Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
This brings backs nightmares of their shitty inline six engines from the 70's.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Your 3.6 is a minivan engine.
View Quote

3.8 was the minivan engine. I had one in an 11 4 door Wrangler. What a dog. I put 4.88 gears in it (35” tires) and still no go. Installed a RIPP supercharger, a little better but not much. The 3.6 in my 2 door JKR and Gladiator is a vastly improved power plant.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After owning a WK2 with a 5.7 since 2018.  Yea, no desire to go back to less-than-master-race-cylinder-count.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardcore Mopar fan here.

Fuck them. I'm revolting anyway.
After owning a WK2 with a 5.7 since 2018.  Yea, no desire to go back to less-than-master-race-cylinder-count.

The point Stellantis fails to understand is that they are now basically a copy of Ford. Their entire Hemi customer base is made up of people who could have bought an Ecoboost instead, but didn't want to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol @ using 3.0L and 2 turbos to eek out 400HP.  And thats probably at the crank with no accessories.
You can get a used honda motor and 1 turbo and be putting out 475 to the wheels.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]

I remember these in Volares and Aspens and other small cars.  We changed out or rebuilt quite a few of these for all kinds of problems, but never a 4.0.  Rough running six too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks like they're using a dedicated turbo for each 3 cylinders.

Maybe they can lop it in half to have an inline three cylinder version with just one turbo for their smaller vehicles.
View Quote

Witha 3 cylinders per  turbo (think smaller and faster spooling) couldn't they basically keep it constantly ready to boost and eliminate lag?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The low end torque isn't there.  But, if you're not towing or hauling heavy loads, it works fine in a WK2.

That ZF trans behind the engines makes a nice bump in performance, tho.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What would the v-6 make with the same aftermarket effort?  400?
View Quote

There's not a huge aftermarket for the 3.6

Edelbrock has a supercharger that claims about 415hp for $7500.00
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3.6 does that with no mods.  And gets better mpg.  And meets emissions.

The 3.6 Pentastar is an everything engine.

FCA seriously put that engine in a huge range of products from the Challenger and Charger up through the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee and even half ton pickups. And yes, it also went in the Caravan and Pacifica, but calling it a "minivan engine" when it appeared in such a huge portfolio of products is pure fuckery.

Whether or not you like the Pentastar V6, and whether or not you like Chrysler, it's hard to debate the fact that the 3.6L Pentastar is probably the most versatile engine of the 2010s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They never should have killed off the 4.0.  One of the most bombproof engines ever made.

ETA: first thing I would do is delete all that EGR crap.
View Quote

Agreed! Takes a lot of abuse to kill a 4.0. All my XJs were acquired with 150+ on them, never an engine problem, with the exception of a head gasket on the old '90 Wagoneer at 200 or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 3.6 Pentastar is an everything engine.

FCA seriously put that engine in a huge range of products from the Challenger and Charger up through the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee and even half ton pickups. And yes, it also went in the Caravan and Pacifica, but calling it a "minivan engine" when it appeared in such a huge portfolio of products is pure fuckery.

Whether or not you like the Pentastar V6, and whether or not you like Chrysler, it's hard to debate the fact that the 3.6L Pentastar is probably the most versatile engine of the 2010s.
View Quote

People who call it a minivan engine think they're edgy and that it makes me feel sad. In reality, it demonstrates their ignorance.  Let them flap their gums.  It's an xlnt engine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This brings backs nightmares of their shitty inline six engines from the 70's.
View Quote

I've never heard anyone refer to slant sixes a shitty engines.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll be interested . The slant 6s were damn near bombproof
View Quote

My first hand me down car in high school was a Chrysler Cordoba with a slant 6.  That engine failed, I did a junk yard replacement and it failed, and did an AutoZone rebuild which failed after a 1,000 miles. When the engines did work I was not impressed with the 85 hp they had pushing a 3500lb vehicle.  

