View Quote
Takes too long.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Actually in Seattle it's called the "International District".  Which is also apparently not deemed to be racist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africatown?

Yeh, sorta like "Chinatown" - except that unlike Chinatown, it's apparently not deemed to be racist.

Actually in Seattle it's called the "International District".  Which is also apparently not deemed to be racist.

Years ago in Seattle I was helping SE Asian immigrants to learn English. The first day I got paired up with a Vietnamese guy and I pulled out my city map and asked him where he lived. "Zhi Dthow" he replied, more or less, pointing at the map. After a few more tries I worked it out and exclaimed "Oh, Chinatown" and he smiled and nodded.

I was pretty happy with how it was going. I mean, he had understood my question and answered me in English, just with a very thick accent, and we had a map full of places we might be able to talk about. Right then one of the organization's more senior people told us in a scolding tone "It's called the International District."

This was before taxonomists had even named and defined the Karen, but I knew in that moment that I had more in common with the fresh-off-the-boat immigrant than with this woman even though we shared a lot of surface attributes. Two of us were acting like normal, friendly human beings and she was putting political correctness before basic stuff like being able to communicate.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top