Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/18/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
So I live in a neighborhood that backs up to a large farm field bordered by a woods.  I see yotes on an infrequent basis but hear them a lot.  So the wife has a couple of small dogs and she lets them out in the fenced yard.  (The fence would be no problem for coyotes to get over)  We have had some pets disappear around here lately.  I know the best thing is to watch them when they are out but sometimes things happen.  So my question is this.  In this situation would the coyote kill immediately or try and grab the dog and run off?  If I heard anything would I have any chance to get a round off from my pistol.  (assuming it was at hand)  Just not sure about this. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely will try and drag them off, but not uncommon for them to kill the pet in the process.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Outdoor Pets are simply Coyote food supplies.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor lost a small dog last winter to a coyote. We found it dying.

Small dogs need to be inside at night in coyote areas. Stand with them for nighttime potty breaks.

A coyote once grabbed a neighbors cat off her deck while she was on the deck with the cat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The yotes send out a single 'scout' that lures / play bows the pet out of the yard (if able) and then draws them into the pack where they get ripped apart and eaten.  Keep any animal you want to keep secured inside.  You will not get a shot off as yotes are an adaptive bunch that have a healthy fear of humans.  

ETA: the packs in the hill country seem to follow behind the Mountain Lion rotation.  Ie we don't see / hear them until a week after the Mountain Lion rolls around and makes kills.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up in an area in L.A., backed up against the Santa Monica mountains.

Lots of developments in the hilly areas.  Lots of coyotes.

If I had a dollar for every pet that I heard dragged off to their death, because the owners wanted them out in the back yard at night, I could buy a new pimpy rifle.

We'd have our windows open at night and we could guess the type of pet it  was, the sound was so clear.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Coyotes are devious little fucks, behind me are state and national forest, I hear them most nights. 

Last week I heard them so I went out with my pup.   The coyotes were about 200 yards away in the trees, while I was walking one took off from behind the well shack which is only 50 yards from the house.

I'm fairly sure the ones far out were trying to lure my pup out where the one behind the well shack could grab her.

Last summer one was at a full run through the yard with one of my hens in it's mouth, a Rhode Island Red probably about 4 or 5 pounds, a small dog wouldn't be a problem for one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coyotes are devious little fucks, behind me are state and national forest, I hear them most nights. 

Last week I heard them so I went out with my pup.   The coyotes were about 200 yards away in the trees, while I was walking one took off from behind the well shack which is only 50 yards from the house.

I'm fairly sure the ones far out were trying to lure my pup out where the one behind the well shack could grab her.

Last summer one was at a full run through the yard with one of my hens in it's mouth, a Rhode Island Red probably about 4 or 5 pounds, a small dog wouldn't be a problem for one.
View Quote
I've seen the same behavior of baiting.  They are devious. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Nature, how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The dogs are always inside at night.  They are out just long enough for a bathroom break.  Try and keep a close eye on them but you never know.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
They tried to lure my dog into the cornfield a few times a couple years ago. They got a Golden Retriever down the block several years before that.

Don’t leave your dog unattended.

TC
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The coyote would have to jump the fence, grab the dog and jump back over the fence.  I am sure they could probably do that but at least the dogs wouldn't get lured away because they can't get out of the fence.  I will make sure we watch closer nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
They will be gone with a small dog so fast your head will spin.  Seriously if you like your pets build a fence/wall they can not get over.

And let me tell you - coyotes can scale some impressive walls.  I had a pool wall/fence in AZ that met the 6' height requirements of the city.  I spotted a coyote inside it.  I wondered if he scaled the wall or squeezed through the view fence which was maybe 5 inches wide.   He sauntered around looking for whatever coyotes look for and when he reached the end of the yard simply leapt to the top of the wall.  Landed on top and looked around before jumping down the other side.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I live in a neighborhood that backs up to a large farm field bordered by a woods.  I see yotes on an infrequent basis but hear them a lot.  So the wife has a couple of small dogs and she lets them out in the fenced yard.  (The fence would be no problem for coyotes to get over)  We have had some pets disappear around here lately.  I know the best thing is to watch them when they are out but sometimes things happen.  So my question is this.  In this situation would the coyote kill immediately or try and grab the dog and run off?  If I heard anything would I have any chance to get a round off from my pistol.  (assuming it was at hand)  Just not sure about this. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I keep a ruger 10/22 handy for them, CCI minimags work great. Haven't had to for the past few years because my old fat dog keeps them away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread has renewed my interest in killing coyotes. Not a hunter, more like I want to wipe them out because they killed my kitty back in 2012. What's the best way? I've been thinking a bait pile with a motion activated light.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread has renewed my interest in killing coyotes. Not a hunter, more like I want to wipe them out because they killed my kitty back in 2012. What's the best way? I've been thinking a bait pile with a motion activated light.
View Quote
Bait and a motion activated driveway alarm.

leave the bait out for a few days in an area you have clear sight of from an extra bathroom or bedroom window.

