Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2020 10:06:48 AM EDT
My son told me that he received his "papers" from UPS to allow him to cross the state line TN/AL and his other job at Huntsville Hospital is going to issue "papers" as well.

I haven't tried to cross the border myself but my son said he had to show his identification and company badges to get through without the "papers".

TF? This is getting a little bit sporty now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
We in FL are doing the same.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Achievement Unlocked: Total government control of movement.
Achievement Unlocked: Resistance-Free Takeover

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Im on the TN/KY border, Went into KY over the weekend, business as usual.. thats been almost a week ago though so not sure if anything has changed yet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I travel I-40 and I-55 into Memphis from Arkansas, it would back essential materials travel up for 25 miles in every direction and eventually bring everything to a standstill if they stopped every vehicle.  2 lanes each direction and 3 lanes each direction on the only two bridges across the MS river.  In 1997, the Hwy department set up a test to see how many semi trucks came through West Memphis (this is where I-40 and I-55 come together and travel a common 4 mile stretch of mighway) and there were over 2,700 semi trucks an hour then.  It has doubled or more since then.  I have seen what it looks like when two bridges were closed from 10am in the morning to 6pm at night, traffic backed up coming into Memphis for 15 miles outside Memphis.  It would have to be REALLY bad before they started stopping vehicles coming over the bridges, and the ripple effect would be felt nationwide.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I do interstate construction and we have had the papers for over a week,  just a letter saying we are on the way to work, leave us alone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#8]
They should have implemented this long before. Like the northern border in 1864.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Old news.

Graham county in NC blocked off completely access into NC on the Cherohala Skyway over a week ago. You have to obtain a "permit" from Graham county in order to enter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#11]
This will get out of hand, and one has to wonder how much we will get back.  I read this morning where the NJ Governor just issued confiscation orders.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old news.

Graham county in NC blocked off completely access into NC on the Cherohala Skyway over a week ago. You have to obtain a "permit" from Graham county in order to enter.
View Quote

Permit?  WTF?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Think about how many back roads are between us and Huntsville, OP. There's no way they could seal off every road.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Achievement Unlocked: Total government control of movement.
Achievement Unlocked: Resistance-Free Takeover

View Quote

Yep. Amazing
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#15]
People have been receiving their papers all week here, and attempting to show them to me all over. IDGAF. My job is not to stop you because you're going to open the gas station at 5AM.

The fact that employers have issues these "papers" has caused all sorts of paranoia that we're (around here) going to do something that we have no intention of doing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This will get out of hand, and one has to wonder how much we will get back.  I read this morning where the NJ Governor just issued confiscation orders.
View Quote

Absolutely nothing. Power, once given (or taken), is never freely returned.

Doomers need to keep screeching for more restrictions and a flatter curve so we can just drive off the authoritarian cliff and get it over with already.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So much for the "United States".
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#18]
No papers?

No papers.

The Hunt for Red October (5/9) Movie CLIP - Living in America (1990) HD
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I do interstate construction and we have had the papers for over a week,  just a letter saying we are on the way to work, leave us alone.
View Quote

was curious about that seems the asphalt road work is being considered no essinshall.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
TN highway patrol sure lives civil forfeiture, this sounds like another excuse for them to engage in that practice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Permit?  WTF?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old news.

Permit?  WTF?

Roger that!

Supposedly the permit comes from Graham county.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I'm a Police Officer in TN. We aren't checking any "papers", nor been told that any type of "papers" would even be necessary. I live on the border in a neighboring state and travel back and forth twice a day to get to and from work in my personal vehicle. No roadblocks,  stops, or anything. Just because your Employer made up some paperwork doesn't mean that paperwork was ever needed or required.

Maybe I read this wrong.  Is it AL. requiring this paperwork or stopping people? I cant speak for AL. They are strange.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#23]
If you’re planning on coming into Texas from Louisiana on I-10, good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I would love to have someone ask me to present my papers, just so I can say "Sorry, man, I only have a pipe!"
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#25]
If you have out of state plates, expect to be targeted.

Also,

Speed limits aren't really a thing right now....

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#26]
As I understand it, EMPLOYERS are doing this out of an abundance of caution.

I haven't yet heard of a LEO who cared either way. Only thing I know of that I can't do right now is go to the gym, which, ironically, is probably the thing I need the most.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Checkpoints ?
Papers please ?
Why does this sound familiar ?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Think about how many back roads are between us and Huntsville, OP. There's no way they could seal off every road.
View Quote

I usually go through Ardmore (live south of Nashville) when visiting Owens X Roads.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I have to agree with a previous poster.  I don't thin TN is requiring anything based of some website that I can't find at the moment (was a thread in GD about when each state will experience the height of the pandemic).  I also believe that companies that are in multiple states, particular locked down ones, issued a blanket to cover anyone in the company.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also,

View Quote

saw lots of ohio and WV plates last weekend.

