BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some seriously smart dudes in this thread.  You're just causing a ruckus and ignoring what has already been stated.

There more than a few of us radworkers on arf.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

GD: Watches TV drama... becomes SME. Clownin.
There are some seriously smart dudes in this thread.  You're just causing a ruckus and ignoring what has already been stated.

What if I told you I was a radworker?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've worked in the industry for 20 years, and even worked at Fukushima Daiichi after their disaster.

There is a lot of good technical information in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully this thread continues to be an excellent source of SME related info, and historical references. And not bullshit conspiracies...
You guys are hilarious.

I've worked in the industry for 20 years, and even worked at Fukushima Daiichi after their disaster.

There is a lot of good technical information in this thread.
There is also a lot of bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

Well, are you?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Completely agree.

I don't know how accurate the portrayal was, but it was something that definitely resonated: you've got somebody who isn't an SME, but he becomes your boss in very adverse circumstances, adversarial circumstances, and then becomes your best champion for getting stuff done in the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Party Officer actor did a great job.
Completely agree.

I don't know how accurate the portrayal was, but it was something that definitely resonated: you've got somebody who isn't an SME, but he becomes your boss in very adverse circumstances, adversarial circumstances, and then becomes your best champion for getting stuff done in the situation.
As soon as they showed the PhD nuclear physics lady go to the fat bureaucrat's office, I could smell the BO.

If you've ever been over there, you know what I mean.  Powerful, overwhelming armpit BO that will sucker punch your snot box with fury and not let off.

One thing this exposé is bringing to mind is how Chernobyl probably played into the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Things were already so bad in the 1970s that the highest-grossing box office in 1975 was an open and blunt critique of the system-a system where movie producers had to gain permission from the state to even think about making a movie, what the content would be, and how their government would be portrayed.

Then what did they do?  After a period of apparent stability in the 1970s, they invaded Afghanistan in 1979, kicking it off with a commando raid on the Afghan President's palace and gunning down everyone inside.

I'm starting to see Chernobyl as a significant event that contributed to the downfall of the USSR because it gave the world the impression that they are incompetent when it comes to managing complex systems, so incompetent and faulty that their failure caused serious consequences for many nations in the region, regardless of political alignment to the Soviet Union.

Within 3 years, it would be over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, are you?
View Quote
lol he's not, but what if he told you he was?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

Well, are you?
I work in the industry and have had many quals including radworker and contamination worker as the needs of my job dictated. I no longer have a need to touch nuclear materials directly so I gave up those quals long ago.

I've worked for civil and DoD nuclear programs and the national labs. I hate using the word expert but I do consider myself an SME in reactor design and also have a personal interest in the history of nuclear and the Soviet union itself. I work with the top scientists and engineers in the world on this subject and that is not an exaggeration.

I gave my opinion on the Chernobyl thing and thats all it is, an opinion, a point of discussion. I provided context and an alternative viewpoint.

GD of course being the hive of foaming at the mouth autists that it is can't handle a non-conforming opinion because it wasn't what the TV told them.

There is more to this world than what is shown on TV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, are you?
You literally know nothing, and yet your mouth is still moving.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is the thread that talks about the actual show without all the hand wringing and tech jargon?

This show is fucking outstanding!  This is the best show I've seen in a really long time thus far.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As soon as they showed the PhD nuclear physics last go to the fat bureaucrat's office, I could smell the BO.

If you've ever been over there, you know what I mean.  Powerful, overwhelming armpit BO that will sucker punch your snot box with fury and not let off.

One thing this expos is bringing to mind is how Chernobyl probably played into the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Things were already so bad in the 1970s that the highest-grossing box office in 1975 was an open and blunt critique of the system-a system where movie producers had to gain permission from the state to even think about making a movie, what the content would be, and how their government would be portrayed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/79/Afonyaposter.jpg/220px-Afonyaposter.jpg

Then what did they do?  After a period of apparent stability in the 1970s, they invaded Afghanistan in 1979, kicking it off with a commando raid on the Afghan President's palace and gunning down everyone inside.

