Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The burgers are meh.  The fries suck.  The dinners are good.  The green beans are awesome.  The coleslaw is decent and the shaved prime rib sandwich is fucking amazing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Culver's is fast food.

I like them, there's one down the street from my dad's house. I eat there maybe once a month. Better than McD's and BK.

I like the prices at Wendy's better.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Custard... Chocolate and vanilla and flavor or the day.

Fries resemble Ore Idea fries, which they most likely are.

Concrete shakes... Super thick and good.

Custard "Blizzards"... Not sure what they are called.

Lemon ice.  Double butter burger deluxe is also good.  Reubens, etc.

Beef Pot Roast Sammich<<<<Crack to my 10-year old daughter.

A more homespun menu.  It is very good for fast food. Mashed potatoes, chicken, pot roast dinner...

Better than almost all other chains.  Clean and well run.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Port Orange?

Yeah its damn good I think.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
to those comparing it to mcdonalds ... pffft

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How does it feel to be so wrong you don't even know you're wrong?

Congrats, you're now the only person on my ignore list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In-N-Out doesn't hold a flame to Culver's. INO sucks donkey balls.

Where in florida is one being built?

Culver's burgers aren't bad, but they're not memorable either.  The same can't be said for In-n-Out.

In-N-Out are memorably bad. I tried it a few times, a few different ways. None of it good for the price. Culver's prices crept up, to be fair so I guess it's the same. Is the burger awesome? Hell no, I can make better at home. For fast food, they have clean kitchen, dining area, bathrooms, custard that's delicious, curds (since I don't do fries, generally) and PEPSI. Overall valuation is good. INO is burger, crap fries, meh shakes, and that's it. Dining areas generally clean but I've seen a few dirty INO. Across the country I have yet to find a dirty Culver's (or Chick Fil A for that matter.)

Fast food is serious business.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Pork tenderloin sammich with pickles lettuce mayo and a cup of bbq sauce .... Mmmmmmm

Eta holy hell I forgot the fried chicken dinner that's good eats man
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was stationed in Colorado Springs, it was the best fast food place.  Clean and friendly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]
We just got one were I live they are pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you trying to be funny? White Castle is the only chain in the country that's actually worse than McDonalds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty good but still not White Castle!

Are you trying to be funny? White Castle is the only chain in the country that's actually worse than McDonalds.

I would eat MRE's before White Castle.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I live u[p the road from the VERY FIRST Culver's in sauk city. I like the food, just a tad pricy for some shit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#13]
It's better than McDonald's.

Then again, I imagine dogshit is, too.

For food brought to your car, it's great. Compared to something cooked to order(as in, how you specifically order, not just cooked when ordered), or by yourself to your liking it's fair.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Ate at one when I went to Michigan. Not bad for a fast food joint, but not something I would call great either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In case anyone is old enough to remember, their root beer tastes exactly like the old fashioned A&W root beer.  Good stuff!!
View Quote

Thanks for that.  I never even thought to try the root beer, since I almost never drink soda any more.

But if it really tastes like old-fashioned A&W, then I am in SERIOUS trouble.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Their burgers always remind me of Whataburger and thats not a bad thing.

The rest of the Culvers menu is quite good too. Culvers frozen custard is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
yes
View Quote

He's right you know.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Another thing I like about Culvers is that they always have a couple of extra people on shift (mostly retirees it seems) walking around the dining area saying hello and helping bus tables.  I'm OK with paying a little extra to a company that values employing people to improve the spending experience.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/O8GSEzd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Nqoonl.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for that.  I never even thought to try the root beer, since I almost never drink soda any more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In case anyone is old enough to remember, their root beer tastes exactly like the old fashioned A&W root beer.  Good stuff!!

I've got one that is 0.5 miles from my driveway to the drive thru according to Google earth.  I remember the old A&W's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]

This food is on the higher end of this type of restaurant.  They use fresh ingredients and prepare to order.  

Plus, I don't think you guys get a lot of frozen custard in FL.  You may never eat regular ice cream again!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn you
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed, it's insane.   At least this thread has let me know what members to never take food advice from.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#24]

They just built about 5 of these down here in SW FLA.

Anything that Wisconsin fatties are good at making (hamburgers, ice cream, cheese curds) is good to go at Culvers.

