Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/10/2021 8:31:53 PM EDT
Could a round from a Tiger with a clear shot take out an Abrams tank? Assume perfect shot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Could a round from a Tiger with a clear shot take out an Abrams tank?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/09E5D967-F9EC-4769-9A05-3210CD2AACC2_jpe-1900280.JPG
View Quote

Hit it in the rear, sure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hit it in the rear, sure.
View Quote

Of course it would need the Abrams to stop moving first...
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Could a round from a Tiger with a clear shot take out an Abrams tank?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/09E5D967-F9EC-4769-9A05-3210CD2AACC2_jpe-1900280.JPG
View Quote

That’s the King (Royal) Tiger.

This has been discussed before and I believe it could. Not frontally of course.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It would have to be a hell of a good shot in the right place at the right range. Having said that, they very well could.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
With a golden bullet, sure. The real question is how many Tigers the Abrams kills before one manages to get in a position to fire said golden bullet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s the King (Royal) Tiger

View Quote

Yep. Totally different gun and round.
Last 2 for comparison
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
M1A1 took a direct hit from 155mm, US in cold war era testing.  Don't remember what type of round or where it hit, or mobility after the hit or fighting capability after the hit, but they said crew would have survived.  Video showed the whole tank sort of lifted like it turned on a hovercraft mode and then settled down.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You could sent a battalion of tigers and the M1 kills them all before they fire a shot
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s the King (Royal) Tiger.

This has been discussed before and I believe it could. Not frontally of course.

View Quote

True, and a valid point out, since the King Tiger had a bigger cartridge.  Still an 88mm, but it was like a Magnum version, quite a bit more oomph and velocity, if I recall my World of Tanks Tank History correctly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True, and a valid point out, since the King Tiger had a bigger cartridge.  Still an 88mm, but it was like a Magnum version, quite a bit more oomph and velocity, if I recall my World of Tanks Tank History correctly.
View Quote

Yup..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could sent a battalion of tigers and the M1 kills them all before they fire a shot
View Quote

Yep I get that. I’m talking a one-off perfect money shot, maybe from a hidden position.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
We pool all our money together and I bet we could find out!

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
With an 88mm gun?

My guess is yes, but only with a rear shot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Fortunately the internet has answered this already.

100 KING TIGERS vs 10 ABRAMS - WW2 TANK vs MODERN TANK - Call to Arms - Scenario #2
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#15]
With a KT, it would be possible to get a mobility kill on an Abrams.  Not sure if you'd live long enough to take the shot, though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
The Abrams would start shit canning cats before they could even get in the fight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically, yes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Wittmann and his crew in a Konigstiger vs. a Saudi crew in an M1A2S. Go!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I think some of y'all are missing the point. OP isn't asking if a King Tiger could kill an Abrams in normal combat. He's asking if the 88mm gun is capable of knocking an Abrams out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#20]
No because an Apache would take it out before they loaded the main gun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
What could the long 88 penetrate if it had a modern apfsds projectile?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#22]
no because of the sticky bomb thrown on the Tiger's tread
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOL00YjWbHI
View Quote

Now this is an interesting scenario. 10 Abrams vs. 100 King Tigers.
Tigers will eventually swarm and kill them at a 10 to 1 ratio. Rational follows.....
1. The ability to use 120mm to maximum range possible terrain wise is not very likely or rarely ever seen.
2. Fire and maneuver. The Tigers will not be doing a simple frontal attack but rather using terrain to close distance while being overwatched. This attack will not be a turn based scenario.
3. Taking an individual tank out of the game does not have to be a catastrophic kill. It can be firepower (optics or gun), mobility, manpower, or communications as well.
4. A single vehicle taken out of fight by any one of the above methods exponentially increases number of threats they have to deal with rather quickly as well.
5. This is a simple tank on tank scenario. Throw in combined arms approach and things get dicey quick.
ETA: Quantity has a quality all its own
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tigers will eventually swarm and kill them at a 10 to 1 ratio. Rational follows.....
1. The ability to use 120mm to maximum range possible terrain wise is not very likely or rarely ever seen.
2. Fire and maneuver. The Tigers will not be doing a simple frontal attack but rather using terrain to close distance while being overwatched. This attack will not be a turn based scenario.
3. Taking an individual tank out of the game does not have to be a catastrophic kill. It can be firepower (optics or gun), mobility, manpower, or communications as well.
4. A single vehicle taken out of fight by any one of the above methods exponentially increases number of threats they have to deal with rather quickly as well.
5. This is a simple tank on tank scenario. Throw in combined arms approach and things get dicey quick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think some of y'all are missing the point. OP isn't asking if a King Tiger could kill an Abrams in normal combat. He's asking if the 88mm gun is capable of knocking an Abrams out.
View Quote

Which leads me to wonder what could've become of the 88, if it was updated to more modern projectiles like APFSDS.

