Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2015 2:48:53 PM EDT
Recipe calls for 1/4 cup or oil I'm doubling that so is one stick of butter fine or will that mess up the recipe (nobody needs a half damn cup of oil in it) (Cornbread)
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you making it in?

I use an iron skillet. The oil is important. You also don't want it too thick or it will burn on the outside and be underdone in the middle. I would make 2 batches and follow the recipe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recipe calls for 1/4 cup or oil I'm doubling that so is one stick of butter fine or will that mess up the recipe (nobody needs a half damn cup of oil in it) (Cornbread)
View Quote

If the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of oil, use a 1/2 cup of oil. Or substitute at your own peril.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of oil, use a 1/2 cup of oil. Or substitute at your own peril.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I substituted at my own peril (oven baking) I had to hurry up but I think it may yet turn out fine.
ETA: Made decision before seeing replies also.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You could get away with skimping a little but to get the texture and for it to cook right I would not cut back to much.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You short the oil in cornbread and it'll be dry.        

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ended up putting some in but since there was butter in it not too much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No lie, that's how I like cornbread anyhow, With some butter. You can short some oil if you use pork craklins though

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It might be a little dry. Next time if you really want to cut back on the fat but keep it moist add some creamed corn. It keeps it moist and adds a lot of corn flavor. You may find that you will need to cook it longer. Use a tooth pick in the middle and if it pulls clean it is done. We do a double batch and use 10oz can of creamed corn.

I like to really preheat the pan, pour in the the hot oil and coat the pan then pour in the batter. The sides fry up nice and crisp!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It might be a little dry. Next time if you really want to cut back on the fat but keep it moist add some creamed corn. It keeps it moist and adds a lot of corn flavor. You may find that you will need to cook it longer. Use a tooth pick in the middle and if it pulls clean it is done. We do a double batch and use 10oz can of creamed corn.

I like to really preheat the pan, pour in the the hot oil and coat the pan then pour in the batter. The sides fry up nice and crisp!
View Quote

Will post pic when done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
1/2 cup of oil in corn bread??? Is that a Yankee thing or something?

Here is Alton's recipe, it's pretty close to what we do, except Alton forgot to add the bacon grease to the bottom of the skillet.

Alton's Corn Bread
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, man, no oil.  And, no sugar, but since you're in PA I'm sure you'll do it anyway.

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk
selfrising cornmeal to a texture that I can't convey to you without being there (probably 2 cups)

If no selfrising cornmeal, you need 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder.

Mix, put in Crisco'd and HEATED 10" skillet, 25 minutes at 350 deg.

7th gen recipe from my people in the State of GA.

I salute you for making cornbread.  It's a lost art.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey, man, no oil.  And, no sugar, but since you're in PA I'm sure you'll do it anyway.

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk
selfrising cornmeal to a texture that I can't convey to you without being there (probably 2 cups)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

Just following the recipe on the back of Indian Head Old Fashioned  Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal I will get a real southern recipe such as that one time and do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I substituted at my own peril (oven baking) I had to hurry up but I think it may yet turn out fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what was the point of the thread?  You're one of those people that ask for advice and then does whatever they originally was gonna do anyway even though everyone tells you its a bad idea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Then what was the point of the thread?  You're one of those people that ask for advice and then does whatever they originally was gonna do anyway even though everyone tells you its a bad idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really had to run and do something before I got any replies. Now I'm just learning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you intend on eating the entire thing yourself, in one sitting?

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]

In Baking

Never delete the fat in a recipe. You can easily swap it out for other fat with better taste, like butter or lard or bacon grease.

Thicker fats should be softened before mixing.

You can swap for healthier oil, but make sure you don't go with too thin an oil when baking.

Saute or pan frying you can go as thin as you want.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

How do I know you're from the South?  Because you know what Crisco is, and know that it and Bacon Grease are one of the greatest things that ever happened to corn bread.
You also show NO sugar in that recipe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't look dry. There would be a lot more crumbs from cutting it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not but maybe shouldn't have made it so deep? Outside is a little crisp (slightly black on bottom, dark brown on very top.) I'm guessing if it was thinner the inside would have cooked before that happened.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's not but maybe shouldn't have made it so deep? Outside is a little crisp (slightly black on bottom, dark brown on very top.) I'm guessing if it was thinner the inside would have cooked before that happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, cook it in an iron skillet, not a breadpan.  In the oven.  Rub shortening in the skillet and preheat it in the oven, this keeps the cornbread from sticking.  Then, take out the skillet and pour the batter in and cook.