I'm starting to see Chernobyl as a significant event that contributed to the downfall of the USSR because it gave the world the impression that they are incompetent when it comes to managing complex systems, so incompetent and faulty that their failure caused serious consequences for many nations in the region, regardless of political alignment to the Soviet Union.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely agree.

As soon as they showed the PhD nuclear physics last go to the fat bureaucrat's office, I could smell the BO.

One thing this expos is bringing to mind is how Chernobyl probably played into the collapse of the Soviet Union.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/79/Afonyaposter.jpg/220px-Afonyaposter.jpg

What killed the Soviet Union was completely failed economy.

The Soviet economy was already in freefall long before Afghanistan and the Chernobyl event. Those were minor blips in the grand scheme of things.

People like to find individual events to point at but the system was never sustainable. Communism doesn't work. Its a fucking disease.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, are you?
Dude, for all I know, you invented the atom.
That said, maybe you spent a bit too much time alone in the lab, because your people skills?
Yeah, not so much, professor.

Anyways, I thought the ending of last nights episode was great. A "gutpunch".

My only complaint, and I know it's already been discussed is making British actors fake a Russian accent, because apparently we otherwise would not have realized this happened in Russia. All it really does is make it hard to understand what they are saying.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I work in the industry and have had many quals including radworker and contamination worker as the needs of my job dictated. I no longer have a need to touch nuclear materials directly so I gave up those quals long ago.

I've worked for civil and DoD nuclear programs and the national labs. I hate using the word expert but I do consider myself an SME in reactor design and also have a personal interest in the history of nuclear and the Soviet union itself. I work with the top scientists and engineers in the world on this subject and that is not an exaggeration.

I gave my opinion on the Chernobyl thing and thats all it is, an opinion, a point of discussion. I provided context and an alternative viewpoint.

GD of course being the hive of foaming at the mouth autists that it is can't handle a non-conforming opinion because it wasn't what the TV told them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

Well, are you?

I don't know shit about nuke stuff, but I think the real contention is any sort of lack of proof. Yeah, they are dirt bags so it wouldn't be super surprising, but even still you can't just throw out a conspiracy without something to back it up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Goes on GD and claims Chernobyl was an intentional act by the Russians

Admits he has nothing to back it up so lists other fucked up things the Soviets did.

Calls everyone in GD "foaming at the mouth autists" and says there is more to life than TV.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]
in so I remember to watch this
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where is the thread that talks about the actual show without all the hand wringing and tech jargon?

This show is fucking outstanding!  This is the best show I've seen in a really long time thus far.  
View Quote
This is it. . . just being temporarily derailed by foaming at the mouth autists
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That said, maybe you spent a bit too much time alone in the lab, because your people skills?

My only complaint, and I know it's already been discussed is making British actors fake a Russian accent, because apparently we otherwise would not have realized this happened in Russia. All it really does is make it hard to understand what they are saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, are you?

I should just stay out of GD, I am nicer in person.

I drive by your plant all the time BTW, very nice plant. Even looks nice, love the building.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the point where two posters ruin a good thread. Happens way too often. Just let it go people.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
For my military brethren, this quote is the same context as
"I worked along side the United State's most elite Navy Seals and Army Special Forces. I have worked with several Teams, including Seal Team 6, so I believe I am a SME on Seal and Operator tactics and operations"

Doesn't want to mention MOS 92G for.....you know..... reasons
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully this thread continues to be an excellent source of SME related info, and historical references. And not bullshit conspiracies...
You guys are hilarious.

This isn't the first thread that I've seen you intentionally shit on. Good thing is, I can minimize my viewing of your stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have said this many times before also.

When you take a pause and really think about what they did, it appears that this was unlikely to be an accident.

I believe there is a strong chance the Soviet government did this on purpose to undermine Western nuclear power efforts.

What most people don't realize is how much time and effort the NKVD and KGB spent on undermining and obstructing the nuclear programs in France, Germany, South Africa, Spain, the UK, the USA, etc. Through any means possible. I would not put this "accident" above them, in fact, it is fits perfectly with their normal MO.
View Quote
You really think the USSR purposefully did $235 billion dollars of damage to itself to fuck with us? It would have been cheaper to just nuke us.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For my military brethren, this quote is the same context as
"I worked along side the United State's most elite Navy Seals and Army Special Forces. I have worked with several Teams, including Seal Team 6, so I believe I am a SME on Seal and Operator tactics and operations"

Doesn't want to mention MOS 92G for.....you know..... reasons
View Quote
well he hates to use the word expert. . . . so at least he's modest
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This discussion of the possible explosion they're trying to avoid as of the end of Ep 2 interests me, because  the truth is we still cannot understand some of the shit water does under extremely high temperature.

