Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 9/24/2023 9:46:39 PM EDT
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the denomination is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
She goes to one and you go to other. Meet for lunch afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not. I know a couple who goes to different churches. One of liturgical and one is not. One kid goes with the dad and one kid goes with the mom. It works for them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So Catholic church isn’t christian. You’ve been in GD too long.
PROTESTANT
your wife is a PROTESTANT
Eta
The Catholic and Orthodox churches have apostolic succesion
Your wife’s (and any protestant church does not)
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that speaking in tongues stuff would make me look elsewhere as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She goes to one and you go to other a strip club. Meet for lunch afterwards.
View Quote

Win/win.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, that speaking in tongues stuff would make me look elsewhere as well.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not into church. But I can say without a doubt that's a hard no for me. If I decided to go to church. I'd probably just go to a Lutheran church. It's what my family is anyway.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
We solved a similar issue by not going and saying our kids can decide when they're older.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Would she be receptive to going church shopping with you?  Go to a new one each week for a while and see if you can find one you both like?

We both grew up Catholic but ended up finding a Presbyterian church we both love.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Another classic of talking about the important things before marriage.
1. Sex
2. Money
3. Kids
4. Religion

If you don’t talk about these 4 things before getting married, you are not ready to be married.

How do you solve your particular problem right now?
Have an honest conversation about each other’s beliefs.
Talk about what you each like about a service.
Talk about what a church is and isn’t.
Some churches are inward looking.
Others are outward looking.

When you have had these conversations in your situation it might be a single church, it might be separate churches.
In the course of the conversation it should include a discussion about kids and how they would be raised.

Have the conversation before ‘church shopping’.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PROTESTANT
Eta
View Quote

This. Your wife is Protestant. Any church that is just generic “Christian” in the congregation’s name is Protestant.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the demonation is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.

View Quote

Freudian slip.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Tough situation OP.  I knew a family growing up where the husband was Catholic and the wife Lutheran.  They attended their own separate churches.  The kids were Lutheran.

I am Lutheran.  My wife was raised Southern Baptist.  When we started talking marriage a condition of moving forward was that she could accept my headship to the extent of attending a Lutheran church with me and raising kids as Lutherans.  She is now a confirmed Lutheran.

If you actually pay attention, the differences between denominations are much deeper than style.  There are fundamental theological differences.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Freudian slip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the demonation is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.

Freudian slip.

That's funny. Thanks I fixed it. I used to be one of the greatest spellers in school. I could spell words that I couldn't even pronounce. But as I get older and the longer i've been out of school, my spelling gets worse and worse. I feel bad now for making fun of my dad when I was a teenager and he was in his 50's and I made fun of him for mispelling very basic words.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The Catholic  Church is the only church ever authorized by Christ and is meant to be the only church.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So Catholic church isn't christian. You've been in GD too long.
PROTESTANT
Eta
Your wife's (and any protestant church does not)
View Quote
Catholic is Christian...
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the denomination is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.
View Quote

There is a lot to unpack there between you and your wife's differences.   Speaking in tongues was speaking in real foreign intelligible languages that the people receiving the message knew and understood, not mumbling jibberish.

And to all the Catholics saying theirs is the only true church, have fun when Pope Francis (who has Papal Infallibility) contradicts the Bible.  Good luck squaring that circle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Know the joke about making a mess in the kitchen so bad you're never asked to wash the dishes again?

Bring some snakes to your wife's church and start slipping them into your pants before cartwheeling up and down the aisle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Praise Allah!

I dunno the answer OP.  People find the church that meets their needs.  I attend a non-denominational one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
We need to end this infighting amongst the Christian Faiths.  We are nearing the end of Western Civilization. Religion is declining at a rapid rate.

This is supposed to be funny, but at the rate we are going it may be true

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Catholic is Christian...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Catholic church isn't christian. You've been in GD too long.
PROTESTANT
Eta
Your wife's (and any protestant church does not)
Catholic is Christian...

I don’t think OP’s catechism—if he even had one—was great
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Catholic  Church is the only church ever authorized by Christ and is meant to be the only church.
View Quote

Actually Christ was a Jew
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
It's all the same stuff with different name plates.  My wife grew up baptist and I was Roman Catholic.  We both recognized each other's needs and did a lot of church shopping before settling on the Methodists. Not that either of us buy specifically into the Methodist game but it's a nice in- between and we each really like the pastor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Go with God. Best of luck dude. If you need  a Catholic family I'll give you mine. They are nuts but has nothing to do with cathalism
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#25]
The husband is the head of the household the same way Jesus is the head of the church.
Your wife goes to the church you tell her to go to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And wouldn’t recognize rabbinic judaism
Second Temple was his time

Hugely altered
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Was raised Catholic, wife was raised Lutheran. We both had things we didn't like about our own respective denominations so we started checking out other churches. We found a non-denominational church we both liked with an awesome program for kids...

