Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have read, chemical weapons are not that useful.  They make good terror weapons but do not have much tactical use.  In WW1 they achieved nothing with them despite extensive use by both sides.

I am definitely glad the old stock was destroyed due to the significant risk of leaks and accidents.  The binary agents were much more stable but not without their own problems.
View Quote

Lingering area denial is what I have heard would be the modern use
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From what I have read, chemical weapons are not that useful.  
View Quote

Against experienced troops they're nothing but a pain in the ass for both sides.  The element of surprise can be exploited but historically it hasn't been.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That’s great. We are leading the way!  Rah Rah!  Is any other country complying?  Is there any verification?  If some one used their stockpile on us, we are phukt. We will have no retaliation in kind.  Thanks Joe for handing us over so easily. Don’t spend it all in one place.
View Quote

Really surprised we destroyed them instead of giving them to Zelenski.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Against experienced troops they're nothing but a pain in the ass for both sides.  The element of surprise can be exploited but historically it hasn't been.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I have read, chemical weapons are not that useful.  

Yep. Operating in a contaminated environment is a SOB.

If you get attacked with no warning it's ugly.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know where the last one was destroyed, but I think they finished incinerating the last one at Dugway many years ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The solution to pollution is dilution.
View Quote

That's the scary part. Mustard does not dissolve in water.  I'm pretty sure the others don't either. (or rain would render it worthless)

There are several munition dump areas off the Gulf coast. Some in water as shallow as 100 feet.   You can find them on old (1960) charts but they are not shown on modern day ones.  No one has a clue what is in them and the position is approximate in any case.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's the scary part. Mustard does not dissolve in water.  I'm pretty sure the others don't either. (or rain would render it worthless)

There are several munition dump areas off the Gulf coast. Some in water as shallow as 100 feet.   You can find them on old (1960) charts but they are not shown on modern day ones.  No one has a clue what is in them and the position is approximate in any case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Yeah but bacteria will eat it just like it eats the oil seeps in the gulf. You really can't pollute the ocean or the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#8]
According to Wikipedia fishermen have been fucked up by mustard gas rounds dropped in the area of Dogger Bank. The shells crack open and the contents spill out turning into an amber like substance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

These shells were old….and getting older. Many had began to leak.

I lived and played just outside the incinerator in Tooele, Utah. Tooele had the largest stockpile of these weapons in the country. Sirens installed for miles around…you know-just in case. Good riddance to those nasty pos weapons.
View Quote

The shells/rockets have been leaking for 25 years plus at BGAD.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm working at the plant right now. The biotreatment process is insane. It's a long ass process.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm working at the plant right now. The biotreatment process is insane. It's a long ass process.
View Quote

I just want to say thank you.

Why did they go with biotreatment over incineration for these?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, then let me ask you just one question.

Would you be okay sleeping in a room with a pallet of mustard gas artillery rounds that were manufactured in 1943?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd even be okay demilling them and keeping a Glowmar response.

Announcing we're getting rid of them seems foolish.

Ok, then let me ask you just one question.

Would you be okay sleeping in a room with a pallet of mustard gas artillery rounds that were manufactured in 1943?

Probably safer than a night sleeping in Detroit or New Orleans.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Went to school at  EKU, 98-02, Bluegrass was and still is interesting.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True, but their contents are still quite dangerous.

The US builds far flung factories full of battle robots to dispose of a few hundred thousand shells.  The French just stack their chemical UXO between antitank mines for a good burn when they detonate them on the beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These shells were really old, probably not all that viable in combat. Just for the record.

True, but their contents are still quite dangerous.

The US builds far flung factories full of battle robots to dispose of a few hundred thousand shells.  The French just stack their chemical UXO between antitank mines for a good burn when they detonate them on the beach.

Automotive exhaust is nothing more than H2O and CO2.  But, it isn't really, now is it?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lingering area denial is what I have heard would be the modern use
View Quote
Primarily based on vapor pressure of the chosen agent.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just want to say... ask him to go by the gift shop. I want a few... things

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Primarily based on vapor pressure of the chosen agent.
View Quote
You would think so.