Remember those videos with thermite dripping through a bucket into ice?   The crazy guy on the hydrolic press youtube channel even did one on a frozen lake.  Pretty good sized explosions from a melt mass equal to maybe a few tablespoons of molten material at less than half the temperature of the Chernobyl melt.  And the guys of Mythbusters said no one knows wtf is happening, although there are some theories.   I think its a temporary confinement that lets water get into some sort of extreme superheated state followed by a BLEVE explosion.

When I was in college a girlfriend's roommate nearly blew up their kitchen putting full sized tea leaves into an old 50s style screw on lid teapot.   The leaves floated up and plugged the teaspout, and when the pressure got high enough it popped off the knob from the screw top letting the entire 3 or so cups of water instantly boil in the container.  It blew the top off like shrapnel, blew the vent hood off their kitchen stove, and shot bits of metal through the ceiling.    SHe said it sounded like dynamite.

No add in that there was zirconium from the fuel cladding in that melt, and that Zirconium is a catalyst for popping hydrogen and oxygen atoms apart at high tempurature so you can add a hydrogen explosion to the mix too.    It would not have been small, but not as large as supposed by the made-up scientist.

One thing that's most interesting is that the fallout from whatever sized explosion it would have been.   That was the bad part.

The little Uranium bomb we popped over Hiroshima had about 55 pounds of Uranium.    A mass equal to the dime in your pocket actually fissioned, the rest was just bathed for an instant in an insane neutron flux and them blown to pieces and spread.

Now, remember those fuel bundles at Chernobyl (they look like a cluster of rods) EACH have over 300 pounds of Uranium.   And there are like 1700 of those bundles  in the RBMK reactor type.    That is a whole lot of nuclear material, all angry and saturated with daughter nucleotide products from the fission that are insanely radioactive.  The amount of shit that could have gone airborne if that mass actually plopped into a relatively confined pool of water... yikes.
View Quote
You aren't getting a Megatron TNT equivalent explosion out of ~20,000 tons of water. If that was possible, our air force would be dropping cans of hot water on people instead of high explosives.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Soviet economy was already in freefall long before Afghanistan and the Chernobyl event. Those were minor blips in the grand scheme of things.

People like to find individual events to point at but the system was never sustainable. Communism doesn't work. Its a fucking disease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely agree.

Looks like you might have skipped past that point I also made, using Afonya as an example.  If you haven't seen it, it is very telling that it was even allowed to be made.  It comes off on the surface as just a critique of one loser's life, but is in actuality a critique on the whole system, especially when they show him in the apartment mandatory political meetings where he is called up in front of his neighbors and carefully dressed down by the commissar, who then asks his neighbors what should be done about his public intoxication, bribery schemes, misallocation of plumbing supplies, and arrest by the local police for drunken and disorderly conduct.  Nobody wants to call for any consequences, because they know it could very well be one of them and they all live in close proximity to each other and just want to go on with their lives without these stupid commie HOA meetings.

Communism wasn't even able to overcome the Russian culture of resignation.

They have these large government apartment complexes all over the place built under Khrushchev that were only meant to last a few years with the 5 year plans.  Those were built in the 1950s and they're still littering all of Moscow to this day, as well as many other cities built after the war.  Plumbing is all rotted, large wood stoves with heating pipe batteries provide the heat with boiler room men, mailboxes are all torn out, outer window panes are broken on many of them, rust is everywhere...."Normal"

When living there, I had this ominous sense that not only had they never recovered from the 1917 Revolution and Russian Civil War, but they were never going to.  Learning more about the details of Chernobyl underlies that sad reality even more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You really think the USSR purposefully did $235 billion dollars of damage to itself to fuck with us? It would have been cheaper to just nuke us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you take a pause and really think about what they did, it appears that this was unlikely to be an accident.

