User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
because it's a brave new world of entitlement

only black actors can play black parts...and you have to be the right kind of black....not too light....according to black people
only handicapped actors can play handicap roles, according to handicap people

where will it end.  only dead people can play dead people?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand any of the science. The show is great. Why are people getting worked up over the accents of the actors?

only black actors can play black parts...and you have to be the right kind of black....not too light....according to black people

I think it's just more that a correct accent can add a little bit to the feeling of authenticity. People had the same complaint about Enemy at the Gates and Kevin Costner's lack of a Brit accent in Robin Hood, and neither of those movies are recent.

Personally I don't care that much, but if you can find a good actor with an authentic accent (not a shitty stereotypical Russian accent) that is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Playing fast and loose with the term nuclear explosion?

With all the factors involved, there were essentially hot spots of high neutron flux in the reactor that the operators couldn't see.  When they started to notice the instability in power output they knew something was wrong and they SCRAMed. The control rods were graphite tipped...I assume for some reliability reasons.  The graphite tips increased the moderation in the reactor, this allowed more neutrons to slow down enough to react with uranium fuel and cause fissions.

So basically they setup a scenario where the reactor or at least parts of it went prompt critical.  Conceptually similar to the demon core just 10000x bigger.   While not a nuclear detonation like a bomb..it is a rapid release of energy.   I think it took a few seconds to flash the cooling water to steam, I think the steam did most of the damage but it's pretty well documented that various amounts of damage occurred over the last several minutes of the reactors life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have been a multiple kiloton event that would have removed far more than the roof.
Playing fast and loose with the term nuclear explosion?

With all the factors involved, there were essentially hot spots of high neutron flux in the reactor that the operators couldn't see.  When they started to notice the instability in power output they knew something was wrong and they SCRAMed. The control rods were graphite tipped...I assume for some reliability reasons.  The graphite tips increased the moderation in the reactor, this allowed more neutrons to slow down enough to react with uranium fuel and cause fissions.

So basically they setup a scenario where the reactor or at least parts of it went prompt critical.  Conceptually similar to the demon core just 10000x bigger.   While not a nuclear detonation like a bomb..it is a rapid release of energy.   I think it took a few seconds to flash the cooling water to steam, I think the steam did most of the damage but it's pretty well documented that various amounts of damage occurred over the last several minutes of the reactors life.
Mathematical models say the core released 30,000 to 33,000 MW thermal, which is the power of a rocket engine, in a confined space, which i believe is the best way to describe the way the water boiled.

For anyone who wants to understand how hard it is to actually achieve a nuclear explosion, I recommend ya'll watch Kim Jon Un's favorite John Cusack movie: Fat Man and Little Boy, from 1989.

To have a nuclear detonation, you need to confine the chain reaction for at least a nano second to achieve a super-critical event, hence the use of conventional explosives to reduce a fissile core to the size of a walnut, increasing its density exponentially.
You can increase the yield of this fission reaction by keeping this mass together for a bit longer in a containment case and by adding by a Beryllium shell that adds neutrons to the event. Modern MIRV containment cases are made of DU, a neutron reflector, for this purpose.

In really gross metaphorical terms, a nuclear bomb would be a confined reaction like setting off all the powder in a .223 cartridge. What happened in Chernobyl was the equivalent of removing the powder from that .223 case and igniting it in a jar with the lid screwed on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Watch The Death of Stalin.  It has a mix of American, British, Irish actors all just speaking their parts in their normal voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIVchlt5E9Q
View Quote
Hank Kingsley
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't understand about 80% of this thread but I liked the first episode.
View Quote
"about" 80%?   Surely you mean exactly 87%?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah

The photo caption says that it was only able to be photographed via mirror. It was photographed in person, there is even a photograph of the person taking that photograph.

What's disturbing is that the graininess of the photo isn't due to poor film or development or even JPEG compression of this image (though it doesn't help). It's due to radiation bombardment of the film.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KxRuWaD0sXg/U7MHoNyBuiI/AAAAAAAAJhs/qyyqpQXmDQY/s1600/The+Elephant's+Foot+of+the+Chernobyl+disaster,+1986+(1).jpg
View Quote
that freaks me out
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand any of the science. The show is great. Why are people getting worked up over the accents of the actors?

As Robert Downey Jr. said: "Never go full retard".
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
just watched it, couldn't believe that communism was actually portrayed in a negative light
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Got hooked within the first episode. Man that instant radiation burn to that poor guy on the roof, being told/demanded to go check it out in person. Nyet Comrade Fomin, I quit!

