BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But one of the most deadly bc of its affects.  And I'd read there is no anti-venom.  But who knows.
View Quote
So don't get bit.  It's really, really easy with Coral Snakes.  Mostly it involves not fucking with it.  

For those of ya'll that just hate snakes for no goddamn reason, might want to check up on the primary diet of coral snakes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I even gave this grumpy dude a pass, you pussies.  He wad well away from camp.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one that shows up from time to time in my front yard. Doesn't bother me or my pets... he lives on. Water Moc however gets the lead injection.
View Quote

Yeah, I really don’t have too much tolerance for Moccasins. I’ve relayed more two encounters in other posts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was a kid my best friend was almost killed by one. It was curled up by the back steps of his house and he almost stepped on it when he walked outside.

Death to all coral snakes
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/1667943699124_jpg-2592746.JPG
View Quote

Dang that one is THICCC.

Another arf thread in testament to rampant member ophidiophobia.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
"Black head means dead"

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Coral snakes give you Polio?
View Quote

Their venom is a neurotoxin.  It will eventually paralyze skeletal and smooth muscles and you will asphixiate when you diaphragm and intercostals decides to quit working.  It can also paralyze the muscles that line your intestine so you will bloat and explode!

I dont know how/why it won't affect the heart but it supposedly won't
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So don't get bit.  It's really, really easy with Coral Snakes.  Mostly it involves not fucking with it.  

For those of ya'll that just hate snakes for no goddamn reason, might want to check up on the primary diet of coral snakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But one of the most deadly bc of its affects.  And I'd read there is no anti-venom.  But who knows.

I won’t.  I’m lucky and have only come across water snakes in the wild.  That’s what I think they were.  I was just stating what I’ve read about corals.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Land mines are harmless unless you fuck with them or step on them.
BIP.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Kill all poisonous snakes you run across. Anything else is pants on head retarded.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
See a snake, kill a snake.  This also works with pit bulls.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid, we were driving somewhere and encountered a snake in the road.  My dad stopped and asked me whether it was a coral snake or the other, non-venomous one that looks like it (milk snake).  I replied that it was a coral.  He ran over it.  I was pissed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

@ midcap
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.
View Quote

Oh wayward, wandering word-smith

Well done, Sir

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Any venomous snake on my property or even near it gets deaded. Popped a 3 ft water moccasin on my lake front beach a couple weeks ago. Saw another one a few days later but didn't have a firearm handy. Tried to break his back with a boat paddle but that didn't work. Still looking for that fucker occasionally. We have hognose, black racer and king snake on our property and they're all welcome.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.
View Quote

That old rhyme doesnt always work . Ive see all black coral snakes and ive seen the with only black and yellow bands .
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Years ago walking down a forest trail in east texas, I was not paying attention.  For reasons that I can never explain, I just by chance happened to look down and stopped dead in my tracks.  I almost stepped on a coral snake.  I jumped backwards and the snake went swoosh into the bushes.  

Lucky me nothing happened.  I had just read the other day about a national lack of anti toxin for coral snakes due to the lack of bites.  Did I mention that I did not have any health insurance at the time, being unemployed and having my cobra expire.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I always thought it was Red on Black, two steps back...Red on Yellow, friendly fellow.

With my limited knowledge of Coral snake ID it's a good thing we don't have them here.
View Quote

Red next to yellow, don't touch that sumbitch....er fellow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, are you sinless?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I had an altercation with one of these a few months back.

While I was looking up what it was this other dude started trapping it in a bucket. He ended up releasing it near a marsh.

Afterwards I told him he just handled one of the most venomous snakes in the country.

But the odd part about it was that he didnt handle the snake all that gently and the thing displayed absolutely 0 aggression whatsoever. It just wanted to go away and be left alone. Not once did it do anything other than retreat.

So I dont what in the hell it would take to get one to bite you.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That old rhyme doesnt always work . Ive see all black coral snakes and ive seen the with only black and yellow bands .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.

People refuse to learn things though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Love to see in in the wild. Kill copperheads on sight. Although they are truly beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You have to really put in some work to get a coral snake to envenomate you.  I'd let it live.
View Quote

This. You CAN be bitten without fucking with them, but it's about as rare as a serious reaction from a hognose bite.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let live, they are rear fanged. You would have to work to try to get venomated. It is close to impossible to get hurt by a coral.
View Quote

Front fanged. They have a tiny mouth, difficulty in biting something as big of a person leads to the rear fanged myth.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Forget the Rhymes.. Coral snakes have a black nose. I might see 1 every 3 to 5 years... I have never killed one myself, I carefully catch them and relocated them in the woods away from any house.
View Quote

Not to mention South American coral snakes have red bands touching black, and thanks to escaped and released pets there's a chance of encountering one in a warm state.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, are you sinless?
View Quote

Absolutely not. Why?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#31]
That one is on my grail catch list. Proper precautions and safety taken, ill probably never see one.

