Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I see that shit all day long, I see it as professional as dress shoes if boots look good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
In TX/OK/KS/NE/WY and place like that you are ok. In NYC/Chicago/L.A. don't even think about.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
To the OP, Yes perfectly acceptable.  But I also feel they need to remain spit shined to a high gloss.  I hate seeing anybody with a nice suit on and jacked up dirty ass scuffed shoes.  

Besides I didnt know you were allowed to wear a suit without boots in Texas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It's only acceptable around here if your pants are at least 70% polyester.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Completely acceptable.  When I was working a job where I wore a suit, I wore Justin Ropers every day.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh I think that's cool!  The only time it would be a no-no would probably be a job interview.

In this age where suits are going away for business casual I think it's good to get out of the boring suit routine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to go around here. The more texture they have, the less casual they are though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
In a professional environment, anyone I meet wearing cowboy boots will automatically receive a 10 IQ point deduction in my first impression of them.  Same with visible tats.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL Texas.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mexican pimp look is your ticket to success.

Wearing costume footwear from last century, it's classy.

Is 1BigDog here yet?

OP

This is the advice that you can expect from the average member here who does not have a life outside of this place.

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing.  Good taste always works.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In a professional environment, anyone I meet wearing cowboy boots will automatically receive a 10 IQ point deduction in my first impression of them.  Same with visible tats.

I think most people are like you.  And I have come to the conclusion that anyone that has predisposed prejudices in a business environment receives a 20 IQ point deduction for my final impression of them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]

No shit man, that is awesome. I didn't always agree with him, but I like him and his boots are boss.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mexican pimp look is your ticket to success.

Wearing costume footwear from last century, it's classy.

Is 1BigDog here yet?

OP

This is the advice that you can expect from the average member here who does not have a life outside of this place.

Wear what you feel comfortable wearing.  Good taste always works.

You must have dowsed ARFcom looking for threads about being weird and tacky.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a mid 30's professional from Dallas who travels regularly for my job.  Whenever I am on-site I wear suits.  Yesterday I was walking down the stairs in my last pair of leather dress shoes and I had the sole split on me.  Instead of having a cobbler fix these, or buying new ones...I'm thinking of buying nice cowboy boots to go in their place.  

What say you, hive?  Are cowboy boots and a business suit acceptable?

Yes, if done tastefully in appropriate colors and leather.  Round toe western boots are actually hard to tell from dress shoes except for the heel, then there are nice quality ropers as well.

A pair boots in black bullhide  would be my choice. I wear boots with dress slacks and tie all the time, when I have to dress business casual, but then in  North Texas that attire is not unusual.

I don't care for the current fashion trends in men's business/dress shoes, they look like big square flattened bananas to me. A good pair of dressy western boots never goes out of style here.

I wore mine in the UK while I was on vacation this summer and got no end of admiration of them. I directed quite a few Brits to Cavenders.com.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been wanting a pair of cowboy boots.  I wanna get back to my roots.  I am afraid I am too tall for boots.  I am 6'4"
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a mid 30's professional from Dallas who travels regularly for my job.  Whenever I am on-site I wear suits.  Yesterday I was walking down the stairs in my last pair of leather dress shoes and I had the sole split on me.  Instead of having a cobbler fix these, or buying new ones...I'm thinking of buying nice cowboy boots to go in their place.  

It's fine but most of GD will find it unacceptable, most of them subscribe to the IBM dress code from 60's as being the only acceptable standard for business attire regardless of location.

Ironically, a good number of them will likely go to work in a pair of khaki shorts, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, short socks and a baseball hat while sporting tribal tattoo's from a tribe to which they have never belonged.

OP, honestly no one cares one fig.  I am sorry you have to wear a suit at all, hopefully someday the last 90 year old company president will retire and it will be end of that 19th century crap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been wanting a pair of cowboy boots.  I wanna get back to my roots.  I am afraid I am too tall for boots.  I am 6'4"

Not too tall for boots. If you are worried about it get some ropers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fine but most of GD will find it unacceptable, most of them subscribe to the IBM dress code from 60's as being the only acceptable standard for business attire regardless of location.

Ironically, a good number of them will likely go to work in a pair of khaki shorts, a t-shirt, tennis shoes, short socks and a baseball hat while sporting tribal tattoo's from a tribe to which they have never belonged.

OP, honestly no one cares one fig.  I am sorry you have to wear a suit at all, hopefully someday the last 90 year old company president will retire and it will be end of that 19th century crap.

I actually enjoy wearing a suit.  When I was in the Army I wore a uniform and I liked that too.  To me a suit is like my professional uniform .
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually enjoy wearing a suit.  When I was in the Army I wore a uniform and I liked that too.  To me a suit is like my professional uniform .

I think when Class A's are worn they should be worn with black western boots for troops stationed in Texas, unless Cochrans are worn. It would look a hell of a lot more professional than those horrid and uncomfortable low-quarters.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing wrong with a nice pair of cowboy boots with a business suit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#22]
it caps off the hayseed look perfectly
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Round toe and the hem should break slightly on the top of the foot and be slightly longer in back. High water pants are out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks dumb IMO.  Are you going to add a bolo tie with it?

