BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When the fire fighter picked up the chunk of graphite with the fuel channel in it I just said "that's bad". What's the reason they tasted metal?  Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?  I got a wiff of muratic acid once and my mouth tasted like a battery.
View Quote
Just a guess but there was all kinds of crap in the air..could have been any number of things.   Strong ionizing radiation was also probably making neat compounds in the air, kind of like combustion..1+1 can equal 3.

Or just plain old radiation damage directly to taste buds/mucus membranes.  Could just be the taste of your own cells being wrecked.  Vision changes, nausea, diharerra; tingling extremities, blood pressure changes..maybe metallic taste..all directly the result of radiation damage to various body systems.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely love this stuff. I spent 5 years designing the new AP1000 plants. Likely to only see 2 reactors built out of 8 planned through.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When the fire fighter picked up the chunk of graphite with the fuel channel in it I just said “that’s bad”. What’s the reason they tasted metal?  Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?  I got a wiff of muratic acid once and my mouth tasted like a battery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“What does the levels read?”

“3.6... but only because the machine tops out at...”

“Good. Good! 3.6 isn’t great but it ain’t terrible.”
Don't forget "I have reported to Moscow that the level is 3.6, situation is under control"

Meanwhile the 1000R/hr meter is locked in the safe.

And we'll just ignore the core fragments scattered across the lawn....
When the fire fighter picked up the chunk of graphite with the fuel channel in it I just said “that’s bad”. What’s the reason they tasted metal?  Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?  I got a wiff of muratic acid once and my mouth tasted like a battery.
I believe it's due to a large dose of radiation to the tongue.  If so, "Do you taste metal?" would be nuclear-disasterese for "I'm probably going to die a horrifying death over the next few days, or maybe weeks if I'm unlucky."
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is thankfully limited experience with human exposure to extreme levels of radiation, but there have been a few. The metallic taste is something that has been reported with most of the events, I don't know if the reason is really understood. The victims of the Japanese criticality accident reported it, and that was liquid solutions so not necessarily metal vapor in the air or anything like that. Although I would suspect that there was some of the core material metals that were vaporized and that deposited on the graphite and other debris at Chernobyl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the fire fighter picked up the chunk of graphite with the fuel channel in it I just said “that’s bad”. What’s the reason they tasted metal?  Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?
There is thankfully limited experience with human exposure to extreme levels of radiation, but there have been a few. The metallic taste is something that has been reported with most of the events, I don't know if the reason is really understood. The victims of the Japanese criticality accident reported it, and that was liquid solutions so not necessarily metal vapor in the air or anything like that. Although I would suspect that there was some of the core material metals that were vaporized and that deposited on the graphite and other debris at Chernobyl.
Thanks. I’m sure it has something to do with the electro chemistry of how taste buds work (ions in solution) with ionization wreaking havoc on that electrochemistry. But I’m just educated guessing.

Another science question, the show has folks looking sun burned when exposed. How realistic is that and what’s the reason?  Is it super high dose of UV, or just radiation fucking up cells/capillaries.

If you’re exposed to gamma, do you “burn”?  As in thermal damage to tissue?  Or is it just fucking your cells up so much that blood rushes to “heal” tissue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any way we could get a human test subject and expose them to similar levels of radiation so we can see how accurate the show is? What kind of hoops would you have to jump thru do get that done?
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there any way we could get a human test subject and expose them to similar levels of radiation so we can see how accurate the show is? What kind of hoops would you have to jump thru do get that done?
View Quote
Whatever hoops one has to jump to to become a totalitarian dictator of a country with nuclear technology.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'm sure it has something to do with the electro chemistry of how taste buds work (ions in solution) with ionization wreaking havoc on that electrochemistry. But I'm just educated guessing.

Another science question, the show has folks looking sun burned when exposed. How realistic is that and what's the reason?  Is it super high dose of UV, or just radiation fucking up cells/capillaries.

If you're exposed to gamma, do you "burn"?  As in thermal damage to tissue?  Or is it just fucking your cells up so much that blood rushes to "heal" tissue.
View Quote
The beta particles that are a form of radiation can cause a sunburn like effect. So it could be that or it could be extreme doses of gamma and xray that are causing damage to the skin in short order.

Cancer patients receiving radiation treatments often suffer damage to tissues exposed during the treatments both the skin and various internal structures..similar mechanism I suspect
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Whatever hoops one has to jump to to become a totalitarian dictator of a country with nuclear technology.
View Quote
It sounds like our best bet is to get Dennis Rodman in touch with Kim.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. I’m sure it has something to do with the electro chemistry of how taste buds work (ions in solution) with ionization wreaking havoc on that electrochemistry. But I’m just educated guessing.

