Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:29:23 PM EDT
I can't complain about the first episode......Damn what those guys walked into and the Soviets trying to cover it up within the first hour of the disaster defies description.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A crazy story, and the first episode was great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, don't get HBO.

I wonder if they get into the "conspiracy theory" that the meltdown was caused to cover up the failure of this project?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife is out of town right now but we are excited to watch it this week when she gets home
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A crazy story, and the first episode was great.
View Quote
It just goes to show how rotten to the core the Soviet State apparatus was......Even if what is depicted in the show is only half true.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I only give it 6.5/10 because everyone speaks with a British accent. Its annoying as hell. They couldn't find any Russian/Ukraine actors?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

I wonder if they get into the "conspiracy theory" that the meltdown was caused to cover up the failure of this project?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only give it 6.5/10 because everyone speaks with a British accent. Its annoying as hell. They couldn't find any Russian/Ukraine actors?
View Quote
Not all of us know Russian.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Good first episode.  Poor fuckin firefighters and families. Jesus.

Portraying Dyatlov as I expected.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It just goes to show how rotten to the core the Soviet State apparatus was......Even if what is depicted in the show is only half true.
View Quote
That pep speech the old commie with the cane recited?

I can see a variation of the same being recited by the likes of Hillary, Pelosi, and their ilk.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good first episode.  Poor fuckin firefighters and families. Jesus.

Portraying Dyatlov as I expected.
View Quote
when the fireman picked up that graphite block, I was like HOLY SHIT!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A RUssian accent would have been fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That pep speech the old commie with the cane recited?

I can see a variation of the same being recited by the likes of Hillary, Pelosi, and their ilk.
View Quote
I asked in the other, who's the actor that played him? Seems extremely familiar.

ETA: think I found it, Donald Sumpter, he played Maester Luwin (Winterfell) in GoT.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
First episode was superb.  Leaves you with the taste of nuclear holocaust in your mouth.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

View Quote
I doubt it.  Chernoboyl was caused by a plant operator that did not follow test instructions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah "Oh. Well he's dead"
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya know what’s even more annoying?

Listening to bad actors speak with heavy accents just for the sake of “authenticity”

Half decent filmmakers have figured out that getting quality actors is far more important than getting an accent right, and it’s better to skip the accent than to force a shitty fake one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First episode was superb.  Leaves you with the taste of nuclear holocaust in your mouth.
View Quote
Do you taste metal?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
This video has some pretty haunting footage of the area about halfway throuh.

Pink Floyd - Marooned (Official Music Video HD)
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonder how they'll handle The Elephants Foot

Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you taste metal?
View Quote
a little
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think there is like 8 Russians that know English, why were the not they in the show?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

View Quote
Uh. That would be like forgetting to take out the trash so to keep your wife from finding out you burn down your house.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wonder how they'll handle The Elephants Foot

http://i.imgur.com/FFU9dX6.jpg
View Quote
I was reading about that recently.

The elephants foot is significantly less radioactive than it used to be and is beginning to flake apart.

The new containment arch is quite fascinating. Will be interesting to see if they can actually disassemble the existing structures.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Uh. That would be like forgetting to take out the trash so to keep your wife from finding out you burn down your house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

What? That's never happened?

Probably not a good idea with a nuclear reactor, you know the whole 'irradiated for tens of thousands of years thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What? That's never happened?

Probably not a good idea with a nuclear reactor, you know the whole 'irradiated for tens of thousands of years thing.
View Quote
Yeah but you're not thinking in Russian
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Chernobyl Mysteries: The Elephant's Foot (aka "Medusa"... Pure chernobylite)
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I immediately thought, "well he's screwed".

The other scene from in the hospital where the nurse is asking if they stock iodine pills and the Dr. gets pissed and asks why would they bother stocking those.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
English actors?  Really?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Superb irony.  Mocking the lies of the Soviet Union, while at the same time … completely making stuff up out of their own technical laziness.

ETA:
I'm going to walk back my criticism. Way back.
If the episodes were all pulled together in one continuous piece, the totality of what this film team has done would simply trample over whatever technical confusion I would have had in mid stream.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Superb irony.  Mocking the lies of the Soviet Union, while at the same time … completely making stuff up out of their own technical laziness.
View Quote
I've read a LOT about this incident.

I tend to agree with you.  They're not without, er, dramatic license so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

View Quote
Jesus.  Just when I though I had seen enough stupid stuff for the night, I read your post.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#33]
remember kids, it is entirely possible the whole thing was touched off by a small nuclear detonation that was a result of the runaway reaction
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
remember kids, it is entirely possible the whole thing was touched off by a small nuclear detonation that was a result of the runaway reaction
View Quote
No, it's not possible at all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#36]
What was the graphite used for?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmm, don't get HBO.