Quoted:
My wife worked at the main Kiev hospital at that time and helped work on the injured as they were brought in. Yeah, she's got thyroid issues today.
She said that there was 1 - 2.5 cm of gray powder over everything outside for a week; not knowing what it was. Imagine standing in an inch of fallout while waiting for the bus to show up.

Curious if they showed the scene of the 2 engineers that dove into the blue glowing pool of water, knowing it was going to kill them in days, to close the valves to keep the water from causing a larger steam explosion. The book I read about this disaster said that those two men saved western Europe from being covered in the 'Dead Zone' levels of radiations.
View Quote
That episode still hasn't aired. So far in Episode 1 we're at the explosion and everyone is barely starting to realize just how bad it is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Those are proper British actors. Having a bunch of hollywood types running around speaking broken english with stereotypical Russian bad guy accents is stupid, especially when you want to convey the complexity and the technical aspects of this show's subject matter.
View Quote
kerri Russell would beg to differ comrade.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I only give it 6.5/10 because everyone speaks with a British accent. Its annoying as hell. They couldn't find any Russian/Ukraine actors?
View Quote
This.  I kept wondering what was up with the casting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are disappointed a pretty actress with a fake accent isn’t saying  “moose and squirrel”.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are disappointed a pretty actress with a fake accent isn't saying  "moose and squirrel".
View Quote
 give the viewers what they really want.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What was the graphite used for?
View Quote
The neutrons that get popped out when you split an atom are going really fast.  When they're going fast, the likelihood that they'll be captured by a uranium nucleus is very very low.  So in order to make a chain reaction sustainable, you have to slow down (moderate) the neutrons.  The slow neutron will stick to uranium.  The nucleus then gets unstable and fissions.

So the graphite in this reactor is used as a moderator.  Water is commonly used to do that in other designs.  The nice thing about a water moderator is that as it heats up, it gets less effective, so the whole process is stable, and it's difficult to get into a position where bad things get a running start.  Graphite used in this case doesn't have that natural negative feedback loop that would dampen things.  So it relies heavily on a computer to move rods around a lot to manage the power output.  With a water moderated reactor, you can sit back and for the most part just let the water do its thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My attempt at a 4th grade level explanation...  I may get some of the details wrong, but here's the gist of it....

The underlying thing here is xenon.  Xenon has a hunger for neutrons.  When it increases, it tends to drive power down.  One driving way you get xenon happens slowly (minutes-hours).  It  emerges when other things you've made splitting a uranium goes through a series of decays.  Xenon is reduced (slowly) by decay, and quickly when it catches a neutron (burn out).  During routine operations, it's best seen as casual movement of the rods until xenon reaches an equilibrium.

So when they set up for their low-power test by throttling down, the burn-out factor dropped away to next to nothing, and xenon rapidly built up because of the decay mechanism.  They then had some delays and that decay xenon started piling on hard, but still wanted to do the low-power test. So to keep power from dropping off to nothing, they started pulling rods out to try and stabilize it.  And more rods were pulled out.  The group of rods used to shut it down in an emergency ended up all the way out.

They'd blown through the initial conditions of the test, and were winging it.

As mentioned in a previous post, this is a HUGE core, and it's tough to see what's going on everywhere in it. With all the rods out, parts of the core got going which tipped the xenon scale--they were suddenly burning out the xenon in a big hurry which rapidly increased the reaction rate.  The scram group got sent down to stop all this, but it's grindingly slow.  And to pour gasoline on the fire, the bottom part of that group consisted of water.  The water worked as a moderator, and for a few moments (the only ones that counted in this obscure situation) made the fission-rich condition much worse.

To sum up:  they'd built this giant xenon obstruction, and gotten the rods way the hell out to try to counter it.  And then the xenon get eaten up in matter of moments.

And that's basically how it went up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The part that got me was when the neighbors were going out to a bridge to get a better view of the fire and it seemed all they knew of the potential danger was what friends/relatives that were janitors or plumbers and such had eluded to and not much of that......Pretty much everything to do with the plant was a "state secret" and nobody wanted to be sent to a work camp.

The whole deal was a horror show.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BBC seems to be okay with black actors playing English kings and queens in Shakespeare's plays.

How would they feel about a white dude playing a Zulu king?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Watch The Death of Stalin.  It has a mix of American, British, Irish actors all just speaking their parts in their normal voices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only give it 6.5/10 because everyone speaks with a British accent. Its annoying as hell. They couldn't find any Russian/Ukraine actors?
Ya know what’s even more annoying?

Listening to bad actors speak with heavy accents just for the sake of “authenticity”

Half decent filmmakers have figured out that getting quality actors is far more important than getting an accent right, and it’s better to skip the accent than to force a shitty fake one.
Yeah, and fake Russian accents aren't authentic anyway.