Another science question, the show has folks looking sun burned when exposed. How realistic is that and what’s the reason?  Is it super high dose of UV, or just radiation fucking up cells/capillaries.

If you’re exposed to gamma, do you “burn”?  As in thermal damage to tissue?  Or is it just fucking your cells up so much that blood rushes to “heal” tissue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the fire fighter picked up the chunk of graphite with the fuel channel in it I just said “that’s bad”. What’s the reason they tasted metal?  Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?

Radiation”sunburn”
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radiation”sunburn”
Reaction to exposure to extremely high radiation dose...

Beta burns were a serious medical issue for some victims of the Chernobyl disaster; from 115 patients treated in Moscow, 30% had burns covering 10–50% of body surface, 11% were affected on 50–100% of skin; the massive exposure was often caused by clothes drenched with radioactive water. Some firefighters suffered beta burns of lungs and nasopharyngeal region after inhalation of massive amounts of radioactive smoke. Out of 28 deaths, 16 had skin injuries listed among the causes. The beta activity was extremely high, with beta/gamma ratio reaching 10–30 and beta energy high enough to damage basal layer of the skin, resulting in large area portals for infections, exacerbated by damage to bone marrow and weakened immune system. Some patients received skin dose of 400–500 Gy.
Chernobyl is probably the only example of this kind of human exposure to beta radiation.  At that kind of dose there would be immediate affects as if it was a heat burn. Electron beams are used in industrial settings for heating things, drying paint and ink, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chernobyl is probably the only example of this kind of human exposure to beta radiation.  At that kind of dose there would be immediate affects as if it was a heat burn. Electron beams are used in industrial settings for heating things, drying paint and ink, stuff like that.
View Quote
If you see immediate effects is it safe to assume it was a fatal dose?
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Radiation”sunburn”

Beta burns were a serious medical issue for some victims of the Chernobyl disaster; from 115 patients treated in Moscow, 30% had burns covering 10–50% of body surface, 11% were affected on 50–100% of skin; the massive exposure was often caused by clothes drenched with radioactive water. Some firefighters suffered beta burns of lungs and nasopharyngeal region after inhalation of massive amounts of radioactive smoke. Out of 28 deaths, 16 had skin injuries listed among the causes. The beta activity was extremely high, with beta/gamma ratio reaching 10–30 and beta energy high enough to damage basal layer of the skin, resulting in large area portals for infections, exacerbated by damage to bone marrow and weakened immune system. Some patients received skin dose of 400–500 Gy.
I see. So it was beta that did the “sun burn”. Gamma was up in there wreaking cell walls, chromosomes and shit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on the effects. So no. The human body is surprisingly rugged. Beta burns, vomiting, weakness, diarrhea all signs of a dose that might be survivable. Unfortunately they can also be signs of a dose that destroyed your bone marrow, fried your digestive tract and shattered your DNA.

The doses that aren't survivable are the ones that destroy chromosomes and marrow wholesale instead of retail.  Most of the other effects can be survivable with intense supportive care.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Any of you guys with Xfinity cable, there's a free on-demand documentary that goes into quite a bit of detail. It's called "Chernobyl Disaster, As We Watched"
There is a very slight anti-nuclear bent in places but it's otherwise pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Just watched the first episode last night, and spent much of today reading this thread and diving into the rabbit hole that is youtube.  Fascinating stuff!

Thanks to those knowledgeable posters for filling in the holes...
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The beta particles that are a form of radiation can cause a sunburn like effect. So it could be that or it could be extreme doses of gamma and xray that are causing damage to the skin in short order.

Cancer patients receiving radiation treatments often suffer damage to tissues exposed during the treatments both the skin and various internal structures..similar mechanism I suspect
View Quote
Beta particles for those that don't know are just electrons and positrons (a pair are emitted).

Alpha particles are helium nuclei, iirc with no electrons.

Gamma rays are just very high energy photons.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any of you guys with Xfinity cable, there's a free on-demand documentary that goes into quite a bit of detail. It's called "Chernobyl Disaster, As We Watched"
There is a very slight anti-nuclear bent in places but it's otherwise pretty good.
View Quote
The anti-nuclear bent is a bit more than slight IMHO, but still a good watch. Thanks for posting this.