Just because they don't look good with scrubs or cheap suits you don't have to rain on our parade

Funny you say that.  Used to work with a doc who liked to wear cowboy boots with scrubs.  Cool guy other than he looked ridiculous like that.  

He made up for by wearing suspenders instead of a belt when he wore non-scrubs to the hospital.  Was very awesome.  I can't wait until I'm old enough to pull off that look.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Round toed boots are rarely seen in my business unless you work on a rig.

Working an office you need snip toed or pointy.

Also, shiny for black, a lot of the brown boot wearers have slight scuffs. Slightly scuffed is 'still does some work' whereas shiny is 'office dweller' so a lot of people like to hit the middle.

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

HECK YA.
Show them who the man is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Agreed - just another reason to like the man...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask yourself, "Do I want to look like Gene Simmons?"

Only Two Words "Fuck" and "Yes"  I wear boots because they make my tongue longer.

if I had 7" platforms with demon head soles I'd rock that shit every day, even with shorts.

And the thread has officially plunged into the GD abyss.  At least I got some good discussion before we went full retard.

You never go full retard.

I'm sorry for ruining the decorum of GD.

You may now go back to discussing costume footwear for the business professional.

I like a nice dark suit with hoplite sandals. It conveys dedication of purpose, and a never-say-die attitude.

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/forum/60292-thumb2.jpg

Nobody want's to see hairy toes or toenail fungus... OP needs to get some of these:

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I was told only two groups of people can get away with it.  Cattle Ranchers, and Texas Rangers.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought the pimp cowboy boots went withe the ironed blue jeans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Only with the Stetson and a bolo tie...

ETA: plus you need the caddy with the long horns on the grille.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

longhorns are optional.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#32]
If it's good enough for George Strait, it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I wear cowboy boots when I wear a suit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Used to be the norm in Nevada.  But over the last 30 years we've been so overrun by frigging Californians that you rarely see it, or western suits anymore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks dumb IMO.  Are you going to add a bolo tie with it?

Just because they don't look good with scrubs or cheap suits you don't have to rain on our parade

Funny you say that.  Used to work with a doc who liked to wear cowboy boots with scrubs.  Cool guy other than he looked ridiculous like that.  

He made up for by wearing suspenders instead of a belt when he wore non-scrubs to the hospital.  Was very awesome.  I can't wait until I'm old enough to pull off that look.

Make sure you wear bowties, and give out lolipops to your pediatric patients. Have to do that too in order to complete the "old doddering doc that isn't subject to the dress code or infection control rules" look.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#36]
If I ever get an office job, I'll go in full retard with cowboy boots, "dress jeans", a big old stetson and a bolo tie. I'll wear a huge bowie on my belt and yell YEE-HAW randomly. I'll take this all on video too. THIS I SWEAR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If I ever get an office job, I'll go in full retard with cowboy boots, "dress jeans", a big old stetson and a bolo tie. I'll wear a huge bowie on my belt and yell YEE-HAW randomly. I'll take this all on video too. THIS I SWEAR.

And I thought I stuck out like an American when I visited Turkey, in my golf shirt and khaki shorts...

Hope you don't mind paying twice as much for everything.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Hell yeah.  A nice pair of ostrich or gator will go with anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I thought I stuck out like an American when I visited Turkey, in my golf shirt and khaki shorts...

Hell, I'll even import a 30-pack of natty lite and keep Knob Creek in my desk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna get raped. Those Turkish merchants can smell an American or a Brit from 1,000 feet way. You're like a hunter who just rubbed "doe in estrus" scent all over himself and wandered into a field full of stags.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I personally don't like it, but I see it every day.

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna get raped. Those Turkish merchants can smell an American or a Brit from 1,000 feet way. You're like a hunter who just rubbed "doe in estrus" scent all over himself and wandered into a field full of stags.

You know that I'm a Turk living in Turkey, right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - that's exactly my point. You're a Turk rubbing "American" all over yourself, hence my jokes about getting raped by merchants who think you're an American. Those shop owners in touristy places like Antalya will see you walking down the road dressed like Buffalo Bill, and start furiously re-writing price tags and getting their pitch ready for you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - that's exactly my point. You're a Turk rubbing "American" all over yourself, hence my jokes about getting raped by merchants who think you're an American.

Oh. I'm a bit stupid today I guess.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Standard clothing here.  Teachers, principals, supers, real estate sales(including women).  Many wear western suites.  YOU are from Tx. and ask this question?
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Actually it would be sort of funny to troll the Turkish merchants by pretending to be a stupid American tourist, then drop the bomb on them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes. As long as they are pretty nice boots. I always wore ostrich black when I needed to look good. If it was just for football trips or whatever I wore dark brown bullhide boots. I also wore a 6x stetson with either of these and was told numerous times how professional I looked. I don't do it for that, it is just how I prefer to dress, but it is nice to know I make good choices.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Also go square toe. The illegals have been really big into the pointed or roper toe.Not that it really matters I guess, but I like to be different. They haven't jumped on the square train yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Actually it would be sort of funny to troll the Turkish merchants by pretending to be a stupid American tourist, then drop the bomb on them.

They get VERY mad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Once you start with that look, just keep an eye out for this guy

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top