User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any answer for my question?

I don't see a question from you, sorry.  I do see this:

Well, I'm gonna make a suggestion, rather than all the hoer nonsense people are posting. When I recently ordered some ammo and mags from the website, some of the same items were offered twice, for different prices, but you had to go to the actual page to see where it shipped from. I don't really get why some say ammo is more expensive at warehouse A than Warehouse B. I can understand shipping being different from different points, but not the actual ammo. Also, rather than having the same item listed twice, you could have it listed once and then select the warehouse it ships from. I understand you can select either warehouse on either items page, but if I order say Remington 00 buck from A, then go look at other items, then add more 00 buck, I have to make sure it's all shipping from the same spot on the carr page or I mint accidentally get screwed.

Just sayin, it could be more user friendly.

I posted a big explanation of why prices are different from warehouse to warehouse on page 8.  Look for the post with the big screenshots.

Doesn't explain your "gotcha" web page.  

You have three warehouses, each with signifantly different shipping rates and you make the consumer choose which warehouse?

The excess shipping fee is ridiculous.  I haven't seen a reasonable explanation yet.  I can ship a $1k upper insured for the full amount via USPS for what you charge to ship a $10 USGI web sling.

If you want to make extra coin via outrageous shipping and handling fees...then just say so.  But don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

I hope you enjoy the job.  To be honest, if you can't make the changes outlined in this thread I'd find a new job.  This won't be easy for you.

This is coming from an old customer of yours.  Used to order tons of surplus stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
So, is there a reason why you do not offer USPS shipping options? It seems like with the flat rate boxes, this would be a no-brainer?

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, is there a reason why you do not offer USPS shipping options? It seems like with the flat rate boxes, this would be a no-brainer?

Please re-read the entire thread in detail. He has covered this.

Note: I ordered two Glock mags almost a year ago, did the USPS via FedEx thing, it took FOREVER. I don't like paying bunches of money for shipping, so I selected that option, and it took 3 damned weeks because of FedEx. Fuck FedEx.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note: I ordered two Glock mags almost a year ago, did the USPS via FedEx thing, it took FOREVER. I don't like paying bunches of money for shipping, so I selected that option, and it took 3 damned weeks because of FedEx. Fuck FedEx.

He's carefully tiptoed around everything.  I certainly don't buy the "we are a huge company and have huge overhead so we have huge shipping rates" excuse.  Bigger company should get better rates.  I agree with the person that said they need to fire their shipping contract negotiator and find someone who knows WTF they're doing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's carefully tiptoed around everything.  I certainly don't buy the "we are a huge company and have huge overhead so we have huge shipping rates" excuse.  Bigger company should get better rates.  I agree with the person that said they need to fire their shipping contract negotiator and find someone who knows WTF they're doing.

Drop-shipping is not direct shipping from A to B. Order goes to A from guy at C. MFR B ships to guy at A who then ships to C, or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drop-shipping is not direct shipping from A to B. Order goes to A from guy at C. MFR B ships to guy at A who then ships to C, or something like that.

No sir, that aint right at all.

Customer places order with web retailer.  Web retailer sends the order to a third party, third party ships direct to customer.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You seem...familiar.

a little too familiar........
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Drop shipping is when the third party ships to the buyer, instead of the seller shipping to the buyer. (B ships to C).

Also, only products from Warehouse B & C are drop shipped. Warehouse A is Cheaper than Dirt, which ships directly to the customer.

I suspect that the reason they do not use USPS priority mail is that FEDEX gives them a better deal, which they do not pass on to the customer. Since USPS rates are fixed and published, it would be easy to know you were getting screwed on postage if they shipped via USPS.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a Tapco-vs-CTD pit thread?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Notice how I said "or something like that".

That was to draw y'all out to explain it to me
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#11]
In again before the 11 page lock.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think CTD is wasting time and money here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Drop shipping is when the third party ships to the buyer, instead of the seller shipping to the buyer. (B ships to C).  

Also, only products from Warehouse B & C are drop shipped. Warehouse A is Cheaper than Dirt, which ships directly to the customer.

I suspect that the reason they do not use USPS priority mail is that FEDEX gives them a better deal, which they do not pass on to the customer. Since USPS rates are fixed and published, it would be easy to know you were getting screwed on postage if they shipped via USPS.