On the 3rd or 4th night turn on the alarm, leave the window open and have a loaded weapon nearbye.

Alarm goes off, skulk into the room and bang.

Rinse and repeat
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s the circle of life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw a video of a yote hopping a 6 foot wall cat in it's mouth and last year they had a pack of yotes following an old man as he was walking his golden in a gated community in a densely populated area. if yotes are nearby I would be walking the dog with a Benelli M2 or M4 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#21]
OK that's it, I'm sufficiently inspired to go kill some yotes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw a very large (biggest I’ve ever seen personally) in my tree line the other night.  

Thing was not that much smaller than my 80lbs German Shepherd.  Im sure it wasn’t as big but it damn sure looked it.  Slid off into the dark.

Quiet as the breeze.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]
The other morning my wife was letting our dogs (yellow lab, Belgian Malinois) out in our fenced back yard and it was still dark out. Next thing I heard was her screaming about a coyote. By the time I got to the back door with my pistol it was already over. She said when she opened the back door, our Belgian immediately went to the back corner where there is a large green electrical box. Next thing she saw was the coyote run from behind with our Belgian aggressively chasing it. She said our Belgian chased it right up the deck and right back down. Yellow lab didn't even stop peeing to join in the fun, shes old though. I still have no clue how it got in our backyard, we have a six foot fence and all of our neighbors have fenced in yards.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Coyotes need to be killed indiscriminately
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd kill every coyote.  They'll kill dogs and cats.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was growing up we lived on several acres out in the country. Out rottie would kill a coyote every few years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I've already told the wife, if we move to the country I'm getting night vision and a laser.  I'll add in my cans and kill all those nasty bastards I can.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Foxes will also be a problem for you.
I've seen, on two occasions, foxes making off with full grown cats that they've killed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep 2 Maremma (90 - 100 lbs each)outside 100% on my 5 ackers. Property backs to abandoned orange goves. My dags patrol the goves and my land constantly. I have seen minor fighting wounds on my dags. For the most part the yotes stay clear of them. In fact they wait till they patrol and the yotes attack my chicken coop. I had one yote chase a hen right up to my back porch( this was at about 3pm was surprised at the day light raid)Dropped him with one 7.62x39. That yote was about 50lbs.

I have seen group diversion tactics as well. Yotes would make a ruckus at the front of my property and drawl my dogs front, while another group of yotes raids my chicken coop in back.

My property is fenced with metal grid and wood poles. I have seen the yotes run at the fence, slide like they were stealing second base and pop right under it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're near the Boise area, I have my spotlighting permit, PVS14, and a suppressed upper with IR laser. I've never been predator hunting but am willing to be an attentive student. My daytime upper's calculated dope also has been tested successfully on steel to 550 yards suppressed.

@50-140
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Get NV or Thermal, take care of those fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK that's it, I'm sufficiently inspired to go kill some yotes.
View Quote
Works for me

Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've already told the wife, if we move to the country I'm getting night vision and a laser.  I'll add in my cans and kill all those nasty bastards I can.  
View Quote
Country?

I’m in the suburbs 5 miles from a city of 150,000. They come thru here all the damn time. Northeastern yotes seem large to me compared to the western shitdogs I see in pics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Country?

I’m in the suburbs 5 miles from a city of 150,000. They come thru here all the damn time. Northeastern yotes seem large to me compared to the western shitdogs I see in pics.
View Quote
Yeah, we have them in town too.  Neighbors and cops might not like me prowling and blasting away in the burbs though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Xylitol meatballs. 3 grams will kill a 65# dog. $10lb on Amazon, it's an artificial sweetener used in Orbit gum among other food items. Not regulated like cyanide or other anti-predator poisons & agents. You obviously don't want it anywhere near or within the roaming range of domestic pets. Coyotes are decimating the deer and turkey populations and are snatching pets well inside the city limits as they are easier prey. I came home to more than a dozen standing in the middle of the road in broad daylight, they just looked at me before casually trotting off. Took me a few seconds to realize what I was seeing. Even if I had a truck gun, I'd been SOL, can't legally shoot from or across a road.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, we have them in town too.  Neighbors and cops might not like me prowling and blasting away in the burbs though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Country?

