Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Kippers
Spam
Corned beef hash
Smoked oysters
Chili with beans

I don't care much for Vienna sausages.

ETA:  What does everyone do with canned corned beef?  I've never tried it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keystone meats.  Sold at Walmart, as well as other places I'm sure.  They've got beef, ground beef, chicken, pork, & turkey.  All of them are only two ingredients:  meat, and sea salt.  They're delightful
View Quote

Came to post this.  Added bonus, there is a How Its Made episode on YT highlighting this company, so you can see exactly how it's made.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Such as?
View Quote

Chicken, Spam, Dinty Moore, Mary Kitchen Corned Beef hash, Chili, Stagg Chili, Tamales.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Came to post this.  Added bonus, there is a How Its Made episode on YT highlighting this company, so you can see exactly how it's made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keystone meats.  Sold at Walmart, as well as other places I'm sure.  They've got beef, ground beef, chicken, pork, & turkey.  All of them are only two ingredients:  meat, and sea salt.  They're delightful

How Factories Produce Canned Meat | How It''s Made
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Potted meat
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm taste testes alot of brands;

Clover Valley brand canned Roast Beef is very good.

For chicken, Costco's Chicken Breast is top notch.

Walmart Pulled Pork in BBQ sauce

Keystone if you can find it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cold out of the can.  And what is a lunch box cooker?  

I'll absolutely be trying SPAM.....DAK, I'd have to lose a bet.  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you cook the DAK ham or try to eat it out of the can? DAK's were part of my winter emergency food supply on my semi. Heat up some DAK in my lunch box cooker, make a bag of Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, and crack open a can a can of veggies while watching the snow or ice pile up on the closed interstate is hard to beat. One of my O/O was running with me and we shut down at a WV weigh station in a snowstorm, I brought him a plate of that and he was in awe. His dinner was going to be vienna sausages.

Thanks
This is like a 12v mini oven. It takes a while to cook raw meat, but I've made roasts, eggs and sausage, etc in it. In my beginning trucking days, it would take about 6 hours or so to cook a Jennie-O frozen turkey roast. Pop the frozen brick in and 6 hours later, better than truckstop food. The gelatinous goop on a DAK is nasty and needs to be melted off. I've eaten spam cooked and not cooked. I much prefer fried Spam. My parents would make spam salad. Grate spam on a grater, mix in mayo and chopped pickle or relish, put on bread like tuna.
Lunch box cooker that can be bought in most truckstops
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the usual... kipper snacks, corned beef hash and an occasional Spam sammich.

Hate to admit it but... I like Underwood deviled ham. On potato bread with a slice of swiss is not bad for a quick meal
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kippers
Spam
Corned beef hash
Smoked oysters
Chili with beans

I don't care much for Vienna sausages.

ETA:  What does everyone do with canned corned beef?  I've never tried it.
View Quote

I generally just dice/cube up some potatoes, cook them for a while in cast iron with butter, then add in corned beef and cook some more. So basically a corned beef hash.  Served with some over easy eggs on top.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I was surprised how good home canned salmon was
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Hormel spam may be an acquired taste but can be good.
Dinty moore beef stew is usually good.
Underwood deviled chicken salad is decent, the ham less so.
Canned smoked oysters in oil are usually very good.

Canned seafood can be surprisingly good.  It really depends on how it is canned.  Spain seems to have that down, and much of their canned seafood is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Spam, good tuna, deviled ham.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm taste testes alot of brands
View Quote

Oh my.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I love Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings.   The Dak ham is not bad if you fry it.   Makes a decent ham and cheese omelet.   We can out own meet for the most part.   Hamburger, steak, sausage and pork loin.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<  Yes,it’s weird but we both work in English so we mostly use English with each other >
View Quote

