Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree. they could have surrounded the house till the owner arrived.  Got the dog out and then searched. hell yeah my dog is going to growl at you in my house!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Round Rock Police commander Jim Stuart said the dog was barking and growling before lunging at an officer.

One of the officers fired a single shot; the second officer fired six rounds. Stuart said the dog kept coming at them after being shot the first time.

Sorry...I don't believe a word they say anymore...

I agree. they could have surrounded the house till the owner arrived.  Got the dog out and then searched. hell yeah my dog is going to growl at you in my house!

Not exactly how that works, sport.

What happens when there is an actual intruder and you now let the owner go inside an unsecured house.  What happens when the homeowner is shot and killed?

Oh yeah, that's right.  Everybody cries out that the police didn't do their jobs and the agency gets sued.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Or they gave no thought at all to getting away from the dog, because they were shooting first and thinking later.

Their version of events is that the dog was growling and barking at them from across the room before he lunged. That would have given them time to simply close the door so the dog couldn't get to them in the first place.

The homeowner's version of events is that the cops shot the dog while he was laying on the futon, and no lunging ever occurred.

So whether the dog was growling/barking/lunging or simply laying there, it appears that they could have gotten away from the dog just by closing the door. And if that's true, they either (1) shot the dog without even considering how they could avoid it; or (2) consciously decided to kill the dog even though they knew it was unnecessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They responded to a burglar alarm and found an open door.
They investigated and surprised/were surprised by the dog.
Obviously they felt the dog was a threat they could not get away from the dog fast enough.

Or they gave no thought at all to getting away from the dog, because they were shooting first and thinking later.

Their version of events is that the dog was growling and barking at them from across the room before he lunged. That would have given them time to simply close the door so the dog couldn't get to them in the first place.

The homeowner's version of events is that the cops shot the dog while he was laying on the futon, and no lunging ever occurred.

So whether the dog was growling/barking/lunging or simply laying there, it appears that they could have gotten away from the dog just by closing the door. And if that's true, they either (1) shot the dog without even considering how they could avoid it; or (2) consciously decided to kill the dog even though they knew it was unnecessary.

And how far had they advanced into the room before they realized there was a dog that was now showing signs of aggression?  How the fuck does the homeowner know, he wasn't there was he?

LEO's as well as regular civilians are judged on their actions that occur in a shooting without the benefit of hindsight.  You are now making all of your conclusions with the benefit of hindsight.

Did the first officer attempt to back up but run into the second officer, making shooting of the dog more necessary?  Did any number of other things happen that made the shooting necessary?

Is there a possibility other options were available?  Sure.  Do we know if there were?  Nope.  To claim anything otherwise just further reaffirms your stereotype as a 13er.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My guess is it took slightly longer to acknowledge the situation, raise his weapon, acquire a sight picture and fire than it would have to just shut the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously they felt the dog was a threat they could not get away from the dog fast enough.

Was the home owner present, or is it all speculation on his part? Reads like he wasnt present and is speculating.
If the cops had the ability,(space & time etc), to simply leave the room and shut the door behind them, safely trapping the dog in the room, I'm pretty sure they would have. Despite halfwits on this site posting otherwise, cops really dont lie awake at night masturbating furiously at the thought of shooting a dog.

Think this through logically:

Cops respond to burglar alarm call and discover an open door.
They go in to invesigate.
Because there is a real chance this is a legitimate burglary ,(as opposed to a false alarm), they drew their weapons.
They come across the dog.
The dog stands up and begins growling like a protective territorial dog will/should.

How fast can a dog move across a room?
Is it feasible that a healthy rottweiler could cover a normal sized room in a hurry?

If the cops are concerned that they are dealing with a legitimate burglary, why would they shoot a dog just for the thrill of it and risk alerting a burglar?

My guess is it took slightly longer to acknowledge the situation, raise his weapon, acquire a sight picture and fire than it would have to just shut the door.

For some reason you seem to think LEO's clear a room by standing in the doorway and peering in.  Oops, there's a dog in that room Bob, shut the door!  