I believe there is a strong chance the Soviet government did this on purpose to undermine Western nuclear power efforts.

What most people don't realize is how much time and effort the NKVD and KGB spent on undermining and obstructing the nuclear programs in France, Germany, South Africa, Spain, the UK, the USA, etc. Through any means possible. I would not put this "accident" above them, in fact, it is fits perfectly with their normal MO.
You have to understand that the $235 billion number is completely made up by westerners. From their perspective, this was not a major event, it did not consume any major resources, the cost was a single RBMK core and a few lives and some equipment (trivial). They continued to operate the rest of the reactors at the plant and their nuclear program went on as if nothing had happened.

You are talking about a country that displaced or killed millions of its own people for little or no reason... routinely.

This was a MAJOR strategic win against the western economies for them long term. The short term economic losses for them were cheap. You have to understand how badly Germany and the UK have been crippled by the loss of their nuclear programs. Same with South Africa and Spain. It was an enormous blow.

Whats funnier is the Soviets didn't even pay for most of the cleanup. Westerners did. You are viewing this from the perspective of a capitalist who puts a monetary value on liability. That is laughable to the Soviet government. They had no liability.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like you might have skipped past that point I also made, using Afonya as an example.  If you haven't seen it, it is very telling that it was even allowed to be made.  It comes off on the surface as just a critique of one loser's life, but is in actuality a critique on the whole system, especially when they show him in the apartment mandatory political meetings where he is called up in front of his neighbors and carefully dressed down by the commissar, who then asks his neighbors what should be done about his public intoxication, bribery schemes, misallocation of plumbing supplies, and arrest by the local police for drunken and disorderly conduct.  Nobody wants to call for any consequences, because they know it could very well be one of them and they all live in close proximity to each other and just want to go on with their lives without these stupid commie HOA meetings.

They have these large government apartment complexes all over the place built under Khrushchev that were only meant to last a few years with the 5 year plans.  Those were built in the 1950s and they're still littering all of Moscow to this day, as well as many other cities built after the war.  Plumbing is all rotted, large wood stoves with heating pipe batteries provide the heat with boiler room men, mailboxes are all torn out, outer window panes are broken on many of them, rust is everywhere...."Normal"

When living there, I had this ominous sense that not only had they never recovered from the 1917 Revolution and Russian Civil War, but they were never going to.  Learning more about the details of Chernobyl underlies that sad reality even more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely agree.

I don't think we are in any kind of disagreement. I was just emphasizing that Chernobyl was a symptom, not a cause.

They killed so much of their middle class during and after the Revolution that it is no surprise how fucked they are even to this day. You don't really recover from that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This show is fantastic. I was planning on ditching HBO after GoT but we're hanging onto it now. So good.
View Quote
And the Deadwood movie is coming soon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a female russian grad school physics prof in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my take...

The RBMK reactor was designed for non-enriched (natural) uranium, so had a large fuel volume. Water cooling through the fuel tubes with graphite moderation. Sound familiar? Yes, just like the US plutonium production reactors at Hanford, and the Soviet's initial plutonium production reactor which was based on stolen design of the US reactors. The Soviets were using the RBMK power reactors as distributed plutonium production. But the reactor design was not suitable for the operating demands of power production as the operating envelope just wasn't flexible enough.
Oh yeah that's a pretty commonly accepted thought.  The RBMK could be fuel cycled easier...maybe even while running?....not sure on that one... so it could be used for a breeder.  They said they used that design for cost reasons...maybe...but they at least liked the idea that it was a possible plutonium producer.   Objectively speaking, it's not up to par with western designs but run according to the operating procedures they are safe.    They are still running, 30 years later.

My take on it is that they shut off all the safeties and flew it into a mountain...metaphorically speaking.   They didn't melt it down...they blew it the fuck up.   It's tough to call it an accident, everything they did, they chose to do despite it being against the operating rules.   Negligence?  At least.   I've seen it called "a lack of safety culture"...I was a safety engineer...lack of safety culture doesn't cover it.   It was criminal negligence bordering on a crime against humanity.

