Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
They do seem to be looking to fight the next war.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
So seven drones is what a swarm is huh?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you want a carrier to launch drones? VTOL drones at that?
Why not something a hell of a lot smaller, cheaper, and simpler?
View Quote

At this point they don't have enough carrier based aircraft or pilots.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So seven drones is what a swarm is huh?
View Quote

You know the Chinese currently hold the world record for largest number of drones flown at one time right?  1,374 of them, beating Intel's previous record of 1,218.  If you can sync up that many drones to fly patterns and do displays it can't be that much harder to program them to do attack patterns.  That said, I crashed the last small drone I was trying to fly so not really a good one to speak on them.  

Yeah, it's a Chinese owned group posting the video but there are plenty of articles about it.
New record! 1,374 drones dance over ancient city wall of Xi''an
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Also the Russians are expanding their navy. That's why they didn't care about that frigate sinking, it was an old dinosaur that would have been retired to the scrap heap soon.  And the Black sea fleet is their worst fleet ( behind the Caspian flotilla which doesn't count).
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Based on what current and former military here as well as ones I know in person have said, I have little faith in most of the upper military leadership either.  The powers that be seem to be doing their very best to run off actual warfighters and replace them with diversity and inclusion feel good appointments. I haven't heard anyone I thought had any sense speak positively about Austin or Miley.  
View Quote

Back in 2017 I warned GD about Milley after Trump promoted him. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not going to help that the idiots in the Philippines just elected another Marcos (the son of Ferdinand and Imelda) as president (and Duterte's daughter as VP)- who's talked about wanted to develop closer ties to China.  I miss living in the PI, but God I don't understand how they can be so stupid at times.  
View Quote

We need some more time to see how BongBong acts, personally, I think re-opening the Subic base and inviting the US back in would be the best option for them. Yesterday they put in a formal complaint to China fishing in their waters, they won that court case in 2016 so we need to see how far Bong will push it.

The west probably has a better chance at bribing BongBong than China does, but it will mean the end to the international effort to recover the billions his parents stole.

Philippines starts using Subic Bay as naval base to counter China
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very small fleet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
7 drones is a fleet?

Very small fleet.

That is 7 more than we have flying off our CVNs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The MQ-25A - Soon, soon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:30:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Carriers with drones right now are where aircraft carriers were in the 1920’s. Lot of people think it’s a waste of time and money. But the payoffs could be big.

Several thoughts

-Training a pilot with todays military requirements takes 5 years. In WW2 it was 9 months. With a peer advisory we’re going to be loosing a lot of people we cannot replace. But if their drone pilots sitting on a carrier the survivability is much better. Also when a drone pilot is shot down. He lives to learn from his mistake. A fighter pilot usually doesn’t.

-Drones can be made cheaply and assembled within a month. An F35 takes 6-18 months to complete.

-Drones are disposable, things like F35’s are NOT.

-A kamikaze attack is a death sentence for a fighter pilot. If a drone pilot does a kamikaze attack. He just logs into the next drone that’s prepped and flys out to the enemy ship while it’s still burning to finish the job.

-Taking out a 200lb pilot with another few hundred pounds of support equipment leaves a lot of weight savings for bombs, fuel and electronic warfare. Also let’s you make the airframe more aerodynamic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The MQ-25A - Soon, soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MQ-25A - Soon, soon.

Going to reconnoiter a chicom SAG with a buddy store?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The MQ-25A - Soon, soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MQ-25A - Soon, soon.

Plus we have a number flying off of smaller ships
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They could launch a shit load of them off of a carrier.  A couple hundred drones could fuck some shit up at minimal cost.
View Quote

and how many more stowed below deck?

still, could do the same thing with a cargo ship and they have thousands of those. why are they using a carrier?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They fuel um up, only to have to refuel an hour later
View Quote

Every 17 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd bet money they're using them to learn tactics and possibly for training drone pilots- you don't start out flying remote control aircraft with a ducted fan or jet, you start with something slow, predicable and forgiving like a Cessna foamie.  

Most of their drones look like copies of our stuff, largely surveillance stuff but they've also got the one that looks like a miniature B2 bomber, there's this thing https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/china-building-supersonic-drones-spy-navy-aircraft-carriers-83466, they've got some attack helicopters, etc.  They've got students in all of our universities, they've got employees in all of our companies, they're got Chinese magnet schools in our communities, etc.  See also China's Thousand Talents Program.

Just random links from a quick google search- they're put a lot of research into drones
https://www.militarytech.news/2021-01-26-china-production-military-drones-rival-america.html
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/terrifying-290-ft-chinese-robot-mothership-can-launch-swarms-autonomous-drones/
https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/CASI/Display/Article/1604410/china-is-making-1000-uav-drone-swarms-now/
https://www.fanaticalfuturist.com/2021/08/china-is-developing-hypersonic-ucav-swarms-to-overcome-missile-defenses/
https://nerdist.com/article/world-record-breaking-drone-swarm-china/

I think a lot of folks are underestimating them- we got run out of Afghanistan by a bunch of goat herders.  China is near peer and expanding their land holdings further and further and while they have a poor track record in war, they're working to improve- and not worried about misgendering the person next to them or trying to convince their soldiers and sailors that somehow diversity is strength.  I'm not saying we, along with Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan and Singapore (and Australia if they can unfook themselves from the Chinese; I wouldn't trust or count on New Zealand) couldn't beat them, but I fully expect we'll get a bloody nose in the process and we'll lose some ships and people.  

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”
? Lao Tzu
View Quote

China is as peer as russia has been shown to be. Not saying dont look out or that drone carriers arent an awesome idea, but peeps here in GD invest china with way too much ability. Like putin, all communists hide behind a capable propaganda machine.

Observe. Plan. But dont panic over this shit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top