User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know, for as "backwards" as technology was then...it was pretty fucking clever.
View Quote

Hardly backwards. They thought big and built big. It's why we're still using so damn many things they built then, that have not worn out and WILL not wear out.

Acetylene gas lamps were a very bright white light, beyond anything that had been seen at the time.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Acetylene lamps make a very nice, warm light. That's why I like using my carbide lamp for caving. If it's going to be wet, or through squeezes, or on rope - I'll use my Stenlight. But if it's an easier cave I'll absolutely break out the carbide. Bright and the formations take on a much different character than they do with LED or halogen lights. It's like an incandescent bulb compared to a CFL. CFL is easier to deal with, but the incandescent will always look nicer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the carbide sight smoker that myself and other high power shooters use to blacken our iron sights that had been mentioned a few times in this thread. It works great!

http://www.sbsdistributing.com/index.php?pr=Ray-Vin_SuperSmoker

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn something new everyday...

Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top