Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/29/2023 10:14:36 AM EDT
Need to quit screwing around and buy some gear that will make my firearms more usable in a SHTF scenario.  Looking for a "chest rig".  Nothing fancy, just need a way to carry extra rifle/pistol mags and other stuff.  Can I get anything decent for $200 or less?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Esstac

I ordered his Trimmed Bush in multicam. Planning to put together an Enhanced belt setup next.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Is esstac usa made? Looking online I found a handful of their mag pouches are, but no info is given on the chest rigs
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got the Mayflower UW Chest Rig Gen IV from Spiritus. It fits good, holds 4 AR mags, and a handful of general pouches.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Surplus TAP - $60 new for a coyote USMC surplus.
Spiritus Systems harness - $50
Spiritus Systems back strap - $12
Extra buckles to retrofit the harness and back strap $5 for 4.

Or spend a little more and get the full upgrade kit for a kick ass rig: Spiritus Systems TAP upgrade kit. - $150

I got w/ @stoner63a to make some better side buckles and this might now be my favorite chest rig:

Cut the flaps and got some kydex inserts off Amazon. Also have bungee retention:

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Mayflower Gen IV

Comfy, holds a lot of shit, unused pockets don't get in the way, and no molle to dick with so you aren't screwing with pouch setup for eternity.

4 mag slots, and two radio pockets that can also hold two more mags each.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty nice stuff so far...
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#9]
The new Trex Arms chest rig will be the next one I try.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/t-rex-quad-flap-chest-rig/

I like my Haley DC3MX....... or whatever the hell its called. But all chest rigs have upsides and downsides.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mayflower Gen IV

Comfy, holds a lot of shit, unused pockets don't get in the way, and no molle to dick with so you aren't screwing with pouch setup for eternity.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504436/Battle_Belt_Final_jpg-3008409.JPG
View Quote

That setup looks nice.  Any info on the belt?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is esstac usa made? Looking online I found a handful of their mag pouches are, but no info is given on the chest rigs
View Quote

Yes all US made and the owner is a member here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pretty nice stuff so far...
View Quote

Good deals to be had if you're patient in the Chest Rig board in the EE, too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the Haley strategic during Black Friday. It will probably go for $150. It’s very comfy and has what you need and some extra room for ya. I enjoy that it has 4 pistol magazine holders. It’s comfy too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get the Haley strategic during Black Friday. It will probably go for $150. It’s very comfy and has what you need and some extra room for ya. I enjoy that it has 4 pistol magazine holders. It’s comfy too.
View Quote

Thanks.  I keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Esstac

I ordered his Trimmed Bush in multicam. Planning to put together an Enhanced belt setup next.
View Quote

This is best choice, imo, but if you want, you can buy something off EE and try to piece it together. That’s what I did.

Today? I’d buy premade. @esstac is a member here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]
OP are you looking for a dedicated chest rig, or a placard system that also connects into your plate carrier?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mayflower Gen IV

Made it myself with berry compliant material, and a very old Singer I refurbished. Holster is a KT Mech Akela.

I stole design ideas from all over the place

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're not jumping out of helicopters on a regular basis, I have a couple of Condor chest rigs that have held up very well during classes.
I would suggest their bare MOLLE chest rig then pick up whatever pouches/mag carriers you want so you can experiment w/placement to determine what best suits your needs.

Condor Bare MOLLE Chest Rig

Condor Modular Pouches
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Agilite is my go to and I love the K19 but if you buy Agilite buy the K-Zero it’s the shit with the stiffer cummerbund they sell
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you're not jumping out of helicopters on a regular basis, I have a couple of Condor chest rigs that have held up very well during classes.
I would suggest their bare MOLLE chest rig then pick up whatever pouches/mag carriers you want so you can experiment w/placement to determine what best suits your needs.
View Quote

This is what I did. Figured out what setup worked best, and eventually got an Esstac rig with the same configuration.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a couple Spiritus rigs, I like them a lot.  When you ad the wing expanders they are pretty versatile.  I just added a Ferro ATAK chest mount to this as well to keep it off the belly area.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#23]
If you can find one on the EE, UW Gear makes some great rigs that are super simple and bombproof. Everything you need, nothing you don’t.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Ferro concepts, might be a little more than 200.00 completed… Haley also makes a nice one D3CR Heavy is in your price range

