Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/27/2023 9:20:40 PM EDT
Wrapped up completely by now.

These shells were really old, probably not all that viable in combat. Just for the record.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That VX will have come in handy for a couple hundred million screaming Chinamen here in a few years…
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a guy who did that job for a while.

His qualification was that he was willing to do it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming they could've been moved, which is likely a giant assumption, their Johnson Island destruction notwithstanding, I'd have sold them to the ROKs instead.

I'm very glad we're so good at killing now that we don't need to use chemical weapons.

Aside, has anybody done any long term health studies on chemical weapon custodial personnel?  I'd thought that such data would be useful in ruling out potential causes of Gulf War Syndrome.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know a guy who did that job for a while.

His qualification was that he was willing to do it.
View Quote

Most Japanese nuclear power workers have yakuza connections.  They are the only ones willing to work in nuclear power plants.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought they closed Johnston Island years ago and the stockpile demolition was finished.  

Weren't we at some point destroying old Soviet stockpiles?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a kid when they dumped a bunch of chemical weapons in the ocean.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It probably would have been cheaper to give them to Ukraine than to safely dismantle them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The French still dig them up in their yards.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought they closed Johnston Island years ago and the stockpile demolition was finished.  

View Quote

I have a friend who was on Johnson Island for awhile. It's closed, the only people out there are researchers.

It wouldn't be surprising to hear that the US government helped dismantle Soviet stockpiles of chemical weapons. They certainly put a lot of work into securing nuclear stockpiles.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Johnston is closed now. Early 2k’s I think.
I passed through in the 90’s. The security was significant. Single file off the plane, no pictures of anything, 2 humvee’s with roof mounted MG’s-manned by guys with gas mask chemical hoods at the ready..MG’s generally pointed toward the plane nose and people getting off. They had a gas mask and 2 pre loaded syringes (dopamine and atropine) for each person in the flight waiting room. Armed guards all around the waiting room.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife when she first got out of school wrote some of the apps for tracking the demil stuff. She had a lot of fun doing the work as she had to learn a lot about the weapons and all the parts of the war heads. She had a clearance and went to utah to over see some of the software implementation
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully this is wrapped up completely by now.

These shells were really old, probably not all that viable in combat. Just for the record.
View Quote
It included destruction of binary munitions which were shelf stable and mixed upon firing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a friend who was on Johnson Island for awhile. It's closed, the only people out there are researchers.

It wouldn't be surprising to hear that the US government helped dismantle Soviet stockpiles of chemical weapons. They certainly put a lot of work into securing nuclear stockpiles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was so poorly QAed and stored it didn't even require destruction except to save face for the Russians.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s great. We are leading the way!  Rah Rah!  Is any other country complying?  Is there any verification?  If some one used their stockpile on us, we are phukt. We will have no retaliation in kind.  Thanks Joe for handing us over so easily. Don’t spend it all in one place.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Johnson Island wasn’t the only stockpile.

I did a lot of work at the Pine Bluff Arsenal and they had plenty of their own.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That’s great. We are leading the way!  Rah Rah!  Is any other country complying?  Is there any verification?  If some one used their stockpile on us, we are phukt. We will have no retaliation in kind.  Thanks Joe for handing us over so easily. Don’t spend it all in one place.
View Quote

It's been a decades long effort. The Russian stockpiles were inspected as part of the treaty.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Johnson Island wasn't the only stockpile.

I did a lot of work at the Pine Bluff Arsenal and they had plenty of their own.

View Quote
I was stationed on a site in West Germany that had a stockpile. I was there when they were shipped to Johnston.
Fun times.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Johnston is closed now. Early 2k's I think.
I passed through in the 90's. The security was significant. Single file off the plane, no pictures of anything, 2 humvee's with roof mounted MG's-manned by guys with gas mask chemical hoods at the ready..MG's generally pointed toward the plane nose and people getting off. They had a gas mask and 2 pre loaded syringes (dopamine and atropine) for each person in the flight waiting room. Armed guards all around the waiting room.
View Quote
2-PAM Chloride and atropine.
The kit would have looked like this:

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't know the French farmed chemical weapons.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They call it the "Iron Harvest." Unexploded bombs, mortar and artillery shells, and occasionally mustard gas shells.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do, it’s called cheese.

I was in a small town in France when someone plowed up UXO from WWII, a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our policy for retaliation is WMDs are WMDs, Chem, nuke, bio, all get the same response so we don't need Chem or Bio to respond.
I was at Deseret Chemical Depot in the 90s. Those munitions were in shit condition and we are better off they are gone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/cholinesterase/images/atropine_autoinjector.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I passed through in the 90's. The security was significant. Single file off the plane, no pictures of anything, 2 humvee's with roof mounted MG's-manned by guys with gas mask chemical hoods at the ready..MG's generally pointed toward the plane nose and people getting off. They had a gas mask and 2 pre loaded syringes (dopamine and atropine) for each person in the flight waiting room. Armed guards all around the waiting room.

With a Valium injector to stop the seizures, so your funky chicken dance doesn't freak out your coworkers as they attempt to survive whatever got you.

Happy thoughts.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Good. Should have been done decades ago. Wonder why it took so long?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With a Valium injector to stop the seizures, so your funky chicken dance doesn't freak out your coworkers as they attempt to survive whatever got you.

Happy thoughts.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy thoughts.