A group had gallons of some of the most persistent agent they could whip up, deployed in a confined space, and still didn't really kill anyone....

I really, really want to go to the live agent training at Anniston. OTOH... chlorine, chlorine makes my butt pucker just a little.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just want to say... ask him to go by the gift shop. I want a few... things

View Quote

I must admit I kinda want some small part off one of those aforementioned 1943 vintage shells. Provided it was completely decontaminated and inert, naturally.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
VX nerve gas testing on a goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3M4oR_4UNs
View Quote

Filmed at Ft. McClellan AL.

Nothing like popping live VX and letting float over post.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I must admit I kinda want some small part off one of those aforementioned 1943 vintage shells. Provided it was completely decontaminated and inert, naturally.
View Quote
meh

leave it in the sun, or in the beach water. Make mine ert as fuck, please

I want the elegant string of pearls
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh you mean the string of funky Loc-Nars!

The Loc-Nar Discovery - Heavy Metal (1981) HD

I have no doubt that whoever came up with that idea saw this and was like. "You know what would be really cool? Load 50 of those in a missile and launch it right at San Francisco."
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
SARIN GAS effects on fortified bunkers

Chemical Warfare - Penetration of Fortified Targets by Sarin (GB),US Army Video
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
meh

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

meh

We bake the munition bodies at 1500 degrees. Then they go get cut up and recycled.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We bake the munition bodies at 1500 degrees. Then they go get cut up and recycled.
View Quote

It may suck in real life, but that's an AWESOME job! Good on you.

Tell us about what you can, I'd love to hear about it. You ever get comfortable working in that environment? I know from handling explosives, it can start to become... routine, then that's when people get bit. I was never scared, but I also never poked the elephant, ever.

How often did you see leakers in the bunkers? You ever have to use the injectors? Do you have dumb co-workers?

Thanks for posting in here!

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Just send them to Ukraine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh you mean the string of funky Loc-Nars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbzZcQNWv3Y

I have no doubt that whoever came up with that idea saw this and was like. "You know what would be really cool? Load 50 of those in a missile and launch it right at San Francisco."
View Quote
right on
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
After WWII, my dad worked almost exclusively at NBC facilities.

When he died at 53, he was eaten up on the inside with cancer and covered with rashes on the outside.

I will always believe that his service in the Army killed.

When he died four years after his medical discharge I was named as a War Orphan. The benefits helped get me through college.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It probably would have been cheaper to give them to Ukraine than to safely dismantle them.
View Quote

Cheaper perhaps, but very dumb.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Chemical and nuclear weapons should only be disposed of by using them on third world countries.

It's a shame to invest billions into that stuff and then let it go to waste.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Chemical weapons didn’t fit our way of fighting post 1919.  Tear gas was the exception.

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chemical weapons didn't fit our way of fighting post 1919.  Tear gas was the exception.

View Quote
There are rumors that the Soviet plan to invade western Europe involved massive use of chemical weapons in order to allow intact capture of Allied fuel and other supplies to minimize Soviet logistic requirements for the invasion to the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
remember Bowman flipping the M1025?

how about that SGT in CO HQ with orange skin and white hair...

or what happened to Scrappy?
View Quote
I remember Bowman flipping that hummer on Frog Road. I also remember the imprint it left in the pavement.
I can't remember that SGT's name but I can see his smile shining through that tan.
I heard Scrappy was killed in a car accident in '91, I think. He was my assistant squad leader. I still think about him now and again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]
It will be interesting to see who will be the next undeclared nation to use them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are rumors that the Soviet plan to invade western Europe involved massive use of chemical weapons in order to allow intact capture of Allied fuel and other supplies to minimize Soviet logistic requirements for the invasion to the Atlantic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chemical weapons didn't fit our way of fighting post 1919.  Tear gas was the exception.

Not rumors, those are factual plans along w limited low yield nukes and some biologicals in the extreme rear area.  The US response options varied, but nukes were always the end result.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Is VX still 'state of the art' for Chem or was it surpassed by other agents?

All my chem info here comes from The Rock.

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Nothing I know of that was mass produced exceeded VX in lethality.