They don't.  You get out of the fatal funnel as quick as possible.  Do you even know how far away they were from the door?  If not, how can you even make the statement you just made with a straight face?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So now the family dog is an armed combatant?

View Quote

You're being intentionally obtuse.  They don't know there is a dog or intruder in the room until they already enter.

Since they didn't know if the room contained an intruder or not, they "cleared" the fatal funnel into the room.  That is what you're always going to do while searching/clearing a structure you reasonably believe contains a criminal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was called a monkey on the last page by one of your fellow LEOs.

I'm not even mad.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps, if you don't like reading posts from people who disagree with you, you might enjoy the BOTS forum better.

I don't appreciate being called a liar
Do you?

I'm not even mad.  

Once again, you misrepresent the situation to suit your needs.

Look carefully above my avatar and tell what it says...Then go back to page 4 and see what it says there....(Same thing it says on this page)

I seriously think you have a problem with attention to detail and reading comprehension.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, a dog is exactly the same as an attacker with a knife.

You guys are something else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the closing the door crowd, ever hear of the 21 foot rule?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

How long does it take to close a door? 1 second?  How fast for a 120 pound jumping rot to bite you?  if 1 second or less you're a chew toy

Wow...just...wow...
Do you even have a dog?
I mean a real dog, not a Chihuahua or a Pekinese, or Pomeranian....
I'm talking about a dog that weighs in excess of 50lbs and chews on pig femurs for fun.

What are those long teeth in the corners of the dog's mouth called....the ones for ripping flesh and piercing into meat.....the ones that resemble knives without the serrations....

Arent they called.....CANINES?????

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Average height of a man shooting downwards at an animal 1/2 to 1/4 his height?

Terminal ballistics ending in descending angle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
guys, I generally hate cops as much as the next guy, but we are talkign abotu a rottie here.  This isnt like that 15 lb dog that was tied up in a garage in colorado that got shot by some asshole cop b/c he didn't like being yapped at.  A rottie is a real danger.

I am pretty sure that if the cop though he could have certainly got back out the door before the dog got to him, he would have done that as everyone knows it is hard to hit moving targets w/ handguns, especially when you life is in danger.  Frankly, I'm impressed that he was able to hit the dog at all the way most cops shoot

as to him shooting the dag 6 times
, well, handguns are not effective stoppers after all.  If he says the dog ate up the first shot and kept coming, I believe him.  Its not like in hollywood where the dog woudl have went flying across the room.

Maybe that would explain why there were bullet holes in the bottom of the baseboard where the dog usually laid down.

Yeah I alluded to that earlier on page 4 or so, but got ignored.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cops respond to burglar alarm to investigate and apprehend potential criminal, kill home owner's dog and riddle house with 7 bullet holes. Job well done. I don't want to see cops mauled by a dog, but seriously you're pretty much useless if you respond to a burglar alarm and cause that much damage.

First reaction is that it's not really cost effective to have cops respond to burglaries. Even if they didn't shoot/kill anything, if they missed the perp, you've got a handful of cops wasting their time and our tax dollars.  If something was stolen by said missing perp, guess who isn't investigating shit about your missing tv and computer?

I don't know the answer here. If my neighbors ankle biter went after my kid, I'd probably shoot the dog. But I'm just not certain a cop's first reaction should be to kill your dog. The cop typically has a partner (or a team), and access to protective equipment and non lethal weapons.
View Quote

You don't go into a possible burglary with non lethal options in hand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Two jittery guys were ambushed by a sleeping, middle-aged and over weight dog. They shot the folk's dog and house up but no bad guy. I suppose that family should be thankful and feel safer now, right? Job well done, right?

Guys, what are you defending?

ETA: Think about what was actually accomplished that day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two jittery guys were ambushed by a sleeping, middle-aged and over weight dog. They shot the folk's dog and house up but no bad guy. I suppose that family should be thankful and feel safer now, right? Job well done, right?

View Quote

Common sense.