Let it live. They spend most of their time hiding and eating in the ground or leaf litter!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I was a kid my best friend was almost killed by one. It was curled up by the back steps of his house and he almost stepped on it when he walked outside.

View Quote

Yes, if you so much as brush up against one you'll die instantly.

Nice drama queening.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is where I'm generally at though I've never actually seen one as I'm a northerner. Rattlers, copper heads, cotton mouths... dead on sight. But I hear those coral snakes are pretty docile.
View Quote

@Vne

If you are in MN, you don't have Cottonmouths or Copperheads to worry about anyways.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Venomous snakes that appear in my yard die.

Venomous snakes that appear beyond the boundaries of my yard live.

Except for cottonmouths. Cottonmouths that try to get fish off my stringer or out of my fish basket die.

I hate cottonmouths and freely admit I doth persecute them at times.

View Quote

Cottonmouths aren't in Somalia.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#35]
In the house...dead.  I don't touch live snakes if I dont have to touch them.

Outside away from the house.....let them live.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Here we might run across one of these little kittehs.
This one was in the Krabi province where I was last year.
Thailand's volunteer worker catching a huge king cobra with his bare hands.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In the house...dead.  I don't touch live snakes if I dont have to touch them.

Outside away from the house.....let them live.
View Quote
Man your avatar has me thinking there is a glitch in the matrix blinking barely like that. I had to stare at it to be sure I am not crazy....I am still not sure.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Vne

If you are in MN, you don't have Cottonmouths or Copperheads to worry about anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where I'm generally at though I've never actually seen one as I'm a northerner. Rattlers, copper heads, cotton mouths... dead on sight. But I hear those coral snakes are pretty docile.

@Vne

That's true. But I come from Missouri and that's where all my family is. Consequently, that's where I travel to most often with my kids. We've got a total of 200 acres down there with lots of ponds and one really nice, year-round stream. So I see the damn things all the time... even though I am now a Minnesotan.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I worked a medical call years back. 12 year old boy picked up a Coral snake thinking it was a King snake. He draped the snake around his neck and walked home from his bus stop. He walked into his house and his father freaked out seeing the snake and tried to hit the snake with a work boot. The snake bit the kid on the neck, the dad beat the snake to death with a kitchen chair. So we had the dead snake to positive ID the bite.

We set up an LZ in the field down the road and flew the kid out. He survived.

During Wildland Firefighter training we had a Herpetologist from the State of Florida teach a block of instruction on snake encounters. One thing that stood out to me and I remind people all the time....Coral snakes can be albino(and other names for color and lack of colors, I don't remember those names ), and can be all black and various other color combinations. So do not trust the old rhymes to ID a snake, just don't mess with it. Down in the Keys, Coral snakes mostly all lack the color yellow or have only one yellow band.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in S FL, never saw one (besides at the zoo).  Was definitely raised being scared as all get out of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.

Likely the only reason he survived is because his dad was a doctor and prepper who had antivenin on hand but yeah, totally drama queening
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Likely the only reason he survived is because his dad was a doctor and prepper who had antivenin on hand but yeah, totally drama queening
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.

So they waited most of a day to even try to help him? Because coral snake venom can take 12 to 14 hours to start causing issues in a human-one person who almost died went to the bar hours after the bite, bragging about the bite. Started drinking and collapsed.

Barring an allergy you've got plenty of time to get to a hospital after a bite. His dad being a prepper with his own antivenom sounds like Dad might have tried treating him himself-which could be exactly the reason he was almost killed instead of being miserable in the hospital. Very few doctors actually know how to properly treat a venomous snakebite-hell, I know of cases where the doctor gave rabies shots for a python bite.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Let it live.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So they waited most of a day to even try to help him? Because coral snake venom can take 12 to 14 hours to start causing issues in a human-one person who almost died went to the bar hours after the bite, bragging about the bite. Started drinking and collapsed.

Barring an allergy you've got plenty of time to get to a hospital after a bite. His dad being a prepper with his own antivenom sounds like Dad might have tried treating him himself-which could be exactly the reason he was almost killed instead of being miserable in the hospital. Very few doctors actually know how to properly treat a venomous snakebite-hell, I know of cases where the doctor gave rabies shots for a python bite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.

I'll take the doc's word for it over an internet expert.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck anything with a neurotoxin.  Anyone that tells you a coral snake won't strike is lying.  Sure not as aggressive as a rattler, but F ck that snake.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#46]
With kids around, this guy needed to go

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.

The person who told my wife and I to abort our daughter because she was going to be born with Down's and spina bifida was a doctor too. He was wrong.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The person who told my wife and I to abort our daughter because she was going to be born with Down's and spina bifida was a doctor too. He was wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice drama queening.

Opinion on what might happen =! relaying what happened but okay.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is that?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top