Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Surus Operations makes good stuff

RecceAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just something to have ready to go if something happens.  Bump in the night kinda stuff.  Not planning on doing classes (there aren't any around here lol).  Just to have a few mags/light/etc ready to strap on and check things out.
View Quote

AR? DARC man, DARC.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
My bailout/active shooter rig is a Blue Force Gear MolleMinus with my own selection of pouches on it. VERY lightweight, durable, and nothing "in the way". I keep three double-mag pouches and a Chinook Medical IFAK on it. Gerber Strongarm on the left shoulder strap or CRKT folder in the front I also have an ASP Agent collapsible baton, small pepper spray cannister, and one pair of metal cuffs with two zip-tie cuffs in the molle. This generally gives me mobility and comfort and I can carry a patrol-slung weapon easily. Sidearm and pistol mags are on a belt, also radio rides in a belt case.

This is a speed rig made up for counter-assaulting, not for some "in the field" sustained op. This rig also fits over my issue IIIa armor easily.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]

I bought one and I really like it for simplicity.   I gave mine to my oldest for his first class and got another for me.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SKD PIG ..op will thank me later.

SKD PIG
View Quote

I have one of those. It belongs in a museum.

The only reason I haven't replaced it is because it is almost 15 years old and refuses to fall apart, so I use it as a weight vest for PT.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't help but notice that MOLLE chest rigs are not being recommended. What's the deal?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Haley micro if you want a small light rig. Trex quad flap if you want to carry more stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]

second this
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

If I was buying today that looks awful slick.  I’d go with that right there
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#14]
i've gone away from chest rigs, I just really don't find them comfortable and all they are good for is a few mags.

They really only hold 3-4 mags comfortably. If you double stack them they stick out to much.
the more crap you pile on them gets in the way of a slung rifle
if you go prone all the crap strapped to your chest gets in the way

If you are carrying a backpack/ruck with any kind of load in it and a rifle its very annoying.

about 3 years ago I switched to the eagle industries padded war belt with the V2 suspenders. When they hit the surplus market a few years ago the belts were selling for $5. I bought a fist full at knob creek because why not for 5 bucks.

V2 suspenders are excellent

the end result gives you something you can carry 1-8 mags comfortably
a pistol if you want
water
any kind of msc items in a pouch

none of it gets in the way of a slung weapon
none of it in the way if you go prone
you can carry a pack comfortably and use a sternum strap
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered an Esstac during their leaked discount code situation. Haven’t received it yet but am pretty excited for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/330153/P83_Battlejacket_2021_1_jpg-3008534.JPG
South African Pat 83. I have one and it's great ??
View Quote

How's the bulk of that thing?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Normally I’d look Venture Surplus for these items, but this is a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58387/D8F811E9-78DC-4DE8-AA23-32D29CB76B03_png-3011099.JPG

Normally I’d look Venture Surplus for these items, but this is a screaming deal.
View Quote

Those are kinda shit as a standalone rig. I wouldn't use one unless I had to.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58387/D8F811E9-78DC-4DE8-AA23-32D29CB76B03_png-3011099.JPG

View Quote

I considered that but think I'll go this route-
Attachment Attached File

Molle ALS adapter for a holster at 3 o'clock, the double mag pouch at 8-9 and my JSTA pouch with a 1+1 insert and med at 10 sounds like a decent setup. Anyone have that mag pouch?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
eBay always has some FLC vests for cheap, and you can customize them with any kind of pouches you want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Need to quit screwing around and buy some gear that will make my firearms more usable in a SHTF scenario.  Looking for a "chest rig".  Nothing fancy, just need a way to carry extra rifle/pistol mags and other stuff.  Can I get anything decent for $200 or less?
View Quote

Plenty of good recommendations in this thread. Another inexpensive way to make your AR more useful is to buy 2 Esstac AR mag pouches (mid height) to wear on your belt for speed reloads. Also, does your AR have an optic, sling, and white light?
Thinking big picture, considering getting a macro chest rig that will work with your future slick plate carrier. The macro chest rig (such as TRex quad flap) will work well with your ruck and its hip belt unlike a battle belt. For low vis either go pistol concealed carry with spare mags, TQ, light on your waist and maybe a slick plate carrier with mags in elastic cummerbund under a loose cover garment. Your AR may concealed taken down in a bag until open carried with a sling.
I wouldn’t recommend pistol mags on your chest rig. Instead keep it slim or carry more rifle mags as well as other needed mags, gear and water. Most people suck at shooting pistol so they’re better off carrying more rifle mags instead of a pistol when carrying a slinged rifle. If you are great with a pistol, a pistol and spare mags should be carried on your belt / pants.

Esstac makes high quality US made gear at reasonable prices. If they’re products meet your needs, I recommend them highly.

Take some force on force training such as a 1shepherd training and FTX to better help you prepare yourself while you learn what gear, clothing, and tactics work and what doesn’t. For example, as shown 27 minutes into the FTX video linked above, I easily went through 4 mags during this attack. Good thing, I don’t listen to the poor advice herein that you only need to carry 4 mags. You should carry enough mags to last through multiple attacks / defends.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an esstac chest rig. It’s great quality, holds what it needs to hold and doesn’t take up a lot of space.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You mean like extra retention or a flap when not on the flat range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I love my triple piggy.  Everything you need, nothing you don't.

https://esstac.com/triple-piggy/

You mean like extra retention or a flap when not on the flat range.

