Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Halloween is a Christian holiday. It is All Hallows Eve, the following day is All Saints Day. It’s been celebrated for over 1500 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people seem to think the purpose of faith and religion is to absolutely suck the joy out of anything and everything. That's why the Puritans were "persecuted" in England, by the way. They got booted out when they tried to cancel everybody's favorite holiday, Christmas.

It make me happy that my faith is based on love and not on an enormous heap of rules, rules, and more rules.

Jesus taught me that what's most important is for me to love God with all my heart and to love my neighbor as myself. I fail to see how making up stupid rules and then judging other people based on how they follow the rules is part of either of those. Too many self-proclaimed Christians are obsessed with rules and judgmentalism and are not at all interested in loving much of anything except people who subscribe to the same rule set as theirs. They seem to like being angry, judgmental, critical, and dictatorial for God.

If being constantly obsessed with nonsense like yoga and secular holidays is a manifestation of Godly love, I'm Ming the Merciless.

Love God. Love each other. It ain't hard. In fact, it's really quite simple if you let it be simple.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I always have a big Halloween celebration.  It’s our anniversary.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
what if they go out for Halloween as a robot and do yoga ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You mean All Hallows Eve before All Saint's Day as celebrated in the RCC since probably prior to 732 when it was officially declared?

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, here we are…
No One Believes In Me Anymore (Satan's Boast) (with Lyrics) Keith Green/Ministry Years Vol.1_Disc1
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Growing up we treated it as dress kids up in cute costumes and give them candy day.  We stayed away from the creepy/gory/ghoulish stuff.

At present my wife and I have elected not to participate with our kids as there seems to be a lot more emphasis on the distasteful aspects these days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
https://en.as.com/latest_news/is-all-saints-day-the-same-as-halloween-n/
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Growing up we treated it as dress kids up in cute costumes and give them candy day.  We stayed away from the creepy/gory/ghoulish stuff.

At present my wife and I have elected not to participate with our kids as there seems to be a lot more emphasis on the distasteful aspects these days.
View Quote

Exactly why I began to question where it meshed in my Christian walk.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

More like the Christians co-opted the pagan holidays.
View Quote

Pagans had all the good holidays.  Of course we took them over.  It was OK because cultural appropriation hadn't been invented yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a Catholic holiday.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pagans had all the good holidays.  Of course we took them over.  It was OK because cultural appropriation hadn't been invented yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like the Christians co-opted the pagan holidays.

PAGANs
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.
View Quote

SPNI.
Chill. Just fun for kids and young adults.
I don’t think anyone actually equates it with anything religious in any way.

It’s just a pretend scary movie night for young folks.
We don’t have costume balls anymore, this is as close as they get.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]
All Hallows Eve, supposed to scare off the ghouls in preparation for All Saints Day…
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Can’t have All Saints Day without something to compare it to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a Christian holiday to remember the Saints and to a degree, all the faithful who were persecuted for their beliefs. It also lines up with the traditional harvest festivals in Europe, and therefore you could, if you choose to, think of it as God's blessing of successful harvest.

Almost like you can choose to contextualize certain celebrations or times or seasons with your beliefs, coupled with traditions you inherit. Weird. It's as if people have been doing that for hundreds, maybe even thousands of years. I would even venture to go out on an exceptionally crazy limb and say... God might have even planned it out that way for us.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PAGANs
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Already seeing Christmas decorations in stores
View Quote

Yea the big box stores are shifting tactics.  Not a garden seed to be found, Halloween stuff is already in a back corner, and there are aisles of Christmas things
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.  Almost everyone has headless Jesus displays on Halloween.

View Quote

You didn't pick yours up at Costco this year?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's gotten warped.  Same people that put up nightmare before Christmas decorations for Christmas
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Co-opting a holiday to hand out candy and party in costumes is the best way to destroy it's origin and stamp out the ideology.

Just like as a white guy I get drunk on tequila on May 5th because fuck the mexican culture still celebrating victories from a country they fled from, take it, make it yours and cleanse it.
View Quote

To be fair, it's not like there's a shortage of French military defeats.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some people seem to think the purpose of faith and religion is to absolutely suck the joy out of anything and everything. That's why the Puritans were "persecuted" in England, by the way. They got booted out when they tried to cancel everybody's favorite holiday, Christmas.

It make me happy that my faith is based on love and not on an enormous heap of rules, rules, and more rules.

Jesus taught me that what's most important is for me to love God with all my heart and to love my neighbor as myself. I fail to see how making up stupid rules and then judging other people based on how they follow the rules is part of either of those. Too many self-proclaimed Christians are obsessed with rules and judgmentalism and are not at all interested in loving much of anything except people who subscribe to the same rule set as theirs. They seem to like being angry, judgmental, critical, and dictatorial for God.

If being constantly obsessed with nonsense like yoga and secular holidays is a manifestation of Godly love, I'm Ming the Merciless.

