Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2010 3:10:38 PM EDT
From: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2009/11/11/celebrity-veterans#slide=1?test=faces

I had no idea Alan Alda served.  Some fine actors served and since passed away.

Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley completed basic training at Fort Hood in 1958, and was posted with the 3rd Armored Division to Friedberg, Germany where he served until March 2, 1960.

Hugh Hefner
Before dreaming up his Playboy empire, Hugh Hefner was an infantry clerk in the Army from 1944 to 1946.

Audie Murphy
Audie Murphy became a successful actor after his tour of duty, and what a tour it was. One of the most highly decorated soldiers in World War II, Murphy received the Medal of Honor and 32 more citations from the U.S. and our allies. He was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetary.

Dennis Franz
"NYPD Blue" star Dennis Franz (here with co-star Ricky Schroeder) fought in the Vietnam War with the Army's 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions.

Fred Durst
"Limp Bizkit" singer Fred Durst joined the Navy after high school, serving until he was 20 years old, at which point he was discharged and became a tattoo artist

Jimmy Stewart
Already one of the most respected actors in Hollywood, Jimmy Stewart enlisted and was a pilot in World War II, starting as a flight instructor until he became the commander of  the 445th Bombardment Group. Stewart was the command pilot in the lead B-24 on numerous missions over Nazi-occupied Europe. He twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat. Before the war ended, he was promoted to colonel.

Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson
Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson played soldiers in "The Dirty Dozen," and were also soldiers in real life as well. Marvin was a sniper in the Marines, and Bronson was a gunner in the Air Force during World War II.

Jesse Ventura
Pro wrestler and Minnesota governor JesseVentura saw combat action in Vietnam as a Navy SEAL

Clint Eastwood
Clint Eastwood (far right) was drafted into the Army in 1950 and became a swimming and life-saving instructor at Fort Ord.

Charlton Heston
Charlton Heston was with the Army Air Corps during World War II.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesse Ventura was NOT a SEAL.  He was in the UDT's.  After his discharge from the Navy, the UDT and SEAL community merged.  I know a few SEAL's as well as one or two very high profile, well known SEAL's, they don't consider Jesse a SEAL.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Charles Durning.

ARH

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Jimmy Stewart actually rose to the rank of Brigadier General in the Air Force Reserve.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
One of those is not like the others.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Rocky Bleier, Roger Staubach, MC Hammer, David Robinson......just off the top of my head

eta: Craig Morgan, Josh Gracin
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
eli wallach
don adams
clark gable
steve mcqueen
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Axl Rose - Army

Bill Cosby - Navy

Bob Keeshan - USMC

George Steinbrenner

Alan Alda

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Arnold Schwarzenegger, conscript service as a tanker on a M47 in Austria.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Rod Serling

After graduating from high school in 1942, Rod Serling joined the Army where he completed paratrooper training. He saw combat in New Guinea and the Philippines as a member of the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 11th Airborne Division. He received the Purple Heart for a severe shrapnel wound to his knee and left the service in 1946.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I read Chuck Norris was in the Army.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Axl Rose - Army

Bill Cosby - Navy

Bob Keeshan - USMC

George Steinbrenner

Alan Alda

You sure about that one?  Has there ever been a definitive answer?  There's lots of rumors surrounding it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Air Force.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Air Force.

ETA: 25 sec.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air Force.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Harvey Keitel saw action while serving as a Marine in Lebanon 1.0.

Already mentioned, but Dennis Franz was actually a LRRP/Ranger, believe it or not.

Also worth mentiong that BG Jimmy Stewart flew one mission on a B-52 in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axl Rose - Army

Bill Cosby - Navy

Bob Keeshan - USMC

George Steinbrenner

Alan Alda

You sure about that one?  Has there ever been a definitive answer?  There's lots of rumors surrounding it.