Sucks for the dog and the family but like I said the cops are in the right. So far the argument is they shouldn't have done their job.

Typical.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This!  Many people treat their dogs like family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of these days, a pet owner is going to snap and no fucks will be given.

This!  Many people treat their dogs like family.

They are family.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Common sense.

Sucks for the dog and the family but like I said the cops are in the right. So far the argument is they shouldn't have done their job.

Typical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common sense.

Typical.

Their job? Common sense? Sucks for the dog and family? They posed the greatest danger to the homeowner's house and property, not some boogeyman. They shot their dog and house up with no boogeyman to show for it. Instead of defending this, you should be demanding some accountability.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Their job? Common sense? Sucks for the dog and family? They posed the greatest danger to the homeowner's house and property, not some boogeyman. They shot their dog and house up with no boogeyman to show for it. Instead of defending this, you should be demanding some accountability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common sense.

Typical.

Accountability for facts that are not known until after the event? Was there some kind of neon sign that was lit they ignored?

Family shouldn't have left the door open.

They went to a common alarm call and found a door open. Time to investigate, after all that's what cops do. Draw pistols due to a possible felony in progress. Clear house. Cme across  family dog in a room who barks and charges, necessitating them firing.

I can't find fault. The family will probably sue the city...big deal. Go away money will be laid and life will go on.

And maybe they'll shut the damn door next time
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Accountability for facts that are not known until after the event? Was there some kind of neon sign that was lit they ignored?

They went to a common alarm call and found a door open. Time to investigate, after all that's what cops do. Draw pistols due to a possible felony in progress. Clear house. Cme across  family dog in a room who barks and charges, necessitating them firing.

I can't find fault. The family will probably sue the city...big deal. Go away money will be laid and life will go on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common sense.

Typical.

Hammer meet nail; it's the only solution for every problem.

To a boy with a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
guys, I generally hate cops as much as the next guy, but we are talkign abotu a rottie here.  This isnt like that 15 lb dog that was tied up in a garage in colorado that got shot by some asshole cop b/c he didn't like being yapped at.  A rottie is a real danger.

I am pretty sure that if the cop though he could have certainly got back out the door before the dog got to him, he would have done that as everyone knows it is hard to hit moving targets w/ handguns, especially when you life is in danger.  Frankly, I'm impressed that he was able to hit the dog at all the way most cops shoot

as to him shooting the dag 6 times
, well, handguns are not effective stoppers after all.  If he says the dog ate up the first shot and kept coming, I believe him.  Its not like in hollywood where the dog woudl have went flying across the room.

Maybe that would explain why there were bullet holes in the bottom of the baseboard where the dog usually laid down.

True. But if the dog lunged from the futon then shouldn't the shots be into the futon not the bottom of the baseboard?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's what I don't get.

Report states dog is standing on the futon when the officer enters the room, growling and barking.

Many respondents here state cops probably didn't have time to get out of the room and shut the door, and/or didn't have time to holster gun and draw pepper spray (which many claim is MORE effective than firearms for stopping grizzly attacks(

SOOOO....

Do we need to train cops on what dog barking sounds like, so if they hear it from outside the room they can say 'Hey, maybe there is a dog inside there' and then can do something like have on officer holster his gun and draw pepper spray.  Add this to the tactic of opening the door just a little and looking inside.  As long as they don't see a burglar inside being eaten by the dog, just close the door and clear the rest of the house.

ALSO....

What kind of cop opens the door when clearing a room and enters with such distraction to his surroundings as to fail to notice a 120lb dog standing on a futon?   Remember, both offices were able to shoot at the dog, so unless both men stood shoulder-to shoulder in the doorframe (would they even fit?) both were in the room.  And according to some here the officers might not have had time to open the door, exit, and shut it, so now we are talking about a pair of officers who are supposed to be clearing a house of a potential burglar BOTH wandering in, then shutting the door, and THEN noticing a dog standing on the Futon barking and growling at them....a dog that had the opportunity to attack before it was even noticed and apparently was happy to just stand there and bark.  This spells out to me either #1 lying officers or #2 grossly incompetent officers.  AND it spells out a dog that was not dangerous, else it would have attacked earlier, like at the first seconds as the door was opened.
View Quote