Either have the actors speak normally or speak Russian with subtitles.

I liked Death of Stalin. The lack of accents or Russian was fine to me.

Subtitles are cool too.

It's like, in Russia, are they going to watch a movie with English accented Russian? Is that a thing?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I liked Death of Stalin. The lack of accents or Russian was fine to me.

Subtitles are cool too.

It's like, in Russia, are they going to watch a movie with English accented Russian? Is that a thing?
View Quote
Overdubs.

One of the perks of being the only real superpower, most of the TV and movies is in our language and we can even quibble about what accents we prefer. The rest of the world gets overdubs or subtitles
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Ordered to go outside and look at an exposed melted down RBMK ?

Yeah. I’ll try and take that AK off the guard and shoot as many of those idiots in charge as I can ...
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-volunteers-divers-nuclear-mission-2016-4

"Definitively, Leatherbarrow said, none of the men died of ARS. The shift supervisor died of a heart attack in 2005.
(Leatherbarrow attributes this to a mix-up with an employee with the same surname who did succumb to ARS.)"
View Quote
Yeah I read leatherbarrows book.  I know there was a lot of soviet propaganda around chernobyl, and maybe the divers are part of that but his book struck me as his opinion on a lot of things.   Maybe it's more accurate than the "truth" that is popular.  But things like "yeah, they're still alive but one has the same name as someone who died, and the other I lost track of and the third doesn't want his name out there.."  I don't know seems a little sketchy.

The popular divers story will make better television for sure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ordered to go outside and look at an exposed melted down RBMK ?

Yeah. I’ll try and take that AK off the guard and shoot as many of those idiots in charge as I can ...
View Quote
It would be the view of a lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck. I bet it was.   At that point do you go fast and try to survive or savor the view in the hope that 20Sv is enough to make it quick?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuck. I bet it was.   At that point do you go fast and try to survive or savor the view in the hope that 20Sv is enough to make it quick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you've got witnesses who are likely to survive, guess it would be mega epic to leap out and launch into a half gainer into the core.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you've got witnesses who are likely to survive, guess it would be mega epic to leap out and launch into a half gainer into the core.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AK, swan dive, i can think of a whole bunch of better ways to go out than radiation poisoning...
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah I read leatherbarrows book.  I know there was a lot of soviet propaganda around chernobyl, and maybe the divers are part of that but his book struck me as his opinion on a lot of things.   Maybe it's more accurate than the "truth" that is popular.  But things like "yeah, they're still alive but one has the same name as someone who died, and the other I lost track of and the third doesn't want his name out there.."  I don't know seems a little sketchy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-volunteers-divers-nuclear-mission-2016-4

"Definitively, Leatherbarrow said, none of the men died of ARS. The shift supervisor died of a heart attack in 2005.
(Leatherbarrow attributes this to a mix-up with an employee with the same surname who did succumb to ARS.)"

President of Ukraine gave the two living ones awards a few years back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The text on the photo is wrong. Not that the elephants foot isn't bad mind you, but whats on there is hyperbolic to say the least.
View Quote
6 feet wide and how far down?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Get out of here, Stalker!  

There ought to be a movie or series based on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.  Or at least a remake / reboot of the 1979 movie.
View Quote
Yep.  Whatever happened to Stalker 2?  Got cancelled?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah

The photo caption says that it was only able to be photographed via mirror. It was photographed in person, there is even a photograph of the person taking that photograph.

What's disturbing is that the graininess of the photo isn't due to poor film or development or even JPEG compression of this image (though it doesn't help). It's due to radiation bombardment of the film.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KxRuWaD0sXg/U7MHoNyBuiI/AAAAAAAAJhs/qyyqpQXmDQY/s1600/The+Elephant's+Foot+of+the+Chernobyl+disaster,+1986+(1).jpg
View Quote
Bet he died from cancer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Overdubs.

One of the perks of being the only real superpower, most of the TV and movies is in our language and we can even quibble about what accents we prefer. The rest of the world gets overdubs or subtitles
View Quote
lol.  you're not wrong.
 but I was just reading an article about how the film industry has a much higher profit margin (due to lower ad costs) in China than they do with the same movie title domestically.  their only problem is getting MORE content into the country - to increase profits --  so if that happens, you'll quickly see US productions making films specifically for the Chinese market, and I would expect the English to be overdubbed.   Wait for it.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#31]
about to check it out now
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
*poof*
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Iv been waiting for this show to start. Crazy event that killed untold numbers of people. I saw a youtube documentary that said of the 500k military personnel sent to help contain the situation 40% were dead in 20 years and another 40% were completely disabled. I guess the worst case scenero  was another explosion that would have made Europe entirely uninhabitable. Can you imagine that, no more Europe.

