A stolen helmet?

yeah

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Well the cheapest I can find is $275 on amazon (if that isn't legit I don't know what is). I looked on opscore and they only sell mounting systems, cushions, straps, etc. Botach is asking $500 and they only have large.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top