KSP in the counties I travel through are stretched thin as it is, my first cousin is a trooper. They barely have enough troopers to have 2 people on every shift - this is also the busiest post on the state of KY.

state troopers and local police are being told not to respond to calls unless its life threatening. when you send cops to every call you increase the chances that they get sick and spread it around post. then you get half the post sick and in isolation and now all of a sudden you have no police force.

you arent going to be pulled over for out of state plates or to be checked for anything.
you also wont be pulled over for speeding unless your doing like 85 in a 55
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would love to have someone ask me to present my papers, just so I can say "Sorry, man, I only have a pipe!"
View Quote

Most of the cops I've seen are hole up in some speed trap looking spot trying not to pull anyone over.

I can foresee some overzealous county sheriff deciding he was the authority on who could enter/leave their county at some state line somewhere but honestly don't expect it.

All these "papers" are just freaky.  People believing that free movement and travel will be curtailed and trying to make a piece of paper to make it OK.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also,

View Quote

I've been in MD, NJ, VA, and WV with PA plates and no one cared.

Most of the cops were hiding like they were running speed traps but none and I mean none cared to budge when I came flying past them.  Yea Honda J-series V6!

ETA: Bring your own TP to rest stops just as a FYI.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I have an acquaintance who reached out directly to the Memphis police department, the only active thing the MPD is doing is trying to shut down large groups of people congregating in public.  Outside of that, they are not engaging individual people directly about them being out in public even with a "shelter in place order".
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So much for the "United States".

View Quote

Back before this country became overrun with progressives the phrase was “THESE United States” not “THE United States”

An individual state doing what’s in its best interests and the interests of its citizens is fundamentally American. I.E. during a pandemic blocking ingress of possible plague carriers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back before this country became overrun with progressives the phrase was “THESE United States” not “THE United States”

An individual state doing what’s in its best interests and the interests of its citizens is fundamentally American. I.E. during a pandemic blocking ingress of possible plague carriers.

Freedom of movement under United States law is governed primarily by the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the United States Constitution which states, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." As far back as the circuit court ruling in Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823), freedom of movement has been judicially recognized as a fundamental Constitutional right. In Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869), the Court defined freedom of movement as "right of free ingress into other States, and egress from them."[71] However, the Supreme Court did not invest the federal government with the authority to protect freedom of movement. Under the "privileges and immunities" clause, this authority was given to the states, a position the Court held consistently through the years in cases such as Ward v. Maryland, 79 U.S. 418 (1871), the Slaughter-House Cases, 83 U.S. 36 (1873) and United States v. Harris, 106 U.S. 629 (1883).[72][73]

It's a deadly pandemic, stop being a fool.

You were arguing we as US citizens first are no longer united and that's un-American, I was arguing it's fundamentally American and CANNOT actually work any other way than to be TN or WV citizen first THEN US Citizen. And during a time of exigent circumstances, accordingly the States would be expected to take actions to protect their citizens. No different than the Fed government refusing to allow an infected cruise ship to dock.

Neither implies a new right or power after the exigent circumstances have ended that DID NOT ALREADY EXIST.

Besides that, do you really want the Fed government to issue edicts from on high for all of us or should the States have the responsibilities and powers intended for them by the Constitution. The absurdity of your argument is you apparently want more big Fed Gov, because that's the next step for enforcing quarantine.

But but but, NY & CA will abuse this! Well no shit, but's it's better than giving these powers to the Federal Gov so we can all be abused. At least my vote actually matters on the state level.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I usually go through Ardmore (live south of Nashville) when visiting Owens X Roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP and I live a few miles away from each other in Fayetteville. I know of numerous ways to get from where we live to the other side of the line without hitting 231/431 until I'm into AL. If I cross 231/431 in TN, I could probably add another half dozen routes. Figure I can cross the state line any one of ten ways within 20 miles without doing so on the biggest, most direct, route and you have way too many places for THP/ALEA or either Lincoln or Madison County sheriff's departments to cover 24/7-even if they called up the Lincoln County Sheriff's Posse.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The OP and I live a few miles away from each other in Fayetteville. I know of numerous ways to get from where we live to the other side of the line without hitting 231/431 until I'm into AL. If I cross 231/431 in TN, I could probably add another half dozen routes. Figure I can cross the state line any one of ten ways within 20 miles without doing so on the biggest, most direct, route and you have way too many places for THP/ALEA or either Lincoln or Madison County sheriff's departments to cover 24/7-even if they called up the Lincoln County Sheriff's Posse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

My son crossed on 231 this morning.  I didn't ask him which department/state stopped him.

When I go to Alabama from my house, I cross on a backroad. Can't say that I have ever seen a law enforcement officer on that road in the 20+ years that I have travelled it. A Huntsville PD officer lives on the Alabama side on that road but I've never seen him out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, I'm a Police Officer in TN. We aren't checking any "papers", nor been told that any type of "papers" would even be necessary. I live on the border in a neighboring state and travel back and forth twice a day to get to and from work in my personal vehicle. No roadblocks,  stops, or anything. Just because your Employer made up some paperwork doesn't mean that paperwork was ever needed or required.