They sacrificed a lot of pilots dropping sand bags and lead on top of the reactor.

I wonder what NATO would have done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#34]
In the preview they show what looks like a beam of Cherenkov radiation coming like a beacon from the hole in the roof. Was that accurate?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
How many of you were stationed in Europe when it happened?  I was in Northern Germany and things were fucked up for a while.  First we went on the highest level of alert, we had all the Bradleys, M1's, Howitzers, everything was loaded for war and lined up at the front gate of our base.  I don't remember how long we were on alert but it was a long time.  We took turns cycling through the chow hall and sleeping in our vehicles.  Rumors were flying that there had been a nuke.
Finally when things calmed down and we came off of alert then we had to go through the bullshit of no fresh milk, eggs, veggies, etc.  The commissary and local stores had bare shelves except for boxed and canned goods.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Iv been waiting for this show to start. Crazy event that killed untold numbers of people. I saw a youtube documentary that said of the 500k military personnel sent to help contain the situation 40% were dead in 20 years and another 40% were completely disabled. I guess the worst case scenero  was another explosion that would have made Europe entirely uninhabitable. Can you imagine that, no more Europe.

They sacrificed a lot of pilots dropping sand bags and lead on top of the reactor.

View Quote
Chernobyl. Helicopter crashes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are proper British actors. Having a bunch of hollywood types running around speaking broken english with stereotypical Russian bad guy accents is stupid, especially when you want to convey the complexity and the technical aspects of this show's subject matter.
Felicity? Really? Niet comrade tavarich hammet. She is "pozhilaya zhenshchina", in other words, like babushka, but with very high mileage. Like throwing agurchiki picke down hallway. We prefer the angliski. Very kulturny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In the preview they show what looks like a beam of Cherenkov radiation coming like a beacon from the hole in the roof. Was that accurate?
View Quote
Maybe for a few seconds immediately after the explosion, but I don't think there'd be enough steam density above the reactor to maintain visible Cerenkov glow much beyond the first few seconds.  Maybe visible in some long exposure photos for some meaningful time after the blast, but nobody had that capability at the time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are pics somewhere of fields littered with aircraft and armored vehicles that are still hot from dropping sandbags and hauling stuff to the reactor
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Built the reactor in a containment building.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How many of you were stationed in Europe when it happened?  I was in Northern Germany and things were fucked up for a while.  First we went on the highest level of alert, we had all the Bradleys, M1's, Howitzers, everything was loaded for war and lined up at the front gate of our base.  I don't remember how long we were on alert but it was a long time.  We took turns cycling through the chow hall and sleeping in our vehicles.  Rumors were flying that there had been a nuke.
Finally when things calmed down and we came off of alert then we had to go through the bullshit of no fresh milk, eggs, veggies, etc.  The commissary and local stores had bare shelves except for boxed and canned goods.
View Quote
Bitburg USAF

I remember immediately thinking that the Russians were fucking up by the numbers, as usual.  Then I started to worry about my family, my wife and two little sons were there with me.  We lived off base, the Germans pulled all the meat, milk, produce, etc out of the stores.  While the US Commisary on base had plenty of everything, and the Air Force was saying officially that there was no danger, but turn on the German TV news and they showed us in the projected fallout area.  What a clusterfuck.  Thankfully I was trained in NBC decontamination and had some idea of what was going on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#42]
It's not that the British accents bother me I'm just curious how they came to that consensus. .
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#43]
????????, ????????!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
, !
View Quote
How many video games took place in pripyat over the years.  I can hear it and if you hear the recordings of the actual announcement it's kinda creepy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Finished ep1.

Like it so far
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many video games took place in pripyat over the years.  I can hear it and if you hear the recordings of the actual announcement it's kinda creepy.
View Quote
I’m pretty sure I could navigate it from playing COD
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure I could navigate it from playing COD
View Quote
loved that map. its also what turned me onto studying the accident and i have been fascinated with it ever since.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#48]
holy shit this is a horror flick
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm watching the first episode now.

Stupid fucking Russians. Soviet Socialism will save us!

Too bad there were survivors.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can't complain about the first episode......Damn what those guys walked into and the Soviets trying to cover it up within the first hour of the disaster defies description.
View Quote
In the show...nobody tried to cover anything up, initially.  The boss of the plant was trying to downplay everything (and was in denial) to the local party members--and later to the big bosses who showed up.
Nobody really tried to cover anything up until that old geezer stood up and told them to cut the phone lines and shit.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top