Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
AC/DC
Pink Floyd
Other
Other.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all, it's probably best to put some chronological constraints on this exercise, otherwise you get retardation like Rolling Stone (the rag, not the band) top 500 lists with Nirvana and Weezer fighting the Beatles and Boston for top billing.

Second, I find the lack of Credence Clearwater Revival in this thread disappointing.

That is all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AC/DC
Pink Floyd
Other
Other.
View Quote

I'm not sure about the top two, but we can agree on the other, other
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First of all, it's probably best to put some chronological constraints on this exercise, otherwise you get retardation like Rolling Stone (the rag, not the band) top 500 lists with Nirvana and Weezer fighting the Beatles and Boston for top billing.

Second, I find the lack of Credence Clearwater Revival in this thread disappointing.

That is all.
View Quote

And along that line would be the sad lack of Doobie Brothers and brief mention of the Allman Brothers
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones, in no particular order, are number 1 and 2 seeds. If you feel different you best visit another thread.

Beatles? GTFO and find a geezer thread elsewhere

View Quote

Ok millennial.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am not worthy to have missed both Iron Maiden and Van Halen in the initial post, hence proving this is indeed a conundrum at least for me
View Quote

Yet you leave out the Who.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
beatles, grateful dead, sabbath, the who
View Quote

Grateful dead?  Are you fucking serious?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok millennial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok millennial.

Quoted:

The third concert I ever attended was 1976 Black Sabbath. I still remember Ozzy vividly singing Iron Man. Later in years I saw Sabbath 2 more times, Ozzy 2 times, and Ronnie James Dio once.

What?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am a huge Jeff Beck fan but did not include him as a band, as to me he is more of a performer. The only band member I can think of that played with Jeff Beck doing anything original, would be Rod Stewart and that was a limited coupling as I remember.
View Quote

How about the Yardbirds?  That said, I don't think any of these bands that were around for a couple of years should even
be considered.  Eric Clapton is by far the most infamous song writer and musician of all times but OP is talking about bands.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chicago w/Terry Kath
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Classic Rock, not pop.

Excludes Chicago.

And I would exclude any band that relies on a fucking horn section. Go back to Band Camp.
View Quote

Go take a listen to Chicago Transit Authority (minus Free Form Guitar) and get back to us. It's on YT.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
There isn't a "Top" anything. Music had an explosion from the 50's to the 00's and to pick a "top" list is like pissing up a rope.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I would also have to throw Fleetwood Mac in the discussion.  In regards to "A band" they have turned out tons
of great stuff, especially in their early days.  Phenomenal career for Mick and the Macvies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How about the Yardbirds?  That said, I don't think any of these bands that were around for a couple of years should even
be considered.  Eric Clapton is by far the most infamous song writer and musician of all times but OP is talking about bands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a huge Jeff Beck fan but did not include him as a band, as to me he is more of a performer. The only band member I can think of that played with Jeff Beck doing anything original, would be Rod Stewart and that was a limited coupling as I remember.

The Yardbirds certainly saw more then their fair share of talent, albeit not all fully developed or consolidated. Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would also have to throw Fleetwood Mac in the discussion.  In regards to "A band" they have turned out tons
of great stuff, especially in their early days.  Phenomenal career for Mick and the Macvies.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
What is rock?

The Bands I listen to the most are:

Grateful Dead
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
The Pogues
Waterboys
Chieftains

There is a thread that flows thru all of those, I dont think it's Rock and Roll.  

And who the hell is Ronnie Drew?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
For a few boutique entries from OP would be:

The Michael Schenker Group
Scorpions
UFO

They are all related.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I'll play.

Floyd
CCR
Skynyrd
Eagles
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No arguments but if one cannot name at least 2 fellow band members, then the band was the performer in my opinion. Who played drums for Hendrix, guitar for Alice Cooper, Bass for Jethro Tull? Very few people can answer those questions or even care.
View Quote
No one in the band was named Jethro Tull. The lead singer/flute player is Ian Anderson. They were just like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd. It may SOUND like a person's name but it was a band.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Y & T

UFO

Thin Lizzy
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go take a listen to Chicago Transit Authority (minus Free Form Guitar) and get back to us. It's on YT.
View Quote

Chicago II as well in my opinion. It’s more “poppy” but dammit if Terry Kath wasn’t one talented man. I just watch “The Terry Kath Experience” on YouTube the other day. His daughter made it and it’s really good even if you aren’t a Chicago fan. CTA and II would be on my desert island album list.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Tomorrow Never Knows (Remastered 2009)
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll play.

Floyd
CCR
Skynyrd
Eagles
View Quote

CCR has now only been mentioned twice
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Beatles and the Who. How the ever-living fuck the Beatles are 'geezer' and the Stones are not is a feat of mental gymnastics I am unable to fathom.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dio Sabbath > Ozzy Sabbath > Glenn Hughes Sabbath  > Ian Gillan Sabbath

View Quote

Dio was better on his own than he was with Sabbath.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No one in the band was named Jethro Tull. The lead singer/flute player is Ian Anderson. They were just like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd. It may SOUND like a person's name but it was a band.
View Quote

I know who Ian Anderson is, but my point is who do you know from Jethro Tull that is not Ian Anderson (not mentioned originally as that is a given).
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For a few boutique entries from OP would be:

The Michael Schenker Group
Scorpions
UFO

They are all related.
View Quote

I thought VFH put on an awesome show AND had the best female attendees until I saw the Scorps in Europe. HOLY SHIT! Bouncing bare titties and plenty of winking snatches everywhere.