My 5.56 / 7.62 setup
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]
OST
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I went with the Mayflower rig. One quick note Trex arms makes a back strap for these modular chest rigs that is adjustable and more elastic making running these types easier over a slick plate carrier and taking the slop out in general. You can also direct attach most of the new rigs to a carrier and the back strap will keep the outer pockets from flapping. Something to keep in mind if you decide on grabbing armor etc later or want a more comfortable rig.

Trex back strap
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP are you looking for a dedicated chest rig, or a placard system that also connects into your plate carrier?
View Quote

Just a rig for now.  Armor later.  I have a budget/mortgage/wife and two teen daughters lol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just a rig for now.  Armor later.  I have a budget/mortgage/wife and two teen daughters lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’ll do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good deals to be had if you're patient in the Chest Rig board in the EE, too.
View Quote

+1 on trying the EE. I ended up with a (mostly) Shellback Tactical setup, but if I were to do it all again today I'd go with USGI surplus and/or Esstac.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Esstac

View Quote

FPNI

I went with Bushboar split
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they're stitched in Washington State
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, just about most good chest rigs are $200 or less, and many are already mentioned.

Given that, I'll ask you "what is your idea of 'more effective'?"

Are you looking for minimalist, Neighborhood Watch, plus a few incidentals?

UKR type scenario where you're living in a trench and need as much ammunition as possible?

Figuring out what you imagine yourself using it for will help you find what you want. Think well and hard about it and remember that there are few one size fits all solutions in life, so focus on what you're most likely to use it for, and start there, since you'll likely end up with more than one, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Chest rigs are really something you have to have a purpose for.  "What do I want to be able to do with this?"  That, more than anything, will drive what product to get.  A lot of guys get these chest rigs and load them up from top to bottom and while they look good, they are extremely clunky, heavy, and don't allow for good movement.  If this is for SHTF scenarios, you shouldn't need something that carries eight mags.  You likely want to be able to move.  You'll have one in your gun so honestly, a smaller rig that carries 2-3 should be good.  You'll a lighter weight and better able to move too.  

As you've also seen, battle belts are getting more popular and practical.  If I needed SHTF, I can throw on my battle belt quicker than my chest rig.  I have one rifle and two pistol mags there.  One in each gun so 2 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags total.  Should be enough in SHTF if you are planning your responses well.  The guy that loads up his 10 mags and all his gear because he never thinks he's going back home to reload?  Someone is going to pick his slow ass off and be gifted some nice accessories.  

The chest rig I would look into is the Haley Strategy Micro Chest Rig.  Assuming it's for 5.56, get the triple mag insert.  I also have the D3CR which is nice but 4 rifle mags, 4 pistol mags, 2 accessory pouches...it gets to be a lot.  I had it on a Shellback Banshee 2.0 plate carrier but i figured out quick that it was a lot to lug around.  I got a slimmer profile PC and put the micro on it.  Much better.

The HSP MCR will run $175 but it should be around $150 come black Friday.  If price is a concern, I would also check out the Blackhawk Foundation Series first responder placard.  This one flies under the radar a bit.  It looks very similar to the HSP MCR - had 3 rifle slots, 2 pistol slots, and the middle is a pull-out IFAK.  It's a pretty slick set up, honestly.  Very minimalistic.  You want a good rapid-response rig for cheap, this one is $50.  The quality seems okay.  I haven't roughed mine up, really but I've had good luck with Blackhawk in the past, so...we'll see how it goes.

If you go the more minimal chest rig route, I would look into a battle belt.  I recommend G-Code.  Get their Operator's belt and then tack on some of their Scorpion mag pouches.  I personally LOVE their optimum drop leg holder attachment. Have it for my Blackhawk and Safariland holsters.  That said I also have the 5.11 battle belt which I love equally as much.  