Western reactors don't have the dangerous characteristics of the RBMK so I'm not sure you could blow up a Westinghouse BWR the same way...but put the backup gensets in the basement in a earthquake and tsunami zone and watch what happens.  They survived the one of the largest earthquakes and tsunamis in history only to melt down because the power went out and couldn't be restored fast enough.

What, so Northern Europe would be forced to buy Russian gas? Are you crazy?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my take...

The RBMK reactor was designed for non-enriched (natural) uranium, so had a large fuel volume. Water cooling through the fuel tubes with graphite moderation. Sound familiar? Yes, just like the US plutonium production reactors at Hanford, and the Soviet's initial plutonium production reactor which was based on stolen design of the US reactors. The Soviets were using the RBMK power reactors as distributed plutonium production. But the reactor design was not suitable for the operating demands of power production as the operating envelope just wasn't flexible enough.
Oh yeah that's a pretty commonly accepted thought.  The RBMK could be fuel cycled easier...maybe even while running?....not sure on that one... so it could be used for a breeder.  They said they used that design for cost reasons...maybe...but they at least liked the idea that it was a possible plutonium producer.   Objectively speaking, it's not up to par with western designs but run according to the operating procedures they are safe.    They are still running, 30 years later.

My take on it is that they shut off all the safeties and flew it into a mountain...metaphorically speaking.   They didn't melt it down...they blew it the fuck up.   It's tough to call it an accident, everything they did, they chose to do despite it being against the operating rules.   Negligence?  At least.   I've seen it called "a lack of safety culture"...I was a safety engineer...lack of safety culture doesn't cover it.   It was criminal negligence bordering on a crime against humanity.

Western reactors don't have the dangerous characteristics of the RBMK so I'm not sure you could blow up a Westinghouse BWR the same way...but put the backup gensets in the basement in a earthquake and tsunami zone and watch what happens.  They survived the one of the largest earthquakes and tsunamis in history only to melt down because the power went out and couldn't be restored fast enough.

That's some real retarded shit right there, bro.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend dated a woman that was from the area when the accident happened.  She had a host of serious medical issues.  I believe that she finally passed due to all the complications.

Although the death toll is stated as low, there were many deaths over time that were influenced by what happened.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it safe to say that the most significant event of the last century was Chernobyl?  Its only not-that significant to the world because it worked out.  If it hadn't?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is it safe to say that the most significant event of the last century was Chernobyl?  Its only not-that significant to the world because it worked out.  If it hadn't?
View Quote
Not even close. You have 2 World Ward to compete with on that front, dropping of 2 actual nukes, the fall of the USSR, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah a lot more than a dime's worth of U underwent fission. About a dimes worth of mass was converted into energy. Big difference.

I wont touch the GD bro science about "not understanding shit water does" or the spelling and grammar for that matter. All I can picture is ICP singing that Magnets song.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This discussion of the possible explosion they're trying to avoid as of the end of Ep 2 interests me, because  the truth is we still cannot understand some of the shit water does under extremely high temperature.

Remember those videos with thermite dripping through a bucket into ice?   The crazy guy on the hydrolic press youtube channel even did one on a frozen lake.  Pretty good sized explosions from a melt mass equal to maybe a few tablespoons of molten material at less than half the temperature of the Chernobyl melt.  And the guys of Mythbusters said no one knows wtf is happening, although there are some theories.   I think its a temporary confinement that lets water get into some sort of extreme superheated state followed by a BLEVE explosion.

When I was in college a girlfriend's roommate nearly blew up their kitchen putting full sized tea leaves into an old 50s style screw on lid teapot.   The leaves floated up and plugged the teaspout, and when the pressure got high enough it popped off the knob from the screw top letting the entire 3 or so cups of water instantly boil in the container.  It blew the top off like shrapnel, blew the vent hood off their kitchen stove, and shot bits of metal through the ceiling.    SHe said it sounded like dynamite.

No add in that there was zirconium from the fuel cladding in that melt, and that Zirconium is a catalyst for popping hydrogen and oxygen atoms apart at high tempurature so you can add a hydrogen explosion to the mix too.    It would not have been small, but not as large as supposed by the made-up scientist.

