Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2021 10:50:54 AM EDT
During the summer my house stays around 55-60% humidity because the AC runs 9-11 hours a day. I keep it about 70° and it’s usually 80 for a low and 98 for a high.

However this time of year is the worst. The house constantly feels damp. Temps drop to the mid 60s which is too cold to use/need the AC but the humidity is almost constantly 75%+ inside. Humidity is 100% from 9pm-6am which causes the issue.

I can’t be the only one with this problem so what am I doing wrong? I don’t open my windows. How do I remove the dampness from inside my house? A dehumidifier seems annoying at best - having to drain the water and probably needing multiples of them all over the place. I don’t want the humidity to get too high because it’s uncomfortable but also because it can cause mildew.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Turn the damn heat on you cheap ass
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The best option for this problem is probably a whole house dehumidifier,  a variable or multispeed hvac works  as well because it will run a lot longer on low and pull out humidity.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Dryer vents should be directed outdoors. Out doors.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no magic, either dehumidifier  or turn up the heater.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
During periods of higher humidity, I run a large dehumidifier in my basement. I attached a section of garden hose to it. This hose drains into a floor drain, not into a self-contained storage tank.

I am able to set the dehumidifier on whatever moisture level I desire and then never touch the thing again until the air filter needs cleaned.

It turns off and on on its own and never needs emptied.

Magic!

I've done this for 20 years.

Every dehumidifier that I have ever owned has had this capability.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Move to Arizona?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get what's so difficult about using a dehumidifer.  You either dump the water every few days or connect it to a floor drain in your basement or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
When we shower, I sqeegee it afterwards.

It doesn't prevent all humidity,  but it prevents  some.

It's amazing how much water can cling to tile  and glass.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
They make inexpensive portable dehumidifiers with built in pumps.
Place in hallway w/ fan on high for good circulation and run small hose to tub or sink.
I have one in basement that pumps water out a 3/8 hole I drilled in the window frame.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
During periods of higher humidity, I run a large dehumidifier in my basement. I attached a section of garden hose to it. This hose drains into a floor drain, not into a self-contained storage tank.

I am able to set the dehumidifier on whatever moisture level I desire and then never touch the thing again until the air filter needs cleaned.

Magic!

View Quote
Well there's good and bad.   In my basement mine runs constantly if I set to 50 or 55.  And it uses a TON of electricity.  Doesn't matter if it's energy star rated if it's running all the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI or buy a whole house dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]
We had the same problem keeping humidity below 60%, so we bought a 50 pint/hr dehumidifier which worked well to keep the 1900sqft house below 60%.  Even when it was too cool outside to kick the a.c. on.

The GE ADEL50WLW has a decent reservoir if you can't hook up a drain.

Earlier this summer, the air handler froze and the hvac tech replaced the ECM  = humidity hasn't been over 50% since and we haven't used the dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've just always had dehumidifiers located where they can drain directly.

I have one sitting on my washing machine that drains into the same drain, for example.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well there's good and bad.   In my basement mine runs constantly if I set to 50 or 55.  And it uses a TON of electricity.  Doesn't matter if it's energy star rated if it's running all the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magic!

I don't care how much electricity my dehumidifier uses. I care about the moisture levels in my house.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
100%? Humidity? Where are? On the coast?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently bought a 50pt Midea Cube.  It replaced two frigidaires and works great!.   It was a toss up between this an a commercial dehumidifier.  I could not bring myself to spend the extra $$ for one.  

Midea Cube

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
2 dehums in the basement with condensate pumps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Air seal your house, right size the AC and install a heat strip to provide reheat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I recently bought a 50pt Midea Cube.  It replaced two frigidaires and works great!.   It was a toss up between this an a commercial dehumidifier.  I could not bring myself to spend the extra $$ for one.  

Midea Cube

https://www.midea.com/.imaging/mte/midea-theme/image-1920w/dam/us/product/AC_Product-Pages/Dehumidifiers/MAD50PS1QGR-50pt_Cube_Grey_Dehumidifier/MAD50PS1QGR/Product-Photos-50pt_Cube_Gray_Detach_Handle_Up.png/jcr:content/50pt_Cube_Gray_Detach_Handle_Up.png
View Quote
Damn, that unit looks solid. Checked it out on Amazon and it has good reviews, so I just ordered one. My basement humidifier went tits up this morning, so this was good timing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Run the AC. That will pull it out quick.  My system is fancy 2 stage and will run low compressor, low fan to pull moisture out.   Trane comfort control. It’s awesome.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Easy, turn on the heat and the AC at the same time

Seriously though, that is the fastest way to bring it in check before you get mold, which can be MUCH more costly. I have done it for short periods.

