BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hahah - seriously ?   All the dumb shit getting posted in this thread and I'm the asshole ..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuckin' derp up in here ...

Go away, the adults are speaking.
Hahah - seriously ?   All the dumb shit getting posted in this thread and I'm the asshole ..

Why don't you use your words like a big boy, and tell us what's got you so upset.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So it uses a barrel bushing instead of a barrel nut?

Now I'm curious what type of socket you use to tighten it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the barrel nut threads are inside of the extended portion of the receiver.

https://soldiersystems.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/img_2925.jpg

Like this one
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is the M4E1 one piece or is the extension screwed on somehow?  I've never seen one in person.
View Quote

One piece. The barrel nut is threaded externally and screws into the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn’t and wouldn’t call you an asshole. It’s my habit to never say in writing via anonymous internet anything I wouldn’t say I  person.

I’m my mind your a fellow gunnut that for some reason dropped in, slung some snark and left.

I’m a ‘fairly’ well read Colt buff but I learn and get corrected (another form of learning) in these forums constantly. How often is does a major OEM make changes to their bread and butter?

And the rathole goes deeper. How long before M4 receivers are ‘old style’. It just keeps going.

I am aware of the Colt hate club and they need a place to opine as well. But I’m not sure we’re discussing ‘better’ or most modern. I think some of us are interested in the impact this may have and it’s very interesting.

I’m not in the market but I’ve upped my Fo price from $1200 to $1500 as I have personal use with these uppers and receivers in their big bores.

TLDR/ I’m an old fart and wouldn’t call you an asshole.
Unless it was in person so you could react accordingly.

Us old farts find minutiae in engineering fascinating.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why don't you use your words like a big boy, and tell us what's got you so upset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuckin' derp up in here ...

Go away, the adults are speaking.

This thread in is GD first off - in case y'all didn't notice ...

People in this thread :

Eeww gross - ?? looks like most other ar-15's , no ?
Colt sucks - I know right , cause have a proven , reliable rifle is terrible ...
Colt is behind the times - maybe a little , however ahead of many others in this aspect .
Stupid carbine gas , hard pass - derrrrrrrrrrrrr ....
Colt sucks .....
Not worth the $$ - ambi lower , free float rail , Colt factory parts ...

If people keep posting dumb shit we can keep going .
OP if you really want to talk technical there are places here for that - GD is for sure not fucking one of them !

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the barrel nut threads are inside of the extended portion of the receiver.

Like this one

So there's only one guy who makes these wrenches, and they're over $100?

All this extra cost for an anti-rotation tab like SLR already uses? I'll just stick with SLR, personally.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Didn't and wouldn't call you an asshole. It's my habit to never say in writing via anonymous internet anything I wouldn't say I  person.

I'm my mind your a fellow gunnut that for some reason dropped in, slung some snark and left.

I'm a 'fairly' well read Colt buff but I learn and get corrected (another form of learning) in these forums constantly. How often is does a major OEM make changes to their bread and butter?

And the rathole goes deeper. How long before M4 receivers are 'old style'. It just keeps going.

I am aware of the Colt hate club and they need a place to opine as well. But I'm not sure we're discussing 'better' or most modern. I think some of us are interested in the impact this may have and it's very interesting.

I'm not in the market but I've upped my Fo price from $1200 to $1500 as I have personal use with these uppers and receivers in their big bores.

TLDR/ I'm an old fart and wouldn't call you an asshole.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't and wouldn't call you an asshole. It's my habit to never say in writing via anonymous internet anything I wouldn't say I  person.

I'm my mind your a fellow gunnut that for some reason dropped in, slung some snark and left.

I'm a 'fairly' well read Colt buff but I learn and get corrected (another form of learning) in these forums constantly. How often is does a major OEM make changes to their bread and butter?

And the rathole goes deeper. How long before M4 receivers are 'old style'. It just keeps going.

I am aware of the Colt hate club and they need a place to opine as well. But I'm not sure we're discussing 'better' or most modern. I think some of us are interested in the impact this may have and it's very interesting.

I'm not in the market but I've upped my Fo price from $1200 to $1500 as I have personal use with these uppers and receivers in their big bores.

TLDR/ I'm an old fart and wouldn't call you an asshole.

Not trying to start anything man , by any means .
You just replied to what I said in a manner that was funny to me .

And I am an asshole , no argument from me !  Generally I am easy going and get along well though .
Not a yute here either .

also , see my last post ..
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All this extra cost for an anti-rotation tab like SLR already uses? I'll just stick with SLR, personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this one

I thought there was someone / company that made them also - D. Wilson maybe ?
That's just the recent I saw on GB .

