Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tcfla:
Sorry to hear that.  Bigger question, what's the reason for the high BP?
View Quote

I asked this. No idea until they get the bloodwork back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor kitty.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Take cat to vet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry hear to that, OP. I hope Lauren makes a full recovery. Glad she has a loving family.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind 
View Quote

Poor kitty cat...
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind
View Quote
Awe damn.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Cats can adapt well to being blind. My Father has a cat that has glaucoma. He has no trouble finding his food, or litter box. Water is hard for him though. He can find it, but because he is blind as a bat. He has to feel for it with his paw. He's forever walking around with one wet foot.

He can't see more than light and shadow, but it's not held him back any.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, ever use essential oils in the house? I've read they can have adverse effects on cats.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Poor kitteh . My family's cat we had when I was a little kid was blind, I remember her being able to get around and do stuff just fine. I don't know how old she was when she went blind, but she lived to the ripe old age of 17.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind 
View Quote

Sucks to hear that, but blind cats can live kick ass lives. My aunt had a cat that had to have his eyes removed when he was 2 or 3. He had to be put down at 18 years old. Fucker used up his 9 lives plus a few extra. He faired well outside, would even catch a bird every so often. He'd disappear for a week or 2 but always found his way back. His whiskers were long as fuck, I'm assuming to help him feel around. he knew his way around the house just fine, until my aunt wanted to rearrange the furniture.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DegralDan:

Sucks to hear that, but blind cats can live kick ass lives. My aunt had a cat that had to have his eyes removed when he was 2 or 3. He had to be put down at 18 years old. Fucker used up his 9 lives plus a few extra. He faired well outside, would even catch a bird every so often. He'd disappear for a week or 2 but always found his way back. His whiskers were long as fuck, I'm assuming to help him feel around. he knew his way around the house just fine, until my aunt wanted to rearrange the furniture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DegralDan:

Sucks to hear that, but blind cats can live kick ass lives. My aunt had a cat that had to have his eyes removed when he was 2 or 3. He had to be put down at 18 years old. Fucker used up his 9 lives plus a few extra. He faired well outside, would even catch a bird every so often. He'd disappear for a week or 2 but always found his way back. His whiskers were long as fuck, I'm assuming to help him feel around. he knew his way around the house just fine, until my aunt wanted to rearrange the furniture.

Quoted:
Poor kitteh . My family's cat we had when I was a little kid was blind, I remember her being able to get around and do stuff just fine. I don't know how old she was when she went blind, but she lived to the ripe old age of 17.

I'm convinced cats have a much stronger threshold for pain than humans, maybe less nerves or something.    They are also uber tough....9 lives is a term for a reason.

Really pulling for OP's kitty, few things like a good kitty!   Sadly you can't just buy them either.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Dangit. Hope it turns around. I'm seeing so much more stuff online about peoples' young cats getting sick. Worst case scenario she's blind but damn do I see the same amount of blind cats on Instagram living the life. Good luck, homie.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Apples and oranges, I know but we had a dog get SARDS (Sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome and was permanently blind. Happened suddenly, no warning or treatment.
She was only about 7 years old when it happened and she adapted really well, lived to be about 14 years old.  For the most part could hardly ever tell she was blind, had kind of a sixth sense.

Fixed
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Hoping the best for OP's cat.

If you all want to read a cool book, check this one out. It's about a cat that was born with no eyes and some of the things he was able to do are amazing:

Homers Odyssey

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully the cat's sight will return but blind cats can do just fine as house cats.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SDVtech:
OP, ever use essential oils in the house? I've read they can have adverse effects on cats.
View Quote

Nope.

Shes doing ok, shes just very timid right now. I imagine it will only get better from here whether her sight returns or not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Nope. 

Shes doing ok, shes just very timid right now. I imagine it will only get better from here whether her sight returns or not.
View Quote

Are they treating her BP?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:

Are they treating her BP?
View Quote

Yes I give her pills twice a day
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Yes I give her pills twice a day
View Quote

Did they give a prognosis about her vision returning as mentioned earlier?

I hope she continues to do well.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:

Did they give a prognosis about her vision returning as mentioned earlier?

I hope she continues to do well.

View Quote

It's a maybe maybe not kind of thing. Her eye pressure was good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I fed a feral where I used to live that this happened to. One day I came home and he was in the driveway, but didn’t run as soon as I got out like usual. I noticed his eyes were all black but had no idea what it was, maybe bleeding into the eyeballs? His food bowl on my porch was empty and when I brought it back out he was on the porch but just moseyed down the stairs instead of running. I watched him as he walked across the driveway and BONK! face-first right into my truck tire. Jethro was blind! I tried catching him with a blanket so I could bring him to the vet (for neutering and shots as well), he was under my porch wedged under the bottom step and absolutely calm as I got into position. My plan was to use the blanket like a net in my right hand and touch him with my left hand so he’d run into the blanket. As soon as I touched him he exploded, ripped the blanket right out of my hand, and was gone. (I’d tried live-trapping him for years but he was too smart for that.) it was a week before I saw him again and his eyes were back to normal. I didn’t see him many times after that, but he was an old cat for a feral - I fed him for at least 3 or 4 years and he was a beat-up adult when I first saw him. He got along well with my cats, too.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That could definitely be a factor. Cats are pretty sensitive to insecticides, especially permethrin based ones.

ETA: I just looked up the combat roach stuff. Cypermethrin is a main ingredient.

