Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/5/2023 8:09:43 PM EDT
A slew of Chicago gay bars have stopped selling Anheuser Busch InBev products after the beer giant distanced itself from transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney's Bud Light marketing campaign amid anti-trans backlash.

2Bears Tavern Group, which owns four gay bars from Uptown to Rogers Park, was the first to drop Anheuser-Busch InBev, posting on Instagram Thursday that its abandonment of Mulvaney amid controversy "shows how little Anheuser-Busch cares about the LGBTQIA+ community, and in particular transgender people, who have been under unrelenting attack in this country."

Sidetrack, a 41-year-old gay bar founded by LGBTQ rights pioneers Art Johnston and Jose Pep  Pe a, later made the same announcement.

"We must also hold brands accountable if they take active steps against LGBTQ+ equality, visibility and safety," Sidetrack posted.

The gay bars will no longer sell all Anheuser-Busch products, including Bud Light, Busch Light and Goose Island 312.

The controversy began after Anheuser-Busch partnered with Mulvaney for a sponsored post and launched a line of Pride-themed cans with various pronouns.

Many took to social media to express transphobic outrage over the Mulvaney partnership, including an Instagram clip of country musician Kid Rock shooting four cases of Bud Light with a rifle and customers vowing they would stop drinking Bud Light. Others expressed support for Mulvaney and the campaign.

But Anheuser-Busch CEO Michel Doukeris addressed the controversy during an earnings call with investors Thursday and distanced the brand from Mulvaney, according to Yahoo Finance.

"We need to clarify the facts that this was one can, one influencer, one post and not a campaign," Doukeris said.

The CEO also posted a statement in April saying the brand "never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people."

The team behind 2Bears Tavern Group accused the company of erasing "transgender people in favor of anti-trans vitriol." The bar group includes 2Bears Tavern Uptown, Jackhammer, Meetinghouse Tavern and the SoFo Tap.

Sidetrack said the CEO's statement "wrongfully validates the position that it is acceptable to acquiesce to the demands of those who do not support the trans community."

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/05/05/chicago-gay-bars-stop-selling-bud-light-other-anheuser-busch-beers-after-brand-backs-down-to-anti-trans-critics/
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Haha!  They done fucked up both ways playing the social justice warrior shit!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a distancing?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a distancing?
View Quote
Anything less than total, blind devotion gets this response. AB exec tried to tone down the extent of said marketing which in the eyes of activitists is akin to being a facist.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
"Jose Pepé Peña"

lol
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Go woke, go broke
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Winning!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Electric Six - Gay bar(Uncensored) - With Lyrics
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if the death of budweiser will become a case study. I’m sure the company will survive, but maybe not the brand
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what happens when businesses get involved in politics

They ended pissing off everyone

That is why businesses of old tried to stay out of politics or maintained a low key on it
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh no! Now what are gays going to suck down at the end of a long hot day? Not an ice cold bush, that’s for sure!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A slew of Chicago gay bars have stopped selling Anheuser Busch InBev products after the beer giant distanced itself from transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney's Bud Light marketing campaign amid anti-trans backlash.

2Bears Tavern Group, which owns four gay bars from Uptown to Rogers Park, was the first to drop Anheuser-Busch InBev, posting on Instagram Thursday that its abandonment of Mulvaney amid controversy "shows how little Anheuser-Busch cares about the LGBTQIA+ community, and in particular transgender people, who have been under unrelenting attack in this country."

Sidetrack, a 41-year-old gay bar founded by LGBTQ rights pioneers Art Johnston and Jose Pep  Pe a, later made the same announcement.

https://lede-admin.blockclubchicago.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2023/05/Blank-1980-x-1020-copy.png?resize=1024,528

"We must also hold brands accountable if they take active steps against LGBTQ+ equality, visibility and safety," Sidetrack posted.

The gay bars will no longer sell all Anheuser-Busch products, including Bud Light, Busch Light and Goose Island 312.

The controversy began after Anheuser-Busch partnered with Mulvaney for a sponsored post and launched a line of Pride-themed cans with various pronouns.

Many took to social media to express transphobic outrage over the Mulvaney partnership, including an Instagram clip of country musician Kid Rock shooting four cases of Bud Light with a rifle and customers vowing they would stop drinking Bud Light. Others expressed support for Mulvaney and the campaign.