Ultimately you need a dehumidifier. Not all of them work in cold temperatures due to the coils freezing up. Our basement is unheated, so we got this with that in mind, and it has been great:

https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Dehumidifiers/FFAD5033W1/
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
During the summer my house stays around 55-60% humidity because the AC runs 9-11 hours a day. I keep it about 70° and it’s usually 80 for a low and 98 for a high.
View Quote

55-60% while the A/C runs 10 hours a day?

You live in the Ofenokee, or what?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When we shower, I sqeegee it afterwards.

It doesn't prevent all humidity,  but it prevents  some.

It's amazing how much water can cling to tile  and glass.
View Quote

Weird, I just use the exhaust fan.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Air seal your house, right size the AC and install a heat strip to provide reheat.
View Quote

This.

I have spent the last 1.5 years air sealing, insulating and upgrading and updating the mechanical systems in my house.

Here are my results:

ENERGY USE/electric/natural gas
(mo/yr)          (kWh)      (Ccf)

09/20            1685          31  

09/21            879            8

10/20            861            26.4

10/21            625            9.4
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I have a unit in the basement set up so it drains into a sink negating the need to empty it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
I have high humdity , and a high hest bill.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

I don’t get why @_Matt_ thinks I want to turn the heat on. I don’t want it any warmer in my house it has nothing to do with cost.

I live on the coast so it’s humid and I have no basement. Don’t really want to set up a dehumidifier in a hallway but as someone mentioned it beats having mold grow. I’ll do that for now until I can work out a whole house solution. Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don’t get why @_Matt_ thinks I want to turn the heat on. I don’t want it any warmer in my house it has nothing to do with cost.

I live on the coast so it’s humid and I have no basement. Don’t really want to set up a dehumidifier in a hallway but as someone mentioned it beats having mold grow. I’ll do that for now until I can work out a whole house solution. Thanks for the suggestions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Because if the house is warmer than outside it won’t be humid inside

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Call up your Hvac company. They can install one on your unit.

But seriously. If you want to pull moisture out use your AC, it’s very very good at it.  The 60 degree weather with dew points in high 50s do exactly what you’re experiencing. Run the AC, it will pull that moisture out amazingly fast.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Easy, turn on the heat and the AC at the same time

Seriously though, that is the fastest way to bring it in check before you get mold, which can be MUCH more costly. I have done it for short periods.

Ultimately you need a dehumidifier. Not all of them work in cold temperatures due to the coils freezing up. Our basement is unheated, so we got this with that in mind, and it has been great:

https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Dehumidifiers/FFAD5033W1/
View Quote

I have a Frigidaire 70pint, I actually ran it last night. Works well.
When my neighbors saw it, they all bought one too.
But of course I don't sit right in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

I have spent the last 1.5 years air sealing, insulating and upgrading and updating the mechanical systems in my house.

Here are my results:

View Quote

Those are awesome numbers, but why are you using gas at all?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Here are my results:

he might not have a heat pump.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'm getting at. If your heat load is so small that you are using 30,000 BTUs a day... you don't need a furnace that starts at 36,000 BTUs an hour.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I'm getting at. If your heat load is so small that you are using 30,000 BTUs a day... you don't need a furnace that starts at 36,000 BTUs an hour.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
You have tightened your house up so much the old heat load calc is no longer good, have a new manual J done by a responsible contractor and resize your hvac equipment accordingly.  The new V/S systems are great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't get why @_Matt_ thinks I want to turn the heat on. I don't want it any warmer in my house it has nothing to do with cost.

I live on the coast so it's humid and I have no basement. Don't really want to set up a dehumidifier in a hallway but as someone mentioned it beats having mold grow. I'll do that for now until I can work out a whole house solution. Thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote
I don't get why you don't "want" to have a dehumidifier. I don't want to have to pay for my furnace to heat my house but....it beats the shit out of freezing.  We don't live in magic land where everything is how we want it, so we invented solutions to deal with those imperfections...

It's not about what you "want", it's about not having mold grow inside your walls.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't get why you don't "want" to have a dehumidifier. I don't want to have to pay for my furnace to heat my house but....it beats the shit out of freezing.  We don't live in magic land where everything is how we want it, so we invented solutions to deal with those imperfections...

It's not about what you "want", it's about not having mold grow inside your walls.
View Quote

We need a like button.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We need a like button.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need a like button.