One thing that's most interesting is that the fallout from whatever sized explosion it would have been.   That was the bad part.

The little Uranium bomb we popped over Hiroshima had about 55 pounds of Uranium.    A mass equal to the dime in your pocket actually fissioned, the rest was just bathed for an instant in an insane neutron flux and them blown to pieces and spread.

Now, remember those fuel bundles at Chernobyl (they look like a cluster of rods) EACH have over 300 pounds of Uranium.   And there are like 1700 of those bundles  in the RBMK reactor type.    That is a whole lot of nuclear material, all angry and saturated with daughter nucleotide products from the fission that are insanely radioactive.  The amount of shit that could have gone airborne if that mass actually plopped into a relatively confined pool of water... yikes.
Still not going to get anywhere near what was stated with a steam / hydrogen / oxygen explosion..

And little boy had roughly 140 pounds of uranium.
Yeah a lot more than a dime's worth of U underwent fission. About a dimes worth of mass was converted into energy. Big difference.

I wont touch the GD bro science about "not understanding shit water does" or the spelling and grammar for that matter. All I can picture is ICP singing that Magnets song.
Less than two percent of the Hiroshima bomb's uranium actually detonated

In a recent interview on NPR's Fresh Air, author Eric Schlosser explains just how inefficient this early nuclear bomb was (skip to 11:13 in the recording).

In the case of Hiroshima, the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima was an incredibly crude and inefficient weapon. When it exploded, about 99 percent of the uranium that was supposed to undergo this chain reaction, didn't. It just blew apart in the air, and a very small percentage, maybe two percent of the fissile material, actually detonated. And most of it just became other radioactive elements. [. . .] Now to imagine how small an amount that is, seven-tenths of a gram of uranium is about the size of a peppercorn. Seven-tenths of a gram weighs less than a dollar bill. So even though this weapon was unbelievably inefficient, and almost 99 percent of the uranium had nothing to do with the destruction of Hiroshima, it was a catastrophic explosion.

https://gizmodo.com/less-than-2-of-the-uranium-in-the-hiroshima-bomb-actua-1624444762
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The woman scientist said 3-4 Megatons if I heard her correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The explosion would be closer to 3-5 megatons.
It could be at first they may have exaggerated the number given the amount of unknowns and fear.

Thare was a lot of water under the plant.
Water expands 1700 times when turned into steam.

Either way...most of Europe was on a brink of a total environmental disaster
The woman scientist said 3-4 Megatons if I heard her correctly.
Yeah, well, they also think "this" is 8 inches long too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You have to understand that the $235 billion number is completely made up by westerners. From their perspective, this was not a major event, it did not consume any major resources, the cost was a single RBMK core and a few lives and some equipment (trivial). They continued to operate the rest of the reactors at the plant and their nuclear program went on as if nothing had happened.

You are talking about a country that displaced or killed millions of its own people for little or no reason... routinely.

This was a MAJOR strategic win against the western economies for them long term. The short term economic losses for them were cheap. You have to understand how badly Germany and the UK have been crippled by the loss of their nuclear programs. Same with South Africa and Spain. It was an enormous blow.

Whats funnier is the Soviets didn't even pay for most of the cleanup. Westerners did. You are viewing this from the perspective of a capitalist who puts a monetary value on liability. That is laughable to the Soviet government. They had no liability.
View Quote
Dude just stop and exit the thread

You made your point. Nobody believes that you're anywhere near being right. Just take the hit and move on.

I'm not a "SME" I just want to discuss the fucking show and not have to sift over page long conspiracy theories
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Reviews from IMDB:

User Reviews

I highly recommend this film!
10 May 2019 | by natashapekar – See all my reviews
Hi. I'm from Kiev, Ukraine. I was born in 1983 and I was 2 and a half years when the Chernobyl catastrophe happened. I remember 1980s and I can tell that the authors of this film made a GREAT job to show every detail of what the world look for is in the times of Soviet union. The telephones, the clothes, the haircuts, the cracked paint on the window sills, even the door glass is similar to what I remember. There are couple of things which seemed weird to me: firefighters didn't have the red stars on their helmets, and most of the time people use the short forms of the names when they talk to each other (Vasya, not Vasiliy, Lyuda, not Lyudmila). But the most important thing that this film shows is that the soviet authoritiies lied to people about this catastrophe all the time. For example, in Kiev which is 130 km from Chernobyl, nobody knew about the high levels of radiation till the middle of May, they even held a parade on the first of May, when the level of radiation in Kiev was 100 times higher than normal (iodine131 isotope) and nobody gave us the iodine pills. Everyone who tried to tell the truth was called the provocateur and could even be fired from work. I highly recommend to watch this film. This is a tribute to all the heroes who lost their lives in a radioactive flame and saved all of us from death.