And don't forget the only physical evidence left after the cleanup is two holes in the baseboard, which is inconsistent with the officers claim of the DPG standing on the futon growling.  Too me it sounds like the officers were both #1 and #2.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Serious question, is deescalation a no no in LE? You hear plenty of these stories, even from the officers prospective where backing off/backing out would save the dogs life and the officer some paperwork, yet they never seem to do so.
View Quote

No, you never hear of the thousands of times per week officers encounter and don't shoot dogs.  It doesn't make news.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the homeowner is saying the dog was laying on the floor where it usually laid hence the bullet holes in the bottom of the baseboard. Kind of hard to tell since the police cleaned up all the bullet cases and blood before the homeowner got there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The homeowner's version of events is that the cops shot the dog while he was laying on the futon, and no lunging ever occurredThis the same homeowner that wasn't there?.

I think the homeowner is saying the dog was laying on the floor where it usually laid hence the bullet holes in the bottom of the baseboard. Kind of hard to tell since the police cleaned up all the bullet cases and blood before the homeowner got there.

The same homeowner that wasn't on scene at the time of the shooting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, you never hear of the thousands of times per week officers encounter and don't shoot dogs.  It doesn't make news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, is deescalation a no no in LE? You hear plenty of these stories, even from the officers prospective where backing off/backing out would save the dogs life and the officer some paperwork, yet they never seem to do so.

I would have to strongly agree. Bad news travels faster and farther than good news.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

YAY! Another 60 pages of the popo shot the woof woof thread!! Whoooohoooooooo
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know how I know you don't clear rooms for a living?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would have to strongly agree. Bad news travels faster and farther than good news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's it. I also agree. Same with all news stories, they promote the exceptions, not the average. My brother loves his dog like a kid. People get really close to their animals, and when they hear stories like this, is pisses them off. Without being in that situation I couldn't say if it was a good shoot on the dog or not. The worry is they are shooting it to reduce chaos from barking loud and obnoxious dog. The reality is different.

It sucks. Dogs are good things. You gotta protect yourself first as a LEO though. I do hope people put SOME value to k9 life as well as human. A pet is property, but its living so its more significant than a VCR. I know a lot of LEOs who are dog lovers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do the police, really.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Poor dog, good shoot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine that a good bit of the non-military and/or non-LEO posters in this forum would shit themselves if they had to clear a house where there was a real chance of encountering a bad guy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However it is you would be correct. Please educate me as to the process.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Look carefully above my avatar and tell what it says...Then go back to page 4 and see what it says there....(Same thing it says on this page)

I seriously think you have a problem with attention to detail and reading comprehension.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps, if you don't like reading posts from people who disagree with you, you might enjoy the BOTS forum better.

Do you?

I'm not even mad.  

I'm supposed to pay attention to detail while you keep name calling and avoiding any discussion of the topic.

We won't make any progress until you can treat this objectively.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what point is trying to be made anyway, from hearing the lamentations of most police, they're tactical training is wholly inadequate. I doubt any officers that don't serve on some sort of tactical team have received any specialized room clearing training, unless they procured it themselves on their own dime.

CQB is also a very technical and perishable skill and taking a couple day course one time doesn't make one adequately trained.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wow...just...wow...

Do you even have a dog?

I'm talking about a dog that weighs in excess of 50lbs and chews on pig femurs for fun.

What are those long teeth in the corners of the dog's mouth called....the ones for ripping flesh and piercing into meat.....the ones that resemble knives without the serrations....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long does it take to close a door? 1 second?  How fast for a 120 pound jumping rot to bite you?  if 1 second or less you're a chew toy

Wow...just...wow...

Do you even have a dog?

LOL try again.  I've owned many large breed dogs including a pitbull that weighed nearly 100lbs.

My current dog is a GSD/Gldn Ret. mix that weighs about 80-90 lbs.  I've been bit by several dogs when I was young and delivered pizzas for a living.