The AutoZone rebuild was garbage right out of the gate.  Within a couple hundred miles it was making a ticking sound.  I had to go to a specific shop they required who found nuts had come close in the head and there were bent valves and lifters.  Their fix was to tighten the nuts and return it to me.  Less than 2,000 miles on it and the engine seized up.  AutoZone claimed since I didn't use their recommended shop to have it installed the warranty was null and void.  There was no requirement of which shop could do the install when I purchased it.  Fuck AutoZone.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Until you factor in that the inline 4.0 was a 500k+ motor regularly , what is teh gasoline/diesel/energy cost to make a new engine?
View Quote

I question how many antique Chryslers held together that long to test that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly.

Chrysler drops a new inline six.... I sleep.

Toyota drops a new inline six..... The world perks up.

Or Nissan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it is still a Chrysler.

Exactly.

Chrysler drops a new inline six.... I sleep.

Toyota drops a new inline six..... The world perks up.

Or Nissan

I don't think Toyota or Nissan have had an inline 6 for a while.  I would love to see some more I6's, Toyota is using a BMW engine in the Supra...
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah who built the Slant 6 which was unstoppable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
slants were often used in industrial applications like irrigation pumping

and other things

Dragmaster in Carlsbad were the Sultans of Slant

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Until you factor in that the inline 4.0 was a 500k+ motor regularly , what is teh gasoline/diesel/energy cost to make a new engine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They never should have killed off the 4.0.  One of the most bombproof engines ever made.

It was never going to make the economy and emissions figures required or a modern engine, it was 150-200 pounds overweight and it’s grossly underpowered.

"Regularly?" lol

It's a very safe bet that well over 80% of 4.0s went to the junk yard with less than half that mileage on them, mostly just because that's the way the world works. The rest of the vehicle gets clapped out, it goes to the yard, and the engine goes with it. Some of those 4.0s got pulled from the yard to live again, but odds are, most of those were used to replace... other 4.0s.

If you want to tell anecdotes, here's the story of a 3.6 Pentastar that lasted 626k miles in a Ram Promaster work van: https://www.thedrive.com/news/34672/check-out-how-surprisingly-durable-this-chrysler-pentastar-v6-is-after-626000-miles
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"Regularly?" lol

It's a very safe bet that well over 80% of 4.0s went to the junk yard with less than half that mileage on them, mostly just because that's the way the world works. The rest of the vehicle gets clapped out, it goes to the yard, and the engine goes with it. Some of those 4.0s got pulled from the yard to live again, but odds are, most of those were used to replace... other 4.0s.

If you want to tell anecdotes, here's the story of a 3.6 Pentastar that lasted 626k miles in a Ram Promaster work van: https://www.thedrive.com/news/34672/check-out-how-surprisingly-durable-this-chrysler-pentastar-v6-is-after-626000-miles
View Quote

obviously means "most 3.6's last 600k+ miles"
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's an interesting take.

EGR systems have been on gasoline engines for decades, and they don't cause many problems. Deleting it would likely require thousands of dollars in hardware and tuning, and even if you somehow still think it's worth it, that stuff probably won't be available as the vendors producing it have been dick slapped hard by the EPA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EGR systems have been on gasoline engines for decades, and they don't cause many problems. Deleting it would likely require thousands of dollars in hardware and tuning, and even if you somehow still think it's worth it, that stuff probably won't be available as the vendors producing it have been dick slapped hard by the EPA.

EGR absolutely DOES causes problems, in the form of heavy deposits on intake valves, in modern engines.

If by "thousands"  you mean $500 for a tuner and a couple of block off plates, then yes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
The specs will be interesting to see… I like inline 6s, add a couple turbos and even more so! My 4.0 HO Wrangler is severely under powered at the factory new 190/235 rating, with abysmal fuel economy too!

There are plenty of legendary I6s, from domestics like the GM 258, Ford 300, & Jeep 4.0, to Japanese engines like the RB26DETT & 2JZ GTE, and even European engines like the S54. Then there’s the Cummins engine lineage that started with the 6BT.

I6 engines have fewer components than their V counterparts, are inherently torquey, and don’t have the same vibration issues.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

EGR absolutely DOES causes problems, in the form of heavy deposits on intake valves, in modern engines.

If by "thousands"  you mean $500 for a tuner and a couple of block off plates, then yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a problem with DI only engines.