I'd mention that to the vet first thing. Hopefully it's just a mild case of poisoning (fwiw, if it were bad, she wouldn't be functional 2 days in but I'd keep a very close eye on her and get vet opinion ASAP.)
View Quote
Yeah probably this is what's going on.  Though I would get the cat some blood work done to test liver and kidney function.  Cats tend to fight through it and then go down hard and fast when their stubborn streak reaches it's limits.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That does seem strange but sometimes cats are odd as fuck. I'd certainly have kitty checked out by the vet tho.

My female cat will sometimes get really excited and wide eyed and begin frantically looking around the room like she is watching things fly through walls and the ceiling. I was concerned that it was some kind of seizure behavior,  it happens randomly a few times a year that I've witnessed ...but the vets say she fine lol.
View Quote
That's "the Zoomies"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cat+zoomies

Their daily hormones set them off in play/fight/display mode.  Only doing it once a month is abnormal. Most do it a couple times a day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Yeah probably this is what's going on.  Though I would get the cat some blood work done to test liver and kidney function.  Cats tend to fight through it and then go down hard and fast when their stubborn streak reaches it's limits.
View Quote

She had bloodwork. Nothing to do with roach spray.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Caturday update.

I dont want to get my hopes up...but I think the medicine is working. She jumped up on her cat tree today with 0 hesitation. Keep those prayers up brothers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#26]
good to hear op
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Are you having to take her to the vet for BP checks? Will they change her med dosage based on that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
You bet man!! What kind of medicine are they giving her for the BP? and I am just curious, How do they test a cat for blood pressure? 

What is normal BP for a cat?

View Quote

Blood pressure is often measured in pets in the same manner as in humans. An inflatable cuff will be placed on the cat's paw or tail, and standard blood pressure measuring instruments will check the pressure. It is important to keep the cat still long enough to get an accurate reading.

And In general, normal BP in cats ranges from 120 to 140 mm Hg systolic and 70 to 90 mm Hg diastolic, with a mean of about 110 mm Hg.

Awesome news about your cat Op hope the improvements keep coming.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
They prescribed her Amlodipine. Her BP when we took her in was 240 or something like that.

She has a followup on monday to make sure its going well. I hope these awesome vets just saved my kitties eyes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Good vibes sent for kitteh.  Glad to hear things seem to be helping
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe you caught it soon enough to prevent full blindness.  Sounds like kitteh is doing better!

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Good to hear she seems to be getting better.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Caturday update.

I dont want to get my hopes up...but I think the medicine is working. She jumped up on her cat tree today with 0 hesitation. Keep those prayers up brothers.
View Quote

That's excellent news, continued prayers!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:

That's excellent news, continued prayers!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#36]
More prayers for Lauren.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Keep those prayers coming brothers.

This morning she jumped up to the bathroom sink for her favorite morning activity. Drinking from the faucet!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Caturday update.

I dont want to get my hopes up...but I think the medicine is working. She jumped up on her cat tree today with 0 hesitation. Keep those prayers up brothers.
View Quote

That is a good sign, how does kitty do walking/sitting on a bannister or 2x4?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:

That is a good sign, how does kitty do walking/sitting on a bannister or 2x4?
View Quote

Good question. I live in an apartment lol
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Keep those prayers coming brothers. 

This morning she jumped up to the bathroom sink for her favorite morning activity. Drinking from the faucet! 
View Quote

Great news!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Prayers for Lauren’s full recovery. I take amlodipine myself, works well with no real side effects for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Glad to hear kitty is doing better.  That would have had me pretty upset.

Cat (who was helped here on Arfcom last year and was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease) sends cat thoughts to Lauren.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Waiting for an email response from out vet. Maybe 2 days ago I noticed our kitty has had her eyes dialated most of the time and they are very reflective. Didnt really think anything of it as she has been acting and eating normally. Today she missed a few jumps to her cat tree and the sink.

Anyone seen this before?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371724/received_1095795247480485_jpeg-1404411.JPG
View Quote
My tom cat had something that looked like that in one eye.  He was old.  Vet told us it was cataracts and too early to do anything about it so we should wait.  We did.  Then we took him back and another vet told us it wasn't a cataract and it was too late to do anything about it.  Poor cat went blind in that eye.  He wasn't in any pain.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DrFrige:

@Godzilla705

Thanks man! I had no idea it was the same as humans. Yeah my cat wont sit still for that. But it is close to human BP
View Quote

No problem and same here my cats would not stand for that .
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Somebody had her followup trip to the vet today and she is PURRFECT.

I'm still baffled how high blood pressure can do that so quickly, but as of this morning she is acting like it never happened. Thank you for the prayers brothers.

She needs to recheck pressure and blood work in a week, as of today they said her pressure was perfect.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Glad you noticed and acted so quickly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Drinking from the faucet! 
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Somebody had her followup trip to the vet today and she is PURRFECT. 

I'm still baffled how high blood pressure can do that so quickly, but as of this morning she is acting like it never happened. Thank you for the prayers brothers. 

She needs to recheck pressure and blood work in a week, as of today they said her pressure was perfect. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371724/20200511_170545_jpg-1411421.JPG
View Quote

Kitties are Teflon, and Lauren is no exception.

Thank God!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Somebody had her followup trip to the vet today and she is PURRFECT. 

I'm still baffled how high blood pressure can do that so quickly, but as of this morning she is acting like it never happened. Thank you for the prayers brothers. 

She needs to recheck pressure and blood work in a week, as of today they said her pressure was perfect. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371724/20200511_170545_jpg-1411421.JPG
View Quote

Awesome man. Good work getting her in to the vet so quick. That definitely helped her prognosis.

Same thing happened with my childhood cat. Dilated pupils and blindness. High BP hyperthyroidism and her retinas detached but we got her in quick enough where the meds turned things around and her vision came back to normal.

Glad the little shit muffin is better.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top