The wikipedia page says 28 direct deaths and 15 estimated indirect deaths from Chernobyl. In this documentary they mention thousands of deaths. I think the truth is somewhere in-between but the middle ground between thousands and 15 is still north of a thousand.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
loss of consciousness is usually a fair indicator of a fatal dose. Though time until death can vary pretty substantially.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
HOLY SHIT

FYI: 1 Gray = 1 Joule/kg absorbed = 100 rad absorbed
(in the show they often use Roentgen (R) where 1 R works out to about 1 rad absorbed dose)

Mortality due to Whole Body Absorbed Dose WITHOUT Medical Treatment:
1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-95%
6-8 Gy ... 95-100%
8-30 Gy ... 100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

Mortality due to Whole Body Absorbed Dose WITH Intensive Medical Care:
1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-50%
6-8 Gy ... 50-100%
8-30 Gy ... 99-100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

What strikes me as odd is (even though they were initially wildly mistaken about the source of radiation) the nonchalant manner in which they were like, "Oh you've just been around leaking feed water... that's all. You'll be fine, just go to medical. We've all seen worse. All this radiation is just from leaking feedwater no need to wake or notify anyone. Only 3.6 roentgen... are you a pussy or something?"

LOL WUT? RBMK leaking feedwater is NORMAL and being around it unprotected is no big deal!?!
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
HOLY SHIT

(in the show they often use roentgen where 1 R works out to about 1 rad absorbed dose)

1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-95%
6-8 Gy ... 95-100%
8-30 Gy ... 100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-50%
6-8 Gy ... 50-100%
8-30 Gy ... 99-100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

What strikes me as odd is (even though they were initially wildly mistaken about the source of radiation) the nonchalant manner in which they were like, "Oh you've just been around leaking feed water... that's all. You'll be fine, just go to medical. We've all seen worse. All this radiation is just from leaking feedwater no need to wake or notify anyone. Only 3.6 roentgen... are you a pussy or something?"

LOL WUT? RBMK leaking feedwater is NORMAL and being around it unprotected is no big deal!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HOLY SHIT

(in the show they often use roentgen where 1 R works out to about 1 rad absorbed dose)

1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-95%
6-8 Gy ... 95-100%
8-30 Gy ... 100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

1-2 Gy ... 0-5%
2-6 Gy ... 5-50%
6-8 Gy ... 50-100%
8-30 Gy ... 99-100%
>30 Gy ... 100%

Apparently Dyatlov(the 3.6 not terrible guy) had already received radiation poisoning on a previous work site.

I'm guessing the Soviets didn't care about OSHA safety standards.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the reason they tasted metal? Ionization in their mouth or just metals in the air?
View Quote
It's probably the radiation stimulating the nerves in their tongue.  At high enough rates, you can feel pinpricks on your skin from the nervous stimulation.  Even at relatively low rates, you'll see retina stimulation with your eyelids closed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I absolutely love this stuff. I spent 5 years designing the new AP1000 plants. Likely to only see 2 reactors built out of 8 planned through.
View Quote
I've been reading about the AP1000 plants, they look really promising upgrades to the current Gen II/II+ we're currently using.

Its a shame the plants scheduled for the US never materialized.

What are your thoughts on the AP1000 - how does it stack up to the other alternative plant designs that are out there?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Been fascinated with the Chernobyl incident for years, and was looking forward to seeing this show.  I don't have HBO, but the first episode was available 'on demand' and I watched it earlier.   Interesting take on what transpired, during the accident....those operators should have dragged Dyatlov over to the reactor, and tossed his ass in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's probably the radiation stimulating the nerves in their tongue.  At high enough rates, you can feel pinpricks on your skin from the nervous stimulation.  Even at relatively low rates, you'll see retina stimulation with your eyelids closed.
View Quote
There is actually an app for android phones that claims it's a radiation detector...the eyelid closed retinal stimulation reminded me.  You have to totally black out the lens..think electrical tape.  Then it counts the flashes of..must be gamma effecting the sensor. Alpha wouldn't get through the tape or case..beta maybe as well?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Ep 2 just started
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've been reading about the AP1000 plants, they look really promising upgrades to the current Gen II/II+ we're currently using.

What are your thoughts on the AP1000 - how does it stack up to the other alternative plant designs that are out there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a cool link to a bunch of hi-res cutaway drawings of various reactor designs:

https://econtent.unm.edu/digital/collection/nuceng/search/field/all/mode/all/conn/and/display/200/order/subjec/ad/asc?utm_content=buffer6bf12&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

When it comes to to water reactor designs I was a fan of the ESBWR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Been fascinated with the Chernobyl incident for years, and was looking forward to seeing this show.  I don't have HBO, but the first episode was available 'on demand' and I watched it earlier.   Interesting take on what transpired, during the accident....those operators should have dragged Dyatlov over to the reactor, and tossed his ass in.
View Quote
In Soviet Russia you do what you're told or you end up breaking rocks in Siberia.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
i can't believe EVERYBODY died!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or will, eventually

the in-laws are here so i can't watch
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Ep 2 really interesting so far.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Episode 2 ending was INTENSE!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Did the lights go out because of shit ruskie technology / qc or did radiation toast the batteries?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Episode 2 ending was INTENSE!
View Quote
Yeah.