Maybe I read this wrong.  Is it AL. requiring this paperwork or stopping people? I cant speak for AL. They are strange.
View Quote

I've had a few guys telling me about THP stopping out-of-state cars.  But when pushed, it's "heard it from a friend, who heard from a friend, who...."   Of course THP prefers to stop foreigners, they'll pay the ticket by mail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Firearm confiscation?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

was curious about that seems the asphalt road work is being considered no essinshall.
View Quote

It is more of a hazard to leave projects open.  Temporary traffic patterns, positive protection, temporary structures all have to be maintained for safety.  Not to mention the fucking environmental nuts would have a heart attack if erosion control was not maintained haha.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been hauling tornado-damaged freight from Mt. Juliet to Fayetteville for the last two weeks, and I’ve only seen the THP stopping pickups & duallys with unsecured cargo or overloaded trailers. Take a few minutes and cover your load, you damn idiots, because nobody likes having to swerve around the garbage you leave in the middle of I-65.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Roger that!

Supposedly the permit comes from Graham county.
View Quote

The Graham County NC thing is a little disturbing.   It's full on retro East Germany there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My son told me that he received his "papers" from UPS to allow him to cross the state line TN/AL and his other job at Huntsville Hospital is going to issue "papers" as well.

I haven't tried to cross the border myself but my son said he had to show his identification and company badges to get through without the "papers".

View Quote

We're beyond "sporty now."

About 'par boil'
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’ve been hauling tornado-damaged freight from Mt. Juliet to Fayetteville for the last two weeks, and I’ve only seen the THP stopping pickups & duallys with unsecured cargo or overloaded trailers. Take a few minutes and cover your load, you damn idiots, because nobody likes having to swerve around the garbage you leave in the middle of I-65.
View Quote

How's it looking in Mt. Juliet? I have a friend trying to sell her those there and ever since the tornado and now Kung Flu her prospects have gone to zero. She put her house on the market a week and half before the tornado.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I travel I-40 and I-55 into Memphis from Arkansas, it would back essential materials travel up for 25 miles in every direction and eventually bring everything to a standstill if they stopped every vehicle.  2 lanes each direction and 3 lanes each direction on the only two bridges across the MS river.  In 1997, the Hwy department set up a test to see how many semi trucks came through West Memphis (this is where I-40 and I-55 come together and travel a common 4 mile stretch of mighway) and there were over 2,700 semi trucks an hour then.  It has doubled or more since then.  I have seen what it looks like when two bridges were closed from 10am in the morning to 6pm at night, traffic backed up coming into Memphis for 15 miles outside Memphis.  It would have to be REALLY bad before they started stopping vehicles coming over the bridges, and the ripple effect would be felt nationwide.
View Quote

It’s extra special whenever a wreck shuts one of the bridges down. Always a cluster.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

saw lots of ohio and WV plates last weekend.

KSP in the counties I travel through are stretched thin as it is, my first cousin is a trooper. They barely have enough troopers to have 2 people on every shift - this is also the busiest post on the state of KY.

state troopers and local police are being told not to respond to calls unless its life threatening. when you send cops to every call you increase the chances that they get sick and spread it around post. then you get half the post sick and in isolation and now all of a sudden you have no police force.

you arent going to be pulled over for out of state plates or to be checked for anything.
you also wont be pulled over for speeding unless your doing like 85 in a 55
View Quote

Hell, I watched a line of cars blow by a cop doing that in a work zone... and he just stayed chilling on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Went into TN yesterday and back. No sign of any checkpoints.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How's it looking in Mt. Juliet? I have a friend trying to sell her those there and ever since the tornado and now Kung Flu her prospects have gone to zero. She put her house on the market a week and half before the tornado.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s going to take a lot of work but the warehouses are either back at work or being emptied out ahead of demolition & replacement.

Mount Juliet will always be a middle-class bedroom community, and this will attract out-of-towners. Your friend may have to wait longer than she wants, but the middle Tennessee real estate market eventually recover.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the "papers" as well - essential job.  I think the papers are a CYA for the businesses as much as anything.  For any discipline to stand legally, the employee would have to be notified they are essential and expected to be at work normal/requested hours.  Otherwise, "Jimmy" doesn't show up to work.  Boss "Jimmy why didn't you show up yesterday"  Jimmy "Boss everything was shut down, I didn't think I was essential because I just mop the floor".  No standing other than a verbal warning.  Other possibility "I tried coming in but the police turned me around and made me go home"  If you are instructed to carry proof with you, if Jimmy gets turned around with a letter then it becomes a Federal issue and the officer is gonna have some splainin' to do.  And it will be a behoove them to document who turned them away if they want to get paid and not get discipline.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top