BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, what you really would have liked to have seen was the whole orgy debacle.  

I mentioned above that I was raised a Jehovah's Witness.....well, so was my mom.  Add in that she was born in 1948, married my father right out of high school, has actively avoided nearly all things *worldly* (she has seen one rated R movie in her life---Rain Man), and you wind up with an old woman with off-the-charts naivete and pretty much no clue about what all is out there.  

About 20 years ago my husband asked me why pretty much every Kingdom Hall he saw had no windows.  I'd never made that observation before but started to notice and, sure enough, it was very rare to see one with windows.  I tossed out possibilities such as the fact that they were renowned for putting up the entire structure in 2 days so maybe it was more time/effort efficient, maybe something to do with meeting some code in order to be considered a shelter during a weather event, attempt to remove the whole *staring out the window daydreaming* temptation to keep focus on teaching, etc.  

So we asked my mom.  She deadpanned, "Oh, that's so people can't look in and see the orgies."  

Now, this is the same woman who wouldn't let my husband (then boyfriend) go in my room until I made sure my pantyhose (clutches pearls) were out of sight.  The same woman who fretted if she (or we) couldn't find one of our slips to go under our dresses because *the outline of our legs showing when the sun hits it just right is inappropriate*.  The SAME woman who (timeline jump) had never even heard the word *cooter* in her 75 years on earth.  

Obviously, we sat there frozen in shock, trying to figure out what was happening.  

"Mother!"

"What?  Oh, come on, it's just a joke."

"Yeah, but......dang."  

"Seriously, I'm not really sure why.  I'll see if I can find out."

Fast forward several months to Memorial (of Jesus' death) which, for JWs, is the holiest days.  Its observance is non-negotiable.  JWs who hadn't managed to make a meeting all year WILL be there on Memorial.  It is sacrosanct.  

I stopped practicing when I was 14 but for many years I would still attend Memorial because I knew how important it was to her.  

They had built the *new* (windowless) Kingdom Hall when I was a kid, probably around 7, but the congregations had grown so large that they split Memorial between there and the old Kingdom Hall (windows) and this year her congregation was assigned to the old one.  

So there we were, standing around chatting with everyone before it started when my husband whispered something about there being windows in this one and my mom turned to the lady she was talking to and said, "Oh yeah!  A while back my son-in-law asked why Kingdom Halls usually don't have windows and I told him it's so people couldn't look inside and see the orgies."  

Mom is cracking up while the lady makes a face and excuses herself.  At this point the service is just about to start so as everyone starts settling in I elbow her and say, "I cannot believe you just said that!  At MEMORIAL!"  

She looks thoroughly confused that I have an issue with it and it starts to dawn on me......

"Mom, do you even know what an orgy is?"

"Uh, I'm not stupid, Tiffany.  An orgy.  A big feast.  Gluttony.  Huge table, turkey legs, wine, Henry VIII."

"Mom.  TODAY an orgy means group sex."  

I thought WE had been frozen in shock when she said it to us but that was nothing compared to what was going on with her face and body language.  

"Mom, just how many people have you told that to?"

I swear I watched her soul leave her body (even though JWs don't believe in a spiritual soul).  

She eventually got defensive about it and said it wasn't her fault people had to turn everything into something dirty and SURELY they all KNOW she meant it in the historical sense.     Which may actually be true considering nobody else confronted her about it.  Other possibilities are unfailing politeness on their parts or them ALSO being unaware about the change in nomenclature.  But that last lady for sure knew.  

I love her.  She's so pure.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I mentioned above that I was raised a Jehovah's Witness.....well, so was my mom.  Add in that she was born in 1948, married my father right out of high school, has actively avoided nearly all things *worldly* (she has seen one rated R movie in her life---Rain Man), and you wind up with an old woman with off-the-charts naivete and pretty much no clue about what all is out there.  

About 20 years ago my husband asked me why pretty much every Kingdom Hall he saw had no windows.  I'd never made that observation before but started to notice and, sure enough, it was very rare to see one with windows.  I tossed out possibilities such as the fact that they were renowned for putting up the entire structure in 2 days so maybe it was more time/effort efficient, maybe something to do with meeting some code in order to be considered a shelter during a weather event, attempt to remove the whole *staring out the window daydreaming* temptation to keep focus on teaching, etc.  

So we asked my mom.  She deadpanned, "Oh, that's so people can't look in and see the orgies."  

Now, this is the same woman who wouldn't let my husband (then boyfriend) go in my room until I made sure my pantyhose (clutches pearls) were out of sight.  The same woman who fretted if she (or we) couldn't find one of our slips to go under our dresses because *the outline of our legs showing when the sun hits it just right is inappropriate*.  The SAME woman who (timeline jump) had never even heard the word *cooter* in her 75 years on earth.  

Obviously, we sat there frozen in shock, trying to figure out what was happening.  

"Mother!"

"Yeah, but......dang."  

Fast forward several months to Memorial (of Jesus' death) which, for JWs, is the holiest days.  Its observance is non-negotiable.  JWs who hadn't managed to make a meeting all year WILL be there on Memorial.  It is sacrosanct.  

