Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2016 8:42:44 PM EDT
Well?

These are the planes that actually won WW2.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandfather, who flew the Hump at the end of WW2 with the 1305th AAFBU, would've said the C-46.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Dakota.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell if I know
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
C-47.

C-46s were used in Operation Varsity, the 1945 airborne operation into Germany, and took heavy casualties.  Less resilient by far.

C-47s were designed before there was a lot of knowledge about metal fatigue and they were very over-engineered. Explains their longevity.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
C-47 by a mile.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The C-47 is still in use
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Range and payload

C-46

Just like most stuff that served in Europe instead of the Pacific, C-47 gets all the press.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Whichever one bombed Pearl Harbor.  That's the one that gets my vote.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
No contest, -47.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The C-47 is still in use
View Quote

So is the ugly ass C-46, surprisingly enough.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]

CNAC Pilots preferred the C-47.

Structurally, the C-46's couldn't take
the rigors of flying the Hump, and they
suffered far more structural damage than
the old reliable DC-3s/C-47s.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
During WW2....Douglas CH-47 by a mile.

They had a TON of teething problems with the C-46. Something about pooling loose avgas in the wingroots and then igniting during flight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Grandpa flew the C46 in the pacific and he liked it.  

He transported wounded and used to say they would throw bolts and shit down the isle like it was falling apart while they were in the air.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The 47 had a huge reputation of durability, what ever it's other faults.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
C47, one of the nicest birds still in the sky.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The C-47 is still in use

So is the ugly ass C-46, surprisingly enough.

http://www.buffaloairways.com/uploads/images/pages/avo-small.JPG

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/imagesC-46/24.jpg

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]
C-47 - only because I have jumped out of one several times.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#19]
One of my mentors retired with over 22,000 hours with about half of that in the 747 with Japan Air Lines. His first "airline" job was flying CAM air military contracts in the C-46, and although he spoke well of the airplane he always said it "seperated the men from the boys!"

Another friend of mine has tons of time in both the DC-3 and the C-46, but always talks about his experiences in the C-46. I've found pilots that fly difficult airplane are rabidly loyal to those airplanes even though they were hard to fly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
While not as mechanically reliable during the war, each C46 was capable of carrying three times the load at twice the range and at higher speed than each C47.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
There is an old saying in re the C-47, that being that if you could find a way to get air to the engines, you could fly one to the moon.

There was a instance in WWII where the Indian cargo workers loaded a C-47 in Kilos instead of pounds. The plane took two tries to get off the ground but did make the trip over the hump into China. As the story goes, they did not discover the error until the plane landed in China. I'll take the C-47.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Range and payload

C-46

Just like most stuff that served in Europe instead of the Pacific, C-47 gets all the press.
View Quote

Good point, but plenty of C-47s were used in the PTO too. They were everywhere.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of my mentors retired with over 22,000 hours with about half of that in the 747 with Japan Air Lines. His first "airline" job was flying CAM air military contracts in the C-46, and although he spoke well of the airplane he always said it "seperated the men from the boys!"

Another friend of mine has tons of time in both the DC-3 and the C-46, but always talks about his experiences in the C-46. I've found pilots that fly difficult airplane are rabidly loyal to those airplanes even though they were hard to fly.
View Quote

True. My current CP is a rabid Mu-2 diehard. I've flown some tired and underpowered pigs in my day but nothing professionally I thought was a bad airplane.

I got to sit in the CAF C-46 at Camarillo. She's a big sonofabitch. Like the B-26, the C-46 was a modern airplane, with old airplane vices. That is a vicious combination.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I once had a patient that flew c 46's over the Himalayas to support the chinese against the japs.  Apparently a fair number flew into the mountains.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

True. My current CP is a rabid Mu-2 diehard. I've flown some tired and underpowered pigs in my day but nothing professionally I thought was a bad airplane.

I got to sit in the CAF C-46 at Camarillo. She's a big sonofabitch. Like the B-26, the C-46 was a modern airplane, with old airplane vices. That is a vicious combination.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive personally known 3 people that had MU2s.

Two guys absolutely loved them, and one guy stalled it at pattern altitude.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]

SO and I on a 47
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The C-47 is still in use
View Quote

And will be long after we are gone.