Love God. Love each other. It ain't hard. In fact, it's really quite simple if you let it be simple.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/3c/c1/103cc1c604cfdb22a601764b9db2f6de.jpg
View Quote

It isn’t about rules and regulations for me. I think I have Christian Liberty to celebrate Halloween or not.

It’s about what I feel comfortable with. I believe in spiritual warfare, and I believe that the enemy can be given permissions through activities that some people consider harmless.

Witchcraft and idolatry are prevalent themes during Halloween. I’m not going to show my kids that it’s “fun” to celebrate those things once a year.  

I’m not telling you what to do.  You need to decide what’s best for you and your family.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Fascinating thread. From my particular religious perspective, even more progressive Orthodox Jews would be utterly horrified by their kids celebrating Halloween. Heck, even the more observant parts of the Conservative community don't do it, including the local pluralistic day school.

Inevitably, a non-Jewish babysitter at our synagogue on the Sabbath asks the kids what they're going to dress up as for Halloween, and hilarity ensues when they vehemently declaim ever debasing themselves to dress up for it, let alone participate at all.

Is it pretty much just fun and not Satan worship? Yeah. Is it something I want my kids doing? No. Another reason they go to a Jewish private school. We hand out candy like everyone else, though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a lot of heartburn throwing away some old sheepskin seat covers from my truck because I could have made a perfect Halloween costume out of them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#29]

This right here.  Always been my favorite time of the year
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fascinating thread. From my particular religious perspective, even more progressive Orthodox Jews would be utterly horrified by their kids celebrating Halloween. Heck, even the more observant parts of the Conservative community don't do it, including the local pluralistic day school.

Inevitably, a non-Jewish babysitter at our synagogue on the Sabbath asks the kids what they're going to dress up as for Halloween, and hilarity ensues when they vehemently declaim ever debasing themselves to dress up for it, let alone participate at all.

Is it pretty much just fun and not Satan worship? Yeah. Is it something I want my kids doing? No. Another reason they go to a Jewish private school. We hand out candy like everyone else, though.
View Quote

Well, it's multi faceted.  It's a Christian version to coopt Samhain.  But then it's also become a cultural thing.  As society shifts away from Christian values, towards a more "permanent present (no history or tradition)" death cult, it starts warping all the things.  So jewishness is already a strike against celebrating it, but then the 2020s version has warped it, so that it's even less of a thing to be celebrated
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Whatvever they want to say to justify it.

Priest sucking off little boys? Just harmless fun.

If they want to do it it's OK

If they don't want you to do it then you will burn in hell.
View Quote

WAT
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#32]
And people wonder why the jehovies be like they do
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, it's multi faceted.  It's a Christian version to coopt Samhain.  But then it's also become a cultural thing.  As society shifts away from Christian values, towards a more "permanent present (no history or tradition)" death cult, it starts warping all the things.  So jewishness is already a strike against celebrating it, but then the 2020s version has warped it, so that it's even less of a thing to be celebrated
View Quote

I certainly agree in the sense that the shift from having cultures of deep tradition and history[1] to constantly-aggrieved identity culture is a primary driver of what's screwing up this country. People with a proud past tend to have resilience and can deal with minor problems without losing their minds. People who define themselves in the moment by the moment tend to be fragile mofos who lose their minds the second something happens they don't like it. We don't celebrate Halloween, but I've got waaaaay better shit to do than waste my time raging against it.

[1] Which are not all Abrahamic or European, I should add.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I certainly agree in the sense that the shift from having cultures of deep tradition and history[1] to constantly-aggrieved identity culture is a primary driver of what's screwing up this country. People with a proud past tend to have resilience and can deal with minor problems without losing their minds. People who define themselves in the moment by the moment tend to be fragile mofos who lose their minds the second something happens they don't like it. We don't celebrate Halloween, but I've got waaaaay better shit to do than waste my time raging against it.

[1] Which are not all Abrahamic or European, I should add.
View Quote

For sure.  I dont rage against it, I still appreciate Halloween for what it has been.  For most it is still generally an innocent thing.  As the ugliness in the world picks up steam, I just get wary about cooptable cultural items
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.
View Quote

We're all gonna miss you man
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.
View Quote

I'm gonna miss you, bro.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Praise. God is great.

So is fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm gonna miss you, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.

I'm gonna miss you, bro.

Terrible news.
Rest easy -Apocalypto-
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Christians celebrating Halloween?  I guess that's no less strange than libtards celebrating Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.
View Quote

God Rest Your Soul
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just harmless fun.

Anyone know if this was his last post?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it was it is epic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If it was it is epic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was it is epic.

It was according to his profile page.

RIP

You will be missed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Looked at title and immediately thought it was a midcap thread.
Read first post
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We are the house with the full size candy and people stop in the street all October to take pictures of the decorations. Every September my wife makes Home Depot stock go up a percent.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top