User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20 years ago physically sure mentally no.
These days mentally sure physically no. And honestly I'm in pretty damn good shape but that shit is no joke
View Quote
Kind of this.  20 years ago I was teaching scuba in my spare time (Cold water), skydiving, running 30 miles a week, weights, shooting at the range all I could.  Partying a lot too. I felt like I had literally unlimited energy.  And had a few ex military types in the dive community I was in telling me "You know, you can get paid to do this..."  But I would listen to all the bullshit they had to deal with when they were in and just couldn't picture it.  Now I think I could deal with the bullshit but the physical side would kill me.  Or maybe I still couldn't deal with the bullshit.  My life has been built around avoiding it.  Probably not a good fit and I now realize that is probably the most important thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nope, my classmates are doing the SEAL Screener this month ironically (vying for SOAS, Service Assignment and an eventual BUD/S date if all goes well)

I feel that you really, truthfully have to want it to succeed. USNA has roughly an 80% pass rate of Ensigns at BUD/S BTW.
View Quote
If that's true, it's because they have many more applicants than slots and can afford to choose only who they want.  They don't have that luxury with enlisted, they have trouble filling classes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If that's true, it's because they have many more applicants than slots and can afford to choose only who they want.  They don't have that luxury with enlisted, they have trouble filling classes.
View Quote
Yep, naturally this number varies from year to year.

Usually they have around 25 slots and many more than that attempting screener in fall and spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend who was as tough as me but could run faster always wanted to join seals.  He joined the navy was stationed out there and did workouts with the seals.  Said that wasn't so bad but they did some water stuff with him and he didn't even apply.  The quote was "I don't feel bad about it that cold water steals your soul."  

If he couldn't do it I know I couldn't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
back then ya...now..fuck no.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
At 24 I probably could have done it with 18 months prep time.  I just got out of the Marines and was in great shape.  Way too lazy to do something like that nowadays.  Plus, I have learned that having a warm bed and not freezing my d*** off at night is actually pretty nice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel like that working on a farm, lifting hay bales, swimming in the pond and chasing cows on foot BUD/S would be a welcome vacation. Long as none of the instructors got in my face because I would have to fuck them up or long as I didnt bang a instructors wife it would be super easy to pass.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Me? No!

My Son? 95% yes!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Less than 1% chance with even 2 years of prep.

I'm approaching 40.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd fail on medical DQ, so no.

(Numerous Broken Bones requiring screws and plates).

I'm not even qualified for the most POGUE/fobbit existence.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm surprised at how many people say they couldn't. The OP's question wasn't about old, broke assed people, or even who wants to be a SEAL.

With a 24 year old body, no other obligations, and a year and a half to prepare, I can't think of anything that most people couldn't do. I would guess closer to 87% of people could pass under those conditions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm surprised at how many people say they couldn't. The OP's question wasn't about old, broke assed people, or even who wants to be a SEAL.

With a 24 year old body, no other obligations, and a year and a half to prepare, I can't think of anything that most people couldn't do. I would guess closer to 87% of people could pass under those conditions.
View Quote
24 is ancient to go to BUD/S.

Given that the course has an 80% fail rate, and most of the trainees are much younger than 24, clearly you're mistaken.

It's almost like there might be more to it than just physical stamina.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even with 18 months to prepare, most 24 year olds probably couldn't meet the requirements to join any of the military branches, let alone become a seal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How much ibuprofen, tramadol, and muscle relaxers could I take?
All the Motrin in the world, They have it there....

Would I be allowed to go home every night and soak in the bathtub?
Actually, yes you can with exception to Hell week and when you are on the Island....

Is my orthopedic surgeon on base?
No, but they do have a pretty good Med team assigned to BUDS.

I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm in my 40's with a lot of miles so this is important.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I feel like that working on a farm, lifting hay bales, swimming in the pond and chasing cows on foot BUD/S would be a welcome vacation. Long as none of the instructors got in my face because I would have to fuck them up or long as I didnt bang a instructors wife it would be super easy to pass.
View Quote
So appropriate... Sarcasm is an art and I'm painting my master piece
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

24 is ancient to go to BUD/S.

Given that the course has an 80% fail rate, and most of the trainees are much younger than 24, clearly you're mistaken.

It's almost like there might be more to it than just physical stamina.
View Quote
Oh, I don't disagree. People either have the mindset to do it or they don't. Most of us don't and 18 months won't change that.  But, given 18 months to prepare, I can't imagine why any 24-year-old could not finish.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top