Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Religious beliefs are probably one of the most important things to agree about before you get married.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vatican II was terrible...latin is dey wey
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah

He means to say "evangelical" or "pentecostal" or whatever his wife is going to.
Not apostolic for sure
Doubt those churches even dare call themselves apostolic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apostolic. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Yeah

He means to say "evangelical" or "pentecostal" or whatever his wife is going to.
Not apostolic for sure
Doubt those churches even dare call themselves apostolic

A lot do, it's a touchy terms.

LDS even claims it
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Catholic  Church is the only church ever authorized by Christ and is meant to be the only church.
View Quote

So did Christ authorize indulgences? What about the church making it a death sentence to read the holy scripture. Yeah... Nah I dont think thats what he had in mind. You mean the "holy catholic" church. "Roman Catholic" is quite different.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Being Catholic does Not make someone a Christian
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So Catholic church isn’t christian.
your wife is a PROTESTANT
View Quote

Protestants got their name because they were protesting the extra-Biblical and un-Biblical beliefs of the roman church. Things that are absolutely not in the Bible or are actually contradicted by the Bible, things like infant baptism, popes, prayers to saints, the adoration of mary, etc. Basically the roman church has taken God out of the church, and satan himself would be satisfied with the changes.

Go to a church that is backed by the Bible, a church that worships God in Spirit and in Truth and not sacred cows, a church where relationship and heartfelt prayers are encouraged. Traditions and ceremonies and going-through-the-motions are one of the things that Christ came to save us from.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you know that Catholics are Christians? They believe in Christ. Strange I know. Maybe that's why they have those crucifixes adorning their churches?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#8]
religion   Attachment Attached File

Mother Nature Is everything
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you know that Catholics are Christians? They believe in Christ. Strange I know. Maybe that's why they have those crucifixes adorning their churches?
View Quote

Lucifer and the demons Believe in Christ
and even held conversations with Christ

Are they also Christians?

What Makes a Person a Christian?

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Talk to a priest or some other families.

This is tough but I hope someone can help with a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#11]
You're unlikely to find any sort of consensus answer here.  Because within Christianity, there is no unified belief.  Different bodies have differing ideas of how they determine what is "authority" in their church and this leads to broadly different (or quite similar) beliefs/experiences.  Simplified, "authority" is the foundation for what they believe, then what they do.  It's the "why" that they are/do.  Good people can and do come to different conclusions.

Try to find a place where you can work on what's right for you/your family and not just going over what's wrong "with you" or where you are coming from. I'd suggest looking to the local Episcopal and/or Lutheran parishes at first.  They might even have a bit of a charismatic bent or at least know the local charismatic community.  The Episcopal parishes I'm familiar with have a lot of (ex/lapsed/unhappy) Roman Catholics or "mixed" families, etc., so a good place to start.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, perusing through this thread tells me one thing...this thread flat out isn't going to help. Way too much confusion and this church , that church stuff. I can't help you here, I would gladly be willing to help, maybe by pm. My one piece of advice to you is you and your wife get very very serious about reading, understanding, and applying your bible. Ultimately, God has the answers you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife recommends that you try attending an assembly of God church as a middle ground.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, perusing through this thread tells me one thing...this thread flat out isn't going to help. Way too much confusion and this church , that church stuff. I can't help you here, I would gladly be willing to help, maybe by pm. My one piece of advice to you is you and your wife get very very serious about reading, understanding, and applying your bible. Ultimately, God has the answers you are looking for.
View Quote

The problem is the OP claims to be Catholic, but there are a lot of non-Catholics giving a lot of anti-Catholic advice.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Op speaking in tongues would probably sketch me out too because i'ld be wondering about the genuineness of the participants. Speaking in tongues literally means speaking different languages, not random babbling. Anyway the catholic church is all the way to the other spectrum and might bother her. I have been to many moving catholic services, but its not where i would want to be full time personaly. I would suggest discussing with her what you like and dont like about the current church and then see if shes willing to look at other churches with you. Maybe you can find a church somewhere in the middle. There are wildly varying churches even within most denominations. A few visits around the local area might be worth it. Its not worth starting a fight tho and i think its probably a bad idea to try and go to two seperate churches. I'll also note that no denomination or church is perfect. Only Christ is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So did Christ authorize indulgences? What about the church making it a death sentence to read the holy scripture. Yeah... Nah I dont think thats what he had in mind. You mean the "holy catholic" church. "Roman Catholic" is quite different.
View Quote

Where and when did this death sentence occur?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The problem is the OP claims to be Catholic, but there are a lot of non-Catholics giving a lot of anti-Catholic advice.
View Quote
I don't think, from what the OP has described, that he knows exactly what he is. I'm not going to get into Catholic this, that or the other thing, but I am a Protestant, and I know what I'm protesting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Again, this thread will not help the OP with the problem, just my opinion. Confusion, confusion, and more confusion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Again, this thread will not help the OP with the problem, just my opinion. Confusion, confusion, and more confusion.
View Quote
There's been some good advice, but as is usually the case on here, prots can't help themselves from attacking Catholicism. I still say his best bet is to just get her in the door. If she doesn't like it after that, then they can talk about it, but it sounds like he hasn't really tried that yet, considering she's the one that initially got him back into going to her church.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's been some good advice, but as is usually the case on here, prots can't help themselves from attacking Catholicism. I still say his best bet is to just get her in the door. If she doesn't like it after that, then they can talk about it, but it sounds like he hasn't really tried that yet, considering she's the one that initially got him back into going to her church.