Okay that's pretty interesting.  Are your devices set to use uk/us english keyboard layouts?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the dinty more beef stew. Was at the track last year rained all weekend and temps in40s. I had a propane heater in the trailer running cracked the can and threw it on top for an hour. Sweet baby Jesus it was fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I love some canned sardines in mustard!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Referring to store-bought here.  In my experience, canned meat is pretty gnarly.  Rarely tastes like that type of meat and never good.  Canned tuna....ok.  Canned chicken...tastes like canned tuna.  Canned beef....tasted more like nasty chicken.  Once tried a DAK ham and almost puked.  Wife and I both agreed we'd tuck any others away for the apocalypse.  Years back another ARF.comer said we'd suck that gel on top of the ham up like it was ambrosia if we had nothing else to eat.

Anyway, are there any canned meats out there that people actually enjoy, crave, and eat on a regular or semi-regular basis??

Thanks!
View Quote

IMO, the best canned meats come from polish grocery stores. It’s something they do a lot better than we do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#19]

The mackerel is great, very mild.  I eat the shit out of it, made like tuna salad.  Love it with Miracle Whip.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Canned meats are terrible but they serve a purpose.    You could dig up a can of spam and bag of dried beans from a hole in the ground, and a few hours later eat something that will probably be amazing for the situation you are in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Keystone meats are legit. The beef is the best.  5 or 6 year shelf life too.  They're good for a mid to long term pantry item.

Never tried their canned turkey.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#22]
The foil pouch Starkist "Select" tuna in EVOO is where it's at as far as tuna goes.  As far as canned I can eat salmon, smoked oysters or corned beef, everything else is too salty for my liking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Dak or Hostess Ham. Slice it in half, bake in oven. Pour teriyaki glaze over it the last ten minutes. Just got through eating leftovers of it for lunch.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Canned chicken breast from costco is good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#26]
For me it's sardines and corned beef, I love corned beef sandwiches. While I might eat spam in a pinch, not a big fan. I know there's a lot of nitrates in CB butsince I don't eat it a lot I'm not worried. Oh yeah, Yoders canned bacon isn't half bad either, great on camping trips.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Corned Beef Hash...and used to do smoked oysters until the only ones you could find are raised in crap in China and have no texture...just sort of fall apart.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My SO got into Meateater a while ago because of Joe Rogan. I don’t hunt but she wanted to try different meats to see if she would be interested in liking them enough to try hunting and got canned elk,deer,moose and bear.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/3F3A648F-2BC9-4CDA-B8DF-A08B0476B6F7_jpe-2271340.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/F4DA4190-D83D-4512-A838-5FBDB08BB582_jpe-2271345.JPG

<  Yes,it’s weird but we both work in English so we mostly use English with each other >

There was also this breakfast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/4BA17BB8-AE8A-4000-905B-DD4B9CBE9839_jpe-2271347.JPG

Anyway,according to her canned deer and moose is preferable to canned bear which is allegedly greasy and too gamey. My at work lunches were more almonds and bananas. She’s obviously going to outlast me when SHTF
View Quote

I've been trying to find a vendor that will sell that brand/ship to the US, but no luck so far...  I want some canned moose.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Spam and sardines.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#30]
My pic from the recent sardines thread.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Keystone meats are legit. The beef is the best.  5 or 6 year shelf life too.  They're good for a mid to long term pantry item.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49656724732_45f5b409b3.jpg

Never tried their canned turkey.
View Quote

They better be good. Damn expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Corned beef. There are several brands some are better than others.
Vienna sausage
Potted meat and Deviled ham mixed with cream cheese makes an awesome sandwich spread and great with saltiness.

Chicken. We buy Sam's Club in the big cans.
Tuna and salmon.

Squid, Kipper, mackerel, sardines, oysters though they give me heartburn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wait....you love SPAM that much that you duped your own post??

Truth be told, I never had it.  At least not that I can remember.  How do you cook it or do you spoon it cold out of the can?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double

Wait....you love SPAM that much that you duped your own post??