But in classic fashion, it turns out as absurd as the arbitrarily inflated list prices of yore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its almost like you should actually stock the product instead of drop shipping.

Personally, I think this is a great idea since its not my money that would be tied up in purchasing and maintaining the inventory (which would also have to be insured each year), and I have no idea what it would cost to build and safely operate a single warehouse holding over a million items for sale, many of which are classified as explosives by the federal government.  Whatever those costs are, we could just pass them down to the customer through price increases and maybe shipping would cost $5 less per order.  Yay!

Ok, that was a bit sarcastic.  But meant in the nicest possible way.  The company has decided that its not cost effective to put everything under one roof and smarter people than me did the math on that issue.  I like the idea of a warehouse that can be seen from outer space though.  We could put CTD on the roof like the Arab sheik guy who made "HAMAD" in the sand, how cool would that be?

So how does CTD feel about wholesaling and drop shipping from "Warehouses" (Distributors like Sports South) that many small FFL's also buy from ?
I understand the whole "Capitalism" argument... and "I get it"... but don't you guys realize your hurting the small mom n pop shops at the same time ?
Not only do we get kicked in the nuts by the low internet wholesale prices from high volume sellers, we are also at a disadvantage because of the added sales tax we are forced to charge on our in-store sales. In PA that puts me at a 6% disadvantage right off the bat, before we even talk about gun prices. Imagine the frustration we feel when a customer brings in a CTD ad showing a gun advertised at less than dealer cost. Now we are competing with the end user for best pricing.

After awhile, an FFL becomes nothing more than a shipping and receiving clerk for online wholesalers... and I can guarantee you, many FFL's will just fold up shop and do something more profitable with less headaches.

If your upper management wants to guarantee it's future, they need to help support the FFL's that allow enable your online firearms sales to happen at all.
I'm already seeing many FFL's refusing internet transfers for exactly this reason... and it's a policy that I'm also considering, as the transfers are sometimes more of a nuisance than they are worth.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But in classic fashion, it turns out as absurd as the arbitrarily inflated list prices of yore.

Yep.  Either CTD has the worst shipping guy IN THE WORLD, or we are all being screwed.

No third option on this one.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]

...and I can guarantee you, many FFL's will just fold up shop and do something more profitable with less headaches...

No they wont, too many people like being FFLs.  And I think you're thinking of CDNN by the way

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok, Restrictions Guy has a response for you.  On part 1:

"The 10/22 muzzle brake is a muzzle brake, and therefore we will not sell/ship them to CA. The reason being that we have been burned before by the CA legal system because of a muzzle brake, and we did not like it too much. Shame on us for not touching the hot stove again, right? Thank you for mentioning this though. I fixed the description."

My understanding is that awhile back a customer got arrested at a range in CA because his SKS had a muzzle device attachment to it that a local cop thought was a flash hider.  The cop confiscated his rifle and took him into custody immediately, on the spot.  When he was charged, he claimed that we had sold it to him as a muzzle brake and therefore it should be legal.  We were drawn into the criminal case when the difference between flash hider/muzzle brake, and our advertising of the product as a brake became an issue of fact at the man’s trial.  A significant amount of the company’s money was involved (how much or in what way I don’t know) and the company made the decision not to sell muzzle attachments to CA at all anymore since they have already cost us money this way and will look to do so again if they can.  I knew none of this an hour ago.

On part 2, Restrictions Guy says:

"The two shotgun mag extensions you mentioned have the same restrictions in our system, so there should be no reason for us to allow one of them to ship and not the other.

Besides, the only restriction that we are aware of in CA for mag extensions is mags over 6 rounds in Monte Soreno.
http://library.municode.com/HTML/16498/level3/SUHITA_TIT4PUSAWE_CH4.14ASWE.html#TOPTITLE

So, if you are trying to have it shipped there, that’s why it won’t ship to you. If you are not trying to have it shipped there, but somewhere else in CA, then there must be something wrong with our system. If that's the case, please let me know and I'll take care of it.

In case you’re wondering why a magazine extension would be restricted anywhere if the law only applies to semiautomatic shotguns and not to pump action shotguns, the extension tubes for 870s will also fit 1100s and 11-87s, so we have to restrict them in those areas."

Looks like someone fixed the mag extension restriction thing. thanks I guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I miss CTD back in the day.  You guys had killer deals on all kinds of odd shit.

The deals dried the fuck up though, even before the election.