We sure do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
My house was at 70% humidity.  I had an whole house dehumidifier installed in my basement a couple weeks ago.  It ran for a week straight.  It pulled the humidity in my lower level to below 50%. The upper level stays between 50-55%.  It empties into the water heater overflow drain.  It has made a big difference in how comfortable my house is now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My house was at 70% humidity.  I had an whole house dehumidifier installed in my basement a couple weeks ago.  It ran for a week straight.  It pulled the humidity in my lower level to below 50%. The upper level stays between 50-55%.  It empties into the water heater overflow drain.  It has made a big difference in how comfortable my house is now.
View Quote

Your AC would have done that in 2-3 hours.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's currently 49F outside but it's humid as fuck because it's been pouring rain for nearly a week.  The furnace running helps some, but it's not cold enough for it to run enough, to burn it out.

Running your A/C when it's 50F outside and you are also heating your house, would be dumb. Stand alone dehumidifiers exist for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's currently 49F outside but it's humid as fuck because it's been pouring rain for nearly a week.  The furnace running helps some, but it's not cold enough for it to run enough, to burn it out.

Running your A/C when it's 50F outside and you are also heating your house, would be dumb. Stand alone dehumidifiers exist for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. That’s what my system does to manage humidity. It’s called an air conditioner. It conditions the air.

My thermostat controls temp set point AND humidity set point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Meh. That's what my system does to manage humidity. It's called an air conditioner. It conditions the air.

View Quote
Not everyone has a super modern feature filled HVAC system.  My shit is 18 years old and the options are "make hot air" and "make cold air".  This is a pretty common set of limited functionality in most people's homes.

That's ok, because we can throw a dehumidifer in the basement and it will take care of the problem, without running A/C in friggin November.  In fact doing so in these temps, is ill advised and can damage a central A/C system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't get why @_Matt_ thinks I want to turn the heat on. I don't want it any warmer in my house it has nothing to do with cost.

I live on the coast so it's humid and I have no basement. Don't really want to set up a dehumidifier in a hallway but as someone mentioned it beats having mold grow. I'll do that for now until I can work out a whole house solution. Thanks for the suggestions.
View Quote
Look at Sante Fe Dehumidifiers for whole home use. It's what we install in most whole home applications. Size it to the home and find an hvac buddy to help install it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not everyone has a super modern feature filled HVAC system.  My shit is 18 years old and the options are "make hot air" and "make cold air".  This is a pretty common set of limited functionality in most people's homes.

That's ok, because we can throw a dehumidifer in the basement and it will take care of the problem, without running A/C in friggin November.  In fact doing so in these temps, is ill advised and can damage a central A/C system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. That's what my system does to manage humidity. It's called an air conditioner. It conditions the air.

Oh I get that. But he was talking outdoor temps in the 60s with dewpoints close to outside air temp. That’s what causes the high humidity indoors as the air is warm enough to hold a lot of water, but not cold enough to squeeze it out.

If he wanted to lower his humidity fast, run the AC for an hour or two. It may not lower the inside air temp but a degree or two but it will remove that moisture real damn fast.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh I get that. But he was talking outdoor temps in the 60s with dewpoints close to outside air temp. That's what causes the high humidity indoors as the air is warm enough to hold a lot of water, but not cold enough to squeeze it out.

If he wanted to lower his humidity fast, run the AC for an hour or two. It may not lower the inside air temp but a degree or two but it will remove that moisture real damn fast.
View Quote
No-one that I know runs their central A/C, when it's 60F outside.  That's fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No-one that I know runs their central A/C, when it's 60F.  That's fucking crazy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I get that. But he was talking outdoor temps in the 60s with dewpoints close to outside air temp. That's what causes the high humidity indoors as the air is warm enough to hold a lot of water, but not cold enough to squeeze it out.

No-one that I know runs their central A/C, when it's 60F.  That's fucking crazy.

Then let them complain about high humidity when there is a very very simple way to take care of it.

Run the AC for a few hours. Humidity gone.  You’re not running it to cool the air, you’re running it to pull moisture out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Then let them complain about high humidity when there is a very very simple way to take care of it.

Run the AC for a few hours. Humidity gone.
View Quote

Now the house is dry and cold at 60°.

If only there was a way to heat that air back up...
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Run the AC for a few hours. Humidity gone.
View Quote
They don't complain.  They simply turn on a dehumidifier in their basement.  Like a sane person.

Most everyone's shit up here is either winterized by now, or they have at least cut the breaker to it for the winter, so it doesn't accidentally get turned on.

Some choose to tarp them for the winter and some go with the "let it breath" method but....A/C is hibernating until next summer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top