Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2015 10:27:12 AM EDT
My wife saw this come across her Facebook feed. Normally I wouldn't post this type of thing, but it looks like a great idea for being prepared for an emergency. I'm going to buy a set or 2 to keep in the vehicles.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872387109/zipgripgo-alternative-traction-aid-for-snow-and-mu
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It may be good for the 1 day a year it snows here
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
i can see how much of a PITA it would be trying to fish it through steel wheels and past the brakes.

would work for open rims.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting, people with solid steel wheels are screwed though.

Still a neat idea.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Tire Chains My Ass!

She's taking you to see 50 Shades Of Gray later!

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they'd have to have some small metal teeth imbedded into the plastic to be useful on ice.  That's the only thing I would need them for.....4x4 with good treads are okay on snow.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tire Chains My Ass!

She's taking you to see 50 Shades Of Gray later!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Chinese knockoffs at Harbor Freight next week...
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing really new here. I used emergency chains almost like these back in the early 80's.
They were good for about one use if you did much spinning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The speed at which those bastards can tool up and move product is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't imagine those lasting very long.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If she uses one on each hand they hold him a long time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The speed at which those bastards can tool up and move product is pretty amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luckily we have the Longshoremen Union to slow them down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#13]

" />

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd guess average life: 400 yards
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Meh, I just get snow tires.  2 sets of wheels and tires for the Jeep.

Been getting good use out of them this winter.  Glad I went a size taller, and lifted the WJ a bit, too.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#16]

My coworker did that to his snow blower and ended up with a bunch of screws in his driveway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone needs to invent a version that self-rotates as it wears, automatically replenishing itself - sort of like trimmer line in a weedeater.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]
$20 for one time use vs $40 for reusable SCC tire cables which do not require threading through wheels?  I'll pass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I see packaging, a product, and evidence of testing and results. Why do these guys need $75k?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#20]
For the steel wheel folks!

" />

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
How are normal tire chains attached?

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Wrap around, not through.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting.  

But... I'll wait til I can get them at Northern Tool or Amazon.com.

Gives me ideas about using other materials though.  Maybe pre-cut and crimped steel cables of the right size and length...
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I would be willing to try them provided they are not priced too high. Don't expect them to last very long, just get me out of the suck quick.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
These would be nice to keep around for getting unstuck. I thought up something similar based off of the slip on cleats that the railroad gives us, but didn't have any money to make it happen.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FoxxConn supposedly allowed Apple to CHANGE the screen size of the iPhone6 TWO WEEKS before it was supposed to be released.

In other words, the Chinese are so nimble and adaptable, and can do things so damn quickly, they had enough time to spool up production of millions of units two weeks before it's release.

You think that ANY company working in North America, or Europe, or anywhere other than China could do that?  Not a fucking chance.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FoxxConn supposedly allowed Apple to CHANGE the screen size of the iPhone6 TWO WEEKS before it was supposed to be released.

In other words, the Chinese are so nimble and adaptable, and can do things so damn quickly, they had enough time to spool up production of millions of units two weeks before it's release.

You think that ANY company working in North America, or Europe, or anywhere other than China could do that?  Not a fucking chance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have like 20 million engineers working on it, brute force calculations
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I see packaging, a product, and evidence of testing and results. Why do these guys need $75k?
View Quote

Serious question.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question.

I've seen a few Kickstarters that are not "fund my idea from scratch" as much as a distribution channel for limited- or first-run products.  Probably the case here.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I cant imagine those would hold up long at all. I mean like a coupe hundreds yards long too. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, cause those are a neat idea. I think I'd carry a set more for trailers than for my actual car though.

Of course the better solution is to move some place where you dont need such things.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not have to tool up when they are making the damn things to begin with.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]

That's how I added all terrain tires to my sons power wheels jeep.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see them being DOT approved for "Snow Emergency: Chains Required" days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would be willing to try them provided they are not priced too high. Don't expect them to last very long, just get me out of the suck quick.
View Quote

Looks like they cost about $20 for a pack of 12. I think these are a good idea. Obviously for emergency and not everyday use.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've seen a few Kickstarters that are not "fund my idea from scratch" as much as a distribution channel for limited- or first-run products.  Probably the case here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question.

Thanks. They're not getting my money.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't see them being DOT approved for "Snow Emergency: Chains Required" days.
View Quote

Not every state has those.

You can use chains here, but there are no mandatory times when they are required.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt that. I personally seen the inner workings of FuShiKang. There is simply no way the supply chain of a cell phone can adapt to a full design overhaul and implement in mass production in a two week time span without that design already being fully tooled up and tested as a backup option.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm getting the impression from people here that they think these are for full-time chain use. These look like something to help you get out of a bind when your wheels are spinning and you need to get to a patch of ground with traction.

You can't put on regular chains if you can't move forward or backward. They're meant to get ripped up trying to get out of your slick patch and then clipped off. Not everybody carries sand and a shovel in the back of their passenger car.

At least that's my take on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question.

Because you don't like the product or you don't want to contribute to the first run cost?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably to get the inventory made
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm getting the impression from people here that they think these are for full-time chain use. These look like something to help you get out of a bind when your wheels are spinning and you need to get to a patch of ground with traction.

You can't put on regular chains if you can't move forward or backward. They're meant to get ripped up trying to get out of your slick patch and then clipped off. Not everybody carries sand and a shovel in the back of their passenger car.

At least that's my take on it.
View Quote

Yup, one-time use for "awwww shit i got stuck!"

For $20 I might get a set and toss em in my trunk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Too expensive for a single-use product.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure this man begs to differ. He is doing many things wrong (as discussed in another thread), but these things seem stupid-proof for idiots like this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm sure this man begs to differ. He is doing many things wrong (as discussed in another thread), but these things seem stupid-proof for idiots like this.

http://youtu.be/CuTXUcoGdhw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/CuTXUcoGdhw

That guy wouldn't have been able to open the package.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tube sand for $3.50 will get you out of a dozen bad situations per bag, adds weight for traction also.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Tube sand for $3.50 will get you out of a dozen bad situations per bag, adds weight for traction also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice, sure.  Mud?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no room for a sandbag in my engine compartment and I don't need weight in my trunk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top