Truth be told, I never had it.  At least not that I can remember.  How do you cook it or do you spoon it cold out of the can?

Thanks
He likes rape.......I mean spam
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
SPAM for the win!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#36]
surströmming, definitely surströmming
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I remember hearing some grocery vendors joke that Spam was the closest thing to human flesh you will ever eat.
View Quote
Supposed to taste like salty pork. So yeah.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Spam, fried, eggs, hshbrowns

Fried corned beef with kraut on rye or made into corned beef hash.

Canned shrimp, I make pizza with them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#39]
DAK ham is great for ham salads.  If you want to fry, just slice is like spam.  I dont recommending baking it whole, I never found it to be that good in that fashion.

25% reduced sodium SPAM
Genovo canned tuna
Kirkland canned chicken (for congee, porridge, soup, or some chicken salad)

All available at Costco.

Oh, and go get Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise.  Makes all that stuff taste better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#40]
The problem with a lot of prepared foods is the sodium levels. That would narrow the list down a lot for me. Certain smoked sardines or mackerels are good, but I'm sure I'd get sick of it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Spam tastes best when you haul it 10 miles in to the back country, slice and cook it on a flat rock next to an open fire.

Sucks to have to carry the can back, but often the sacrifice is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Spam, Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, Chili & Kipper here!
Eat it throughout the week, usually on a bed of rice (not the kipper).
Quick & hearty!
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Well I just bought some canned reindeer, so I'll let you know how that is.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is like a 12v mini oven. It takes a while to cook raw meat, but I've made roasts, eggs and sausage, etc in it. In my beginning trucking days, it would take about 6 hours or so to cook a Jennie-O frozen turkey roast. Pop the frozen brick in and 6 hours later, better than truckstop food. The gelatinous goop on a DAK is nasty and needs to be melted off. I've eaten spam cooked and not cooked. I much prefer fried Spam. My parents would make spam salad. Grate spam on a grater, mix in mayo and chopped pickle or relish, put on bread like tuna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you cook the DAK ham or try to eat it out of the can? DAK's were part of my winter emergency food supply on my semi. Heat up some DAK in my lunch box cooker, make a bag of Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, and crack open a can a can of veggies while watching the snow or ice pile up on the closed interstate is hard to beat. One of my O/O was running with me and we shut down at a WV weigh station in a snowstorm, I brought him a plate of that and he was in awe. His dinner was going to be vienna sausages.

Thanks

I used one of those on a field deployment. It works surprisingly well. Last time I used one of those aluminum mini loaf pans and heated up hot dogs with it. Didn't take long at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#46]
We live a good distance from any grocery, so I keep shelf stable things on hand. Here are some good ones that even my wife loves:

"Merry Kitchen" brand corned beef hash. Fry it up crisp, then serve with an over easy egg.

"Hereford" brand tinned roast beef. Can be used many ways, but I often cook rice and serve the warmed beef chunks over that.

"Hereford" brand canned ham. Yes, it's a chopped, pressed ham product, but it has a long shelf life and is uniformly good. I open one and get three meals for the two of us. Scrambled eggs with ham chunks, fried ham and cheese sandwiches, and fried ham slices with canned green beans and potatoes.

The Hereford products are from Argentina. I always keep some in stock if I can get them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
L.A. beast on youtube. That dude is fucking rugged.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Okay that's pretty interesting.  Are your devices set to use uk/us english keyboard layouts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SwiftKey is a good option, predictive and auto correct in as many languages as you want.

On topic, potted meat on a crunchy cracker is a guilty treat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Spam diced small, fried up crispy, add to eggs and potatoes. little bit of Cholula Sauce.  

Delicious...
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Personally for me, I am not a fan of canned anything. I find that it contains way too much sodium, in the form of MSG and salt. But I do use that stuff in my emergency preps. Canned food is vermin proof. Vermin can gnaw through the plasticized aluminum in MREs.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top