Your overly dramatic description of dog teeth suggests you have never actually been bit.  Or you're behaving this way because my criticism of these cops threatens you in some way.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Every burg here gets followed up on.
The success of that investigation depends on how well the homeowner has set aside information on their personal property.
Don't blame LE for that homeowner shortcoming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't think that, unless of course there's a good chance you can find it which seems unlikely.  But don't shoot up my fucking house and dog over a burglary when you wouldn't be following up on missing stuff anyways.

Every burg here gets followed up on.
The success of that investigation depends on how well the homeowner has set aside information on their personal property.
Don't blame LE for that homeowner shortcoming.

I expect others to do the same, so I should own up to my expectations: you have very reasonable points here. Not much I can say in response.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what point is trying to be made anyway, from hearing the lamentations of most police, they're tactical training is wholly inadequate. I doubt any officers that don't serve on some sort of tactical team have received any specialized room clearing training, unless they procured it themselves on their own dime.

CQB is also a very technical and perishable skill and taking a couple day course one time doesn't make one adequately trained.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So watching a couple youtube videos and practicing at home would make the average joe close to the same level of training as a police officer from an underfunded agency?

I know a couple guys on a local swat team and they train a LOT according to them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So watching a couple youtube videos and practicing at home would make the average joe close to the same level of training as a police officer from an underfunded agency?

I know a couple guys on a local swat team and they train a LOT according to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're on a full time tac team then maybe they do, then again maybe they don't, people like to exaggerate their training and experience so who knows.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If they're on a full time tac team then maybe they do, then again maybe they don't, people like to exaggerate their training and experience so who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full time and legit. Them and the others I had a chance to meet were all in good shape from daily lifting and working out. The one made a comment about the other being too honest to which I kind of .
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Full time and legit. Them and the others I had a chance to meet were all in good shape from daily lifting and working out. The one made a comment about the other being too honest to which I kind of .
View Quote

Too honest with regards to what exactly, tactics and such?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More so of speaking out when he was wrong yet could have gotten away with something. He was a pretty squared away and honest guy but to hear a fellow officer chide him about it caught me off guard.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That room was successfully cleared.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Common sense.

Typical.

Not necessarily.

What you're not understanding is that the cops did not know they were responding to an open door instead of a legitimate burglary.

When you respond to a burglar alarm and find an open door, you have to assume and treat it as if it's a real no shit burglary.
When responding to a real no shit burglary and doing a building search, you're not going to have less lethal methods in hand.
You're going to have your duty weapon in your hand.

Because you are treating this as a no shit real burglary, you're going to spend as little time in a doorway as possible.
You're going to go through them as quickly as possible and get as deep into the room as quickly as possible.

This may mean you come across a dog in the residence.

A big dog from a breed that can be aggressive and territorial.

If you're in the room and confronted by a large breed dog that is from a breed that is known to be aggressive and territorial, and you have your pistol in your hand because your conducting a building search after responding to a burglar alarm and discovered an open door, and the dog then stands up and growls and lunges......

Odds are, that dog is going to get shot at and or shot.

You're not going to have time to run back to the door before the dog is on you, and you're not going to have time to holster your pistol and pull either your taser, or your pepper spray.

Tasers are difficult to use on dogs since the darts come out at an 8 degree vertical angle of separation.  The Taser is designed to be used primarily on bipedal humans  and to be used on animals that are approximately 2.5 feet in height and approximately 3.5 feet in length, you need to turn it sideways to get both darts in. If you don't get both darts in, you get no electrical current to the target and instead you have a very angry dog....ask me how I know.

I've also seen pepper spray fail to immediately stop a large determined dog from attacking. Additionally, you try not to use pepper spray inside a building if possible because that shit gets everywhere and affects everyone. So you could have the possibility of having a very pissed off dog and two blind officers in a building with a possible burglar inside.

Less lethal was not an option in this case.