Unbelievable
alexander-phoenix14 May 2019
I'm Russian. Amazing work! Newer, you hear this, never ever before western cinematography made such authentic film. I speak about details: cars, kitchens, clothes...
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys are hilarious.

Well, are you?

Well, thank god you're out of the business. Stay on you meds, your sounding a bit "off" there.  And quit buying those paperback books at the gun shows.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm thinking the megaton level explosion and the visible ionization above the reactor in air are a little over the top but that's really picking nits...overall I think they've done a good job.
View Quote
I thought the same thing - it just looked really weird to me.  One of the eyewitnesses, a plant worker, claimed he saw a light from reactor 4 that looked like a laser shining up at the sky.  I recall seeing it in a documentary and don't think I could find it again...

After the graphite scene, I handed my wife a brick of soap from Duke Cannon to smell.  She freaked.  Thought I was handing her something radioactive.  She was really engrossed in the show.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Reviews from IMDB:

User Reviews

I highly recommend this film!
10 May 2019 | by natashapekar – See all my reviews
Hi. I'm from Kiev, Ukraine. I was born in 1983 and I was 2 and a half years when the Chernobyl catastrophe happened. I remember 1980s and I can tell that the authors of this film made a GREAT job to show every detail of what the world look for is in the times of Soviet union. The telephones, the clothes, the haircuts, the cracked paint on the window sills, even the door glass is similar to what I remember. There are couple of things which seemed weird to me: firefighters didn't have the red stars on their helmets, and most of the time people use the short forms of the names when they talk to each other (Vasya, not Vasiliy, Lyuda, not Lyudmila). But the most important thing that this film shows is that the soviet authoritiies lied to people about this catastrophe all the time. For example, in Kiev which is 130 km from Chernobyl, nobody knew about the high levels of radiation till the middle of May, they even held a parade on the first of May, when the level of radiation in Kiev was 100 times higher than normal (iodine131 isotope) and nobody gave us the iodine pills. Everyone who tried to tell the truth was called the provocateur and could even be fired from work. I highly recommend to watch this film. This is a tribute to all the heroes who lost their lives in a radioactive flame and saved all of us from death.

Unbelievable
alexander-phoenix14 May 2019
I'm Russian. Amazing work! Newer, you hear this, never ever before western cinematography made such authentic film. I speak about details: cars, kitchens, clothes...
View Quote
Wow, cool.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

First of all, it didn't kill 50k people and it sure as fuck didn't "kill a continent". Thats pure hyperbole and quite childish to say.

It killed a few dozen people. As far as industrial accidents go, the body count wasn't impressive.

Secondly, you don't know shit about the NKVD/KGB. You have no idea the evil they did. Its all public information now. Perhaps you should read more.
View Quote
I actually do know a lot about the KGB and NKVD.  I have an intelligence background and worked Soviet/Eurocom.  The NKVD became the MVD sometime in 1946 and became the KGB by the mid 1950s.

The NKVD had not actually existed for 40 years prior to the incident at the VI Lenin Nuclear Power Plant.

The KGB did not sabotage the Vladimir Illych Lenin Power Plant.  If they intended to sabotage a plant in order to cause chaos in the West, they would have sabotaged a plant in the territory of one of their fraternal socialist allies, for instance the Rheinsberg plant in the Deutsche Demokratische Republik.  Even the KGB weren't idiotic enough to contaminate large swaths of strategically important territory.