Now don't get me wrong, 90% of that catalog was garbage for as long as I can remember and a lot of it was priced crazy, but you'd find great stuff.. Used mixed condition german BDU's, two bucks for pants and five for jackets.  The baddest mofo tent stakes ever invented by man, two bucks a dozen.. Weird, bizaxrre, sometimes broke or useless stuff; but there were absolute gems. Trioxane and esbit stoves,  light stick holders, tents, cots, wool blankets..

It often showed up wore out, outright broke, stinking to the high heavens, and with copious soil samples from who knows where.  You guys were actually great for that in particular.  Almost every box I ever got needed a small shovelful of dirt dumped out.

It was ok though.  Sure the boxes were packed almost with the goal of having them break open in shipment and the orders got fucked up a lot and it was a pain to make stuff right afterwards.  IT WAS OK BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAP!  Ya tossed the dice and won more often than ya lost, so all the third string goofballian shenanigans were just something ya put up with.

And then...

The prices came up.  They matched or exceeded other vendors prices.

Boxes still broke open and left trails of filth wherever they were carried.  Stuff was still wore out and broke and smelled funny.

AND THEN!!!11!!one!!

All the drama so exhaustively detailed on this very website.

So I dunno man... Unless you got a deal on hot blonde swedish military surplus cheerleaders with oral fixations five for a buck...

this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

After awhile, an FFL becomes nothing more than a shipping and receiving clerk for online wholesalers... and I can guarantee you, many FFL's will just fold up shop and do something more profitable with less headaches.

If your upper management wants to guarantee it's future, they need to help support the FFL's that allow enable your online firearms sales to happen at all.
I'm already seeing many FFL's refusing internet transfers for exactly this reason... and it's a policy that I'm also considering, as the transfers are sometimes more of a nuisance than they are worth.

I don't know how it is up where you are, but I know several FFLs who have either a small or no storefront, and they absolutely LOVE online/internet sales. And they say the exact opposite- transfers are their most profitable business. $20-30 for 15 minutes worth of work. The one I use has a small store and he said he can make half his rent in one evening on transfers alone.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Getting close to page 11...

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

BigDozer66

It would be great if CTD got its account locked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

It would be great if CTD got its account locked.

LOL, that would be impressive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#24]
The funniest package I ever had delivered to my house was one from CTD.  It was not well packed.

I came home from work to see a ripped-up cardboard box on my porch in plain view, with about 10 inches of an MG34 barrel shroud sticking out.

I took me about two hours to inventory the parts and determine that nothing was missing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The funniest package I ever had delivered to my house was one from CTD.  It was not well packed.

I came home from work to see a ripped-up cardboard box on my porch in plain view, with about 10 inches of an MG34 barrel shroud sticking out.

I took me about two hours to inventory the parts and determine that nothing was missing.

I had a big order from them back in the day. It came with everything just thrown in the box, no packing list, and no protective barriers in between items. The box was beat up but that is usually FedEx. I see it everyday, FedEx rolls in and we have to see how many things are damaged. FedEx Ground generally for us has good pricing but every once in a while I have to get after the delivery/pickup driver to stop throwing our boxes around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I feel entitled to free shipping and the best deals possible.

Actually that's what some of you sound like.

...but I still feel entitled.

Jeez; you even fail at being a shill.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#27]
So let me summarize the thread:  "Hey Cheaper Than Dirt is back!"...."Nope, Chuck Testa"
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So exactly how much DOES dirt cost these days?

Appearantly, more from Texas than any where else.

I paid $40K for .24 acres when I built my house in DFW 7 years ago.

Yup, it's not cheap.

That's not cheap.  I about 110 acres at 1300 per acre 40 miles McKinney 7 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
How about offering decent prices on IMI M193 and Winchester Q3131.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I am sure the OP is regretting his thread call-out and the official spokeswoman of CTD
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#31]
God damn do I wish fake CTD edits wouldn't get me a ban right about now...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure the OP is regretting his thread call-out and the official spokeswoman of CTD

Nah.  I'm kinda plump for a spokeswoman though, and need a shave to be sure.

Am I still in before the lock at least?  I haven't really checked the thread today, I've been super busy.  Had a great phone interview with the VP of marketing for Windham Weaponry, the guys who used to work for Bushmaster and decided to "put the band back together" after their plant got closed and consolidated with Remington.  I'm really rooting for those guys and I might even buy one of their M4s for myself.  I'm also writing a blog article on how to set up mag coupler clamps for the AK.  So arfcom took a back seat today.

