Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time I spent a lot of time sleeping on a Cot it was one of these. Not bunked of course but it was comfortable enough for the year I slept on it

Picture:
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
We're currently using two of these for weekends at our farm/BOL.  With an 1-1/2" Walmart foam pad, they sleep really well.

Bass Pro Oversize Cot

$79.99 and they come with a carry bag
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do long term on an aluminum cot. It will slowly cave in. I'm currently sleeping in a camping hammock using an outdoor hammock stand/frame indoors.  
View Quote

This is probably your best long term non bed option
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Get an IKEA platform bed.  They're small enough to move easily when broken down, and the mattresses can be rolled up to fit in your Crosstrek.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy an air bed at Wal-Mart. Plug it in, turn it on an in 5 minute you have a full size beb that is comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Futon.
View Quote

+1.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cots are comfortable to me.
View Quote

New to. Give me a good old GI Issue aluminum cot any day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Cots are horrible.  I can never get comfortable on them, so I can never sleep worth a shit.  I'd rather sleep on the ground with a foam pad.

If I needed something portable for long term use, I'd either get a futon or an aerobed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get an IKEA platform bed.  They're small enough to move easily when broken down, and the mattresses can be rolled up to fit in your Crosstrek.
View Quote

Never even considered looking at IKEA, been browsing there site. Some good stuff for cheap there.

Sounds like a good percent are no to fond of cots, thinking a small bed might be worth the cost of it being a bitch to move.

Thanks for everyones help!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Run a search on futons.

I had a small fold up 3 piece that you could make into a seat on the floor with a backrest or unfold flat and sleep on it.  Futon mats are also something to read on.  New ones did not bother me, after using for a bit the memory foam mattress toppers were something I looked at and eventually bought for when sleeping on it.

I have a real bed these days but when a futon chair was offered by someone moving I brought it home.  It dismantles into small pieces to be easy to move up apartment stairwells or anywhere else.

The chair has a foot stool and if you fold the chair flat and use the foot stool you have a bed.

Once again, memory foam wins in my opinion.

I am not against cots, but do some research on how to size things so you don't wind up with some of the issues others have mentioned.  It is not a big deal to sleep poorly and cramped up for a few nights.  It is a huge deal to do every night for a long period of time.

Futons made out of wooden frames that are easily dismantled are my choice for what you are talking about.  I have never had experience with a big cot long term, dealt with old style cots in scouts and here and there over the years and overall it would have to be something in excellent shape for me to mess with one these days.  Bit enough to easily fit on, and not something that would sag over time like someone mentioned with an aluminum cot.

I consider a futon simpler.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can't do that, hate them.

Space is certainly a problem, but a bigger problem is being the owner of something that is large an a pain to move.

I guess I could just buy a twin or something. My feet will hang off but whatever
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air mattress?

Can't do that, hate them.

Space is certainly a problem, but a bigger problem is being the owner of something that is large an a pain to move.

I guess I could just buy a twin or something. My feet will hang off but whatever

Extra long twin?  Same length as a queen mattress?

Most cots aren't that long.

Unless you are absolutely set on packing all your stuff into a sedan when you move, or you move several times a year, a bed is no problem.  Put it in a utility trailer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I slept in a foxhole, a M151Jeep, and an M113.  A cot felt damn good when we finally got a break to sleep in a cot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheap foam mattress from Amazon, lay it on the floor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Front gate folding inflatable queen

Sets itself up and takes itself down. It looks like a regular bed when set up.
When it is in its bag you store it in the corner. Give it a look and read the reviews.

About $300 if I recall

If that does not work then another vote for the Cabelas XL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll give up my guns before I give up my king sized beautyrest mattress.  

Most of my cot experience involved bug spray on the legs and checking your boots in the morning for scorpions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I've slept on one of these fold out mattresses from Costco for the last four years. I combine it with a sleeping bag, a poncho liner, and a pillow. It's very comfortable and stows away in the closet during the day.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top