View Quote
The woodpecker ran for years after Chernobyl? Why was it a failure?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/new-finding-nuke-blast-crippled-chernobyl

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00295450.2017.1384269

"It is concluded that the two explosions in the reactor that many witnesses recognized were thermal neutron mediated nuclear explosions at the bottom of a few fuel channels and then some 2.7 s later a steam explosion that ruptured the reactor vessel. The nuclear explosions formed a plasma jet that shot upward through the still intact refueling tubes, rammed the 350-kg plugs, and continued through the quite thin roof and then some 2.5 to 3 km into the atmosphere where the meteorological situation provided a route to Cherepovets.

The release dynamics of xenon after the steam explosion has not been very well known. Meteorological dispersion calculations compared with actual detections of 133Xe in Freiburg, Germany, in early May 1986 could, however, be used to estimate that around 15% of the bulk xenon in the core was released during the first 24 h to a fairly low altitude. This figure was plugged into the calculations for Cherepovets, and it was then concluded that the part of the core that was released by the steam explosion contributed very little to the Cherepovets detections and therefore had little impact on the conclusions.

The scenario is well corroborated by observations of the effects on the lower lid of the reactor vessel, by seismic detections (including sound) about100 km away from the reactor and by witness accounts of a blue flash that could not be explained by any other process than a nuclear explosion."

@mayday
@L_JE
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The woodpecker ran for years after Chernobyl? Why was it a failure?
View Quote
It was supposed to scorch your brain and make you defend the Motherland.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#40]
It was really good, looking forward to the rest of it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Technically it was a moderator. Practically it was the bones of the core. It had channels in it that held the fuel assemblies and provided channels for cooling water and control rods.

It was the major structure of the core, and highly radioactive.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neutron moderator for the reactor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#43]
What that a starling that fell at the end?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neutron moderator.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neutron moderation.  It's very effective to slow down neutrons into the "thermal" energy region, which allows sustained fission in low enrichment density reactor configurations.  One of the dangers of graphite moderation is that it doesn't allow for self-correcting moderation as reactor temperature increases.

In PWRs and BWRs (the most common reactors in the world), water is the neutron moderator.  The fuel is enriched to such low levels, that without slowing the neutrons down into the "thermalized" energy region, fission isn't sustainable.  And in PWR/BWRs water moderates these neutrons, and the convenient thing about water is that as it heats up, the density (and ability to moderate neutrons) goes down.  Self correcting, if you will.

Graphite's moderation, however, doesn't decrease with temperature like that of water, so a reactor like a Soviet RBMK doesn't have a natural tendency to decrease neutron flux as reactor power increases - and this makes RBMK operation tricky - and is at the crux of the whole Chernobyl disaster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Just for fun, and I've put this up before.   Youtuber Carl Willis became acquainted with the widow of a scientist who worked on the Chicago pile.

Turns out her husband saved an, er, souvenir from the pile:    A graphite brick COMPLETE with the two machined uranium metal slugs.

Now, if these were just chunks of uranium it wouldn't be such of a much.   Very long half life, therefore quite low (comparatively) quantity of disintegrations per hour.

But these bits were actually in a functioning reactor, which meant that some of that material was transformed into nasty daughters.    You can see him quantify and characterize that on this video.   Now given when the Chicago pile operated, the some of that stuff has been through nearly three half lives but I wouldn't keep it in my living room.

Still its a fascinating video!

Cheers:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Es4_tz7_7E
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Somehow, somewhere, this has got to be Trump’s fault.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"It is concluded that the two explosions in the reactor that many witnesses recognized were thermal neutron mediated nuclear explosions at the bottom of a few fuel channels and then some 2.7 s later a steam explosion that ruptured the reactor vessel. The nuclear explosions formed a plasma jet that shot upward through the still intact refueling tubes, rammed the 350-kg plugs, and continued through the quite thin roof and then some 2.5 to 3 km into the atmosphere where the meteorological situation provided a route to Cherepovets.

The release dynamics of xenon after the steam explosion has not been very well known. Meteorological dispersion calculations compared with actual detections of 133Xe in Freiburg, Germany, in early May 1986 could, however, be used to estimate that around 15% of the bulk xenon in the core was released during the first 24 h to a fairly low altitude. This figure was plugged into the calculations for Cherepovets, and it was then concluded that the part of the core that was released by the steam explosion contributed very little to the Cherepovets detections and therefore had little impact on the conclusions.

The scenario is well corroborated by observations of the effects on the lower lid of the reactor vessel, by seismic detections (including sound) about100 km away from the reactor and by witness accounts of a blue flash that could not be explained by any other process than a nuclear explosion."

@mayday
@L_JE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mayday
@L_JE
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I can't vouch for accuracy, but the first episode certainly had my attention.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Cerenkov glow is going to be present if there is sufficient steam/water density and gamma or beta radiation, and wouldn't necessarily be tied to any prompt response.  That the paper would try so hard to correlate witness recollections, Cerenkov, and so forth, it's just a perplexing balance/imbalance of effort in their work.

When the reactor tubes breached, there would have been ample gamma and beta sources in that core to produce visible Cerenkov glow, given a sufficient presence of steam liberating from the core.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top