ETA: Aaand beat by 8 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Is the Tiger shooting up into the Abram's belly or down onto the top of the Abrams?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s in the manual!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
The L71 88 was not slouch gun.  I’m sure it have no problem in the rear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It’s in the manual!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s in the manual!

Well we don’t have a field manual right now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is the Tiger shooting up into the Abram's belly or down onto the top of the Abrams?
View Quote

It also all depends on if Ditka is driving.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD doesn’t read.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

An 88 magnum? Does it shoot through schools?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#34]
A Tiger Tanks 88mm loaded with AP at almost point blank range would NOT penetrate an Abrams tank. At 100m loaded with AP could penetrate about 132 mm of hardened armor at an angle of 30°.

Newer M1A2 Abrams armor is equivalent to 950mm hardened armor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

GD doesn’t read.
View Quote

Ain't nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I love how this battle always happens on a giant pool table instead of in a city or forests.  One of the times we did this over the years I pointed out that an 88 would have zero problem sailing right through the top of an Abrams and some guy that forgot there are things called “hills” wondered how the Tiger was going to fly.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#37]
lol no

the 88's tungsten superkraut round wouldn't come close

gg wehraboos
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love how this battle always happens on a giant pool table instead of in a city or forests.  One of the times we did this over the years I pointed out that an 88 would have zero problem sailing right through the top of an Abrams and some guy that forgot there are things called “hills” wondered how the Tiger was going to fly.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Could it?  Sure...will it get close enough to do so?  No.  Commo and sensors will result in Tiger kill before Tiger even knows it's dead.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GD doesn’t read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD doesn’t read.

Pretty much. It could get an engine kill in the rear or a mobility kill on tracks but that’s about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Could it?  Sure...will it get close enough to do so?  No.  Commo and sensors will result in Tiger kill before Tiger even knows it's dead.
View Quote

Is the crew even awake? No commo or sensors on Abrams I know of can address that scenario.
ETA: To clarify, there has to be someone actively monitoring these sensors. There is no passive sensor at this time. Trophy perhaps.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A Tiger Tanks 88mm loaded with AP at almost point blank range would NOT penetrate an Abrams tank. At 100m loaded with AP could penetrate about 240 mm of hardened armor at an angle of 30°.

View Quote

APCR*

But this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Can a M24 Chaffee's LP 75mm take out a King Tiger? That's the disparity we're talking about here.

Answer: Yes, but it require Lottery-type luck to pull off.

I damn sure wouldn't want to be in a KT against an M1. Totally outclassed in every way.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Tankers are a small step up from sailors.

But with that said, if the Abrams sat there and did nothing, it could be disabled.  Given enough rounds the Tiger could eventually kill it.

Just let Abrams move, nope, total luck shot to just disable it.

Let Abrams maneuver and shoot, lots of dead Kraurts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Exit hole of a German 88mm.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the tigers are moving, slowly, the Abraham’s are moving quickly. With gun stabilization and tts that sees through the smoke etc.

Tigers are fucked

Read about 73 Easting
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wittmann and his crew in a Konigstiger vs. a Saudi crew in an M1A2S. Go!
View Quote

Wittmann and his crew would then have to figure out how to operate an abandoned M1A2S.

In German....."What's all this shit do????"
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A Tiger Tanks 88mm loaded with AP at almost point blank range would NOT penetrate an Abrams tank. At 100m loaded with AP could penetrate about 240 mm of hardened armor at an angle of 30°.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Take all the ammo out of the Tiger I or Tiger II and make an IED.  Then park the Tiger near the IED.  When the Abrams crew dismounts to look at the cool old tank you blow the IED.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe knock the track off, but it’s going to explode in a few seconds
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top