View Quote
I think I've seen one reasonably good piece of advice here. Just my opinion. I'm not taking your side and I'm taking their side. But it really doesn't matter...I'm nobody.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I've seen one reasonably good piece of advice here. Just my opinion. I'm not taking your side and I'm taking their side. But it really doesn't matter...I'm nobody.
View Quote
I don't think I've fought with them at all. Usually I don't, but it hasn't taken me very long to notice that this threads always invite unsolicited hostility from protestants, and I really don't understand why their guns are always loaded to yell at catholics on the internet. They certainly aren't like that in real life, at least none that I have known,  which confounds me even more.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't think I've fought with them at all. Usually I don't, but it hasn't taken me very long to notice that this threads always invite unsolicited hostility from protestants, and I really don't understand why their guns are always loaded to yell at catholics on the internet. They certainly aren't like that in real life, at least none that I have known,  which confounds me even more.
View Quote
Maybe you should read something like the RCC documents concerning the Council of Trent. That might help you understand the issues involved.

This thread in my opinion, again, will only bring confusion and more confusion.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, that speaking in tongues stuff would make me look elsewhere as well.
View Quote

My step son is involved with a gal whose family is Apostolic. Weird because she and her older siblings no longer attend services there, even though her dad is some kind of high priest or some shit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I understand., I just don't understand the division.  Christians agaithe jehovas... fine.  It's gonna be that way. But I've never had experience mostly Baptist.  I'm Southern,  not my clan and not my monkies.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ended up there once after spending the night at a cousin's house. That shit was bizarre. Thank God there was a tornado warning and we all had to leave.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:28:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Back in my dating years I had at least one relationship not go anywhere because she was Catholic and I was LCMS. It can be a tough, and significant, difference to resolve.

I don't have any answers, but I wish you well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#27]
seems the Catholics still want to light the streets with the bodies of protestants on stakes, burning like candles in the wind..

There is no middle ground between Catholicism and a church that has members speaking in tongues and pastors stamping their feet and jumping up and down..
Careful of the churches who do NOT hold the BIBLE as written
Careful of churches that have Woman as Ministers/Priests
Careful of churches who say the only way to Heaven is through THEM..
careful of churches that put anything between YOU and GOD, be it man, tithes, or attendance requirements.

OP Pray on your quandary, ask your wife to do the same..and as a man of GOD, you are the head of the household, as such you want peace.
See what God tells you, where is your peace, if it is you got to mass and she goes to the holy rollers for 90 min a week..
meet for lunch after and enjoy YOUR Peace and peace of mind.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#28]
YA'LL NEED TO READ THE BOOK..

ROMANS 14
1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.
2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.
4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.
6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone.
8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister ? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.
11 It is written: “ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’ ”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.

ROMANS 12
16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

2 CORINTHIANS 5
18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
YA'LL NEED TO READ THE BOOK..

ROMANS 14
1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.
2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.
4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.
6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone.
8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister ? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.
11 It is written: “ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’ ”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.

ROMANS 12
16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

2 CORINTHIANS 5
18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
View Quote
I bet we could find answers in the Quran. That’s a book, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#30]
The problem with Catholicism (I was raised Catholic btw) is it does NOT represent the teachings of Christ.   At one time in history it may have but it has gone so far off the rails its shocking.  
#1- You shall make no graven images, yet the church has statues of "saints, angels and the Holy Mother"
#2- Christ said you only have ONE father in Heaven, yet priests demand to be called Father
#3- You shall worship no GOD but your Father in Heaven yet Catholicism has people praying to Mary, Michael the Archangel, the Pope, etc.
#4- Christ said you should not use long repetitive prayers...this one is self explanatory if you have ever been to a mass.

These are just off the top of my head.   The more I really studied the Bible, the further I got from Catholicism
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the denomination is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.
View Quote

You know you’re the head of your household, right?  Physical and spiritual head of your household.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't even get used to my new Catholic church playing the music with guitars and tamborines when I went to a new city for college.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Non denominational ftw?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So Catholic church isn't christian. You've been in GD too long.
PROTESTANT
your wife is a PROTESTANT
Eta
The Catholic and Orthodox churches have apostolic succesion
Your wife's (and any protestant church does not)
View Quote
This always amazes me.   I mean my early education required me to study religions of the world academically, so I get that I might have a different perspective but it's a consistent theme where certain sects of Christianity don't see others sects of Christianity as Christian...its weird.

