Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2021 1:58:20 AM EDT
There's a chunk of property for sale that abuts my FIL's. The piece of property is about 1 acre. My FIL's is 7ish acres with a nice flat pasture. Out in the country about an hour from here. Closest town is about 10 miles, but there's still cable internet and tv out there.

It currently has a delapidated single wide that will be be town down shortly. Price for the dirt is listed at $30,000. Comps for recently sold pieces of dirt are right in that range.  I have the cash to buy the dirt outright.

I have a 2500sqft place in town, which is where we have to stay because of my work and the kids' school. I'd really wouldn't mind having a place out in the sticks to serve as BOL, and to get away for the weekend. The problem is I really don't want to spend too much on the structure, and I definitely don't want to finance anything.

Lord help me, but I'm thinking about building a tiny house....

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The whole shed to house thing sounds good and all but personally I'd just build something right the first time. I've yet to see a pre fab type shed that wasn't built like sht. Especially if you are looking to get the most utility possible out of a small place.

We've talked about putting up a guest cabin down low on our place or even a hang out/bon fire spot up on the top of the mountain. I went and looked at "sheds" at a few places and was throughly unimpressed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
How rustic do you want to be? Get an awesome canvas tent and build a roof over it.  That’s the route I would go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Relevant to my interests. Wife and I are considering the same for a mountain parcel we have. We could probably put $50k into a dwelling.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How rustic do you want to be? Get an awesome canvas tent and build a roof over it.  That’s the route I would go.
View Quote

It's not about "rustic" it's more about having something livable for a few days at a time that doesn't cost a lot of money.

Having something "free and clear" (well as free and clear as something can be) that's out in the country for the inevitable collapse of society sounds enticing.

When we pay our current place off, or if we decide to save up more cash, we might build something more suitable for long-term use later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The cheapest thing to do would be similar to an Alaskan moose camp. build a wood deck and a tent frame out of dimensional lumber. When you arrive throw a canvas wall tent over the frame and walk into your tent. When you leave take down the tent, the frame and deck can handle the elements.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
RV and big camo net . Any structure will get taxed and I hate taxes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cheapest thing to do would be similar to an Alaskan moose camp. build a wood deck and a tent frame out of dimensional lumber. When you arrive throw a canvas wall tent over the frame and walk into your tent. When you leave take down the tent, the frame and deck can handle the elements.
View Quote
Minimal investment and good option. Perhaps, add some sort of heat source: portable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Pour a slab that would accommodate the size of something you would like in the future, buy a stand up tent and a cot, boom.

I guess the wood floor and a safari tent would work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Tiny houses can get expensive quick.

You mentioned a single wide being torn down, so can we assume there's already electric on site? What about water and sewage?

If it's a safe area and you only need accommodation for yourself, maybe put a carport on the property. You can go and car-camp under the shelter of the carport to get away overnight. If you eventually build on the property, the carport is still useful, so it's not wasted money.

If you want more than that, a cheap garden shed can be used to store stuff on site, such as a chemical or composting toilet. Alternately, you can buy a used travel trailer and park it under the carport to keep it mostly out of the weather.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Infrequent use, honestly, a tent. Whatever size and design. Set up, pack upon departing until next visiting. No issues then with vandalism.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]
A buddy of mine built a yurt. More expensive than a shed but less than a small house. That's why they did it. There are a variety of different sized models and floor plans to choose from.

Here's a local WA example of floor plans:

Rainier Outdoor Yurt Floor Plans
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you not taxed on raw land?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#13]
When my brother bought property in WY and moved there 15 years ago he stick framed a small "core" of what would be his home. It was only  one big room, a covey spot for washer/dryer and a bathroom. Guessing 700 sq ft. . He lived in a 20' camper he dragged up there for the construction. He worked totally by himself and worked at his new job 50 hr weeks. Stick built (studs were 2x6), well insulated, steel roof and simple masonite siding.

Had it livable in three months. Next was a small barn and fence area for his horses and horse stuff. Soon as it was tight enough to shelter his horses from a WY winter, he came back to Alabama and fetched his wife and critters. He later expanded the barn, house and fences the next warm weather season.

It can be done if you have the will and good vertibrae.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't get much cheaper than a poncho
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:10:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you not taxed on raw land?
View Quote

Of course, but any permanent structure is an " improvement" and = more tax.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Have a shipping container dropped off there.
They are cheap.
There are plenty of good builds made out of those.
Some had 2 containers about 20' apart with a metal roof between them for parking or out of the rain activities.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Search the agricultural extensions for building plans:
LSU Ag

Small Greenhouse pdf
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
A buried quonset type structure would be nice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag for interest.

i am considering something similar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
#vanlife

seriously, google it
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy a used single wide.  Repo. Trade in. 10,15K
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Build a platform, put up a great canvas wall tent tent with a wood burning stove. Enjoy.

A roof will protect the canvas and keep it cool in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Pre-fab, or stuck built, two car garage, on a slab. Probably not the cheapest short term, but if you decide to build a house, the garage is done.