I'm ecstatic they gave those 3 a major part of this episode. How that ended... holy shit. I couldn't think of many circumstances that would be more terrifying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did the lights go out because of shit ruskie technology / qc or did radiation toast the batteries?
View Quote
Implied radiation ruined it, but that was weapons grade nightmare fuel right there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Answer: D - All of the above
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was the rads.

Consider it this way:   A battery holds electrical potential because there's a reaction that wants to create a flow of electrons.   But the potential is separated by the terminals, and normally flows through the load.

Ionizing radiation creates paths for passage of electrons other than from the positive terminal to the negative one.    Its the basic principle, by the way, of Americium based smoke detectors.  Those have a beam of rads that flow through an air gap, ionizing the air molecules which allows an electronic charge to flow between two conductors as if a wire were there. (The smoke detector "detects" smoke when particles of smoke block the radiation, which impedes the ionizing of the air and interrupts the flow of that voltage.   At any rate, back to the batteries... the high radiation shorts out the battery from the inside.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I swear I was on the edge of my seat the entirety of  episode two.....HBO knocked this one out of the park.

When they told Gorbachev the impact of the "lava" hitting the full water tanks it's just hard to fathom even so many years later.

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I swear I was on the edge of my seat the entirety of  episode two.....HBO knocked this one out of the park.

When they told Gorbachev the impact of the "lava" hitting the full water tanks it's just hard to fathom even so many years later.

https://i.imgflip.com/30w8fn.jpg
View Quote
For something out of Hollywood, I'm impressed that they haven't been pulling many punches in terms of the Rooskie's stupidity, especially suppression of information etc., related to the situation.

And also fair:   Because the men the volunteered to go into that soup of liquid contamination were brave men, and just like the old men who volunteered to do high dose work at Fukishima because they were beyond child rearing years, the things needed to be done.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Very good episode.  I'm so used to binging shows that it's hard to wait a week for new ones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#41]
With all the SJW bullshit these days are we really supposed to believe a woman muscled her way through security zones and single handedly saved the situation? It's cool if she really did, but Hollywood's agenda has me second guessing everything these days. The guy that finally gets to the valve that diverts the water in the next episode will probably be a black transgender rusky.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Holy mackerel.  The ending of the second episode, dude.

So many people are just total monsters and studs in this series.  You can really see and feel how the true gravity of the situation hits Legasov and later on Shcherbina.  Legasov knew things were fucked up all along, but Shcherbina had the party blinders on, like the "This is fine" meme with the dog sitting in the burning room.  It wasn't until he actually got to Chernobyl that the reality hit him like a ton of bricks.  

He sure as hell didn't waste any time flinging Bryukhanov and Fomin under the bus, but Commies gonna Commie I guess.
View Quote
When Legasov told him he would be dead in five years that turned the trick. Having your death sentence pronounced to you in such a way is bound to have the sobering effect that the shit just got real.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Did i hear those estimates of the steam explosion right?  Thought she said like 9 megatons,  there is no way a steam explosion could do that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
With all the SJW bullshit these days are we really supposed to believe a woman muscled her way through security zones and single handedly saved the situation? It's cool if she really did, but Hollywood's agenda has me second guessing everything these days. The guy that finally gets to the valve that diverts the water in the next episode will probably be a black transgender rusky.
View Quote
Emily Watsons character is a fictionalized composite character.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, made-up woman.

https://meaww.com/hbo-chernobyl-emilty-watson-spoiler-scientists-ulana-valery-legasov
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I like how it's a nuclear emergency and the nuclear scientists in Minsk won't come in because it's Saturday.

Such patriots!

Communism: bringing out the worst in people since 1917.

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#47]
That ending.

Shiiiiiiiit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, made-up woman.

https://meaww.com/hbo-chernobyl-emilty-watson-spoiler-scientists-ulana-valery-legasov
Neither Hollywood nor the BBC produces the facts anymore. It's all about gender and identity politics.

God forbid the majority of good shit and good deeds came from white men.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Neither Hollywood nor the BBC produces the facts anymore. It's all about gender and identity politics.

View Quote
From the article:   "Although Watson's character is fictional, it represents a powerful and resonating truth."

Fuck's sake.

I remember when news media used to take OFFENSE when bloggers accused them of "fake but true to the narrative" story telling.

Now they take pride in it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, made-up woman.

Holy shit. At worst I thought they might have embellished her character a little, not made it up completely. And then to give a fictional character the solution to the problem the old white male idiots couldn't solve. Just wow. Good show otherwise, lol.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top