Kharn
I was never issued Valium, just 3 sets of injectors and 7ea., 28-round magazines. M17 never left your person while on the site.

ETA: Funny story. Our Chemical NCO was borrowed from the Chemical Company next door in our Bn. She said, "If you ever see someone flopping around, get their mask on them, give them all 3 sets of injectors, then take their watch and wallet. If they get better you can always give them back, but odds were you wouldn't have to."
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#27]
We should have kept them in my opinion. I don't trust our enemies have gotten rid of theirs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We should have kept them in my opinion. I don't trust our enemies have gotten rid of theirs.
View Quote
I would much rather be nuked than have to deal with chem.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I was at the Chemical Depot in Umatilla Oregon when they were trying to get that boondoggle plant open.  They eventually worked through all the gas there.  I loved exploring to conventional bunkers though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was never issued Valium, just 3 sets of injectors and 7ea., 28-round magazines. M17 never left your person while on the site.

ETA: Funny story. Our Chemical NCO was borrowed from the Chemical Company next door in our Bn. She said, "If you ever see someone flopping around, get their mask on them, give them all 3 sets of injectors, then take their watch and wallet. If they get better you can always give them back, but odds were you wouldn't have to."
View Quote
pics of chemical NCO?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming your enemy is as disciplined.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a dumb post.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was stationed on a site in West Germany that had a stockpile. I was there when they were shipped to Johnston.
Fun times.
View Quote
really?

remember Big Lou and Paintball?

how about a red dog tag from 763?

who had a zebra pic on his GP ID card?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good. Should have been done decades ago. Wonder why it took so long?
View Quote

It seems that it required the designing and manufacturing of a lot of specialized equipment. Somewhere there's a documentary that details the robotic process of dismantling mustard gas artillery rounds from WW2.

Which leaves me wondering how they made industrial quantities of this shit back in those days. I suppose we have different standards for safe working conditions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speaking strictly from my own perspective, some weapons are more trouble than they are worth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#36]
A lot is/was being done in Pueblo Colorado.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Speaking strictly from my own perspective, some weapons are more trouble than they are worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd even be okay demilling them and keeping a Glowmar response.

Announcing we're getting rid of them seems foolish.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Johnston was the first incinerator site.

There were several others like Tooele and Anniston.  The incinerators were the “stockpile” program.

Due to politics, Pueblo and Blugrass were designated as non incinerator sites and fell under the Alternative Chemical Wrapons Program. Cost the taxpayers lots of extra dollars and years due to the incinerators being much more efficient and a known technology.

The third part of the program was the non-stockpile program which developed mobile destruction units for items found in the field vs sitting in a warehouse.

There other projects that fell under these programs for getting rid of specialized items like the ton containers and binary weapons.

There are still untouched sites that don’t fall under the treaty (think ocean vs land)

As far as the Russian stuff…maybe…
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, then let me ask you just one question.

Would you be okay sleeping in a room with a pallet of mustard gas artillery rounds that were manufactured in 1943?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was done under treaty, OPCW is the organization tasked with inspection and verification.

It has been going on for decades and has not been a secret.

https://www.opcw.org/chemical-weapons-convention
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Would you be okay sleeping in a room with a pallet of mustard gas artillery rounds that were manufactured in 1943?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the circumstance, but I see your point.

Do you think we could have still disposed of the 1943 artillery rounds without telling everyone we did?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It was done under treaty, OPCW is the organization tasked with inspection and verification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware.

Open Skies hasn't really worked in our favor.
Intermediate range treaties haven't really worked in our favor.
The Paris Agreement really didn't work in our favor.

I'm of the opinion chemical weapons are more of a danger for terrorists to get a hold of, than they are a useful tool. However, that being said, I'm not confident in the other signatories, nor do I think we should have agreed to the treaty in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you think we could have still disposed of the 1943 artillery rounds without telling everyone we did?
View Quote

Could have? Yes I think so. But I think there are good reasons for international inspections of weapons of mass destruction. I'm reminded of the scene in The Sum Of All Fears where they are inspecting a Russian nuclear facility and Morgan Freeman's character says something like.

"I sent four people to try to infiltrate this facility. None of them came back."

Clearly this is an imperfect system. But not every country on Earth is Russia or Iran.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Of course.  We've graduated to viral warfare now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm aware.

I'm of the opinion chemical weapons are more of a danger for terrorists to get a hold of, than they are a useful tool. However, that being said, I'm not confident in the other signatories, nor do I think we should have agreed to the treaty in the first place.
View Quote

Gotcha.  Your other post seemed to come from a different angle, sorry for the mis-interpretation.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you think nukes are for?

I’m fine with less chemical weapons in the world.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Your other post seemed to come from a different angle, sorry for the mis-interpretation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware.

We're golden brother
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Could have? Yes I think so. But I think there are good reasons for international inspections of weapons of mass destruction. I'm reminded of the scene in The Sum Of All Fears where they are inspecting a Russian nuclear facility and Morgan Freeman's character says something like.

"I sent four people to try to infiltrate this facility. None of them came back."

Clearly this is an imperfect system. But not every country on Earth is Russia or Iran.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put differently, holding elected leaders to a total war approach I feel ends in a much more peaceful world.

Especially if you mean it. Beats proxy wars and the intelligence community dictating policy behind closed doors. Sell your constituents total barbaric war, or don't go at all. And if you do go, then go hard.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#50]
The good old days.........

The Disposal of Sodium, 1947 Washington State
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top