In that vein, Crue had some hot chicks flashing back in the day. Then I saw them in 2016 (15?) and the ladies were still stripping. Unfortunately, it was the same ladies that did it back in the 80s. Leather pancake tits swinging around everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Van Halen

Aerosmith

Van Halen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
AC/DC
Van Halen

That is classic ROCK.

Fuck Stink Floyd.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dio was better on his own than he was with Sabbath.
View Quote

But he was better with Blackmore's Rainbow

Speaking of which, no one mentioned Deep Purple???
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
1. Zeppelin
2. AC/DC
3. Van Halen
4. Rolling Stones

The Stones barely made the cut over The Who and Rush. They had a ton of great songs, but they also made a ton of albums, most of which had a lot of crap filler. Rush had great radio hits, but the rest sounds odd to me. The Who sounds dated compared to popular Stones songs. The rest of my list stands on their own merits. I debated putting AC/DC in the top spot however.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#32]
My top 2 classic rock bands (1st generation, pre 80s) are Led Zeppwlin and Pink Floyd

A top 4 would be hard for me to come up with.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen with DLR ONLY
Black Sabbath with Ozzy ONLY
KISS

I could throw together a top 20 of my musical tastes from the 70s but since this is limited there it is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#34]
This far down the second page, and not one mention of Motorhead yet?

I am disappoint.

So is Lemmy.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love (Official Music Video)

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black LIVE (1966)

AC/DC - It's A Long Way To The Top LIVE On TV 1976

The Who / Tommy - Pinball Wizard (1969)

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
zeppelin
who
floyd
sabbath(i actually liked dio better than ozzy but it was real close.

stones overrated,sorry.

saw sabbath(great).floyd(terrible sound in the olympic stadium),who(great)--also saw roger daltry with the MSO doing Tommy--fantastic!!!
jethro tull at place des arts(high end concert hall--front row center--great but ian anderson started losing his voice.
p.s.:

Jethro Tull (baptized 30 March 1674 – 21 February 1741, New Style) was an English agriculturist from Berkshire who helped to bring about the British Agricultural Revolution of the 18th century. He perfected a horse-drawn seed drill in 1700 that economically sowed the seeds in neat rows, and later developed a horse-drawn hoe. Tull's methods were adopted by many landowners and helped to provide the basis for modern agriculture.

saw deep purple--great,styx--great,more times than i can count,maybe 4 times or so.

kim mitchell--great,blue rodeo about 2 times--great.

robert plant with the MSO--great!!
saw other concerts too...
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Considering length of career and bodies of work, the Brits pretty much have it locked down.

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Bob seger , stones , zep and abb
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Some I haven't seen mentioned.

Blue Oyster Cult

The Moody Blues

The Grass Roots

and mentioned once and needs mentioned again

Bad Company
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#41]
The Who

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (yes they were a band; Mitch Mitchell on drums and Noel Redding on bass; no I didn't have to Google that. )

Led Zeppelin

Creedence Clearwater Revival

...are the four "classic rock" bands that I listened to the most over the years.

(Black Sabbath is early metal and thus falls into a different category IMO.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Is "classic" newspeak for "overplayed boomer bands"

And yes, I am shitposting
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:50:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is "classic" newspeak for "overplayed boomer bands"

And yes, I am shitposting
View Quote

Yes, you are, and no, you aren't wrong.

At 65, I missed most of the Grunge movement and "popular" rock of the 80s. My current favorite XM channel is XM 21, Little Stephen"s Underground Garage. It's a unique mix of 60/70 rock, Grunge, garage bands, and modern stuff that doesn't get played anywhere else. I don't agree with Van Zandant's politics or much of his music with Springsteen but I do laugh at his stories. I'll swing by the Hair Bands channels in small doses. It's all good.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Beatles
Dylan
Zeppelin
Grateful Dead
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No arguments but if one cannot name at least 2 fellow band members, then the band was the performer in my opinion. Who played drums for Hendrix, guitar for Alice Cooper, Bass for Jethro Tull? Very few people can answer those questions or even care.
View Quote

There is no one named Jethro Tull in Jethro Tull, it's the name of the band.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:15:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm 41 years old. This is all grandpa music.

Classic rocks stations should now be playing things like Nirvana and tool.

Pink Floyd and rolling stones and acdc should now simply be called Fossil rock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What?
View Quote

So you were alive in 1970 when the "Let It Be" album was released.

In terms or talent, contribution.

Zeppelin and the Beatles are probably top two.

Three and four could be any one of 40 groups which includes Queen and a few others you didn't mention. And some of your nominations were hilarious. I love Rush, one of my personal favorites and grew up listening to them but Top 4? Yeah...not gonna happen. Top 10? Maybe but even that is a stretch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Beatles and the Who. How the ever-living fuck the Beatles are 'geezer' and the Stones are not is a feat of mental gymnastics I am unable to fathom.
View Quote

Preach. Lucky this is about groups or we'd have to add Elvis to the list. People would cry but he moved the ball forward unlike most others.

And seriously, Rock N Roll is Bill Haley and the Comets and before that all the black R&B artists who actually invented rock n roll. It's all geezer music.

Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin and the rest are modern rock before the full evolution to heavy metal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Uhh, Jethro Tull was a band
View Quote

Stones
The Who
Skynerd
AC-DC

with Tull at #5, even though it's not Rock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Tom Petty
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top