Those KYWI mag pouches are surprisingly secure for a passive retention design. It’s unlikely that your mags are going to fall out even when you’re doing a backflipping hatchet attack.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
What is a good cheap minimalist rig from Amazon?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im gonna go with none.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a copy of Spiritus' kitted out micro fight on Amazon.  I don't know the brand.  I'm grabbing one for Christmas for my kid because he keeps running around with my Spiritus rig.  Reviews are good.  Might be worth wasting $75 to try it for yourself.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only reason I haven't replaced it is because it is almost 15 years old and refuses to fall apart, so I use it as a weight vest for PT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SKD PIG ..op will thank me later.

SKD PIG

I upgraded my SKD PIG with some stuff from Blaze Defense and AXL Advanced.  It now has First Spear Tubes for the cummerbund and I clipped in a Haley D3CR to the front.  As far as recommendations, I love the Haley D3CR.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Helikon-Tex Training Mini-Rig or Guardian Chest Rig.
https://a.co/d/3ORNDQD

https://a.co/d/iGYsLKl

I think they're the best for the cost. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a spiritus to throw my placard on.  It allows me to Cale up or down in just a few min.  I can easily do 5 mags, water, med, radio, and my pvs14 in s padded pouch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What's the best way to have an independent chest rig that can also mount to something like a HSGI core? Say 3x rifle mags wide. I'm looking for both chest rig and mounting solution.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#31]
How about old school?
Over the decades I have put together ALICE, tactical vest and now a plate carrier, that is it for me!

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag 4 l8ter
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Surplus TAP. Upgrade w/ a Spiritus Systems TAP kit when able or just get the harness and waist belt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
In case noboy has mentioned it yet, LBX has the cheaped down 1961 Version on sale.

Thats a complete as its gets rig for under 100 butwont get you cool Guy IG Points
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just got the Mayflower UW Chest Rig Gen IV from Spiritus. It fits good, holds 4 AR mags, and a handful of general pouches.
View Quote

Yea that’s the gold standard for a no fuck around already set up rig.

I also like Eagle or TT rhodesian/rrv chest rigs because they will take a plate.  Onward research makes a good chest rig as well.

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Whatever Johnny Strong suits up with,  … maybe especially if you’re running a 7.62/.308.

Daylight's End 2016 Street Shootout Vs Bandits 1
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The one I mention earlier on this page.  Unobtanium;   The DRIP is a Chest Rig and Placard. Check out their whole site, you'll find what you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the best way to have an independent chest rig that can also mount to something like a HSGI core? Say 3x rifle mags wide. I'm looking for both chest rig and mounting solution.
https://offbase.co/cdn/shop/products/gear-rigs-plate-carriers-hsgi-core-plate-carrier-10_082682f8-de08-4ea3-8702-2680569fa0b5.jpg?v=1631588491&width=1800
The one I mention earlier on this page.  Unobtanium;   The DRIP is a Chest Rig and Placard. Check out their whole site, you'll find what you need.

While browsing their site, I see they have a 417 placard that I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]

I wonder if Surus Operations is still in business? Their website seems to no longer work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Condor for an everyman choice?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
How much are you willing to spend and what do you need it to do?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In the pic above below the HT Guardian is the T-REX Arms Ready Rig.
https://www.trex-arms.com/store/T-REX-ARMS-Chest-Rig/
For a minimalist set up its perfect. I will be ordering their Quad Flap Chest Rig too in the future based off this experience.
https://www.trex-arms.com/store/t-rex-quad-flap-chest-rig/

View Quote

I've got the Trex ready rig also. Pretty thrifty, they're on sale for $75 bucks right now. They'll hold a few mags, some utility and med no problem.

Good investment for the money, even if you do nothing more than work some reloads at the range.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-MCR6-498-Tactical-Equipment-Coyote/dp/B01N0Z5B1Y
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Condor quality has improved significantly since its Airsoft origins. Don't know if I'd want to jump out of helicopters w/it, but mine have held up fine in classes and at the range.
I would suggest their bare MOLLE chest rig, then pick up the pouches/gear you're interested in so you can experiment w/placement & needs.
Then, if you want something better after settling on the layout, you can peruse other options w/o first spending lots of $$$ during the experimentation phase.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't understand a lot of these responses. If you want to carry that much ammo- meaning you expect to engage something, then you want a plate carrier.

If you want to move fast then a few mags, a multi-tool/knife, a few energy bars, med kit, radio, and H2O backpack are all you need. If you really need more stuff, adding a belt is a better way to go IMO.

Also, there is NO WAY that wearing a full chest rig is "gray" in any situation, no matter what the color. You wear that, people thing you're armed and have goods. The end.

For all those reasons, I use a Hill People Gear "Recon Kit Bag": https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5. They have a bigger one too, but I don't need it. Put whatever mag carriers, etc. you want on the outside, and you have a very modular, lightweight setup.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Chest rig should be light and tight.

Haley Micro
- 3 rifle mags
- 1 pistol mag
- 1 TQ
- 1 light
- trauma dressings inside
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can't help but notice that MOLLE chest rigs are not being recommended. What's the deal?
View Quote

I recommended one. If you don't want to be limited by someone else's setup, go molle and set it up for YOUR needs and fit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the Blue Force 10 Speed

Blue Force 10 Speed
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Looks nice.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top