Everyone can agree that the dog is shorter than the officers. Officers shooting at the dog from a higher position will put bullets in a downward trajectory. Bullets that miss or penetrate the dog completely will strike the wall/baseboard at a low angle.

This was a shitty situation. I like dogs. I have two big dogs myself and I love them.
But in this case I wouldn't blame the cops for shooting my dogs for attacking them/ strangers in the house, (that's what large aggressive territorial breed dogs do, and why people keep them), and I would not hesitate to shoot dogs attacking me in the same situation.

Some of the poo flingers on this board act as if the cops went to a random house,  found an open door and went inside with the intention of shooting someone's dog and house to hell and gone.

If that is in fact what actually happened, then I absolutely feel those cops should be fired, forced to pay damages for the house and the lost dog and should face jail time.

But I really, seriously, doubt that is what happened.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times you cleared buildings since you got out of the military?
I bet I've cleared more buildings this year due to legit burglaries than you have since you got out.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm supposed to pay attention to detail while you keep name calling and avoiding any discussion of the topic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you?

I'm not even mad.  

LOL....Said the guy who hasn't been objective since the thread started....
Pot/kettle, Glass houses & rocks, etc.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I bet I've cleared more buildings this year due to legit burglaries than you have since you got out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you have, since I've cleared zero since EAS. Assuming you're talking about real building clearing and not just practicing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

CQB is also a very technical and perishable skill and taking a couple day course one time doesn't make one adequately trained
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CQB is also a very technical and perishable skill and taking a couple day course one time doesn't make one adequately trained

This is very much correct.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL try again.  I've owned many large breed dogs including a pitbull that weighed nearly 100lbs.

My current dog is a GSD/Gldn Ret. mix that weighs about 80-90 lbs.  I've been bit by several dogs when I was young and delivered pizzas for a living.

Your overly dramatic description of dog teeth suggests you have never actually been bit.  Or you're behaving this way because my criticism of these cops threatens you in some way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...just...wow...
Do you even have a dog?

I've been bit before and criticism of my profession doesn't bother me.
You have not been criticizing though. You've been attacking from a zero knowledge standpoint.
It is readily apparent you don't know what you're talking about and what you are opining about as fact has basis in reality.

You are claiming that the cops should have done this, that, or the other thing, and when someone who knowledge of the subject comes along and tells you why they didn't or probably couldn't have done the things you are suggesting, you began to make personal attacks and to belittle them.

Then you try and turn this into me attacking you.

I don't tell you how to deliver pizzas because I don't know anything about it.
Were this a thread on pizza delivery tactics and methodology, then I would not state my opinions as fact.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm sure you have, since I've cleared zero since EAS. Assuming you're talking about real building clearing and not just practicing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, real building clearing, not training.
I've only been able to attend one MACTAC training session this year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

<snip>

Not necessarily.

What you're not understanding is that the cops did not know they were responding to an open door instead of a legitimate burglary.

When you respond to a burglar alarm and find an open door, you have to assume and treat it as if it's a real no shit burglary.
When responding to a real no shit burglary and doing a building search, you're not going to have less lethal methods in hand.

Because you are treating this as a no shit real burglary, you're going to spend as little time in a doorway as possible.
You're going to go through them as quickly as possible and get as deep into the room as quickly as possible.

If you're in the room and confronted by a large breed dog that is from a breed that is known to be aggressive and territorial, and you have your pistol in your hand because your conducting a building search after responding to a burglar alarm and discovered an open door, and the dog then stands up and growls and lunges......

You're not going to have time to run back to the door before the dog is on you, and you're not going to have time to holster your pistol and pull either your taser, or your pepper spray.

Tasers are difficult to use on dogs since the darts come out at an 8 degree vertical angle of separation.  The Taser is designed to be used primarily on bipedal humans  and to be used on animals that are approximately 2.5 feet in height and approximately 3.5 feet in length, you need to turn it sideways to get both darts in. If you don't get both darts in, you get no electrical current to the target and instead you have a very angry dog....ask me how I know.