Between the barrel locked up in the receiver and the rail locked on to the receiver shit's solid .

eta :  didn't see the description saying he made them and sold through Brownelled ... D.Wilson's site doesn't show them .
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thought about but instead I purchased a 1981 Colt SP1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]
They really should have gone with the mid-length barrel they're already using on the 6960.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, the forwardly EXTENDED part of the RECEIVER that is like a trunnion, has a tab or fin that has two semicircular cutouts that the two screws that "pinch" the handguard together also keep it from rotation and secure it to the EXTENDED UPPER RECEIVER

Thanks to @texassggie2005 for the pic

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/43129/hHzIEBl_png-2511872.JPG

those two cutouts are where the rail attachment screws mechanically lock the rail to the extended upper receiver
View Quote

Alright that’s totally my bad then. The pictures I had seen didn’t illustrate that.

Should be pretty secure then. I wish key’d uppers would become standardized and normal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

The Colt design appears to be the flacid uncircumcised version of Aero's M4E1.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Alright that’s totally my bad then. The pictures I had seen didn’t illustrate that.

Should be pretty secure then. I wish key’d uppers would become standardized and normal.
View Quote

SLR uses an anti-rotation insert that fits over the gas tube right next to the upper receiver. The only way it will rotate is if you somehow manage to shear the gas tube completely.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the M4E1 one piece or is the extension screwed on somehow?  I've never seen one in person.
View Quote

The upper is solid and the barrel nut threads inside the chunky bit so the handguards have zero chance of torquing the barrel. IIRC the internal diameter of the HG's is 1.5" so most cans will fit underneath.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was wondering what happened to the LE901.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE901, and their 7.62x39 variant that those retards never offered here in the states. That would’ve been massively popular, seeing as the rifle’s built around 308, and downsized to 7.62x39.

May fuck be upon LMT for their BS suit against Colt that resulted in the MARC crap. I remember the 901 going for something like $1400-$1600 years ago, now they’re over $3000 when you can find them.

Although, KAC did make a better 7.62 AR that took AK mags, not sure about the bolt life, but it had a nifty AR mag release button. Supposedly, they made less than a dozen of them, one left in the Knights vault, the others in a US Navy armory somewhere. Been a long time since I looked it up.

Basically discontinued, aside from their contract rifles. Think it’s been replaced by their “modular” rifle, same lower, just a more standard upper with a m-lok rail.  

LMT sued Colt for patent infringement, claiming the 6940 two-piece upper design was a rip off of their MRP upper. LMT won, forcing Colt to pay royalties for each upper sold.

I believe LMT paid someone off, or Colt abandoned the case. It’s the only answers that make sense, Colt’s “monolithic” upper isn’t a true single piece, and uses a more traditional barrel nut, rather than the clamp design that LMT uses.  They’re different enough that anyone with two brain cells can tell that they were designed independently from one another, and with different philosophies. The 6940 was specifically for military customers, had a removable lower rail to allow for mounting an M203.

IIRC, Colt began work on the 6940 and the 901 for SOCOM’s SCAR trials, but weren’t able to complete the 308 version of the 901 in time, hence FNH ended up winning.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn’t the rail, a like Geiselle Sooper Doodie?
View Quote

Yup, was my first thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Alright that's totally my bad then. The pictures I had seen didn't illustrate that.

Should be pretty secure then. I wish key'd uppers would become standardized and normal.
View Quote

I got a hands on with three or four of them a month ago.  I'm not a dedicated Colt fanboi or anything, but I really like this setup.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no idea in hell how I missed This thread.

The pros have been dissecting this thing since May.

I think I failed so hard they wouldn’t even answer my SOS.

Lots of good info from credible sources in that thread.

This should help envision the setup.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#19]
They need to bring back the 901 or cm762 or m7 carbine. The 901 was stupid accurate but overall it was a soft for 308 recoil, and with a brake it feels like a normal carbine gassed m4.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#20]
There isn't a whole lot there that a competiting company sells cheaper.  I think Id rather have a FN.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There isn't a whole lot there that a competiting company sells cheaper.  I think Id rather have a FN.
View Quote

I dunno what marketing genius told Colt they could charge JP-15 prices for Walmart koality but they should have their ass removed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Colt design appears to be the flacid uncircumcised version of Aero's M4E1.
View Quote
I'd call it a streamlined version that doesn't need eight screws to attach a rail the diameter of a 24oz beer can.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Full ambi and a better rail attachment system.  LWRCI DI would be somewhat comparable and retails for $17XX without BUIS. The Colt just hit market so I could see prices coming down.