IIRC the C46 Commando was not nearly as forgiving a plane as the Dakota and was a maintenance hog...
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 The old McDonnell Aircraft plant across from the terminal at Lambert Field was used by Curtiss for C-46 manufacture.

View Quote

Did not know that...thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Want.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Drop the jugs, plug in the PT-6s.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
C-47/R4D/DC-3 is the enduring giant, alongside the C-130 and C-17.

The C-46 cross section is larger and carries more than twice the useful load, and also cool.  The old McDonnell Aircraft plant across from the terminal at Lambert Field was used by Curtiss for C-46 manufacture.

LOL, you wouldn't say that if you had flown one.

Not nice, but classic and cool.  Slow, heavy controls, noisy, and a cockpit that is hot, cold, and wet, sometimes all at the same time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The C-46 cross section is larger and carries more than twice the useful load, and also cool.  The old McDonnell Aircraft plant across from the terminal at Lambert Field was used by Curtiss for C-46 manufacture.

Quoted:

Not nice, but classic and cool.  Slow, heavy controls, noisy, and a cockpit that is hot, cold, and wet, sometimes all at the same time.

I have never flown one, but I have flown in one.   Its an interesting ride for certain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a bunch of pictures of a C-46 from about 2 years ago  on my camera from the airport near where I grew up , They were maintaining it . It was way bigger than a 47 and cool but .....
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/BaslerDc-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/BaslerDc-3.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/lowpass.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/lowpass.jpg</a>

Want.
View Quote

Thats a Basler Turbo Conversion I can tell by the engines...    If  I ever get my own fuck you money I will have a Basler DC3
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot the smell of gas and oil
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I worked on AC47s in Vietnam. Never saw an AC46. For longevity, C47.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats a Basler Turbo Conversion I can tell by the engines...    If  I ever get my own fuck you money I will have a Basler DC3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/BaslerDc-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/BaslerDc-3.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/lowpass.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/lowpass.jpg</a>

Want.

Its actually a Dodson. I know that because I uploaded a video of it taking off to youtube and incorrectly identified it as a Basler and a Dodson representative left me a message to correct in video info
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
C-47 - only because I have jumped out of one several times.
View Quote

On purpose?

LC
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Its actually a Dodson. I know that because I uploaded a video of it taking off to youtube and incorrectly identified it as a Basler and a Dodson representative left me a message to correct in video info
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want.

I stand corrected.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My grandfather, who flew the Hump at the end of WW2 with the 1305th AAFBU, would've said the C-46.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc426/jlheard3/headshot_zpsa595324a.jpg

View Quote

My grandfather also flew C46's over the hump. After the war he sold machine tools in California then became a test engineer for Chrysler. He never flew again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Back in the olden days when I lived in Oshkosh I got to see all kinds of interesting aircraft...Basler Aviation was a fun place to cruise by once they started up retrofitting C-47 with turbos.
Here is a historical piece they've started on...

for you interest...

In an Oshkosh aircraft boneyard, the first plane of D-Day was found
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, I worked on AC47s in Vietnam. Never saw an AC46. For longevity, C47.  
View Quote

I think the fact that the USAF mothballed all the C-46s almost immediately after the end of WWII while keeping the C-47 in service says a lot about the issue.  Much the same as how the B-24s were mothballed while the B-17s stayed around and the B-25s stayed in service while the B-26s were scrapped.

The war service records gave the maintenance and logistics costs of the competing aircraft and the lower costs of operation won out in all three cases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Back in the olden days when I lived in Oshkosh I got to see all kinds of interesting aircraft...Basler Aviation was a fun place to cruise by once they started up retrofitting C-47 with turbos.

for you interest...

View Quote

awesome
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#45]
A late friend of mine earned airborne wings for an unscheduled combat jump from a C-46 en route to occupation duty just after Japan surrendered.  It caught on fire about 100 miles before their destination, and the Japs on the ground honored the armistice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

awesome
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

for you interest...

awesome
Incredible.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#47]
They put guns on the C-47 and killed shit with them.

That makes it the winner to me.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Which one had an "A" in front of it? There's your answer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

for you interest...

View Quote

Awesome 9divdoc Awesome
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad flew the C-46 for Delta Airlines.  He did not like it very much...he said you flew it all the way to the ramp and then backed away from it slowly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top