Anything Wisconsonites are bad at (salads, fish, coleslaw) is going to be Godawful so don't order it.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
My favorite fast food chain.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Worth stopping by.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You have obviously never been to a Friday night fish fry at ANY location in Cheeseland.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything that Wisconsin fatties are good at making (hamburgers, ice cream, cheese curds) is good to go at Culvers.

Anything Wisconsonites are bad at (salads, fish, coleslaw) is going to be Godawful so don't order it.

You have obviously never been to a Friday night fish fry at ANY location in Cheeseland.  

No kidding. There are restaurants that either bank on their Friday fish fry or are only open in Fridays in practically every town in WI.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never been to a fish fry in WI? Walleye, pike, crappie, bluegill, whitefish, etc, etc.....its glorious
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's going off of stereotypes, I doubt he's ever been to WI. If he had, it obviously wasn't for very long.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, bad at fish? You've never been to WI, have you? 15,000 inland lakes, and Lake Michigan and Superior, and you think we don't know how to cook fish?

Just be careful if you go to MN. Some of those weirdos soak their fish in lye (a tradition brought from some Nordic countries. You might find a few ludefisk eaters in WI, but not as many.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Frozen custard.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It really is. I grew up in Wisconsin, went to the University of Wisconsin, then moved to MS when I got stationed there. Attitude is similar, so it wasn't a big change.

I'm now stationed in NJ, and what you described is very accurate.

You're also accurate when talking about being proud of what we have. I work with people from all over the country and there are two states that people are the most vocal about being from and being proud of - Texas and Wisconsin. Texas, because well, Texas. Wisconsin is just a different kind of place. The Packers and the Badgers are a lifestyle, not just a team we root for or a college we went to. I am damn proud to be from WI and even more proud to be a Badger alum, and that sentiment is felt very strongly throughout the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me give you a perfect example of what I mean by Midwest v. the coasts.

Say you go into a non-chain, semi-casual restaurant.  Neighborhood, locally-owned place, maybe even regionally famous.  The kind of joint that gets a lot of repeat business.

On the coasts, you'll pay your money and you'll get a good meal.  After a few repeat visits, you'll get to know the people there, and maybe develop a rapport.  The bartender will remember your favorite drink, the owner will wave hi as he walks the tables, maybe you'll make some chatter about current events of local interest.  The menu will be good stuff, often with seasonal options, and pared down to maybe 25-30 items.  They may or may not have a chef's special of the day/week.  Maybe they'll have a rotating soup or vegetable.  Generally ordered a la carte, but entrees come with a choice of two sides.  That sort of thing.  Everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about here.

But the Midwest...  It's like you teleported back in time to the 1980s.  If there was a smoking section, I'd swear I was back in 1985.  Booths with the back-to-back benches and tables not attached to the floor or anything.  Small chairs for fat butts.  Some places don't have free refills on soda.  There's a glass-front deli cooler at the front door that showcases all the cakes and pies for dessert (and you have a fuckton).  The waitress waddles up to your table beaming with joy and starts making small talk.  No rush, what are you in town for, well, my sister's husband just...  and this is normal.  Patrons at one table will talk to patrons at another table.  Aw, you like the Packers?  Me too!  Go Packers!  And then there's the question that comes as a complete surprise.  What kind of dressing do you want on your salad?  My salad?  But I only ordered a chicken sandwich.  That's okay, everything comes with a salad.  Remember that shit from your childhood?  And it's in the fake wooden bowl, with sliced tomatoes (obviously from the sandwich prep station), canned black olives, the red onion slice thoughtfully placed on top so it can be removed if you don't like raw onion...  Everybody gets a fucking salad.  No reason, it's just polite.  It's hospitality.  And the menu...  holy shit, there's got to be a hundred things on this damn menu.  Why would you ever have so much shit on there?  And it never changes.  Oh, you might get a special once in a while, but it's just going to be some variation on a regular menu item.  Oh, it's the "cowboy" burger!  We put barbecue sauce on it.  Ooooh, that sounds fancy.