Port injected and dual injected engines don't generally have that problem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think Toyota or Nissan have had an inline 6 for a while.  I would love to see some more I6's, Toyota is using a BMW engine in the Supra...
View Quote

Mazda is rumored to be bringing an i6 to the lineup. Toyota is happy with its v6 engines so far.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Union made?  Keep it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#27]
the "compact" NASCAR division was quickly dropped after Slants totally dominated it

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#28]
It’s the steaming pile of Stellantis that comes with it that makes it a no dawg for me. Don’t care how great an engine it is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why I said if either of those two dropped a new one people would notice.

Legendary engines.

No one cares is Chrysler and whoever owns them at this point puts out a new engine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not sure why people are shocked by this. There are multiple other car manufacturers using a similar inline 6 with single or dual turbos to good use in a large portion of the vehicle line up.

Those whining about power figures need to do some research.  The X3M uses a nearly identical engine to this (3.0l and twin turbo) to push over 500hp.  So yes, the performance is DEFINITELY there.

A Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi pushing 395 hp could swap directly to a new TT I6, have over 400hp (similar to the newest ecoboosts from Ford), increase gas mileage and yet probably shave .5 to 1 second off it's 0-60 time because of the better torque band.

They'd literally be stupid NOT to do this.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Everything old is new again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Turbo straight sixes make stupid torque. Look at some YouTube videos where they turbo charged a 292 Chevy and it’s Amazing. I like the design where the intake and exhaust are on different sides of the cylinder head. Makes it easier to flow.  I’m very interested to hear the numbers for hp/tq.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol @ using 3.0L and 2 turbos to eek out 400HP.  And thats probably at the crank with no accessories.
You can get a used honda motor and 1 turbo and be putting out 475 to the wheels.
View Quote

You don't think a tune can help with that? I mean I'm sure you do, but you'd rather be on the side of ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#35]
3.0 straight 6

single turbo, double vane

30+mpg

320hp

330 lb-ft torque

smooth as silk

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

HOW TRUE THIS IS!
I put 265,000 miles on one in a 93 Grand Cherokee. Had plenty of other issues, but not a moments problem with the basic engine other than it burned a little oil when I sold that GC.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You don't think a tune can help with that? I mean I'm sure you do, but you'd rather be on the side of ignorance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post win
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#39]
About time...Back to the old ways...
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Bring back the inline 8
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You say that, but the 3.6 v-6 is a very reliable motor.  It's been around for a decade and has an excellent reputation.  It replaced another good motor, the 4.0 I-6.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say that, but the 3.6 v-6 is a very reliable motor.  It's been around for a decade and has an excellent reputation.  It replaced another good motor, the 4.0 I-6.

Let’s not forget the 5.9 Cummins and the current 6.7 Cummins.  Chrysler has a history of putting fantastic inline 6’s in their Jeeps and Dodge trucks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Let’s not forget the 5.9 Cummins and the current 6.7 Cummins.  Chrysler has a history of putting fantastic inline 6’s in their Jeeps and Dodge trucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, the diesels in dodge trucks aren’t designed or built exclusively by mopar. Not to take away that Cummins builds solid engines.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#43]
But they'll ruin it by putting it into a Jeep.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2 chargers on a single intake?
Is that a normalish thing?
View Quote

It’s pretty common to have a smaller charger feeding a larger charger.  It reduces lag.

The only thing better than a big turbo is a big turbo being fed by a smaller turbo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad I ordered my new Wrangler with the Mercedes-designed Pentastar before they introduced some new Chrysler shit under the hood.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Nearly as good as a stock Toyota 1UR-FE.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

kcolg30 does not like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kcolg30 does not like.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They can be a problem if they carbon up and stick open, but they are cheap and easy to replace.  Never a real issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can be a problem if they carbon up and stick open, but they are cheap and easy to replace.  Never a real issue.

Tell that to the owner of an EGR equipped turbo diesel, lol.  It causes a shit ton of problems.  Same for DI gas engines.

They seem to be pretty trouble-free on non-DI gas engines though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You say that, but the 3.6 v-6 is a very reliable motor.  It's been around for a decade and has an excellent reputation.  It replaced another good motor, the 3.8V6 which replaced the 4.0 I-6.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#50]
It must be one hell of an engine if they decided to adopt an inline 6 which is typically a packaging disaster.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top