An accurate precharged pheumatic air rifle with a good shroud in 25cal @885 fps and nobody hears anything.  You want round nose pellets.  JSB 25 heavys are great if your rifle likes them and regular crossman 25's are harder and penetrate more.  At 40 yards or less it's extremely effective with good head shots day or night
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I just went coyote hunting for the 1st time this evening and had zero luck. I set up on a terrace with the caller about 75 yards away on a fence line. On my drive out there I passed several coon and possum roadkill, thinking next time I might stop and pick them up for bait.
Question for those with experience, do you do better in the evening or early in the morning?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#38]
We live in a suburb, 25miles outside of Cook County. Daughter and I were walking our 12 year old lab through the neighborhood a couple months ago. A yote ran down the center of the street and looked at me as it ran by. I noticed another one running parallel through the yards across the street. Neither one stopped, but they both watched us as they ran by. Our ever vigilant, protective lab never noticed a thing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just went coyote hunting for the 1st time this evening and had zero luck. I set up on a terrace with the caller about 75 yards away on a fence line. On my drive out there I passed several coon and possum roadkill, thinking next time I might stop and pick them up for bait.
Question for those with experience, do you do better in the evening or early in the morning?
View Quote
Not trying to be an idiot but it depends.

Depends on where they spent the night, if a known regular food source is around, if you're on a regular route etc.....

Have you seen them in that area?
Any sign of them regularly using the area?  

Best idea is to hit 2-3 spots a night for 20-40 minutes each.  Before you leave a spot try a loud howler once and if they respond try to estimate their location to pattern.

If multiple spots aren't available, don't spend too much time at the ones you have.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#40]
They killed rabbits and cats on our property....
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We live in a suburb, 25miles outside of Cook County. Daughter and I were walking our 12 year old lab through the neighborhood a couple months ago. A yote ran down the center of the street and looked at me as it ran by. I noticed another one running parallel through the yards across the street. Neither one stopped, but they both watched us as they ran by. Our ever vigilant, protective lab never noticed a thing.
View Quote
They are really bad here. And of course crook county is against exterminating the vermin.

Adopted a maltese (Usually I hate small dogs, but he has the personality of a great dane )

Honestly I worry even when Im out there with him. Hawks are another fear of mine.

I've seen coyotes maybe 500 yards away from my house in the brush though. I'm glad we have a 6 foot fenced yard, but I'm vigilant as hell at night.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They're amazing smart animals. Very human skittish.

Hitting a fleeing 'yote with a pistol round is nearly impossible as you'll be shooting in the dark a small very fast animal.
View Quote
I was visiting my uncle up on his farm in Idaho about 15-20 years ago and he had a den of coyotes on his property.  He said they would charge you if you got close to the den but all you had to do was pick up a stick and they'd run away.

I thought to myself "no way would a coyote charge me" and figured it was just my old bachelor uncle pulling my leg again.  So I walked up towards the den and one of the 'yote parents saw me and, to my surprise, started running directly at me.

So I did what my uncle suggested:  I picked up a stick and held it like it was a rifle.  That coyote turned 180 degrees in midair and disappeared.  They definitely know what a "thunderstick" is. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a total idiot when it comes to this and will take any advice I can get. This is a farm that is rarely hunted. I know they're there. The kids were telling me they hear them "over the hill" almost every night. I was just looking at Google Earth and think I need to change my approach because of the wind. This will be definitely be a learning experience for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The coyote would have to jump the fence, grab the dog and jump back over the fence.  I am sure they could probably do that but at least the dogs wouldn't get lured away because they can't get out of the fence.  I will make sure we watch closer nonetheless.
View Quote
There was an old lady a coupla neighborhoods away that had her chihuahua snatched out of her fenced yard in broad daylight. She chased the yote on foot for four blocks and managed to get the dog back, it was alive but only lived a couple more days.

Small dogs and cats get snagged quickly and are usually killed quickly to mitigate struggle.

Another neighbor had her cat grabbed literally a coupla minutes after letting it out. There were three yotes and when she tried to advance on them they started to turn on her so she ran back in the house.

We have yotes come around ( yote scat in our yard and I see em trucking down our street at night and early morning) so our dogs do not go out unsupervised but the lady couple doors away leaves 3 small dogs out all day and night and nothing's gone down yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Christ, one was spotted in the schoolyard where my kids go to school... predawn darkness, but still...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#47]
After the yotes moved into our area some time back, our neighbor who always had farm dogs that had free run of the outside ended up losing all three of his dogs in a single summer. Two beagles and a big lab, all got killed. I found both the beagles in our woods....what was left of them.

Yotes will fuck up pets, right now. Even if you have a fighter, if they are inclined the pack will make quick work of it. A single yote can snatch or kill a small dog before it has time to yap. Amazing hunters.

I hate them, but admire their guile and methods.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Country?

View Quote
You would be correct. Over in the northeast you have what are called coywolf, which as the name would suggest is a hybrid mostly between gray wolf and coyote. Out west, we have more of a pure coyote.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#49]
https://youtu.be/TQbXSl1ReuQ
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Owls will also carry off small dogs in my area. If the dog is too heavy it will most likely die from the attempted neck lift.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top