Catholics were the first Christians. If any church should wear the moniker of "christian" it's the catholic church.

Then again I used to work in the area of NY that invented Mormons so weird is relative I guess.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#36]
If any church does not teach and preach the New Birth - then get out and find one that does.
Jesus said "Ye must be BORN AGAIN"

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Upon this rock I will build my church," was not a reference to Peter being the first Pope.
View Quote

this is correct, when Jesus asked Peter , "who do you say I am?
Peter replied, thou art the Christ , the son of the living God - Jesus replied, blessed art thou Simon barjonah, for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And upon this rock, I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"

the rock Jesus mentioned wasn't Peter -  it was Peter's response to the question, it was Peter's confession that Jesus is the Christ!  That's what Jesus built his Church on , not Peter!!
Catholics get this so screwed up.

Forget about Mary and the saints and the rituals made by man, embrace Jesus , He is everything , He plus nothing, He plus nothing ,  Amen
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you actually pay attention, the differences between denominations are much deeper than style.  There are fundamental theological differences.
View Quote

This. While there is a lot of overlap between the two, there are critical differences in what they believe about salvation, what constitutes idolatry, the authority of Scripture vs. traditions, the authority of the Pope, etc. These distinctions are sufficiently significant as to be worth your trouble to learn about and go far beyond general vibe or atmosphere of services.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Catholics are Christian. Hint - so is any religion who believes in Christ.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Catholics are Christian. Hint - so is any religion who believes in Christ.
View Quote

Any Church that affirms the deity of Christ and the Triune God. Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses do not fall in this category because although they use similar language to Christians, they believe in a god whose nature is fundamentally different (with accompanying theological implications).
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Religious beliefs are probably one of the most important things to agree about before you get married.
View Quote

It sounds like you and your wife are, "unequally yoked."

Read up and examine what this actually means.

As the man of the family you are supposed to be the spiritual leader of your household as well.

Beyond that, I have nothing more to offer except my personal opinion on the matter.

May God bless you and your whole family!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm not religious but if I were I'd go to one where the idiots juggle the poisonous snakes.

There could be some real entertainment value there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Talked my baptist wife into going to RCIA just for educational purposes and started listening to our local Catholic radio station and she said everything she’d been told about Catholics was much different than the reality.  She’s a definitely a convert now and really embraced our parish.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And wouldn’t recognize rabbinic judaism
Second Temple was his time

Hugely altered
View Quote

Today's Jews are the direct descendants of the Pharisees, whom Jesus railed against.  I think he'd recognize them just fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What church do you come from that teaches you to judge others and their faith as much as you have in this thread?
View Quote
Don't confuse judgment with discernment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Talked my baptist wife into going to RCIA just for educational purposes and started listening to our local Catholic radio station and she said everything she’d been told about Catholics was much different than the reality.  She’s a definitely a convert now and really embraced our parish.
View Quote

Praise Jesus!  Congratulations, brother.

It's comforting to me that all of the Catholic animosity and misinformation in this thread comes from a place of ignorance.  I pray that one day they can let go of the deceit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Christians worship Christ, alone, as part of the Trinity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When I married my wife, she was very Christian. I, on the other hand was born Catholic, baptized at birth, went to Catholic school, but as I became an adult I didn't really go to church much at all. She got me to start going to church again with her, but I really don't like the style of the church that she goes to. But I go every week with her and our daughter. I am of the belief that as long as you love and believe in Jesus Christ, it doesn't matter what the denomination is, whether it be Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Apostolic, etc I don't think any of them are wrong and they follow the same bible. It just depends on what style you like your church to be. She likes the Apostolic church with the preacher. It's very loud, a lot of yelling, speaking in tongues etc. I just don't like that. I like a calmer and more traditional church experience like the Catholic church offers. In fact, my wife was out of town today visiting family out of state and she told me to go to church. I did. But I went to Catholic church for the first time today in probably a decade. And I really enjoyed it. Is there any way you think we could solve this? I don't think her mind is going to change and mine isn't going to either. And no, we aren't going to get divorced over it. But it's kind of a weird situation.
View Quote

I am with you on the screaming preachers, I also grew up Catholic but haven't been to a church in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#49]
The acid test for any denomination or churchgoer,

simply ask any of them this question:  I have 60 seconds left to live- TELL ME, what must I do to go to heaven?  , I have 57 seconds left now.

Their answer tells you if they know Jesus - or do they know religion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Episcopal parishes I'm familiar with have a lot of (ex/lapsed/unhappy) Roman Catholics or "mixed" families, etc., so a good place to start.
View Quote
The Episcopal church? Isn't this where they embrace the alphabet community and even ordain them as church leaders?  I wouldn't think that's a good place to start.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top