Yes I am positive.  Stationed at Ft. Hood, TX.  One of the local tattoo parlors had (at least they used to have) pics of him coming back to get more ink after he made it big.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

His little brother, Wieland, was an 11B in the 101st in Vietnam. He was KIA near Firebase Ripcord in 1970.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axl Rose - Army

Bill Cosby - Navy

Bob Keeshan - USMC

George Steinbrenner

Alan Alda

Yes I am positive.  Stationed at Ft. Hood, TX.  One of the local tattoo parlors had (at least they used to have) pics of him coming back to get more ink after he made it big.

Hm, interesting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air Force.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]
James Earle Jones was a Ranger I think.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axl Rose - Army

Bill Cosby - Navy

Bob Keeshan - USMC

George Steinbrenner

Alan Alda

Hm, interesting.

I have always understood him to be in 1st Cav, but he could have been in 2AD.  Wiki has him listed as a Tanker in 2/32, 3rd Armored Division as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Gene Hackman U.S.M.C

George Peppard U.S.M.C

Mike Farrell U.S.M.C

Don Adams  U.S.M.C

Drew Carey U.S.M.C

George C Scott U.S.M.C

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Jimi Hendrix was in the Army.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rod Serling

After graduating from high school in 1942, Rod Serling joined the Army where he completed paratrooper training. He saw combat in New Guinea and the Philippines as a member of the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 11th Airborne Division. He received the Purple Heart for a severe shrapnel wound to his knee and left the service in 1946.

Poor dude watched one of his friends get crushed to death when a parachuting supply crate hit him.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#25]
MOTHERFUCK, REMOVE THAT WANNA-BE ASS-FUCKED SHIT-STAINED ASS-WIPE FRED DURST FROM YOUR LIST.

The fucker "quit" boot camp.

Quotes:
"Being in the navy was like being in prison. I made the biggest mistake of my life."
"Sometimes I just wish I was born a woman, that way it would be okay to feel about men the way I do now!"

You disgrace those fine Americans by including that asshole.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MOTHERFUCK, REMOVE THAT WANNA-BE ASS-FUCKED SHIT-STAINED ASS-WIPE FRED DURST FROM YOUR LIST.

The fucker "quit" boot camp.

Quotes:
"Being in the navy was like being in prison. I made the biggest mistake of my life."
"Sometimes I just wish I was born a woman, that way it would be okay to feel about men the way I do now!"

You disgrace those fine Americans by including that asshole.  

yes, fuck he.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Jimmy Stewart actually rose to the rank of Brigadier General in the Air Force Reserve.

And made sure that in his war movies, things were as realistic as possible...I hope SAC is on this weekend...

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#28]
James Doohan.  He was an officer in the Canadian Army and a D-Day Veteran.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Axl Rose never served a day in the military.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air Force.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Rob Riggle
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Audie Murphy
Audie Murphy became a successful actor after his tour of duty, and what a tour it was. One of The most highly decorated American soldier in World War II, Murphy received the Medal of Honor and 32 more citations from the U.S. and our allies. He was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetary.

Fox needs to do better research.  He was THE most decprated soldier

Every small town in America had a hero in that war, and Farmersville Texas did rather well for itself

"It wasn't that cold that day"
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Harvey Keitel saw action while serving as a Marine in Lebanon 1.0.

Already mentioned, but Dennis Franz was actually a LRRP/Ranger, believe it or not.

Also worth mentiong that BG Jimmy Stewart flew one mission on a B-52 in Vietnam.

He was a Non-Duty observer for that mission.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]
found this looking for the picture of hugh with a garand

Hornman Tito Puente saw combat as an enlisted man with the Navy in the Pacific as did country crooner Marty Robbins. Boxers Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson both enlisted in the Army but their service was limited to stateside war bonds rallies and parades as both were quite famous at the time. Baseball legend Yogi Berra was a gunner in the Navy and saw action on D-Day off the Normandy Coast. In France at the same time was Sgt Ed Koch in the 104th Infantry Division. Painter and sculptor Charles Waterhouse was wounded with the 5th Marine Division on Iwo Jima. Walmart front-man Sam Walton was a Captain in the US Army’s Intelligence Corps, He conducted counter-intelligence in stateside factories looking for Axis spies. Scientology's creator and author L. Ron Hubbard served as a small boat commander and may or may not have attacked a Japanese submarine off the coast of Oregon. Civil rights pioneer Medgar Evers dropped out of high school in 1943 at age 17 to enlist in the Army. And in the rest of the story, Paul Harvey served in the Army Air Force.