I stopped practicing when I was 14 but for many years I would still attend Memorial because I knew how important it was to her.  

They had built the *new* (windowless) Kingdom Hall when I was a kid, probably around 7, but the congregations had grown so large that they split Memorial between there and the old Kingdom Hall (windows) and this year her congregation was assigned to the old one.  

So there we were, standing around chatting with everyone before it started when my husband whispered something about there being windows in this one and my mom turned to the lady she was talking to and said, "Oh yeah!  A while back my son-in-law asked why Kingdom Halls usually don't have windows and I told him it's so people couldn't look inside and see the orgies."  

Mom is cracking up while the lady makes a face and excuses herself.  At this point the service is just about to start so as everyone starts settling in I elbow her and say, "I cannot believe you just said that!  At MEMORIAL!"  

She looks thoroughly confused that I have an issue with it and it starts to dawn on me......

"Uh, I'm not stupid, Tiffany.  An orgy.  A big feast.  Gluttony.  Huge table, turkey legs, wine, Henry VIII."

I thought WE had been frozen in shock when she said it to us but that was nothing compared to what was going on with her face and body language.  

I swear I watched her soul leave her body (even though JWs don't believe in a spiritual soul).  

She eventually got defensive about it and said it wasn't her fault people had to turn everything into something dirty and SURELY they all KNOW she meant it in the historical sense.     Which may actually be true considering nobody else confronted her about it.  Other possibilities are unfailing politeness on their parts or them ALSO being unaware about the change in nomenclature.  But that last lady for sure knew.  

View Quote

When, and in what society has orgy NOT meant group sex?

I mean they’ve been fucking en masse since the time of Tutankhamen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
These days I think we are at a real good space in that area.

Not the full bush of yesteryear but also not bald (which is fucking weird) a number 2 guard is ideal tbh
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your mom sounds like fun.

As for buzzards, my town actually has a problem with them. Every year a flock of maybe 50-75 descends on the town (literally) and make a mess. My (then) 12 year old daughter termed them "Black Chickens of Death."

One day someone hit a squirrel in the street in front of my house and about a half dozen dragged it up into my yard. One of the haughty bastards was sitting on my porch railing, staring right at me through the window, saying "I'm a federally protected raptor - come at me!"
View Quote

She certainly can be even though *fun* would have been the LAST descriptive I'd have chosen while growing up.  

I admit, it has been only pretty recently that it's more common to see the black chickens of death in the residential areas so I get why it surprised her.  Usually only see them on long drives through the more rural areas, not 2 blocks from your house.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"Mother!"

"Yeah, but......dang."  

View Quote

LMAO. Geez, you guys have an eventful life. Mom sounds like a lot of fun, and that's what it takes to break up the frustrating parts of dealing with dementia in our elders. Hope you keep on finding stuff to laugh about, because it can sure get you down without it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In her defense, they were probably turkey vultures.
View Quote

You are correct.  We rarely hear them called turkey vultures around here.  Only by the oldest of the old-timers.  And my husband who has been 80 his entire life.  

I can also guarantee you that had I said, "Those are turkey vultures" she'd have spent the next 3 weeks telling everyone about the "big flock of turkeys just hanging out near her house."  

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not saying it isn't common knowledge to most.  I'm saying it was in no way *common* in her library of knowledge.  

This is closer to what she thought:

orgy
in American English
('?rd?i)
NOUN
Word forms: plural -gies
1. wild, drunken or licentious festivity or revelry
2. any actions or proceedings marked by unbridled indulgence of passions
an orgy of killing
3.  See orgies
4. informal
a boisterous, rowdy party
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Mother!"

"Yeah, but......dang."  

In her mom’s defense, “orgy” simply used to refer to overindulgence, so yes, an elaborate feast was called an orgy in older texts, even if group sex wasn’t involved. Imelda Marcos’s collection of thousands of pairs of shoes, was described as “an orgy of excess”.

The sexual reference only started becoming common in the 60s and 70s, so her age checks out, especially if she refrained from reading/watching/engaging in the types of stuff that used that definition.

A lot of words have had changes in common definitions over the decades. No one thinks of the word “faggot” as referring to a bundle of sticks, nowadays.

I recently learned that the word “gourmand” has been coming into vogue in some circles, to mean “rich/sweet”, for scents and flavors.

I grew up with the word “gourmand” being a synonym for “glutton”. No idea where/when the other usage of the word began. The old definition “glutton” is still the most common, when you websearch “gourmand definition/meaning”.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LMAO. Geez, you guys have an eventful life. Mom sounds like a lot of fun, and that's what it takes to break up the frustrating parts of dealing with dementia in our elders. Hope you keep on finding stuff to laugh about, because it can sure get you down without it.
View Quote

Thank you, I am trying to focus on and appreciate all the parts of her still with us instead of mourning the ones we've lost.  We're still not sure how much of her cognition issues are from the stroke itself or something more insidious and progressive.  We actually have an appointment this coming week for a pretty intensive neuro-psych evaluation that we hope will give us some kind of diagnosis as to what we're likely dealing with and expectations for the future.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In her mom’s defense, “orgy” simply used to refer to overindulgence, so yes, an elaborate feast was called an orgy in older texts, even if group sex wasn’t involved. Imelda Marcos’s collection of thousands of pairs of shoes, was described as “an orgy of excess”.

