Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2017 8:52:20 AM EDT
What was ultimate custom bike of the early to mid 90s?  I'm not talking something that got trailered to shows or taken out on weekends while wearing crisp and clean riding leather.  I'm looking for a biker's bike.  Whole bug in the teeth lifestyle for a guy who just about lived on his bike.  Need it for a character in my most recent novel.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Goldwings probably longed the most miles...
That would be my best guess.

ETA: not a bit sexy though...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go with an older Triumph Bonneville
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure but I know as a kid the Honda CBR900 sure looked awesome to me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#4]
A biker's bike of the late 80's-90's: Honda Nighthawk

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of guy?  A normal motorcyclist or a Harley biker?  If the latter,something like an FLHS or FLHR. If the former,tell us more about the character,he could be on an airhead BMW of some sort that he's already put 100k on or he could have a KLR dual sport or maybe he picked what Cycle World picked as best street bike every year through the 90s and rode a Honda VFR...but that would depend upon his character.

For a guy who lived for adventure and rode everywhere everywhere I would suggest a BMW R100GS,the bike of choice of world travellers of the time. Give him some correct Touratech panniers and it would allow him to carry all manner of otherwise improbable stuff needed for rugged adventures.

Of course if you are shooting for lone wolf on a Harley that only needs 1 pair of underwear then that is another thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I always had a thing for the 1970's 750 Nortons.  They may be more dated than you want for your character though.  Maybe if you told more about the kind of rider you are trying to portray it would help us find a bike that would fit that character.

Is he an outlaw type, cruiser, sport bike, sidecar, or touring type of person?

A guy into touring would have a different idea of the ultimate bike than an outlaw, or cruiser would.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on the character a Harley FXR was the badass Harley of the time.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys, the character in question is a mechanic and Marine Vietnam Vet, he would be riding alone and probably do a lot of the custom work on the bike himself.  The Rat Bikes are closest to what I'm thinking for the character.  Is the term "Rat Bike" something that would have been used in 1995?  I'm thinking Rat Rods and I don't remember hearing that term more than ten years ago.

Thanks for the help on this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
My buddy had a Voyager II and if they still made them I would have gotten one
instead of a Goldwing. Then new ones are V-twins.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Rat rods have been around a long time.

http://www.ratfink.com/rat-fink-cartoon.php
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Mechanic and vet. Definitely Harley. Mid-nineties was the peak of the 'Hollywood Harley" culture so he should ride an old rigid frame panhead or shovelhead. Holding with tradition and piss on the new tech. See Dave Mann's paintings ( Ghostrider I think) for the style.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rat rods have been around a long time.

http://www.ratfink.com/rat-fink-cartoon.php
View Quote
Wow, I remember that stuff as a kid, guess I just never heard the term.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]
When a lot of dudes came home from Vietnam they wanted fast bikes, at the time it was the Triumph Bonnie Nortons, BSAs and Harley Sportsters. Pans and Shovels were cool but they were heavier. Earlier in to the 70's Kawasaki's and Honda's started making names for themselves. It wasn't unusual for guys to bob their bikes meaning take off everything non essential to speed. Not to be confused with chopping where they might have been stretched raked hardtailed or other wise modified for coolnes. Ratbike is a modern term at the time is a matter of making use of what you had.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like a BMW R1100R.  Those are classically pretty bikes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#16]
This seems fitting...

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
No,he certainly wouldn't call it a rat bike and if he was his own mechanic and the bike his sole means of transportation then it probably would be well work but not a heap. It would be realistic enough to have him still riding the bike he bought when he came home,whether a Norton,Triumph or Harley of the ~1966-1972 era or really anything in between. I would suggest finding a bike you like the look of and go from there but just one thing,AMF Harleys - from 69-81-are generally reknown as the worst with the mid to late 70s pretty tragic.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything  built by this guy..

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Norton Commando S, BSA Gold Star 500, or the bike posted above by Garyindiane

Edit: or something built by Indian Larry RIP
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmm, getting warmer, what type of bike is this?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Seconding the FXR . Evo .
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Too new. Twin-cam Road King that has been done up to imitate the old bikes. Twin-cam engine came out about 2000.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I would say a slab side shovel or panhead is what you after. The slab side shovel of pan shovel was about as good as it got before AMF fucked everything up. Plus they are kind of like one of those things people in the know love. I think member terdferguson and Smarcus has one. Also member Osprey speaks the gospel when it comes to vintage bikes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Ooh, excellent, thanks for those links.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys, the character in question is a mechanic and Marine Vietnam Vet, he would be riding alone and probably do a lot of the custom work on the bike himself.  The Rat Bikes are closest to what I'm thinking for the character.  Is the term "Rat Bike" something that would have been used in 1995?  I'm thinking Rat Rods and I don't remember hearing that term more than ten years ago.