If you want other sources of info - and this is going to sound nuts - but check out 4chan /k/.  They have ongoing threads called "gear queer" where guys focus on loadouts and gear of all kinds.  It's a blue chan too so it's much more tame than the wild west /pol/.  If anyone wants the link to the thread, IM me.  They have some really nice standard infographics that are helpful.  

OP, if I was starting over and on a budget, I would get this combo:
Blackhawk Foundations Series First Responder Placard
LAPG Low Vis Plate Carrier

Should run you $130 or so.  It's good entry-level gear that, I believe, would serve the needs of 99% of the people on this site.  You gonna take it to the middle east or Ukraine?  Probably not.  Your AO, probably be fine.  This entry level set up also allows you to get a taste of how you might like this set up.  Do you want more or less, different pouches, etc without breaking the bank on the first go around.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#35]
You really need a few types of set ups. I have a plate carrier with pouches for 4 rifle and 2 pistol mags, thats the I have to go run in to a gun fight rig. I also have 5.11 chest rig that can hold 12 mags, for the I am here and the gun fight came to me no running back for more ammo. I have a micro chest rig set ups for grab and go now for both an ar and bolt action.

They each have their own use, dont lock your self in to one setup. When teamed up with a battle belt the options cover a lot of bases.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been 100% happy with everything I have bought from eestac. However I really wish they would improve their website a little, especially regarding the colors / patterns. To me is is often a surprise what I bought actually looks like.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Spiritus micro is my favorite but it has been mentioned already so I will throw in the recce rig from onward research, its $160.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Esstac has what you need!
https://esstac.com/chest-rigs/
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, just about most good chest rigs are $200 or less, and many are already mentioned.

Given that, I'll ask you "what is your idea of 'more effective'?"

Are you looking for minimalist, Neighborhood Watch, plus a few incidentals?

UKR type scenario where you're living in a trench and need as much ammunition as possible?

Figuring out what you imagine yourself using it for will help you find what you want. Think well and hard about it and remember that there are few one size fits all solutions in life, so focus on what you're most likely to use it for, and start there, since you'll likely end up with more than one, anyway.
View Quote

Just something to have ready to go if something happens.  Bump in the night kinda stuff.  Not planning on doing classes (there aren't any around here lol).  Just to have a few mags/light/etc ready to strap on and check things out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I like Haley Strategic and Agilite.

Heard good things about Esstac, but i always miss their sales
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Spiritus micro is my favorite but it has been mentioned already so I will throw in the recce rig from onward research, its $160.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/radio_front_jpg-3008455.JPG
View Quote

What pouch is that on your left side?  

I also like my onward research recce rig.  The simp pouch is too small for anything practical though
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What pouch is that on your left side?  

I also like my onward research recce rig.  The simp pouch is too small for anything practical though
View Quote

spiritus tall GP pouch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Plenty to just order listed in here but some good threads in armory section of this site.

I recommend layers of stuff.  A chest rig is one thing a battle belt is another.  If they complement each other you wind up with things working well together.

I live rural and shoot on private property and so.etimes park vehicle and walk a ways.  Having an easy way to carry mags and stuff is nice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just something to have ready to go if something happens.  Bump in the night kinda stuff.  Not planning on doing classes (there aren't any around here lol).  Just to have a few mags/light/etc ready to strap on and check things out.
View Quote

Probably a micro rig then. Haley or Spiritus being the 2 big ones, but there's a ton these days. Just whatever placard will hold 3 mags. Haley is nice if the built in pouches work for you. Just remember the inserts aren't included in the price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Esstac

View Quote

This and the Trex quad flap look like the best options on the market, depending on how you want your rig set up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

South African Pat 83. I have one and it's great ??
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mayflower Gen IV

View Quote

@Liaztraht

Which H-harness did you go with:  Cordura, 2” or 3”?

I have the 2” and really like it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Liaztraht

Which H-harness did you go with:  Cordura, 2" or 3"?

I have the 2" and really like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mayflower Gen IV

@Liaztraht

Which H-harness did you go with:  Cordura, 2" or 3"?

I have the 2" and really like it.
@C-4 just the basic one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top