But Anheuser-Busch CEO Michel Doukeris addressed the controversy during an earnings call with investors Thursday and distanced the brand from Mulvaney, according to Yahoo Finance.

"We need to clarify the facts that this was one can, one influencer, one post and not a campaign," Doukeris said.

The CEO also posted a statement in April saying the brand "never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people."

The team behind 2Bears Tavern Group accused the company of erasing "transgender people in favor of anti-trans vitriol." The bar group includes 2Bears Tavern Uptown, Jackhammer, Meetinghouse Tavern and the SoFo Tap.

Sidetrack said the CEO's statement "wrongfully validates the position that it is acceptable to acquiesce to the demands of those who do not support the trans community."

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/05/05/chicago-gay-bars-stop-selling-bud-light-other-anheuser-busch-beers-after-brand-backs-down-to-anti-trans-critics/
View Quote

Love how they leave out the part about "....after a trans person murdered a bunch of kids." That isca central part to the story. Pretending it didnt even happen.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
With that AB brand going in the shitter, I’m wondering if there will be layoffs in the bud light division.  Kinda hard to support that infrastructure when you don’t have the sales to support it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anything less than total, blind devotion gets this response. AB exec tried to tone down the extent of said marketing which in the eyes of activitists is akin to being a facist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a distancing?

Look at their quotes. They believe they run society.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There was a distancing?
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. I do not remember them doing anything to distance themselves from that penis swinging guy who thinks he's a woman. No. One. Damn. Thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like AmBev is taking it in both ends...
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Look at their quotes. They believe they run society.
View Quote

Fuck all these crazy ass creatures. Yeah, I said it... Fuck 'em all!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I worked with plenty of gay dudes in the hotel industry.

They do not like trans women...they also put up with lesbians but find they dumb
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I see Smirnoff vodka is going with a tranny campaign now too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]
So butt fuckers are pissed that AB did not raise another butt fucker posing as a woman to the status of the greatest person ever?

Fuck all these freaks.  They need to realize that they are freaks and need to get back in the closet where they belong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone saw this coming. I don't think there's any way out of this that doesn't cost BL significant market share in the long run.

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL now they've lost the gays too!

Just goes to show you CANNOT please everyone. That being the case just keep pleasing the giant customer base who made you rich instead of a tiny number of degenerate loons (who you'll never be able to please anyway).

GWGB
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So butt fuckers are pissed that AB did not raise another butt fucker posing as a woman to the status of the greatest person ever?

Fuck all these freaks.  They need to realize that they are freaks and need to get back in the closet where they belong.
View Quote

BASED
A
S
E
D
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
This a corporate death spiral.  Good
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Haha maybe 1% of the population
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think they are enjoying that spit roasting at this point
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fuck all these crazy ass creatures. Yeah, I said it... Fuck 'em all!
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

I used to have pity for them. I could accept them if they were chill, more or less like a normal person. But no. I've seen enough. These are irreparably broken and dangerous people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
make that can!

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
For the record, I am pro LGHDTV+
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For the record, I am pro LGHDTV+
View Quote

They put on the best shows!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I read something earlier about trannys boycotting Bud Light.  They really stepped in it
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
LOL about this whole thing. If I was marketing I would be like  " we make an awesome beer for awesome people..... drink it or don't be awesome otherwise f*** off".
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I used to have pity for them. I could accept them if they were chill, more or less like a normal person. But no. I've seen enough. These are irreparably broken and dangerous people.
View Quote

They used to not shove this shit in your face. So I didn't care. Now they are force feeding their psychosis on everyone else.

What's the saying about fucking with someone that just wants to be left alone.... FFS
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#41]
2 bears tells you why. Dylan is a twink and bears protect their twinks.

the jokes write themselves
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a player!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm okay with this.

Let the freaks boycott AB too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I am confused by the world.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#46]
This is why a business shouldn't get involved and should stick to selling its product.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Seriously, their crazy spending in marketing should have told them this would happen.  No half-ass responses.  Either they whole-ass the gays or the normal people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

What about parades?

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Somewhere on earth, at this very moment, a clown honks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I never took business school, but I imagine one of the first things they teach is to keep your mouth shut about politics.

Half your customers want one thing, and the other half want the other.  If you pick a side, the best you can do is lose half your customers.  If you then recant, you lose the other half.

A strange game.  The only winning move is not to play.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top