I've also seen pepper spray fail to immediately stop a large determined dog from attacking. Additionally, you try not to use pepper spray inside a building if possible because that shit gets everywhere and affects everyone. So you could have the possibility of having a very pissed off dog and two blind officers in a building with a possible burglar inside.

Everyone can agree that the dog is shorter than the officers. Officers shooting at the dog from a higher position will put bullets in a downward trajectory. Bullets that miss or penetrate the dog completely will strike the wall/baseboard at a low angle.

This was a shitty situation. I like dogs. I have two big dogs myself and I love them.
But in this case I wouldn't blame the cops for shooting my dogs for attacking them/ strangers in the house, (that's what large aggressive territorial breed dogs do, and why people keep them), and I would not hesitate to shoot dogs attacking me in the same situation.

Some of the poo flingers on this board act as if the cops went to a random house,  found an open door and went inside with the intention of shooting someone's dog and house to hell and gone.

If that is in fact what actually happened, then I absolutely feel those cops should be fired, forced to pay damages for the house and the lost dog and should face jail time.

View Quote

Hey, I appreciate your response. It was candid and offered informative points. But the fact still remains; they responded to a call, and during the course of clearing they managed to shoot up a homeowner's house and kill the dog and have no bad guy to show for it. That doesn't strike you as fail?

ETA: When those you entrust pose a greater danger than the criminal element, some serious review on mindset needs to occur.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hey, I appreciate your response. It was candid and offered informative points. But the fact still remains; they responded to a call, and during the course of clearing they managed to shoot up a homeowner's house and kill the dog and have no bad guy to show for it. That doesn't strike you as fail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Not necessarily.

Fail because they don't have a bad guy to show for it?
They don't have a bad guy because it wasn't a burglary in the first place and they had no way of knowing that until after the homeowner returned.

Shooting the dog was far from ideal, but as a cop who is a former infantry Marine with CQB training, and has gone in and found a burglar hiding in a building, I don't see how they had any other choice.

I seriously believe that if not shooting the dog and not getting bit in the process (of not shooting the dog), was a viable option, that the dog would still be alive.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Round Rock Police commander Jim Stuart said the dog was barking and growling before lunging at an officer.

One of the officers fired a single shot; the second officer fired six rounds. Stuart said the dog kept coming at them after being shot the first time.

Sadly, this.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

<snip>

Fail because they don't have a bad guy to show for it?
They don't have a bad guy because it wasn't a burglary in the first place and they had no way of knowing that until after the homeowner returned.

Shooting the dog was far from ideal, but as a cop who is a former infantry Marine with CQB training, and has gone in and found a burglar hiding in a building, I don't see how they had any other choice.

I seriously believe that if not shooting the dog and not getting bit in the process (of not shooting the dog), was a viable option, that the dog would still be alive.
View Quote

Not because there is no bad guy; that is additional bruising. It is a failure because they jumped into a hole they couldn't climb out of. How do you go into a room without a plan to get out? Two armed officers were ambushed by an old overweight dog.

ETA: I apologize for being a bit facetious but push come to shove, you have to wonder if you're safer by not calling 911.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun is already up, "sight picture" is where ever you are looking in CQB (if you're trained correctly and holding the gun where it should be) and you're already 3-4 feet into the room in the first 1/4 second. Even on "slow and methodical" searches you clear the "funnel" quickly and get out of the bullet trap.

I know and have worked with a lot of cops.....thousands. Apart from one that was a degenerate of a human being none of them liked killing dogs. Also, none of them liked getting dog bit either.

Regardless of what GD thinks we don't look forward to shooting dogs.

Oh yeah, last thing....NEVER turn your back on any dog especially an aggressive one. If the dog is on the fence about attacking you or not, he'll quickly make a decision when you turn your back to him ....go ahead try it. You always face the dog and back out slowly not quickly.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ETA: When those you entrust pose a greater danger than the criminal element, some serious review on mindset needs to occur.
View Quote

7 shots, 5 hit the dog, isolated to one room.  This is not the definition of "shoot up a homeowner's house".  This is hyperbole.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top