Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/16/2023 11:55:44 AM EDT
Holy Water.

Aside from this guy seeming a bit weird, what are your thoughts on holy water?

It was a part of my life growing up as a Catholic.  As a child I thought it had some sort of magic properties. Now I understand that the water itself is just water but may help the user feel closer to a state of Grace. Not speaking of myself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Tastes the same
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Tastes great, and is less filling.

Probably has something to do with all of the holes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen a vampire in a Catholic church.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It is supposed to work against vampires.

Recommend water balloons or super soaker to maintain some distance.

Edit:  Damn, beat by a minute.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
placebo
pl?-se'bo
noun

~ A substance that has positive effects as a result of a patient's perception that it is beneficial rather than as a result of a causative ingredient.
~An inactive substance or preparation used as a control in an experiment or test to determine the effectiveness of a medicinal drug.
~Something of no intrinsic remedial value that is used to appease or reassure another.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did see a phlebotomist. That was scary too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy water can work.
Some of it is belief and the other is god.

The Russian Orthodox cut a cross in the rivers and lakes here to bless it and get holy water.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you seen a vampire elsewhere?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless it was blessed by Jesus Himself, it's just ordinary H2O.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you know how they make Holy Water?

They boil the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
ALL religion is based on FAITH, why don't you morons understand that simple concept yet??????????
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It's completely made up by the church. Nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The phlebotomist who draws my blood once said she could tell that my blood was sanctified or something similar. Can’t remember exactly the word she used. I didn’t know what to say. So I just said Praise God. She is always upbeat and friendly so I was not offended by her comment.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy water is water that’s been blessed by a priest. I did a youth group summer camp when I was an early teen. On the final day at the end of the service the father had each of us come down and place a personal item on a table to be blessed. Baseball caps scarves etc… I took up my trusty three inch Gerber. That’s right, I had a holy demon killer of a knife. I broke it separating a venison joint two years later
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ALL religion is based on FAITH, why don't you morons understand that simple concept yet??????????
View Quote

Who is this comment directed at and what leads you to believe they don’t understand faith?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most witches don’t Believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t Believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.

GNU Terry Pratchett
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Just signs of faith.  It's like Jews blessing food to make it Kosher or Halal food for Muslims (no pork/lizards).

But since it's Christian (especially Catholic), it's acceptable to publicly ridicule.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a lapsed Catholic, but I'm guessing the response would be that the water is blessed by God (and via the holy Trinity, also Jesus) acting thru the priest as His instrument.

I'm pretty sure that's how confession was supposed to work as well. The priest doesn't forgive you, God forgives you thru the priest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, I don’t have time for a video.  Can you describe briefly how holy water was used in your upbringing or your current life in the church?

I am aware of no Biblical basis for the concept of holy water.  You mentioned it helping people feel closer to a state of grace.  God has promised to give and sustain faith through his Word and sacraments, so I would suggest that those concerned about grace should focus on those things rather than a human contrivance like holy water.

While Baptism is a means of grace that involves water, it’s just ordinary water applied with God’s Word.  There is no rite given in Scripture to make water holy before using it for baptism, nor is there anything to suggest the water used for baptism can give any spiritual benefit apart from baptism.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
All water (non-polluted, of course!) is holy water.  All water is a gift from God to give us life and keep us healthy.  It's the "source" that makes water holy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm a lapsed Catholic, but I'm guessing the response would be that the water is blessed by God (and via the holy Trinity, also Jesus) acting thru the priest as His instrument.

I'm pretty sure that's how confession was supposed to work as well. The priest doesn't forgive you, God forgives you thru the priest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with all of that is that Jesus is the high priest, the fullfilment of the old law into the New Coveneant. None cometh to the Father but through Him. No mortal human mediator needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just signs of faith.  It's like Jews blessing food to make it Kosher or Halal food for Muslims (no pork/lizards).