And the stuff was kept in more secure containers than those pretty little glass balls.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nothing I know of that was mass produced exceeded VX in lethality.

And the stuff was kept in more secure containers than those pretty little glass balls.
View Quote

Novichok stuff might be nastier.

Russia probably fairly kicked our ass in chemical and biological warfare capabilities.

ETA- not giving a fuck how many you kill in the process and entire secret towns probably helped there.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#39]
US Destroys Last of Chemical Weapons Stockpile | VOA News
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Good
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just send them to Ukraine.
View Quote

Not at all.

They should be destroyed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 3:20:18 AM EDT
[#42]
If you want to be scared out of your mind, might I suggest this.

A HIGHER FORM OF KILLING

The US really didn't have anything surpassing VX as far as lethality, well at least unclassified. All the new work was going into binary systems.

And the WW1 guys. Unbelievable what they experienced. Amazing how the human race can be so savage.

"Chlorine Trains"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Johnson Island wasn’t the only stockpile.

I did a lot of work at the Pine Bluff Arsenal and they had plenty of their own.

View Quote

I think Anniston, Al had another demo sight.  Used to work with a man and woman that had worked at Johnston Atoll.  Not sure if they were typical of the people who worked there, but both were pretty squirrelly.  Sounded like a divorce breeding ground.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They call it the "Iron Harvest." Unexploded bombs, mortar and artillery shells, and occasionally mustard gas shells.
https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/65/2016/11/7aYRdhhh.jpe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The French still dig them up in their yards.
I didn't know the French farmed chemical weapons.
They call it the "Iron Harvest." Unexploded bombs, mortar and artillery shells, and occasionally mustard gas shells.
https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/65/2016/11/7aYRdhhh.jpe

I read an article in the late 90s in Smithsonian Magazine about the French team that does UXO disposals.  A number of them were getting killed on the job yearly according to the article.  At the time, around two dozen farmers were being killed plowing into them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Several years ago I was involved in the engineering design of the facility in Anniston, Al.
Back then people knew it would take a long time to dismantle all the chemical weapons.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not rumors, those are factual plans along w limited low yield nukes and some biologicals in the extreme rear area.  The US response options varied, but nukes were always the end result.  

View Quote
I called them rumors, because the person telling me that did so in the late 80's before the wall fell and said it was found out through a defector.  Gas everything was the plan as stated and the purpose was to capture stockpiles largely intact.  I considered the story believable and even logical at least in part, but I always wanted to see something more documented.  Have any interesting links?
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I called them rumors, because the person telling me that did so in the late 80's before the wall fell and said it was found out through a defector.  Gas everything was the plan as stated and the purpose was to capture stockpiles largely intact.  I considered the story believable and even logical at least in part, but I always wanted to see something more documented.  Have any interesting links?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd thought "Seven Days to The River Rhine," had numerous planned early use of chemicals, but most of what I'm seeing now of secondary sources discussing the Polish document releases, concentrates on the widescale early tactical nuclear weapon use.  7.6 megatons, supposedly, at 10-20 kt a time.  But start there.

Thing is, chemicals slow everything down.  Seems counterintuitive if you're looking for a blazingly fast blitz across Germany.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Of course it’s good we got rid of this. It’s wartime production mustard gas according to the article. It doesn’t have much use today and it’s dangerous to keep around. There’s much more capable chemical agents now. The 4th generation chemical agents are truly terrifying. Novichok is a thing of nightmares
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Cleans even the filthiest of trenches.

Peggy that's the recipe for mustard gas (original in pinned and desc.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope, I believe that we should avoid unjust wars, but when a war is truly just, we should fight it with every weapon and with as much violence and brutality that we can muster.

I'm pro-chemical weapons, pro-landmines, and pro-cluster bombs. Hell, I'd be pro-biological weapons if one could be designed to specifically only infect the enemy. I believe in firebombing their cities, raping their women, and torturing their POWs. I reject the entire concept of a "war crime" when fighting a just and defensive war. The goal should be to win the war by any means while minimizing our own casualties - I would have nuked Japan if the alternative had been the death of just a single American serviceman. The morality of collateral damage falls squarely on the shoulders of the son of a bitch who started the war.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top