Cheap, quick, easy would be a metal shed on a surepac slab. 18x24ish is around $3000, I think.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#24]
OST.  This is exactly the spot I'm in right now.  I'm taking the family to look at some land tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#25]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255112548726?hash=item3b65e49176:g:gMwAAOSwJkthKnnx

Obviously not recommending this exact one, but you can find small used towable campers that will do just fine for you. Bonus, its not a permanent structure so it's not taxable as one. Buddy of mine had one on 10 acres and it was actually really nice. He built a deck off the front end and had it wired to panels and a well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Pour a pad (or not, just park on level ground) run power (or not, just bring a genny), and use a cheap camper. Heat/a/c/ toilet, decent bed, take it home or leave it there. If it doesn't work out sell your cheap camper for what you have in it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s what pole sheds are for….pole sheds aren’t taxable structures…at least not here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
A friend of mine had a similar situation with a piece of recreational property. He put up a 16 x 24 pavilion, basically a pole barn without walls. This gave us a structure to hang out under when it rained but we slept in tents. In foul weather we sometime put our tent under the pavilion.

Over the years it's morphed into a cabin as his finances permitted. First he had the gables enclosed, then the long walls, and finally the short walls. It's still a gravel floor but now it has a loft and a wood stove.

He also added a small solar panel, charger, and 7ah battery, along with 12VDC wiring around the place. It's enough to run LED lights and small fans. It's nice when we pull in after dark to just be able to turn on a light to unload all our crap. We always bring larger battery boxes to plug into the system so we can run the lights, charge cell phones, and power ham radios over a long weekend.

The next step will be to have a concrete floor poured, and also get some insulation for the roof so the heat from the wood stove doesn't go straight out through the metal roof.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Use an old Rv and take it there when you need it.  I have neighbors that have property and  built a small cabin. People are always breaking into it, even though it is in the middle of nowhere.

Unsavory people always seem to find places like that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#30]
By the time you retrofit a shed you will be within camper territory .  Plus you have the option to travel with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Tuff shed dealer sells a cabin model that you can trim out however you want
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#32]
All depends on security situation.

Less secured areas - more simplistic setup. I recall one area where people were leaving doors unlocked with some simple food and bottle of alcohol on a table. Just so fuckers like bums or junkies won't get mad and torch the place....
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Pour a slab and build a 2 car garage with a full bath and some type of heater and window AC unit.  Totally livable with some furniture and the start of a house or a shop in the future.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Just need to get some kitties.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Holy fuck land is expensive there
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's not about "rustic" it's more about having something livable for a few days at a time that doesn't cost a lot of money.

Having something "free and clear" (well as free and clear as something can be) that's out in the country for the inevitable collapse of society sounds enticing.

When we pay our current place off, or if we decide to save up more cash, we might build something more suitable for long-term use later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Toughshed makes some pretty nice pre-fab buildings. A little bit of time doing some plumbing and putting up walls and you could have a very suitable "tiny home."
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tuff shed dealer sells a cabin model that you can trim out however you want
View Quote

Beat me to it and even spelled it right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd figure an old shipping container would be pretty cheap in a coastal state like WA. Weatherproof and very sturdy, assuming you don't buy one that's a pile of rust.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Pour large concrete pad, acquire 2 - 40 or 45ft high cab shipping containers and place them about 12-15ft apart. Build a roof section over the 2 containers. Buy an rv or trailer of some sort. Park in shade under roof.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy a cheap, used, ugly as shit camper/RV.  Fix it up a little at a time. Will be cheaper than a shed, once you add bracing, toilet, heater, water heater, cook top, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the camper idea, has genny, toilet, little place to cook and sit and sleep all ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Holy fuck land is expensive there
View Quote

All depends, it runs about $100,000/acre here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I had a 10x18 built on site in 2009 with a window unit with air/heat and ceiling fan. Costs me $6700. It didn't have a bathroom which sucked. I suggest something a little bigger with a bathroom and a microwave.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't discount the shed idea. I finished off a shed to use as my FFL location. No running water or sewer, but if I had to live in a similar structure for a few days at a time it wouldn't be a problem. Throw up a privy and a solar shower for woods living and it wouldn't be bad
Plus, it still qualifies as a shed
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a similar project ongoing. I have 17 acres of land with a few ponds outside of my city. It formerly had a camper on it that was so rotted out that I had it torn down. There is power next to the property however I want to remain off grid. It is a place for me to take the family on the weekend, go fishing, shoot, ride dirt bikes, campfire, etc and for these purposes I don't want or need a power hookup.

I put up a 10x20 lofted barn. LP siding, shingled roof, stick built specs really with a nice solid floor. This is enough space for several cot beds, extra bed in the loft, room for table and chairs etc. With the current lumber prices this cost more than I wanted to spend but overall I think I went the right way. It's well built and a sufficient size.

For heat I got a portable propane heater run to a 20lb tank. I have a porta john for the wife to use...and am considering a small power bank with solar panels to keep the phones ,speakers, mini fridge running. This setup should be perfect for my needs. I bought my barn pre-made but with lumber prices how they are I don't know how much cheaper it would have been to build it myself. Overall cost for building, furniture, heater, power bank, etc. Should run you under 10k.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Beavis and Butthead - What street do you live on?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/I72sWzXCvvw/hqdefault.jpg
Just need to get some kitties.
View Quote

You beat me to it. "Modded shed" immediately brings to mind Bubbles and his kitties.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just get a trailer and be done with it.
View Quote

This seems like the obvious answer to me. They were the original tiny house, and as far as I can tell, are typically bigger, nicer and far cheaper than actual tiny houses.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top