But since it's Christian (especially Catholic), it's acceptable to publicly ridicule.
View Quote

Signs of faith in what?  Receiving Baptism or the Lord’s supper shows faith in God because God has attached promises to those things.  What promise has God made in connection with any application of water outside of Baptism that would make such use of water an act of faith in God?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The problem with all of that is that Jesus is the high priest, the fullfilment of the old law into the New Coveneant. None cometh to the Father but through Him. No mortal human mediator needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not the Catholic faith. Catholic faith is in the Holy Trinity, in which the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one.

But doesn't really matter in my eyes, as long as you're a good person. It's all just semantics and word play.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Dunno but I made this meme.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Holy Water.

Aside from this guy seeming a bit weird, what are your thoughts on holy water?

It was a part of my life growing up as a Catholic.  As a child I thought it had some sort of magic properties. Now I understand that the water itself is just water but may help the user feel closer to a state of Grace. Not speaking of myself.
View Quote

...until it has been blessed.

Like a church is just a building until it has been consecrated.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All water (non-polluted, of course!) is holy water.  All water is a gift from God to give us life and keep us healthy.  It's the "source" that makes water holy.
View Quote

My kabbalah teachers say that water is the thing closest to God's light which is the source of all things and all fulfilment we experience.  We're literally made to receive God's light, and to be like the light itself and be like God (sharing, proactive rather than reactive, etc).

You can also remove "negative energy" so to speak by completely immersing yourself in water in a Mikveh or natural body of water.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Signs of faith in what?  Receiving Baptism or the Lord’s supper shows faith in God because God has attached promises to those things.  What promise has God made in connection with any application of water outside of Baptism that would make such use of water an act of faith in God?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a reminder of one's Catholic baptism.  It's something Catholics do.

Just like Baptists and their hillbilly hoedowns after night service.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus laid hands on Peter as the rock of his Church, Peter laid hands on the priests, etc., every priest from Peter to today has had that passed down through the millenia.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never see Catholics mocking Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians or Born again Christians...however I can't say the same for the reverse.

And somehow this board will give you a warning for mocking an entire religious group with the sole exception of Catholics
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I never see Catholics mocking Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians or Born again Christians...however I can't say the same for the reverse.

And somehow this board will give you a warning for mocking an entire religious group with the sole exception of Catholics
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was raised in both so I poke fun depending on the person I'm speaking with.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not me Karen, I'm an equal opportunity ridiculer ...but do continue staking your claim to victim-hood, I hear it's good for your soul
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not me Karen, I'm an equal opportunity ridiculer ...but do continue staking your claim to victim-hood, I hear it's good for your soul
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm good.  You get used to brushing that shit off early.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been to New Orleans.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Even fake Holy Water burns

The Exorcist 1973 | Holy Water Scene
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Tastes divine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#38]
As a very staunch and practicing Catholic, I could only watch about three minutes of this video.  I believe in blessed holy water, I kept in my house.  I also have a bottle of water from the Jordan River in the holy land and I keep adding holy water to that bottle when it gets half way down.

I put a dab on myself weekly and on my dogs, also sprinkle on my house when we leave for a hurricane.  It is only as good as your faith in God, it is not magical nor can repel any demons, IMO.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#39]
"catholic holy water" is a misnomer..

APTTMH

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Religion and holy water are as much farces as UFOs, ghosts, vampires, and leprechauns.  People will believe anything if you scare them enough.
Fight me!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I found it to cause a burning sensation
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Religion is as much a farce as UFOs, ghosts, vampires, and leprechauns.  People will believe anything if you scare them enough.
Fight me!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Washington D.C.   the place is full of them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP responded to this in a serious way?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I only get Peter Popoff's Miracle Water. I said the prayer, drank the water, and 2 days later got a letter in the mail saying my 750k debt has been erased!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

In before Catholics aren’t Christian
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#48]
For all you "non believers" try this

Immerse a Ouija board in holy water

Sure enough, in a month or so, that evil Ouija board will be all rotten and dissolved

What more proof do you need?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Being Christian it means nothing to me but I can understand the use of it to comfort those who believe in it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#50]
There are times in other denominations where a very sick person is anointed with oil as in the Bible. I'm not sure what they think is going to happen as it seems more like a blessing. It can't be holy becuse nothing on this earth can be holy except Jesus. That is why we don't say Father or reverend. ymm
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top