Not sure why people hate this thing so much.  Oh, that's right, because it's a Colt.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Solid design but 5-10 years too late.

Please don't tell me they are using an M4 barrel profile under that handguard......
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd call it a streamlined version that doesn't need eight screws to attach a rail the diameter of a 24oz beer can.
View Quote

If the barrel nut fully supported the receiver's foreskin I'd agree since it would make it more rigid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Eh.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They need to bring back the 901 or cm762 or m7 carbine. The 901 was stupid accurate but overall it was a soft for 308 recoil, and with a brake it feels like a normal carbine gassed m4.
View Quote

You are correct in my experience but I can’t articulate why or if it’s just ‘feels’.

I’m a 308 AR junkie including a monolithic rail GAP10 and a DPMS A2. That’s just an example of the ‘spectrum’ of big bore AR’s with several OEMs in between the two.

The 901 and CM762 both have a softer impulse with the CM762 (big bore upper copy of the new M5) being the most comfortable. It’s gassy suppressed but I haven’t done any charging handle swaps or modifications to try and help in that regard.

I am not a fan of the ambi receiver design. The area of metal for all the roll pins look like a potential fail point.
Maybe it’s just cosmetic as I’ve not heard of any failures but there’s not exactly a mass of these receivers in the field. I’ll be waiting to see if it is a weak point.

Makes me wonder how many folks will bust the receiver by attempting roll pin installation ‘unsupported’. And, it’s not like the trigger guard as there is no means for supporting on opposite side of the hole.
I’m guessing most people who use the pressure methods as opposed to hammer methods will be okay but there will be some unfortunate learning curves for our new Legos.

Honestly I’d love to have the new A5 but I’ll wait and see for a year or three.

I agree this new design doesn’t offer much in tech advancement or do things better than any other quality AR and it’s unproven to be a SHTF platform. Yet it is interesting to see how the industry may react. Imitation being the ultimate yadda, yadda.

My PSA does 99.87% of what my LWRC does yet we get bored with the known (unless your an operator).

Here’s an example of the ambi control roll pin points I’m concerned with. Although none are load bearing the material is minimal for error. Time and hard use by hard men will ultimately be the jury.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are correct in my experience but I can't articulate why or if it's just 'feels'.

I'm a 308 AR junkie including a monolithic rail GAP10 and a DPMS A2. That's just an example of the 'spectrum' of big bore AR's with several OEMs in between the two.

The 901 and CM762 both have a softer impulse with the CM762 (big bore upper copy of the new M5) being the most comfortable. It's gassy suppressed but I haven't done any charging handle swaps or modifications to try and help in that regard.

I am not a fan of the ambi receiver design. The area of metal for all the roll pins look like a potential fail point.
Maybe it's just cosmetic as I've not heard of any failures but there's not exactly a mass of these receivers in the field. I'll be waiting to see if it is a weak point.

Makes me wonder how many folks will bust the receiver by attempting roll pin installation 'unsupported'. And, it's not like the trigger guard as there is no means for supporting on opposite side of the hole.
I'm guessing most people who use the pressure methods as opposed to hammer methods will be okay but there will be some unfortunate learning curves for our new Legos.

Honestly I'd love to have the new A5 but I'll wait and see for a year or three.

I agree this new design doesn't offer much in tech advancement or do things better than any other quality AR and it's unproven to be a SHTF platform. Yet it is interesting to see how the industry may react. Imitation being the ultimate yadda, yadda.

My PSA does 99.87% of what my LWRC does yet we get bored with the known (unless your an operator).

Here's an example of the ambi control roll pin points I'm concerned with. Although none are load bearing the material is minimal for error. Time and hard use by hard men will ultimately be the jury.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/4523705D-2AD3-4F70-BA0E-E75280945AF3_jpe-2512770.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467962/81A1D47C-AD6D-43A2-9846-29DFA7476D81_jpe-2512773.JPG
View Quote
The thing I like most about the LE901 is how compact it feels. It's like an M4 with a big magazine.

I hate the weight, and I'm also surprised to see people say they are soft shooting.  The ones I've shot beat you up worse than a G3.  Maybe Colt tweaked them after the initial release.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Should have paired it with the 6960 upper or offered the lower as a stand-alone unit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Basically discontinued, aside from their contract rifles. Think it’s been replaced by their “modular” rifle, same lower, just a more standard upper with a m-lok rail.  