It's the fuckin salad, though.  It's simple, it hardly costs anything, but nobody on the coasts does it.  Oh, you can order a side salad.  But that takes something away from the meal.  The Midwest, no matter what you order, you're getting ten pieces of lettuce, two tomato slices, and some other small things.  It's the smallest of things, and so easily overlooked, but it's that mark of hospitality that makes all the difference.

You can't do that on the coasts.  You'll tie up a table for 90 minutes.  You'll go out of business.  You've got food to serve and taxes to pay.  A half empty restaurant with friendly service and free shit?  You'd last 3 months in any coastal state.

But not in the Midwest.  You'll be the anchor of the damn community.

Crazy.  It's like a different planet out there.

It really is. I grew up in Wisconsin, went to the University of Wisconsin, then moved to MS when I got stationed there. Attitude is similar, so it wasn't a big change.

I'm now stationed in NJ, and what you described is very accurate.

You're also accurate when talking about being proud of what we have. I work with people from all over the country and there are two states that people are the most vocal about being from and being proud of - Texas and Wisconsin. Texas, because well, Texas. Wisconsin is just a different kind of place. The Packers and the Badgers are a lifestyle, not just a team we root for or a college we went to. I am damn proud to be from WI and even more proud to be a Badger alum, and that sentiment is felt very strongly throughout the state.

Just so you two realize... Wisconsin is not the sum of the Midwest, and L.A. is not the sum of the West Coast. Here in Michigan, culinary innovation thrives, and we have every type of food (in it's authentic forms) available. Sure, I've seen the shit-shows you've described here, but I've seen them all over California as well. Try not to smother yourself under those blanket statements...
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty good but still not White Castle!

we call it "White Casket" cuz you'll die (at least on the inside) if you eat to much of that shit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I got some chicken strips from Culvers for dinner. Good stuff  Maybe a little better than Carl's Jr. chicken.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#36]
The Culvers near me just opened and I ate there today for the first time.

Wisconsin Cheese curds 7/10 they were ok, but I probably wouldn't order them again.
The Culver's Deluxe burger 9/10 best fast food burger I've had in a while. Good quality beef, fresh, and tasty.
Fries 4/10 I was dissapointed in the fries. They reminded me of cheap diner crinkle cut fries. They should be better for what you pay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Culver's Deluxe burger 9/10 best fast food burger I've had in a while. Good quality beef, fresh, and tasty.
View Quote

consistent with my experience

I like the fries a lot, but they vary by location. If they cook them long enough to get them crisp, they're awesome, but I've been to a few locations that undercook them, then they suck.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The curds are good.

The shakes are good.

"Butterburgers" are...  eh.  I mean, not bad, but it's still a fast food burger.

I would rather have In-n-Out, but I also like cheese curds.

Ranch dressing is disgusting.  lol

In-N-Out doesn't hold a flame to Culver's. INO sucks donkey balls.

Where in florida is one being built?

Culver's burgers aren't bad, but they're not memorable either.  The same can't be said for In-n-Out.

In-N-Out are memorably bad. I tried it a few times, a few different ways. None of it good for the price. Culver's prices crept up, to be fair so I guess it's the same. Is the burger awesome? Hell no, I can make better at home. For fast food, they have clean kitchen, dining area, bathrooms, custard that's delicious, curds (since I don't do fries, generally) and PEPSI. Overall valuation is good. INO is burger, crap fries, meh shakes, and that's it. Dining areas generally clean but I've seen a few dirty INO. Across the country I have yet to find a dirty Culver's (or Chick Fil A for that matter.)

Joined March 2015
1868 posts
Average 15.5 posts/day

Likes Pepsi over Coke

WTF does he know about anything?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Woah, woah, woah.  Fat-assed Wisconsinites invented the fish fry.  The cod is GTG.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Culver's is where all the old people hang out. They even play old-timey music in the dining area.

The food is pretty decent though, especially for fast food. Worth a try.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#41]
yes!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#42]
IMO, they are just Okay.  Just below Five Guys and Steak N Shake on the Yummy scale.    

Their shakes suck balls though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
IMO, they are just Okay.  Just below Five Guys and Steak N Shake on the Yummy scale.    

Their shakes suck balls though.
View Quote

You are not human!  

Question, do all stores advertise the flavor of the day or is that a regional thing?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Walnut flavored shakes were to kill for. but In &  Out has better burgers....Game on...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top