Folk tale:  there are those that are superstitious about cutting cornbread bringing bad luck.  You are supposed to break it.  (just info, I cut it as if it was a pie)
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why you cook it in a cast iron skillet.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Like I said, cook it in an iron skillet, not a breadpan.  In the oven.  Rub shortening in the skillet and preheat it in the oven, this keeps the cornbread from sticking.  Then, take out the skillet and pour the batter in and cook.

Folk tale:  there are those that are superstitious about cutting cornbread bringing bad luck.  You are supposed to break it.  (just info, I cut it as if it was a pie)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat, and next time I'll use a cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
For the double recipe, a 9 X 13 baking pan would have worked. I need to get me a cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do I know you're from the South?  Because you know what Crisco is, and know that it and Bacon Grease are one of the greatest things that ever happened to corn bread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

Damn right.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baking is much different then cooking. If it calls for it you better use it, or you likely won't end up with the desired end product. Normal food? Not so much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baking is much different then cooking. If it calls for it you better use it, or you likely won't end up with the desired end product. Normal food? Not so much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]
"Oil?"

Bacon grease.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...

Then why do you fear oil?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cut down on the oil!  Replace half of what the recipe calls for with honey.  Bake at a lower temp. and keep a close eye on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cut down on the oil!  Replace half of what the recipe calls for with honey.  Bake at a lower temp. and keep a close eye on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cooking is cooking, feel free to mess around with any recipe as you wish.

Baking is science. Stick to the recipe unless you're willing to ruin a bunch of stuff.

1/4 cup of honey in cornbread? Really?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cook on the stove?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cook on the stove?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cook on the stove?
No, in the oven.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No, in the oven.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cook on the stove?
No, in the oven.  

Pre-heat skillet in oven as well...it should sizzle when you put the batter in. Helps create the delicious, crunchy/crispy crust...

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Wgr9IVS.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/Wgr9IVS.png

That's a thing of beauty.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

I just use Alton Brown's recipe. The man is born, raised (and still living) in Georgia. A little sugar is fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just use Alton Brown's recipe. The man is born, raised (and still living) in Georgia. A little sugar is fine.
View Quote

Sugar is for tea, not cornbread.  

To quote Emeril, "you put sugar in it, you adulterate it."
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

And all that crap about lubricating an AR is crap too (nobody needs lube on it) (AR).
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#41]
This is golden brown I blame the camera.

I used 1/2 a cup of oil this time and some bacon grease. It's not dry at all and tastes a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#42]
The only thing I think that might not be okay is I used bread flour because there wasn't any all purpose left. Tastes fine though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 egg
1/2 cup bacon grease
2 cups buttermilk

Damn right.

http://www.somegif.com/gifs/13924742111596534766.GIF

This.  Fuck that Southern candy cornbread bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The only thing I think that might not be okay is I used bread flour because there wasn't any all purpose left. Tastes fine though.
View Quote

Shit, I don't use flour at all. Or oil.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know some people don't use flour but I didn't feel like trying my luck right now doing something new. Other hand everyone says use oil because it keeps it from getting dry.
ETA: And if not oil, bacon grease.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll grant that you're not making cake (it shouldn't be sweet), but a one lil' ol' tablespoon of sugar in a batch is a nice touch.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#47]
IN for pictures and recipes. I love cornbread
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Not in any way an answer to your question...

Fry several strips of bacon and leave the fat in the cast iron pan.  Pour cornbread batter in the pan and bake it. Lovely little heart attack in a pan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#49]
The biggest problem I have with cornbread is there is almost never any actual corn in it.  Alton calls for creamed corn, which is close but you really don't get any big pieces.  I take two boxes of cheap Jiffy mix, mix in half a can of creamed corn, half a can of whole kernel, a half cup of Parmesan cheese, reduce the amount of liquid called for on the box and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.  I do it at least once a month for dinner with baked beans on the side, first time I made it I was still in high school and my Mom still asks me to make it for the family when I visit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The biggest problem I have with cornbread is there is almost never any actual corn in it.  Alton calls for creamed corn, which is close but you really don't get any big pieces.  I take two boxes of cheap Jiffy mix, mix in half a can of creamed corn, half a can of whole kernel, a half cup of Parmesan cheese, reduce the amount of liquid called for on the box and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.  I do it at least once a month for dinner with baked beans on the side, first time I made it I was still in high school and my Mom still asks me to make it for the family when I visit.
View Quote

I had baked beans with it last night (not homemade Bush's) And I thought the only reason it was called cornbread is because it was made with cornmeal instead of flour. The pieces of corn being optional by the person.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top