LMT sued Colt for patent infringement, claiming the 6940 two-piece upper design was a rip off of their MRP upper. LMT won, forcing Colt to pay royalties for each upper sold.

I believe LMT paid someone off, or Colt abandoned the case. It’s the only answers that make sense, Colt’s “monolithic” upper isn’t a true single piece, and uses a more traditional barrel nut, rather than the clamp design that LMT uses.  They’re different enough that anyone with two brain cells can tell that they were designed independently from one another, and with different philosophies. The 6940 was specifically for military customers, had a removable lower rail to allow for mounting an M203.

IIRC, Colt began work on the 6940 and the 901 for SOCOM’s SCAR trials, but weren’t able to complete the 308 version of the 901 in time, hence FNH ended up winning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LE901, and their 7.62x39 variant that those retards never offered here in the states. That would’ve been massively popular, seeing as the rifle’s built around 308, and downsized to 7.62x39.

May fuck be upon LMT for their BS suit against Colt that resulted in the MARC crap. I remember the 901 going for something like $1400-$1600 years ago, now they’re over $3000 when you can find them.

Although, KAC did make a better 7.62 AR that took AK mags, not sure about the bolt life, but it had a nifty AR mag release button. Supposedly, they made less than a dozen of them, one left in the Knights vault, the others in a US Navy armory somewhere. Been a long time since I looked it up.

The lawsuit seemed bs, there isn’t much that colt hadn’t experimented with in the 60-90’s. I think a lot of ideas never got patented. Seems the mrp should expire soon I would think?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please don't tell me they are using an M4 barrel profile under that handguard......
View Quote
SOCOM
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The lawsuit seemed bs, there isn’t much that colt hadn’t experimented with in the 60-90’s. I think a lot of ideas never got patented. Seems the mrp should expire soon I would think?
View Quote

Anytime business fight to that extent I root for the little guy unless I have some inside info.
To take on Colts legal team and then ‘win’ there was obviously some justification.
At least in my mind.

As it is, we got ‘both’. The LMT design with the Colt name. My 6940s are some of my favorites.
And for the record, they don’t do much that a 69xx or PSA ‘stripped’ doesn’t do.

Same things true for women but nobody arguing about that!

fully aware lots of females / ladies / women are on this site. wouldn’t be fair to exclude you from the bashings
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Some good pics at this vendor and a little cheaper price.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Full ambi and a better rail attachment system.  LWRCI DI would be somewhat comparable and retails for $17XX without BUIS. The Colt just hit market so I could see prices coming down.

Not sure why people hate this thing so much.  Oh, that's right, because it's a Colt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will once the novelty wears off and the market calms itself.  I can see this at a MSRP of $1799, with deals around the price of a 6920 SOCOM, so long as it doesn't become a limited item every other year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I ‘think’ as illustrated in the ongoing post I referenced with their cheaper price and  $100 Labor Day coupon your assessment ($1799) is near reality.

Problem (for some) is, no one can verify if the vendor has them available to ship ‘now’.

I like some of the others previous  comparison to a LWRC DI.
I’m still a wait and see if it handles real world abuse but I’m thinking the price point isn’t as crazy as was first blush without all the info.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’d much prefer pencil but I’ll take M4 profile over government or HBAR any day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’d much prefer pencil but I’ll take M4 profile over government or HBAR any day.
View Quote

I wish I still had the barrel from my sporter HBAR, Id send it off for some nice deep flutes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone know how the gas block is secured?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone know how the gas block is secured?
View Quote
@hypno02

Pinned.  It's a factory "shaved" standard gas block
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@hypno02

Pinned.  It's a factory "shaved" standard gas block
View Quote

Thanks man. No better way to secure a gas block IMO. Can anyone confirm it is indeed socom profile?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks man. No better way to secure a gas block IMO. Can anyone confirm it is indeed socom profile?
View Quote
That's what I saw when I shot them
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's what I saw when I shot them
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. If they can build these at CZ/old colt quality standards they'll be worth the price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback. If they can build these at CZ/old colt quality standards they'll be worth the price.
View Quote
I'm getting a couple guns and a couple uppers for a long term T&E.  I'll post some pics and my results when I'm finished with it
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Why are these engraved "M5" and not "M5 Carbine"?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So the main "upgrade" is the ambi lower?
View Quote

Guess you missed the advanced air cooling system.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Colt that looks similar, it didn't cost me $1995.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should have done the big brain move and bought a license for Vltor's polylithic upper.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top