The sexual reference only started becoming common in the 60s and 70s, so her age checks out, especially if she refrained from reading/watching/engaging in the types of stuff that used that definition.

A lot of words have had changes in common definitions over the decades. No one thinks of the word “faggot” as referring to a bundle of sticks, nowadays.

I recently learned that the word “gourmand” has been coming into vogue in some circles, to mean “rich/sweet”, for scents and flavors.

I grew up with the word “gourmand” being a synonym for “glutton”. No idea where/when the other usage of the word began. The old definition “glutton” is still the most common, when you websearch “gourmand definition/meaning”.
View Quote

Huh.  I always read *gourmand* as being like a foodie.  Someone with an appreciation of fine dining.  

Just looked it up and we are both correct.  I reject the rich/sweet usage trend.  This is why people bitch about the English language being confusing.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Huh.  I always read *gourmand* as being like a foodie.  Someone with an appreciation of fine dining.  

Just looked it up and we are both correct.  I reject the rich/sweet usage trend.  This is why people bitch about the English language being confusing.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gourmet = foodie, or someone with refined tastes.
Gourmand = someone who eats to excess, and usually doesn’t refer to someone with refined tastes.

I think folks tended to conflate gourmand = gourmet+grand?

Back in HS, I used to have a wannabeme, who’d hang around and steal my stories and pass them off as his own, so one day, knowing that he was eavesdropping, a bunch of us were talking about food, so I said, “Some folks think of themselves as a gourmet, but I prefer to think of myself as a step above; a gourmand, so to speak”.

Not long after, I heard this guy going around proudly proclaiming himself a gourmand. I knew several of the gals in the group knew the common definition of gourmand, and they had pretty amusing expressions, “Why’s this guy proudly proclaiming that he eats like a pig?”

Etymology/origin of “gourmand”
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every time I see a different/new use of an existing word, I turn into and old man yelling at clouds (in my head), “That word ALREADY has a definition and accepted meaning, you know?!!!”

Definitely means I’m old.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gourmet = foodie, or someone with refined tastes.
Gourmand = someone who eats to excess, and usually doesn’t refer to someone with refined tastes.

I think folks tended to conflate gourmand = gourmet+grand?

Back in HS, I used to have a wannabeme, who’d hang around and steal my stories and pass them off as his own, so one day, knowing that he was eavesdropping, a bunch of us were talking about food, so I said, “Some folks think of themselves as a gourmet, but I prefer to think of myself as a step above; a gourmand, so to speak”.

Not long after, I heard this guy going around proudly proclaiming himself a gourmand. I knew several of the gals in the group knew the common definition of gourmand, and they had pretty amusing expressions, “Why’s this guy proudly proclaiming that he eats like a pig?”

Etymology/origin of “gourmand”
View Quote

It does make more sense to keep the 2 separately designated like you have above but it's easy to see why they got conflated in the first place based on how it's defined in some places.  A bit of nuance with the quantity vs quality aspect.  

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gourmand

: one who is excessively fond of eating and drinking
: one who is heartily interested in good food and drink

Synonyms & Similar Words

gourmet
epicure
epicurean
gastronome

epicure
noun

: one with sensitive and discriminating tastes especially in food or wine

gastronome
noun

: a lover of good food

Antonyms & Near Antonyms

glutton
hog
trencherman
guzzler

Then you have, as examples of usage, these 2 sentence fragments back-to-back which really helps clear things up.  

a finicky gourmand who vacationed in Europe every year simply for the wine
the kind of gourmand who swallows food without even pausing to taste it

Thank you for the correction but it's going to take some work to try and rewire my brain now because every time I see *gourmet* used as a noun instead of an adjective it looks as stupid as when I see, "I'm a devote Christian." or "I admit I'm bias, but I think......"  

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]

One of my favorite Playboy spreads of all time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh, she shows that in other ways.  The other day she said, "Look at that!  There are turkeys all over the road!"

(laughing) "Those are buzzards."

"Are you sure?  Why would there be a bunch of buzzards in the middle of a neighborhood?"

".......as opposed to.......turkeys?"

Can't blame it all on the stroke/dementia----she's always been known to make the most bizarre connections.  She still has her sense of humor though and is a good sport about it all.  
View Quote

A few years ago I was kayaking down a local river with the fiancé and while in slow section we ended up next to another group of ladies were looking up in the sky and commented on the pretty "eagles". I looked and it was fucking turkey vultures lol, I couldn't help myself but to tell them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A few years ago I was kayaking down a local river with the fiancé and while in slow section we ended up next to another group of ladies were looking up in the sky and commented on the pretty "eagles". I looked and it was fucking turkey vultures lol, I couldn't help myself but to tell them.
View Quote

Ruined their patriotic moment.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Thang so hairy you can wash your face in it with her love nectar !
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thang so hairy you can wash your face in it with her love nectar !
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top