Thanks for the help on this.
View Quote
I would think A Vietnam Vet would have bought his bike when got back from Vietnam.  A Harley Shovelhead of whichever year he came home.  He would have wanted the escape of the bike and as a mechanic a Shovelhead is perfect.  After 20 years of riding the bike would be in various sates of customization as to his needs, plus a bit ratty from all the miles but solid where it counted ie:  a strong motor.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would say a slab side shovel or panhead is what you after. The slab side shovel of pan shovel was about as good as it got before AMF fucked everything up. Plus they are kind of like one of those things people in the know love. I think member terdferguson and Smarcus has one. Also member Osprey speaks the gospel when it comes to vintage bikes.
View Quote
Ah, yeah that's what I'm looking for I think.  What are the handle bars that are higher than stock but not over the head called?  Are they all classified as ape hangars?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#28]
1975 FXE Shovelhead.  Now imagine the bike below with 20 years of wear.  Add some worn leather saddle bags, forward controls for long highway runs, different bars possibly, a sissy bar with a bunch of gear / bedroll strapped to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#29]
If he got back from RVN in 69 or 70 this was the fastest bike on the road.

Kawasaki H1

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#30]
They are still apes some folks might call the mid handle bars. Rule of thumb never run handlebars higher than your shoulder for long rides.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Excellent bike.  Good looking, quick, dependable, maneuverable, etc.

I still have the CB650SC Nighthawk that I bought back in 1985.  Added two 1984 VF1100S Sabres to go along with it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#32]
http://imgur.com/a/LiuDL
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
This is a good choice.  Triumph Bonneville was more 60's and 70's.  Crotch rockets after 2K
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#34]
From that era, the V-Max was badass. Plus, it has a kind of Road Warrior vibe.

ETA: If being a mechanic is part of the persona, skip the V-Max and put him on a Harley or a Brit bike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Shovel head for cool factor. But what he probably wants and what was seen then are the EVOs. It really is a solid engine.

My vote is an Evo FXR. Unless he is talking about touring then it would be an FLH of some kind.

I cut my teeth on the bike scene around that time. Honestly I hate the actual custom bikes from that era...I am looking at you Arlene Ness! But a ''60s-70s chopper sings to my soul these days despite my hating them back then.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Royal Enfield with sidecar
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#37]
The  Nighthawk S was made from '84-'86. My first bike back in 1988 was an '86.

The one I currently own is an '84.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#39]
My old Enfield (sold it a couple of years ago).

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Ironhead Sportster
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for all the great input everyone.  Looks like it will be a Shovel Head.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No,he certainly wouldn't call it a rat bike and if he was his own mechanic and the bike his sole means of transportation then it probably would be well work but not a heap. It would be realistic enough to have him still riding the bike he bought when he came home,whether a Norton,Triumph or Harley of the ~1966-1972 era or really anything in between. I would suggest finding a bike you like the look of and go from there but just one thing,AMF Harleys - from 69-81-are generally reknown as the worst with the mid to late 70s pretty tragic.
View Quote
You should probably look a little deeper into "Rat Bikes" and the guys who ride them.

While the bikes they ride may look like a "heap" to you, they're far more reliable than what they may appear to be. Those machines don't look like they do because they're garage queens, the guys who ride them put tons of miles on them. They ride not polish and shine and "Chrome don't get ya home". The guys who ride them ARE their own mechanics and they're typically damn good at it.

As far as the "AMF are the worst" comment? The shitty parts made by AMF have long been replaced by now, unless the bike has been in storage for 40+ years.

OP: The term "Rat Bike" has been around since before I started riding in the early 80's. The guys I've met riding rat bikes are typically unique, one of a kind, no bullshit type of guys who can fix their bike on the side of the road with baling wire, bubble gum, duct tape, and a 16 penny nail to get to the next town, not call a tow like 90 percent of the "bikers" here in GD.

You  should head to Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, or one or more of the BIG bike rallys. Talk to the guys who ride rat bikes and the vets who ride. Model your character after a combo of both. You may even fond your exact "character".
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Pickers would have a stroke if they found that..
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Googled "rat goldwing". Never would have occurred to me that such a thing would exist, now I kinda want to build one!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Confederate Cycles
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Confederate Hellcat
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What kind of guy?  A normal motorcyclist or a Harley biker?  If the latter,something like an FLHS or FLHR. If the former,tell us more about the character,he could be on an airhead BMW of some sort that he's already put 100k on or he could have a KLR dual sport or maybe he picked what Cycle World picked as best street bike every year through the 90s and rode a Honda VFR...but that would depend upon his character.

For a guy who lived for adventure and rode everywhere everywhere I would suggest a BMW R100GS,the bike of choice of world travellers of the time. Give him some correct Touratech panniers and it would allow him to carry all manner of otherwise improbable stuff needed for rugged adventures.

http://goodtill.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/R100GSPD/DSCN0983/513759696_ULM56-L.jpg

Of course if you are shooting for lone wolf on a Harley that only needs 1 pair of underwear then that is another thing.
View Quote
That's a cool bike! I'd love an adventure bike. Sadly I would probably never really use it as it's intended.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#49]
You can't go wrong with a chopper.  Timeless

It can be new, old, whatever.  If the front forks are raked out, it doesn't matter how old the bike is.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#50]
To me, mid-90's does not qualify as "classic".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top