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]
you could switch back and forth.  one sunday at your church.  one sunday at hers.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We need to end this infighting amongst the Christian Faiths.  
View Quote

So much this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PROTESTANT
Eta
View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Praise Allah!

I dunno the answer OP.  People find the church that meets their needs.  I attend a non-denominational one.
View Quote

I go to a plain ol’ Bible based Christian church. I’ve never found any sense getting into the weeds of denominational nonsense.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. When it comes down to it, that’s all that really matters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife was raised Catholic, I was raised Christian. We found the middle ground of Lutheran.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
“And to all the Catholics saying theirs is the only true church, have fun when Pope Francis (who has Papal Infallibility) contradicts the Bible.  Good luck squaring that circle.”

A pope only uses Papal infallibility very rarely and some have gone years without using it, so it every thing spoken is not infallible
And about pope Francis I don’t trust or respect the communist at all
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
If the focus is Not on God and Christ then you are in the wrong church.
We go to a non-demonatial church that teaches the Bible verse by verse.

If you study the Bible you will understand that many big denominations tend
to NOT teach the entire bible and many put Traditions over the word of God.

Some even go as far as to say that their Leader's word supersedes God's word and
that Their leaders have the authority to forgive sin (Only God can forgive your sin).
Some teach to pray to Christ's earthly mother (Mary) in direct violation of scripture.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Catholic light wasn't bad, the few times I went to a Lutheran church.
View Quote
I've never been. Both sets of parents were raised. But they didn't raise us in church. My sister and brother in law go. I work a second job on Sunday mornings but one day I may take off and go with them to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Apostolic. I don’t think that word means what you think it means.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Upon this rock I will build my church," was not a reference to Peter being the first Pope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Wasn’t a lot of references in the New Testament about requiring the priest to interpret the scriptures. In fact, I believe priesthood of the believer was actually encouraged.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Apostolic. I don’t think that word means what you think it means.
View Quote

Yeah

He means to say “evangelical” or “pentecostal” or whatever his wife is going to.
Not apostolic for sure
Doubt those churches even dare call themselves apostolic
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#40]
My opinion probably won't be well received, but I don't think church should be fun. You go to church to serve the lord and that is usually not comfortable for me.
I believe if God blessed you with a child it's your responsibility to get them to church. What they do with it once there adults is up to them. You and your wife need to be united on the church deal for your kid.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess I'll start with the obvious. Have you tried having her go to a catholic church? You did say

I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the denomination is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible.
View Quote
So I assume you aren't going to be a hardliner about it, in relation to your wife. Obviously as a catholic, I do try to adhere to the faith, but just getting her in the door is the first step. While I do genuinely understand the criticisms of it, the experience in and of itself isn't bad, and I think even most detractors wouldn't attend a mass and come away with "Wow that was horrible!" If you try to show her what you see in it, and why you enjoy it, she might be receptive to that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"Upon this rock I will build my church," was not a reference to Peter being the first Pope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like somthing a gentile would say
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes. Wasn’t a lot of references in the New Testament about requiring the priest to interpret the scriptures. In fact, I believe priesthood of the believer was actually encouraged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was the King of the Jews...yahweh reigns!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My opinion probably won't be well received, but I don't think church should be fun. You go to church to serve the lord and that is usually not comfortable for me.
I believe if God blessed you with a child it's your responsibility to get them to church. What they do with it once there adults is up to them. You and your wife need to be united on the church deal for your kid.
View Quote

Correct

The current stupidity of finding a church where I am comfortable etc isn’t historic or biblical

I stood for 2 hours in church today.
No comfort
The old folks get hard wooden chairs.  We are there to do our duty as christians
Not relax
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife was raised Catholic, I was raised Christian. We found the middle ground of Lutheran.
View Quote

This is so ignorant on so many levels.

1) Catholics are Christians
2) Christians (in the way you mean it) are Protestants in name
3) Lutherans are not a "middle ground", but rather a legitimate Protestant (the 1st) denomination.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird how it took 1600 years to officially add the books they needed to separate their faith and elevate false teachings

Yes, I know about one book discussed in the 300s and another in the late 500s. We still see a false elevation of Mary and statues of Mary in places of worship.

Having seen how the Pope has continued to defy proper teachings with statements in direct contradiction to scripture, it is tough to have a leader that does not lead the church like it should be led.

And this is from a former Catholic Jew that found the light
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Catholocism > christianity..
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#49]
If it helps, tell her Jesus said Peter would be the rock, i.e., the catholic church.   We just have Protestantism because kings were greedy and didn't know it was their fault when they couldn't produce a male heir.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Weird how it took 1600 years to officially add the books they needed to separate their faith and elevate false teachings

Yes, I know about one book discussed in the 300s and another in the late 500s. We still see a false elevation of Mary and statues of Mary in places of worship.

Having seen how the Pope has continued to defy proper teachings with statements in direct contradiction to scripture, it is tough to have a leader that does not lead the church like it should be led.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you joined the Orthodox Church?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top