There are plenty of reasons they wouldn't have chosen the VI Lenin plant for this sort of activity.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Read more books, watch less cartoons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good first episode. It really illustrates how unprepared they were to deal with a nuclear disaster and how f-ed up it would be to deal with it. Things aren't much better now for any country dependent on nuclear power. Think Fukushima. Other than being upfront and honest with the public, dealing with a nuclear disaster is still going to be a horrifying lethal shit show. With all the nuclear facilities located in vulnerable areas in this country near high population areas, it's very possible we could experience our own nuclear disaster at some point.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Read more books, watch less cartoons.
Maybe you could work on your reading comprehension. All I’m saying is there are some older plants located in high population areas. Some are on the coastline or other vulnerable areas. Are you suggesting the US is totally immune to the possibility of a natural disaster, accident or terrorist action that could affect the nearby highly populated area? Just saying a large release of nuclear material is bad and the effects last a long time. Do you disagree? WTF does that have to do with cartoons? You sound like one of the totally in denial Russians in this series. Lol!
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The reason he resonates as such an authentic character is because those around him are all essentially British actors and he's the first "Russian" character on the show.

I'm wondering how intentional it is, as you almost seem to forget.

I like him though, the line about how he knows concrete and it's not burnt concrete. . . . beautiful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely agree.

The reason he resonates as such an authentic character is because those around him are all essentially British actors and he's the first "Russian" character on the show.

I'm wondering how intentional it is, as you almost seem to forget.

I like him though, the line about how he knows concrete and it's not burnt concrete. . . . beautiful
Almost forget?  I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm watching it now.  That's pure nightmare fuel.  Holy hell.
View Quote
It's like a Lovecraftian monster. One of the great old ones... Or "The Colour out of Space."
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that the fire fighters wife?  If so they have done an amazing job casting her.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not tracking how they got to a multiple mega ton explosion from the potential steam explosion in the bubbler pools.  Big and bad sure. Multiple times more radiation released..yeah. but I'm not seeing the yield of a multiple stage boosted fusion weapon.

When in the midst of the poo hitting the spinny thing it is always best to assume the worst and act accordingly.  But 3-4 megatons isn't happening without a nuclear detonation and I don't see how that would be possible.

Did it get lost in the translation of history, did the smart people in the room mean contamination equivalent to a 4 megaton explosion?  Or is there some scenario where a steam explosion could somehow be the catalyst for a nuclear detonation?
View Quote
My impression is she was equating how much radiation would be scattered into the environment to bomb size. I could be wrong though. Even a small steam explosion would have sent up another enormous radioactive plume, with contaminants equal to a 3MT range bomb.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As soon as they showed the PhD nuclear physics lady go to the fat bureaucrat's office, I could smell the BO.

If you've ever been over there, you know what I mean. Powerful, overwhelming armpit BO that will sucker punch your snot box with fury and not let off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Completely agree.

If you've ever been over there, you know what I mean. Powerful, overwhelming armpit BO that will sucker punch your snot box with fury and not let off.

That makes me miss my former engineering team.  Sure, it seems like an odd thing to get sentimental about, but, whatever.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep.  Do some reading on the way the Soviets talked about their ideal society at the time and in decades prior; it was quite egalitarian in theory and they liked to proclaim it as such.  Seeing a female in a scientific position like that wouldn't be particularly odd, IMO.

The producer may well have still made the part female because "muh strong woman" - there's a good chance that it's the case, I'd say, or maybe the production overlords demanded a female character because the cast was "too male dominated" or some such BS.

But at least the part doesn't strain credulity or peg the BS meter nearly as much as when it's shoehorned in for other stories.
View Quote
There were plenty of female scientists involved. Without her, the story is pretty much a sausage party. I'm in no way offended by her character, nor do I think it's feminism being "shoved down our throats."
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is that the fire fighters wife?  If so they have done an amazing job casting her.
View Quote
Yes Ludmilla Ignatenko
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was impressive what the soviets were able to do once they finally came to the realization of what had happened.
View Quote
They literally mobilized as they would for a war.

It was a front-line operation. They didn't care about niceties, if they needed something, they took it. They called up reserves, and made them bio-robots.

It truly was the Soviet Union's last great battle.

There's a campaign medal for serving as a "liquidator" during that time, that was given to them. Literally a "war" medal.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top