Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Technically if I know the distance between work and the gas station, then could it be solved or would trigonomics be involved
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe my equation is wrong.

I drove from a gas station to my house (distance y). I then drive from my house to my job (distance x) and back to my house (distance x). I have 44 miles on my trip computer after doing that.

I want to figure out how many miles each leg is.
View Quote

In Algebra you can only have one unknown variable.  So in an equation which have both X and Y unknowns you must substitute anther equation in place of one of the unknowns so you get only X variables or only Y variables.  There is no way to know from your example what equation would be related that could be substituted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
y = 44-2x

x = 22 -y/2

Impossible to give actual values without another equation.
View Quote

Jayne Cobb trying math...

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Technically if I know the distance between work and the gas station, then could it be solved or would trigonomics be involved
View Quote

Since it's highly unlikely these paths follow perfect straight lines, said distance is worthless and even trigonometry couldn't save you.

Honestly, Google maps measure distance tool, draw the lines along the path you drive and get the mileage from it, done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember telling myself in high school, that I didn't need this kind of math in real life.
I was right.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I will have the box lunch at the Y.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
2x+y=44 is a graph of a line - y=-2x+44 (Slope intercept)

when x=0 y=44

when y=0 x=22

There are infinitely many solutions that make this equation true.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Nvm
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I love this thread.

Maltose, you are win the internet today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe my equation is wrong.

I drove from a gas station to my house (distance y). I then drive from my house to my job (distance x) and back to my house (distance x). I have 44 miles on my trip computer after doing that.

I want to figure out how many miles each leg is.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top