I'm actually pretty happy with the way this thread is going.  I know shipping is a huge issue and some people will never forgive the company for their perceived sins of the past.  I knew all this when I agreed to be official spokeswoman.  I'll be sorry if/when the lock happens.

CTD Edit:  I think Napoleon Dynamite should do an internship with Chuck Testa.  He could have a real career there and maybe one day taxidermy a liger.

So you intentionally posting knowing it would cause a stir in GD?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread is like a train wreck.

Yes, there is retard shipping at CTD. If you dont like it, dont order there . I dont.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not defending CTD here, but you folks bitching about the multiple warehouses and the different prices from them must be new to the whole internet marketplace thing.  For example, Rock Auto has done this for a while now and just about everyone loves Rock Auto.  If you buy 3 items and each one comes from a different warehouse, you're going to get 3 shipping charges.  The same exact item will have different prices depending on which warehouse (otherwise known as a "supplier") it's coming from.

Even Arf's beloved Amazon has a lot of different suppliers and companies whose product they list and the shipping cost for the exact same item can differ significantly depending on who it's coming from.  And a Prime membership won't save you because it doesn't apply to every seller you see on the Amazon website.  I was looking for a certain LED light a few weeks ago, there were at least 5 suppliers with the exact light on Amazon with prices differing up to 20% and shipping ranging from $4 to $12.

CTD has a lot of issues that needs to be addressed, but let's not single them out for a practice that just about every larger internet retailer uses.

And the whole "You won't ship XXX item to my fucked up liberal state".  Seriously, no firearms accessory company with half a brain and a desire to stay in business will ship to some of the more liberal states.  If you don't like it don't blame the vendor who's just trying to stay in business, fix your fucked up state laws, or move to a free state and the problem goes away.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#36]
So boys, how we gonna get this thread locked on page 11?

EDIT - For some reason the spoiler did not work

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you send me the catalog that actually has the cheaper prices in it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The free market goes both ways. CTD had every right to raise their prices based on panic. I have the right never to buy from them again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think CTD is wasting time and money here.

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Spike's did the same thing as CTD and you crazy bastards love those price gouging bastiches.  Why can't CTD get the same respect?

I won't buy from Spike's either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spike's did the same thing as CTD and you crazy bastards love those price gouging bastiches.  Why can't CTD get the same respect?

I won't buy from Spike's either.

I won't buy from either company, but only because I don't want to. I've seen some neat stuff on CTD, but Spike's has those dueling penises on their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not only do we get kicked in the nuts by the low internet wholesale prices from high volume sellers, we are also at a disadvantage because of the added sales tax we are forced to charge on our in-store sales. In PA that puts me at a 6% disadvantage right off the bat, before we even talk about gun prices. Imagine the frustration we feel when a customer brings in a CTD ad showing a gun advertised at less than dealer cost. Now we are competing with the end user for best pricing.

If I may? Your shop has to kick the internet's butt the old fashioned way: customer service!

When a customer is wanting to buy something & has no clue about what fits them the best, the internet is not going to help on that sort of thing. Helping a customer with a flinching problem, a canted scope or something as simple as not using enough oil on their semi. All those types of things coupled with semi-friendly help (ha!) are what keeps customers coming back.

No one begrudges a shop making a profit. After all, they have to pay the help too. And a shop has to decide on where they just can't challenge the internet on pricing & skip those items. But there's no better way to keep a solid customer base than to make them feel welcomed & not as an interruption, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So exactly how much DOES dirt cost these days?

Appearantly, more from Texas than any where else.

Thats cause God spent a little bit more time crafting Texas.... GOD BLESS TEXAS!

God crafted Hell too. If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So let me summarize the thread:  "Hey Cheaper Than Dirt is back!"...."Nope, Chuck Testa"

Chuck Testa does not taxidermize pets!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I always wondered how CTD even stayed in business, but then I read a few Texas State Militia threads and it became abundantly clear.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok who voted 11 pages and a lock?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Good luck with the new job!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Duke is currently out shooting for the weekend, and will be back on Monday.

Good for him.  Tell him to come to the 3MR 3gun match.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]
And I should put a picture of a naked chick right.... Here....

...j/k, by seriously, this will be the last page.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top