Maltese Falcon author Dashiell Hammett, already a veteran of WWI where he contracted tuberculosis, enlisted in the Army and served in the Aleutians. Newspaper columnist Art Buckwald bribed a homeless man with a bottle of whiskey to pose as his father and lie about his age (then 16) so that he could join the Marines in 1942 just months after Pearl Harbor. Author and spy William F Buckley went through officers' candidate school in the Army and found himself on President Roosevelts’ honor guard. Novelist Robert Crichton fought at the Battle of the Bulge. Lenny Bruce learned to make friends and influence people while serving in the Navy in Europe. Detective book writer Michael Collins served in the infantry near Crichton at the same time and came away with a bronze star and purple heart. Norman Mailer saw service in the Philippines. Author Herman Wouk used his wartime experience as a naval officer on a destroyer in the Pacific to weave a series of books with naval officers as figures. A man known later as a gentleman’s man, Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, drew cartoons for the base newspaper while in the Army in 1944. Navy cartoonist Jack Davis went onto become a hallmark of Mad Magazine and the old EC Comics brand while Bill Keane (Family Circus comic strip) drew for Stars and Stripes while in the Army. Theodor “Dr Seuss” Geisel led a unit of cartoonists for the Army Air Corps

Read more at Suite101: Famous Americans in World War Two: They also served in often little known WWII service. http://ww2history.suite101.com/article.cfm/famous_americans_in_world_war_two#ixzz0pMjvreJZ
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Walmart front-man Sam Walton was a Captain in the US Army’s Intelligence Corps, He conducted counter-intelligence in stateside factories looking for Axis spies.

And the truth behind Walmart comes out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Fox should have spent a little more time on that list. Plenty of famous people actually served, they didn't need to pick a guy who never finished basic, 10 seconds on wikipidia will tell you that.

Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived, served in WW2 and Korea. He was John Glenn's wingman in Korea.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Jesse Ventura was NOT a SEAL.  He was in the UDT's.  After his discharge from the Navy, the UDT and SEAL community merged.  I know a few SEAL's as well as one or two very high profile, well known SEAL's, they don't consider Jesse a SEAL.

seal schmeal, he still did combat in Nam.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

101st Airborne.  But wasn't much of a soldier from what I've heard.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

seal schmeal, he still did combat in Nam.

Never said he didn't.  He is the one claiming he is a SEAL when he isn't.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Jonathan Winters U.S.M.C

George Jones U.S.M.C

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Johnny Cash   USAF
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

While in the 8th Air Force during WWII, SSG Walter Matthau served in the same bomb group and under Col Jimmy Stewart.  Matthau was a radio operator/gunner.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Walmart front-man Sam Walton was a Captain in the US Army’s Intelligence Corps, He conducted counter-intelligence in stateside factories looking for Axis spies.

And the truth behind Walmart comes out.

He was a smart lil' fucker...there is a life size bronze statue of him in Hot Springs AR.  He couldn't have been over 5'.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Kris Kristofferson was a helicopter pilot. Army,I think.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

101st Airborne.  But wasn't much of a soldier from what I've heard.  

101st Airborne.

I believe he received a medical discharge for breaking his leg or foot on a jump.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Wasn't Alan Alda a communist?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Kris Kristofferson was a helicopter pilot. Army,I think.

He was.

I read a few years back that he got in a lot of trouble because he liked flying helicopters under bridges on the Rhine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wasn't Alan Alda a communist?

I always thought he was just really in touch with his "feminine" side.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood fame  was a Navy SEAL DeltaSniper in Korea and Nam......................
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top